A question

Started by Sienna Maiu - M T, September 12, 2007, 12:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sienna Maiu - M T

Why is it that my rank is always Axe-Knight? That doesn't seem very DMFA-y.
yeah... this can be deleted or allowed to die as soon as I get an answer. [eg- How would I fix it?]

techmaster-glitch

D-moon's gonna be pi-i-i-issed....

Half the ranks are DMFA, half are CVRPG, like Spearman, Bat, and Bone-tosser.
I think. At least, that's what I've figured.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Fuyudenki

Actually, I'm a bit surprised, I don't see any list of ranks in the Help or FAQ files.

There's only one other board I can recall which intentionally didn't let users know the ranks, it's the forum at Irregular Webcomic, and the reason is that the forumites play a game with the administrator which goes something like this.

1: Administrator sets the forum ranks to arbitrary values.
2: Forumites logically deduce the exact values of the rank changes.
3: Administrator waits until the Forumites have nearly got all of the values nailed down, then jumbles them all up again!
4: repeat steps 2 and 3 indefinitely.

The only exception was that we once managed to figure them all out while he was on a month-long vacation.  He promptly changed the titles to chocolate-theme upon his return.

techmaster-glitch

Actually, Raist, that's incorrect. The list of ranks has been posted at least twice, I believe in the Outer Fortress a long time ago. I stumbled across them a few times. Dig around, you might find them.

Sienna Maiu - M T

but why the anger?

And I've looked... Not hard, but I have.

Fuyudenki

Yeah, a forum search revealed some two-dozen interesting threads, but none listing forum ranks.

you might find this interesting.  It's that game I mentioned earlier.

superluser

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

techmaster-glitch

Fuyudenki

Ah, so we now see Sienna only has 69 posts to go for sub-boss.  How many hours will that take?

And then another 1000 for Mistress Succubus.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Well that next one sounds plausible. but could really be either.
In either case I'm aiming for that one  >:3

Fuyudenki

you can only make 999 more posts once you get it, it's the last DMFA-based title for the board.

Unless they decide to make more...

Zedd

Who worries about Rank really...Its mearly just shows your really bored and want to show off how cool you are among others lower than you  :B

Sienna Maiu - M T

Well duh.

But in any case it would surely take me atleast a year to reach such a title.

Zedd

:shifty............

Oh look an eagle! *flee*

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Raist on September 12, 2007, 12:34:02 AM
Actually, I'm a bit surprised, I don't see any list of ranks in the Help or FAQ files.

That's deliberate. Where's the fun in finding them out if we just give them out? ;-]

Incidentally, after Master Cubi, there are at least another 3 DMFA-themed groups currently listed, including one I'm looking forward to reach in another few years or so. Provided we don't change the numbers by then.

Edit:
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 12, 2007, 12:22:46 AM
Half the ranks are DMFA, half are CVRPG, like Spearman, Bat, and Bone-tosser.
I think. At least, that's what I've figured.

Actually, it's not quite half DMFA, at present. Closer to a third. Although I'm not going to hand out any numbers - that would spoil our fun :)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ITOS

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 12, 2007, 09:45:02 AMActually, it's not quite half DMFA, at present. Closer to a third. Although I'm not going to hand out any numbers - that would spoil our fun :)

How? :confused
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Darkmoon

Yeah, there's still PLENTY of ranks to discover. It's just going to take you guys a LOOOOOOONG time to reach them all, especially the last one.

Trust me.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Sienna Maiu - M T

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkmoon on September 12, 2007, 12:19:14 PM
Trust me.

No, don't. Not if you value your sanity.

He's still right, though. ;-]

xHaZxMaTx

Dark Pegasus at 100,000 posts. :B

Darkmoon

"4 Yaks and a Dog" is at 8 Million. Try and get there... and then tell me what it's a reference to.

Fuyudenki

To reach 8 million posts, you would have to make more than 5000 posts per day, every day, for 4 years.

That's more than 200 posts per hour

or a rough average of about 4 posts per minute.

If I'm not mistaken, flood control will prevent users from posting more than about once every other minute.

which drops the indicated rate by a factor of 8

forcing a user to spend thirty-two years of nonstop posting to reach 8 million posts, and the best anyone I can see here has done so far is only one day's worth of that thirty-two years.

Highest title I ever saw on a board was Lord Spambot at 10,000 posts.  Five users tried to reach it.  Only one succeeded.  None of them are still active there.

RJ

If only we could edit post numbers.  :<

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Raist on September 12, 2007, 07:01:13 PM
If I'm not mistaken, flood control will prevent users from posting more than about once every other minute.

Every 30 seconds, so I think you're slightly mistaken. ;-]

Quote from: RJ on September 12, 2007, 07:07:39 PM
If only we could edit post numbers.  :<

You mean you can't? ;-]

techmaster-glitch

What the? The "Amazon" rank has been changed to "deer in the stobe room"? ???

EDIT: Wait a sec, almost all the ranks have been changed? Whaaaa?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Darkmoon

Pay no attention to the box behind the curtain. It's just a box. Honest.

I will say this much. The highest rank is over three times as high as the Spam-Bot one you mentioned.

Gives you something to work towards. Not that it's impossible, really. I managed, at one forum, to rank up almost 28,000 posts.

superluser

Quote from: Darkmoon on September 12, 2007, 09:51:42 PMI will say this much. The highest rank is over three times as high as the Spam-Bot one you mentioned.

So, less than 40,000?

I could get there in two months!

Of course, getting there without a bot would be much harder.

P.S. Any chance of adding a title at 40,000 and calling it Warhammer?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

xHaZxMaTx

'Over three times as high," isn't very specific.  After all, 100,000,000,000,000 is over three times 10,000, is it not?