[Rules] Titling Threads in the Tower of Art

Started by Darkmoon, November 26, 2007, 11:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

Much like as was done for all Comic Threads that are spread around the forums, we've decided that the Tower of Art threads need a little organization. This is because some of us would come in here, and often were lost as to what was going on.

I took the time to tag everything, hopefully correctly, and am now imparting my wisdom so this place stays relatively nice looking:

When you make a thread, firstly you must tag it as to what it is. This means putting AT THE FRONT OF THE TITLE such things as [Art] or [Story] or, if it's multiple things at once, [Story, Flash], etc.

If you're making a regularly updated repository, as many of the artists here do, please also put your name at the start of the thread, so that it looks something like:

[Art] Darkmoon
[Story] Darkmoon

Additionally, when you update, it would be nice if you tag the thread that you've updated it. You can also put a cute title if you like. Such a scenario would look like this:

[Art] Darkmoon: Land of Misery (12/1/07)

You can be creative with the titles, and use a little leeway in your tagging, but please be clear and concise, otherwise all this effort will be for naught, and then I'll be a very cranky admin.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Sienna Maiu - M T

Fair enough.

Good thing I've always been such a good reader, or else I'd be totally confused about what was going on.

xHaZxMaTx

Labeling your thread as 'Art' isn't very specific.  Not only that, it's a bit redundant; I mean, this sub-forum is dedicated to art, is it not?

Darkmoon

Art, is in pieces of what would classically be called "works of art" such as drawings, paintings, sculptures. This is as opposed to labeling Flash movies, Stories, Writings, etc, etc. t's an easy, quick reference term. However, you are moer than welcome to go into more detail if you so choose, such as:

[Drawings]
[Sculpture]
[Comics]

I was just trying to allow people leeway.

llearch n'n'daCorna

The other point is titles are limited to 80 characters. Taking up 20 or so by adding long names to things is going to frustrate people. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 27, 2007, 04:50:39 AM
The other point is titles are limited to 80 characters. Taking up 20 or so by adding long names to things is going to frustrate people. ;-]

Indeed.  It also makes the 'last post' column on the main index somewhat useless.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sienna Maiu - M T

perhaps then, the [Art] label could go last, so that the name could be visible from that perspective?

Darkmoon

I like having the [Art] or whatever first, since then I can make a quick scan of the forum when I actually enter it and see what all has been topic'd. Ease of reference.

Tapewolf

What happens if you have a collaboration? This happens quite a lot when one person does the lineart and another does the colouring.

For example:

[Art] Keaton The Black Jackal & James Starrunner - Furrae Chronicles ch.200 (31/11/2011)

...in this case, an 80 character field size would mean the date will be truncated.  Or would only the thread owner go in the title? (If so, wouldn't that be a little redundant as the thread owner is listed next to the title anyway?)

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 28, 2007, 04:14:11 AM
What happens if you have a collaboration? This happens quite a lot when one person does the lineart and another does the colouring.

For example:

[Art] Keaton The Black Jackal & James Starrunner - Furrae Chronicles ch.200 (31/11/2011)

...in this case, an 80 character field size would mean the date will be truncated.  Or would only the thread owner go in the title? (If so, wouldn't that be a little redundant as the thread owner is listed next to the title anyway?)

How's this?

[Art] KBJ & JS, FC ch. 200 (31/11/2011)

Regulars would know what it stands for, a newbie should pick up quick.

Darkmoon

Mostly I was just asking for the author's names in the title if it's one of the repository threads, such as Keaton the Black Jackal's Art Pad. Since they were putting their names into the thread titles for those specific threads (more so than any other type), it made sense to propagate that, since people are trained to look for them now.

If it's a one off piece, or set of pieces, where-in you don't want to post your names in the titles, don't feel like you have to.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Darkmoon on November 28, 2007, 11:25:47 AM
Mostly I was just asking for the author's names in the title if it's one of the repository threads, such as Keaton the Black Jackal's Art Pad.

Ah, so it's really intended for generic collections by a single author, rather than threads devoted to a single series (e.g. a story or comic strip)?
I took it to mean this was mandatory for all threads.

Darkmoon

Well, to be honest, if you're doing a series of sets, I don't see why they all can't just be in one thread that's updated periodically, much like the Artist Threads are now. Having a new one for each chapter always struck me as silly.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Indeed.
Especially when Ia* new-comer would have to backtrack to figure out what's going on.

*But I was subconsciously thinking it.

Gabi

~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Darkmoon

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on November 29, 2007, 04:22:27 AM
Indeed. Especially when a new-comer would have to backtrack to figure out what's going on.

That was specifically my reasoning on the matter, yes. ;)