A few questions on #785 ...

Started by mabfan55, July 03, 2007, 04:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabfan55

I am only around half way reading the comic then i decided to check a few newer  ones and i have few questions on #785 . Why do Fae decide to die ? After a few years do they suddenly feel a bit Suicidal ? Why would Mab not feel sad about her parents wanting to die?

But what i can see of Mab so far this seems to be strange because she is a nice friendly fun loving character but this seems a bit cold...?

I just found that strip weird and confusing .  :mowdizzy

Fuyudenki

We had this discussion a month ago, when 785 was put up.  Here's the gist of it.

1: Fae are a race with contagious ADHD
2: Fae don't die unless they want to.  They are effectively immortal.
3: after a while, Immortals eventually do pretty much everything that can be done, and all variants thereof.

Ultimately, after a few millenia, all Fae get bored, and decide to pass on their essence to another family, so they can have a beautiful, fuzzy bundle of contagious ADHD.

Now, the real question: Will the mods get around to mining this topic before, or after I hit the "Submit" button?

[edit]after, it seems.  Interesting.[/edit]

mabfan55

Thank you for you're quick reply i suppose its my fault for skipping trough the pages i shall make time to read all of DMFA i noticed the post  you mentioned but when i went to make my message in it it had a warning about posts over a month old. Last thing i wanna do is get mods angry . ;) :mowwink :mowsmile
Hope this post does not get mined... it was not that silly i hope! i am new here there is some things i dont fully understand so far. ;)

Damaris

Nope, you did the right thing by starting a new thread.  This one can stay open until rampant randomness ensues.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

xHaZxMaTx

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Azlan

I believe the only difference is in the yield and area of disaster.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

RJ

GabrielsThoughts

But there is no way you could have possibly done everything if you're immortal, you could always try ad create life without the subtraction of previous life. The mind has nearly infinite storage capacity and if you are immortal you don't have to worry about wasting resources, just develop new ones.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

xHaZxMaTx

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: RJ on July 03, 2007, 07:40:11 PM
Someone mentioned ADHD?  :U

I don't know, I wasn't paying attention...

Fuyudenki

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on July 03, 2007, 07:46:28 PM
But there is no way you could have possibly done everything if you're immortal, you could always try ad create life without the subtraction of previous life. The mind has nearly infinite storage capacity and if you are immortal you don't have to worry about wasting resources, just develop new ones.

I don't know about you, but I happen to like catgirls, could you not kill them off so quickly?

Aridas

people seem to forget that no fae actually dies, it's all metaphorical :<

techmaster-glitch

Depends on which way you look at it.
If you take only the essence of the soul, then technically no.
If you take the memories that constitute the conciousness of said soul, then technically yes.

Stygian

Is it just me, or do fae themselves actually seem metaphorical for something here? Hm. Maybe it's only me... In either case, I'd say they're the most unfortunate race we've seen hitherto in Furrae.

Also, this might have been mentioned before, but has not the occurrence of things like this increased linearly over the latest month or so, perfectly along with the moderators' randomness and gibbering? Yes, Llearch, I am looking at you...

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Raist on July 03, 2007, 08:04:39 PM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on July 03, 2007, 07:46:28 PM
But there is no way you could have possibly done everything if you're immortal, you could always try and create life without the subtraction of previous life. The mind has nearly infinite storage capacity and if you are immortal you don't have to worry about wasting resources, just develop new ones.

I don't know about you, but I happen to like catgirls, could you not kill them off so quickly?

when did I say I was killing off catgirls, my ideas would have them swarming the globe.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

xHaZxMaTx

Someone else can go look for it, I can't be bothered. :.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Stygian on July 03, 2007, 08:35:24 PM
Also, this might have been mentioned before, but has not the occurrence of things like this increased linearly over the latest month or so, perfectly along with the moderators' randomness and gibbering? Yes, Llearch, I am looking at you...

Things like what, Stygian? People following the rules? New people joining the forum? Reasoned conversation about possibilities to do with the comic?

Help me out, here.

Castle Pokemetroid

What dose ADHD stand for anyways?

techmaster-glitch

.............................   *SILENCE*

ADD=
Attention.
Deficit.
Disorder.

ADHD=
Attention
Deficit.
Hyper.
Disorder.

Castle Pokemetroid

So it's like they can't pay attention and they're hyper at the same time or somethin?

Aridas

Definitions of hyper on the Web:

prefix, beyond, over, above; usually implying excess or exaggeration.
www.anbg.gov.au/glossary/webpubl/fungloss.htm

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Wikipedia: Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder[ADHD] is characterized by a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity, as well as forgetfulness, poor impulse control or impulsivity, and distractibility.
Full Article

That help?
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Kryptic

There's also six types of AD/HD! I'm Inattentive Type.  :3

I'm like, the total ultimate ADD freak. I've read nearly all the books. Really.

I may not always finish 'em... and I skim a lot... but I start 'em.

You got AD/HD questions? Kryptic got... somthin'. Probably with sugar.

Kryptic as a Fae:

*10 minutes*

I'm bored.
*Life Reset*

Doing what I do best (Switching Topics), Bill's rather late, huh?  :P

Aleolus

Quote from: Raist on July 03, 2007, 05:27:29 PM

I think you meant perpetual ADHD.

QuotePhilosophy + Webcomic = Fail  :<

Whenever you try to drag real physics into a discussion about a fantasy comic, God kills a catgirl.  Please,

Think of the catgirls.
(There are a lot of posters of that, I just can't find one atm.  Sorry.)

Naldru

Ralanost posted a picture of catgirls pleading for their lives  in the topic Re: 2007-06-20 [798] Scene change! as Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 05:14:50 AM.  The image he posted was on photobucket but doesn't seem to be there anymore.  However, I found another copy at http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/catgirls.gif

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Fuyudenki

Yes, that was the image I was referring to.  I thought it was as well-known as the "kill kittens" one.

Quote from: Aleolus on July 03, 2007, 11:28:59 PM

I think you meant perpetual ADHD.

No, perpetual ADHD simply means that it keeps going on.  Contagious ADHD is the type where you are SO distractable that it causes the people around you to exhibit symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, even if they don't have it.

For example, I am contagiously ADD.  Conversations have a hard time staying on-topic when I'm around.

kaskar

We had this discussion a month ago, when 785 was put up.  Here's the gist of it.

2: Fae don't die unless they want to.  They are effectively immortal.
3: after a while, Immortals eventually do pretty much everything that can be done, and all variants thereof.

Ultimately, after a few millenia, all Fae get bored, and decide to pass on their essence to another family, so they can have a beautiful, fuzzy bundle of contagious ADHD.

Now, the real question: Will the mods get around to mining this topic before, or after I hit the "Submit" button?

[edit]after, it seems.  Interesting.[/edit]

:mowmeep You made a point at no 3: , that they can do just about anything with all that time. How many variants can be made in the way they go and die ?  Dying is an Art form for the Fae ...  How many times can a Fae die ? ( Stabbings, Axeings, etc..., are another matter ... )
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Netrogo

Quote from: kaskar on July 04, 2007, 02:26:10 AM
:mowmeep You made a point at no 3: , that they can do just about anything with all that time. How many variants can be made in the way they go and die ?  Dying is an Art form for the Fae ...  How many times can a Fae die ? ( Stabbings, Axeings, etc..., are another matter ... )

I really doubt the fae do anything so gruesome Kaskar. Personally I've been going with the belief that they just sorta poof or something.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

techmaster-glitch