Brotherhood of the Machine (OOC) [PG/14] - Open - New players welcome!

Started by Ryudo Lee, June 07, 2007, 02:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techmaster-glitch

Holy. Freaking. Crap.
The past two days (prior to today) I've been able to log on fairly consistantly, checking constantly for new posts, but people wern't very active. Today just had to be the day I'd be at Cedar Point.... and everyone else is on. Great gods on high.
[/end pointless, inconsequential rant]

Ok, now that I'm here, I need to go about salvaging this situation. I have to go back and edit my last post so I'm not at the warehouse yet (Bill/Griffy and Boogy/Mister still arn't either so that shouldn't be a problem), then make a new post actually getting into the warehouse. Most of the stuff in Jackson and Exo's briefing Jexx already knows, since he's been fighting the Brotherhood by himself for two years now.

Anyways, one of this things Jexx will ask is how does the Rebellion know about him. Ryudo, you should answer with something about having Jexx under surveillence for some time. Jexx will be surprised, because he didn't think the Rebellion would want him (since he mistakenly believes that they would only want people who are actually morally devoted to their cause) Another reason it will surprise him is because, for all intents and purposes, Jexx has not had a real home ever since he woke up two years ago. He's always been on move, never staying in one spot for long, so he will be surpised (and impressed) at the Rebellion's abillity to track his movements.

....There was somethig else, but I can't remebr. We'll just go from here.

Tapewolf

A couple of points about Dorcan - although he looks pretty much like a flesh and blood person, there are a couple of subtle differences which members of the Rebellion are liable to notice sooner or later.  (Preferably not immediately)

Firstly, he doesn't breathe.  That is probably not something that will be noticed easily.
More difficult to conceal in the medium term is going to be the fact that he doesn't eat or drink.  He might be able to explain that away given that he was originally an incubus and didn't need to.

More immediately, he isn't going to smell right.  That depends on how sensitive the furs in your world are.  Having them be able to smell people at a distance like real animals tends to create plot-holes, so I've been assuming they are somewhat better than humans but not able to detect each other from a mile away like wolves.  Living in cities would tend to reduce their sensitivity as well, I'd guess.  Nonetheless, Dorcan is not going to smell like a living creature and that is liable to cause a few puzzled faces and suspicions.

Then there's Exo.  Sheridan hasn't elaborated on it's/his sensor capabilities, but depending on how well he's shielded, Dorcan is liable to emit EM fields from his actuators and electronics.  His power source may also emit radiation at slightly above background level.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Arcalane

Exo's sensors are rather rudimentary, actually, as a lot of recievers were removed or disconnected by Rebellion technicians to prevent the Brotherhood from trying to retake control of their little toy with any backdoors they might have put in that may have been missed by technicians (though there are no backdoors) to the point where all would have to be a spoken phrase. He's designed as a killing machine, something he's not exactly proud of. Visual sensors can pick up a large portion of the spectrum - the usuals when it comes to vision - like the infrared and ultraviolet ends.

I guess you could say he's a step forward in terms of artificial intelligence and hardware but two steps backwards in terms of communication and sensory capabilities.

He is only a prototype - an incomplete piece of work, and he often discusses potential upgrades with Rebellion Technicians.

Ryudo Lee

I think that may open up something between Exo and Baiye, actually.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

bill

You going to make the cab move on it's own, or should I do something?

Snuggles

Arcalane

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 15, 2007, 09:01:59 AM
I think that may open up something between Exo and Baiye, actually.

I had considered this as well. Exo's frame isn't exactly modular, so upgrading won't be easy, but it can be done should the components be available and the concept feasible.

That said, there's quite a bit of unused space inside the chassis that could be used up, kind of like a BattleMech. :B

techmaster-glitch

I suggest you evaluate your situation before making any potentially foolish demands."
What demands, Arcy? Jexx hasn't made any... yet...
EDIT: Oh, I get it. You're warning Jexx to not make foolish demands. Got it.

Your heat signature is unique,
That fits perfectly with something I forgot to add in my post. Ima go put it in now.

Arcalane

Right. Basically; "Think before you go and say anything stupid". ;)

As for the latter; ties in with the movement and places. Whilst most people are just, y'know, "warm", not many have morphing guns for arms and tend to sit on high out-of-the-way things.

techmaster-glitch

Hm. I took that for Jexx's markings glowing(which is what I added to my other post), hinting at his possible magical nature, but oh well.

Ryudo Lee

Snuggles, anyone can join in at any time.  Just post your character.

Snuggles

OK I will try and get it as soon as possible.

bill

Ryudo Lee

bill

Azlan

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 15, 2007, 04:14:55 PM
Jackson seemed smug during Jexx's entire rant.  And shook his head.  He looked over at Dorcan.
"I would expect you to figure out what is prudent and what is excessive in the handling of your missions.  We would like to avoid any unneccesary deaths, but the job must get done." He said. "As for all that other stuff, that's details that will be handled at a later time.  I'm sure you understand."

I'm not sure I understand Jackson's rudeness towards Morgan, he has acknowledged everyone, but this time he regards Dorcan while answering questions posed by Morgan... what did Morgan do?
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

techmaster-glitch

Azlan

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on June 15, 2007, 04:26:29 PM
I'm guessing Ryudo mixed you up :P

Likely, but just in case there is some faux pas I inadvertently performed, then I'd like to know, because it is likely an error the player made and one the character should have known better then to do.  The exception being his threat analysis.  It would be impossible for anyone to determine that his internal tactical unit has just profiled everyone in sight...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Az,

Just out of interest... does that involve connecting to any sort of network service that might be detectable by paranoid professionals watching?

Just wondering...

Quote from: BillBuckner on June 15, 2007, 04:15:46 PM
Jeez, this is one slow cab.  :U

Maybe he's just taking you the long way. via Hong Kong, where his brother owns this lovely little restaurant, you know, you'd love to visit it, honest? yes? yes? no? Oh, well. Maybe next time. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

bill

I tipped him too much, too, so he'll now attempt to follow me around the whole city.  :<

Ryudo Lee

Blarg, I got names mixed up.  My bad.  Fixing.

Azlan

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 15, 2007, 04:39:56 PM
Az,

Just out of interest... does that involve connecting to any sort of network service that might be detectable by paranoid professionals watching?

Just wondering...

Nope, completely internal, self contained and fully functional on-body computer.  It does possess a universal interface, but the system does not require any network access.  He can physically connect his internal computer to some type of network interface port, or utilizes some type of wireless unit to make himself a node on the network though. 

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 15, 2007, 04:47:56 PM
Blarg, I got names mixed up.  My bad.  Fixing.
I guess they are kind of similar.  Dorcan is actually named after a region of east Swindon where I used to work.

Quote from: Azlan on June 15, 2007, 04:31:15 PM
The exception being his threat analysis.  It would be impossible for anyone to determine that his internal tactical unit has just profiled everyone in sight...

Now I'm curious.  What kind of sensors does it have as input?

Quote from: Arcalane on June 15, 2007, 03:37:05 PM
As for the latter; ties in with the movement and places. Whilst most people are just, y'know, "warm", not many have morphing guns for arms and tend to sit on high out-of-the-way things.
Nggh.  Of all the things which are odd about Dorcan, I completely forgot about the heat signature.  That's going to be a bit peculiar, but that might be put down to augmentations.  An interesting excuse actually - I'll have to think about that.

One of the things I haven't really got a feel for is what shape Exo is.  I take it he's not actually humanoid in appearance, more a sort of mech thing?

Ryudo Lee

Just to let you guys know, I have a pretty full weekend ahead of me, so there will most likely be some downtime here, at least on my end, until monday.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on June 15, 2007, 05:19:04 PM
Just to let you guys know, I have a pretty full weekend ahead of me, so there will most likely be some downtime here, at least on my end, until monday.
Not a problem.  One possibility for your last action is for Jackson to walk out of the room so that the newcomers can discuss things among themselves for a while.

techmaster-glitch

In that case, I suggest we all say our 'I'm in' agreements in the IC thread, then wait until Ryudo returns so Jackson can tell us what exactly is the mission we will be assigned.

EDIT: Or what Tapewolf said. Also a good idea.

In fact, let's combine those two ideas. We all say 'I'm in', Jackson goes somewhere, maybe even fetching our mission data, and we talk to each other, tell each other about ourselves.

What does everyone think?

Arcalane

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 15, 2007, 04:59:15 PMOne of the things I haven't really got a feel for is what shape Exo is.  I take it he's not actually humanoid in appearance, more a sort of mech thing?

General humanoid format in terms of number of limbs and proportions, though he's more like a blocky suit of powered armour in appearance. Not too smooth, but not too rough either - the chassis is meant to take a beating and thus looks the part.

Ryudo Lee

Whatever works for you guys.  I've still gotta get Bill's character into the warehouse and wrap up the goings-on at Mister's mansion.  If Boogey doesn't mind, we can hold that off until monday, but if Bill is still around, I'd at least like to get him in the door.

bill

Uh, is Doran talking about me? Just wanted to make that clear before I post.

techmaster-glitch

And when we finally set out(Monday probably), we can go pick up Mister and whatever Snuggle's character is on the way to our assignment.

EDIT: Yeah, I think Dorcan is talking about Griffy. I guess that means you're already through the door. That's what I assumed, at any rate, and why I also said something about it.