Brotherhood of the Machine (OOC) [PG/14] - Open - New players welcome!

Started by Ryudo Lee, June 07, 2007, 02:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Azlan, do you think you could clarify whether Morgan has separated from Jexx and Dorcan or not as of your last post?  Otherwise I'm going to have to guess and we could get some consistency glitches  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Azlan

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 09, 2007, 12:22:16 PM
Azlan, do you think you could clarify whether Morgan has separated from Jexx and Dorcan or not as of your last post?  Otherwise I'm going to have to guess and we could get some consistency glitches  >:3

This also falls into the same line as the argument that is currently occurring.  Morgan takes point, that is all you know... he is ahead of you and following him leads you away from Zealots. 
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azlan on August 09, 2007, 12:27:48 PM
This also falls into the same line as the argument that is currently occurring.  Morgan takes point, that is all you know... he is ahead of you and following him leads you away from Zealots. 

Ah, so he is leading us on.  Thanks.  I thought he'd run off, 'others' meaning Dorcan and Jexx, not the theoretical Brotherhood patrol.

What does 'takes point' mean, by the way?  It's not a term I've come across.

Ryudo Lee

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

llearch n'n'daCorna

"take point" means he's the person at the front of the group of soldiers (or, usually soldiers) - ie, he's the guy at the front, sneaking ahead of everyone else, and watching out for bad guys.

He'll usually pass signals back to the others, like "stop, there's bad guys" or "move up, it's all clear" or "wait there for 5, then move -fast- when I signal" or the like. The more silent you have to be, the more complex the signals.

He's also the most likely one to get -found- by the bad guys, and hence it's a risky place to be. If you're lucky, he gets killed and the rest of the platoon/company/mob gets to sneak off in the ruckus.

You put the paranoid types out there, they last longer. :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 09, 2007, 01:39:44 PM
"take point" means he's the person at the front of the group of soldiers (or, usually soldiers) - ie, he's the guy at the front, sneaking ahead of everyone else, and watching out for bad guys.

Ah.  That's more-or-less what I was expecting him to do, but not knowing that slang, I had no  indication that this is what he was doing.  Remove those two words and you'll understand why I was so insistent on getting clarification >:3   

**EDIT**

Now imagine what it would be like for someone whose native tongue was not English...

Azlan

I forget sometimes that my vast knowledge out-distances at least 75% of the entire forum combined... I shall try to keep it less collolquial as well.  There is something to be said for research though... Google is wonderful.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azlan on August 09, 2007, 02:52:39 PM
I forget sometimes that my vast knowledge out-distances at least 75% of the entire forum combined...
Remember you're writing for an international audience and local idioms are not guaranteed to work.  I could probably put together a post that means one thing to me, Llearch and Arcalane and something quite different - or nothing at all - to people from the US.
If I do post something that doesn't make sense, flag it up and I'll fix it.  Likewise, if a post here means nothing to me, I'll query it.

QuoteThere is something to be said for research though... Google is wonderful.
I usually get bad results from search engines when the target - as in this case - is made of common words used in an abnormal/incorrect manner.  "What all" was another good one - syntactically it's complete garbage.  Google certainly didn't help then.

lucas marcone

by the power of grey skull and for the sake of peace this issue is over and delt with.

Azlan

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 09, 2007, 03:05:34 PM
Quote from: Azlan on August 09, 2007, 02:52:39 PM
I forget sometimes that my vast knowledge out-distances at least 75% of the entire forum combined...
Remember you're writing for an international audience and local idioms are not guaranteed to work.  I could probably put together a post that means one thing to me, Llearch and Arcalane and something quite different - or nothing at all - to people from the US.
If I do post something that doesn't make sense, flag it up and I'll fix it.  Likewise, if a post here means nothing to me, I'll query it.

QuoteThere is something to be said for research though... Google is wonderful.
I usually get bad results from search engines when the target - as in this case - is made of common words used in an abnormal/incorrect manner.  "What all" was another good one - syntactically it's complete garbage.  Google certainly didn't help then.

The young one is trying to school the master.  Once I was but the learner, but now I am the master.  ¬.¬  

I can call upon contacts in the three English-based militaries (Canada, England and Australia) and the German militaries and worked with them so I could keep my military speak "international".  Do not chastise me for "not writing to an international audience".  My character does not think international, he thinks the way he does... I cannot translate that for international or its going to get really bland and vanilla (i.e. plain, uninteresting and common).  That is not my aim, if you do not understand... then ask.

If you need clarification, ask specifically what needs clarification... try not to chastise me for not doing exactly what I have spent weeks doing.  I do not mean to bang on about it or throw a benny about being chastised and look like a complete mentalist, but I am right.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 09, 2007, 03:05:34 PM
I could probably put together a post that means one thing to me, Llearch and Arcalane and something quite different - or nothing at all - to people from the US.

Heh. I, sadly, have a broad enough education - not only from popular media, which is largely US and UK, but also from growing up in a small country, next to a bigger one, with parents from overseas that desired to keep their children aware of their other heritages - that I would probably grasp both -your- meaning, and, possibly, the meaning that the US-ians would grok.

This is not always a good thing. Giggling inanely at something that has pejorative connotations in the US isn't (always) accepted behaviour in a room full of UKers. :-/

lucas marcone

can we move on please? i kinda want to get to the action IC.

Ryudo Lee

Okay, Az is right.  We do not need to "write internationally" here.  In fact, doing the opposite is encouraged as it gives the characters more depth.  If you have a question about something a character said, just ask, or have your character do a WTF take.

Personally, I've never gone beyond west Texas or gone anywhere outside of the deep south (LA, MS, AL, FL, GA) in the US, so my vocabulary can be limited at times.  Remember, there is no shame in asking "WTF did you say?".

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azlan on August 09, 2007, 03:46:16 PM
The young one is trying to school the master.  Once I was but the learner, but now I am the master.  ¬.¬
You do realise that I'm a shade older than you, right? :P

QuoteIf you need clarification, ask specifically what needs clarification... try not to chastise me for not doing exactly what I have spent weeks doing.  I do not mean to bang on about it or throw a benny about being chastised and look like a complete mentalist, but I am right.
Fine.  In any case, I understand your RP post now, so this discussion has pretty much served its purpose.  Any problems I have deciding how to respond in the RP are now purely mine...

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 09, 2007, 03:57:22 PM
Okay, Az is right.  We do not need to "write internationally" here.  In fact, doing the opposite is encouraged as it gives the characters more depth.  If you have a question about something a character said, just ask, or have your character do a WTF take.
Oh, I would have done if it was something he said, but it was part of the description in his post.  Talking to the narrator is probably metagaming  :rolleyes

**EDIT**
And sorry for dragging this out, but my general reaction against being made to look stupid is one of my main character flaws...

Azlan

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 09, 2007, 04:01:09 PM
Quote from: Azlan on August 09, 2007, 03:46:16 PM
You do realise that I'm a shade older than you, right? :P

I think you have mistaken me for someone else, if your profile is correct then I am a tad bit older then you... but my profile's age shows as 1932, which is just a tiny bit more then 30...  >:3

In reality I'm only about 32, so you might be right...

Quote from: lucas marcone on August 09, 2007, 03:54:33 PM
can we move on please? i kinda want to get to the action IC.

I'd love to, but I was hoping for Ryudo to post something... unless he doesn't mind me running us to the hospital, without any input... you jumping in and likely stopping everyone in a single post...

I was hoping the other members of this RP might want to play... at some point... I guess not?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azlan on August 09, 2007, 04:10:19 PM
I think you have mistaken me for someone else, if your profile is correct then I am a tad bit older then you...
You're right, I think it was Charles.  Still, what's a year and a bit between friends?  And we're definitely off-topic now even if we weren't before...

QuoteI'd love to, but I was hoping for Ryudo to post something... unless he doesn't mind me running us to the hospital, without any input... you jumping in and likely stopping everyone in a single post...

I was hoping the other members of this RP might want to play... at some point... I guess not?

Well, I think Dorcan's waiting for Morgan to signal the all-clear.

lucas marcone

and Josh isn't about to wade in and  kill everyone in the room. depending on the situation it may just ba a stand off till help can get there. but it will be a distraction....

lucas marcone

damnit honeydew i just got out of a big arguement about meta gameing then you throw a crazed mad man at me and Josh has no idea anything may be out of the ordinary! are you guys plotting against me or what?

Azlan

I think I have a slight problem with spontaneously regrowing the zealot's body parts...

I don't get to knock out citywide power grids, hurl lightning with electrokinesis; I can't use full on deflect-all telekinetic shields, hurl telekinetic bolts, fly, etc. with telekinesis; I cannot manifest psi-swords, hurl mind bolts, transform into a psychic energy being... or any really cool stuff.  Am I missing a power scaling that occurred recently?  Aren't we a little early to be making amazing leaps and bounds?

Tapewolf

I've got to second that.  I don't know what kind of healing ability Sally should have, but taking down a Zealot with a single touch seems overkill to me.

Prof B Hunnydew

Okay I agree physics would n't allow it, I am changing the attrack to simple overload of neurons ...feedback and shutdown of the bio--interfaces his cyber linkages  I am leave it to the GM to figure it out how long he is out for long. But Sally is still down.

PBH

Ryudo Lee

techmaster-glitch

Ryudo, what is the structure of a standard Brotherhood 'squad'? Some zealots and an Enforcer? Just zealots? And how many?

Ryudo Lee

Three zealots to a squad.  If there's an enforcer, I'll specify.

techmaster-glitch

What the- only three?!? I was expecting at least seven,maybe ten per squad :mowdizzy But, no complaints. All's good here.

Ryudo Lee

Well this is only the first part of the game.

llearch n'n'daCorna

IOW, he's being nice to you.

Take advantage of it, but don't plan on it. ;-]

Arcalane

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 10, 2007, 03:16:58 PM
What the- only three?!? I was expecting at least seven,maybe ten per squad :mowdizzy But, no complaints. All's good here.

Hey it's your funeral if an entire battalion show up because you started whining. :B

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Arcalane on August 11, 2007, 11:32:04 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 10, 2007, 03:16:58 PM

Hey it's your funeral if an entire battalion show up because you started whining. :B
That's why I said 'no complaints', dammit :rolleyes

Tapewolf

Just checking - should Dorcan know that Morgan has revoked Sally's key?  He saw him do it, but he might not have known what he was doing.
Morgan hasn't explicitly stated what he did, which may possibly have been an oversight, since the others are likely to assume that the comms unit has to be retrieved no matter what the cost to avoid blowing the operation.