ABC could not be any more late to the party on this one...

Started by Aridas, May 25, 2007, 03:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xHaZxMaTx

Quote...emo kids celebrate sadness and pain.

They're having an emo party, and happy people aren't invited.

superluser

``For more information on Emo culture, click here.''

The link goes to Wikipedia.  :mwaha

The rest of the article is pretty light on information, too.  Their ``study of emo culture on the internet'' probably consisted of reading that article and typing `emo' into google.

(Reminds me of a Good Morning America investigation of hate sites on the internet.  On live TV, they typed `hate' into Altavista (it was a long time ago), and said, ``look at all those hate sites!'')

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

RJ

Arg  :headdesk Australia has just been through an "oh noes my kids are in danger from emos" phase. During one news program, they went to interview "emos" on the streets, none of which were actually emo, but just wanted their face on tv. When they were asked what an emo was, they weren't serious at all about it and over-exaggerated (one guy said 'Oh yeah, I cut myself aaaallllll the time', though his arms were clean), but the interviewer thought they were being serious.

Zedd

Brunhidden

also on ABC 'pokelmans' are sweeping the nation with a trading card game of some sort and a new portable video game from sony that allows you to play playstation titles. But first, an investigative report on whether or not buggs bunny causes children to behave violently.

in their deffence though, i would be surprised if they knew how to pronounce 'internet' correctly and even if these reporters DID go online much its probably nowheres near the EMO freaks...they probably hang out mostly at thier own news website and Ebay.

QuoteWhat I give form to in daylight is only one per cent of what I have seen in darkness.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

bill

Kasarn

Alondro

Feh, emo.  You know the whole thing is just a distraction from the REAL danger to society... furries!

:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

ITOS

My friend's class got to skip an English lesson and got a lesson in drawing instead because their teacher had heard that this thing called "anime" is going to invade the western world soon. :rolleyes
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Kasarn

Quote from: ITOS on May 25, 2007, 10:13:43 AM
My friend's class got to skip an English lesson and got a lesson in drawing instead because their teacher had heard that this thing called "anime" is going to invade the western world soon. :rolleyes

An invasion? Maybe it's time to remind those uppity Japanese of what happened last time! Fire the missiles!

bill

What is this "BBS" thing that everyone seems to be into these days?

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Alondro on May 25, 2007, 09:09:26 AM
Feh, emo.  You know the whole thing is just a distraction from the REAL danger to society... furries!

If I thought it'd be worth it, I'd SO make a 'Prepare for the Furry Invasion!' shirt...

Alondro

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on May 25, 2007, 11:24:14 AM

If I thought it'd be worth it, I'd SO make a 'Prepare for the Furry Invasion!' shirt...

You'd have to use a Winger image to make it properly horrifying.   >:3

For those who don't know what that means, you don't want to.   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

superluser

ABC?  Reporter behind the times about something on the internet?

This thread needs more Ric Romero.

Zedd

Quote from: Alondro on May 25, 2007, 12:00:32 PM
Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on May 25, 2007, 11:24:14 AM

You'd have to use a Winger image to make it properly horrifying.   >:3

For those who don't know what that means, you don't want to.   >:3
:veryevil

Ryudo Lee

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Metal Juggernaut

jeez...what a bunch of emo's...wait,thats the topic isnt it?

bill

Ryudo Lee

I dunno Bill, what happens when 5 emos enter a room?

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Zedd

llearch n'n'daCorna

<objoke>
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.
</objoke>
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Knight

I think it says something about our disdain of emotions when anyone who shows them is dubbed and then self-embraced as "emo".

superluser

Quote from: Evil Richter on May 25, 2007, 01:29:21 PMI think it says something about our disdain of emotions when anyone who shows them is dubbed and then self-embraced as "emo".

It would indeed be saying something, except that `emo' isn't what you call people who show emotions.  Emo refers to a group of people who think that they have a monopoly on emotions and authenticity.  Also, everything that I've seen from emos seems to indicate that they take pride in what we would likely call mental illness.  There's nothing wrong with having a mental illness/disorder, but get yourself help; it's not healthy.

I'll note that I don't think I've ever met anyone who's actually emo.  When I was in school, there were no emos.  If you look back through US history, we've had a variety of names for essentially the same phenomenon.  In the 80's-90's, we had the goth subculture, in the 70's-80's, we had punk, in the 60's-70's, we had the hippie subculture, and in the 50's-60's, we had the beats.

These are all groups that promote the concepts of iconoclasm and emotional access.  Hippies promoted love and happiness, Punks promoted rage, and emos seem to be promoting...I dunno, learned helplessness?

Jigsaw Forte

bill

Alondro

bill

Hell, at least the punks, hippies, and the beats had kickass music.

Emo music?  :<

GabrielsThoughts

so that's why I was laughing at Pirates of he Caribbean, what a relief.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

superluser

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on May 25, 2007, 09:47:54 PMSo, Super, what do Goths offer?

A fair question.  I really can't tell the difference between goth and emo, since they both focus on painful/depressive emotions.  Goth seems to have grown directly out of punk, so a lot of those painful emotions are pointed outward, like rage or anger.

Beats and Punks seemed to want to be different and apart from society, while Hippies wanted society to change to be like them.

Perhaps Goths hold out the hope that you can be different, but remain part of mainstream society?

Perhaps emo is shining light on the fact that emotional issues are unrelated to income or standard of living?

I don't know.  Personally, I don't see much to either emo or goth except a marketing demographic and a lot of poseurs at the Hot Topic.

P.S.  For research, I just listened to my first emo song, Same Shade As Concrete by Circle Takes The Square.  I can see why emo music is strongly linked to suicidal tendencies.  Just listening to that makes me want to die.