ABC could not be any more late to the party on this one...

Started by Aridas, May 25, 2007, 03:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

The bad poetry BURNS us my precious...

QuoteThere are two million interesting people in New York and only seventy-eight in Los Angles.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Reese Tora

Quote from: superluser on May 26, 2007, 12:45:03 AM
Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on May 25, 2007, 09:47:54 PMSo, Super, what do Goths offer?

A fair question.  I really can't tell the difference between goth and emo, since they both focus on painful/depressive emotions.  Goth seems to have grown directly out of punk, so a lot of those painful emotions are pointed outward, like rage or anger.

Beats and Punks seemed to want to be different and apart from society, while Hippies wanted society to change to be like them.

Perhaps Goths hold out the hope that you can be different, but remain part of mainstream society?

Perhaps emo is shining light on the fact that emotional issues are unrelated to income or standard of living?

I don't know.  Personally, I don't see much to either emo or goth except a marketing demographic and a lot of poseurs at the Hot Topic.

P.S.  For research, I just listened to my first emo song, Same Shade As Concrete by Circle Takes The Square.  I can see why emo music is strongly linked to suicidal tendencies.  Just listening to that makes me want to die.

I thought what goths do is sack Roman cities. :3

I was under the impression that goths came from punks in a way where they stole half the looks, made up half thier own, and basically just wanted to freak the mundanes.

I am not a culture buff.
(Nor fassion; T-shirts and jeans will never go out of style.)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

LionHeart

Quote from: Reese ToraI was under the impression that goths came from punks in a way where they stole half the looks, made up half thier own, and basically just wanted to freak the mundanes.

I always thought the goth look came from a cross between punk, and vampire movies...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity