A subject of Setting

Started by thegayhare, May 24, 2007, 02:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Hi Hi all

In the intrest of me traditonaly starting odd little topics,  I figured I'd come here for a little advice story wise. (yes I'm in a weird mood,  I blame it anti-depresents and bad tuna)

Well I'm currently working on something kinda big and once I finish I tohught I'd try something alittle differnt.  So I figure I'll start sometihng I've been thinking of doing for a while.

The next story I think will be set in a furry version of the fallout game world.  Basicly this is an excuse for me to engage in my bizzare love for Deathclaws.  I'll use my own chars and my own locations,  but I'll include cerain fallout things like deathclaws, rad scorps, Molerats, and maybe ghouls and the like along with my own post appocoliptic thoughts.

The basic story idea I had would follow a pair of mercs, who mostly work for The Mount (a factory/fortress built into the side of what used to be mount rushmore).  The Pair are a scarred rabbit,  and his partner  fairly well spoken Deathclaw.  They generaly work security for the mount on its trading caravans. The mount makes ammo, (and they have started producing some guns), tools and other usefull items in exchange for scrap, and suplies.

I've got a whole back story and adventure based on revenge and the like planned out

Now the question I wanted to put to you folks is this,  should I use the fallout tech level?  I mean the weapons in some parts were realy advanced, stealthboys, plasma cannons and gattling lazers.  I don't know having an energy pistol on hand might be cool but I'm not sure it realy fits the feel of the wastelands you know.

Ouai

I'm sure you could pull it off if you made it look rusty and dusty, maybe a little worn out.

superluser

Quote from: thegayhare on May 24, 2007, 02:09:59 AMNow the question I wanted to put to you folks is this,  should I use the fallout tech level?  I mean the weapons in some parts were realy advanced, stealthboys, plasma cannons and gattling lazers.

Fallout included a lot of anachronistic technology, mainly because it was more fun that way.  (If I were writing it, I'd go out to clunkpunk.  Basically, everything looks like it came off the shelf from Radio Shack.)

I think you have a lot of leeway to make the style whatever feels right for the story.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Steampunk, as per Girl Genius?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

post-apoc, interesting premise, that.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

thegayhare

Well
I think I'll eliminate the advanced tech,  so no energy weapons, power armor, and the like...  Unless the story catches fire and I need a brother hood of steel or conclave sort of enemy.

Two more questions

Since this is a furry version of the world does anyone think certain species would be more common amounge the supermutants and ghouls

for those that don't know the world Supermutants are humans (furries in this case) that were exposed to a powerfull mutation formula the miltary developed to make super solders.  During the nuclear war with canada stockpiles of the chemical were damaged and leaks caused random supermutants.  Later they were organised into a vast army which forcably recuted new members using vats of the mutanagen.  Most SM's are brutish, dumb  and violent.  but there is a 1 in 6 chance (I think) that you'll retain your intelegance and some of your personality

Ghouls on the other hand were mutated humans (furries) that changed due to long exposure to hard radiation.  Ghouls don't realy age, and they could live forever if they were lucky.  how ever the adverse effect of the radiation means they are slowly wasting away, skin and muscle rotting leaving them to look like green horror movie zombies.  They are physicaly weak, and ugly but mostly the same person they were before

So do you see any particular spiecies being more likely to become one or the other?

superluser

Quote from: thegayhare on May 25, 2007, 01:30:51 AMSince this is a furry version of the world does anyone think certain species would be more common amounge the supermutants and ghouls

I'd go with whatever you think would be creepier.  The standard response is cockroaches, but that's going a bit far, even for furries.

You could do hours and hours of painstaking research into what holds up the best against radiation...or just go for creepy animals.  I don't know what you find creepy, so I'll leave that up to you.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

thegayhare

Creepy ehh..  now that I need to think about

My first instinct was to go with preditors for the supermutants
Lions, tigers, bears, wolves

and make scavanger animals be the ghouls
rats, raccoons, coyotes

but that could be considered stereotyping

*chuckles*

llearch n'n'daCorna

You could reverse the stereotypes, to play with peoples heads.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

Ohh ohh

I'm actualy starting now.. I'm not finished my big project but I wanna atleast make a start on this one...

before I forget and all

So I have anouther question

now I'm keeping alot of the signature animals of the fallout world radscorps, molerats, geckos, but do you think I should include there series most used animal?  there signature Brahmin? the 2 headed cattle.  In fallout they were used for everything from food, to pack animals.

Also I need some town names if anyones interested,  I've only got two names I plan on using for sure and thats Queen's Mount (the city built into mount rushmore) and Scrapyard a feeder town of the mount.  basicly a massive junkyard of a town.  I still need names for small farming towns, trading posts, trapper villiages, logging towns, slaver dens, raider outposts and the like.