[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Beeks on May 26, 2012, 06:59:58 PM
Just ran across this, and support the stuffing out of it. Let me know if you need anything. I'm not terribly talented, but i could probably record a few lines, or help using Audacity if you needed something processed. Probably don't need me, but still. :)

Heh, thanks.  I got kind of stuck waiting for feedback on that test recording.  ( http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,2757.msg359252.html#msg359252 )
Lack of response to it and the question of whether DP should still be shifted or not, it didn't do my motivation much good.

QuoteAs far as production... i'm not sure how you're running it, but it seems entirely possible to simply assemble things out of order, then add everything back together into a master list later on. If you're missing a main character, surely there are scenes left without him.

Usually, yes.  However, this particular arc is almost entirely Dan-based, which kind of stalled it.  I didn't really want to work on another, separate production until I'd got this one out of the way.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

justacritic

Ah the sweet sweet scent of delay, oh are you still waiting for Dan's voice actor to complete the second part Dark Pegasus' Return?

Tapewolf

Quote from: justacritic on August 01, 2012, 12:43:50 AM
Ah the sweet sweet scent of delay, oh are you still waiting for Dan's voice actor to complete the second part Dark Pegasus' Return?

No, it's more like an apparent lack of interest.

However, in related news, I am kind of looking for someone to voice Cale, both for this and for a side project.

Kenku

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kenku on August 24, 2012, 10:34:12 AM
Hmm...what would I need to do to apply for it?

Well, the usual approach is to record a couple of demo lines, say panel 3 in page 1303, and then post the clip here.
A public Dropbox folder or something would work, otherwise you have a bunch of file upload sites like rapidshare which can host it if you don't have a site of your own.

Eli_In_Chains

Oooh someone's already doing a radio-type adaptation. ^^ Where would I go to start from the beginning? I clicked the link in the beginning of the thread for the "main page" of the project, but it seems it's no longer alive... that or it doesn't like my browser. :x I'd offer to try and audition for someone, but the only mic I have is pretty sucky and only really suitable for voice-chatting, I'm afraid. But, I want to support somehow, so if there's, like, a donation box or something to help you guys out... <3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on September 06, 2012, 11:33:26 AM
Oooh someone's already doing a radio-type adaptation. ^^ Where would I go to start from the beginning? I clicked the link in the beginning of the thread for the "main page" of the project, but it seems it's no longer alive... that or it doesn't like my browser. :x I'd offer to try and audition for someone, but the only mic I have is pretty sucky and only really suitable for voice-chatting, I'm afraid. But, I want to support somehow, so if there's, like, a donation box or something to help you guys out... <3

Bummer.  It looks like someone broke in.  I have a local copy at home, I'll have to repair the site from that.

Honestly, the biggest problems have been too many projects on my part, and a lack of interest from anyone else.  I think a large part of it was losing the voice actor for Dan halfway through an arc - he had real life issues for years and that really broke the back of it, unfortunately.

I keep meaning to get back into the swing of things, but it never seems to happen and FWIW I never really wanted to be the one carrying the can in the first place ;-)

If anyone else does want to take over and kick the project back into gear, I can (probably!) make available all my archives of material including cast recordings, test mixes, scores and so forth, but there is quite a lot of data involved.  OTOH if people actually start taking an interest in it again and giving me feedback then that would probably be enough to help spur my own interest in it.
I would like to get the RODP arc finished and I would certainly be willing to contribute to it if someone with a clearer vision and more time to commit is able to take charge.

FWIW I do think I have enough of Dan's voicing to finish the next segment of the arc, again it's just a matter of sitting down and assembling it, I think.  But the fact that no-one will even give opinions on whether DP should have the same voice anymore, well, it's not exactly providing much in the way of motivation.

Anyway, finished episodes, in chronological order:

Warrior for Hire (2007)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwl7gZV8I5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZPfiO_aAM0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rCtzYYGHdM

Recipe for Disasters (2008)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRncqdvjBiQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC1YfVztEV4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ78pJzY-xg

Dan vs Regina test (2009):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq5LIb9TUws

Return of Dark Pegasus - pt1 (audio 2009, video 2012):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q_6iwJTffE

...RODP is full-length, the previous ones were split into 10 minute chunks.

Eli_In_Chains

Many thanks for the episodes. ^^ And if feedback on that sort of thing is what you're looking for, I can offer my (albeit limited) opinion on things. :3 I did listen to the sample you put up a page or two ago and I rather like Dark Pegasus's voice. I'm really interested in this, it's an awesome project and it's a shame to see it fold. But, I do know what you mean about a lack of motivation, too. :c I suppose all I can really do, being untalented and unexperienced in the arts of voice-acting and audio editing, would be to go through the story so far (a few hours of listening should take care of that... ^^;) and then giving the project the feedback and attention it deserves. :3 And who knows, maybe people will start looking at it and talking about it more if that happens.

If there's anything you want me to do besides listening to everything and talking to you about things, just let me know. ^^; I just can't think of anything else that I'm in a position to do, but that doesn't mean there isn't stuff.

EDIT: Oh, and you also mentioned other projects, which sounds interesting. :3 What would those be and where can I see those too? ^^

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on September 06, 2012, 12:24:38 PM
Many thanks for the episodes. ^^ And if feedback on that sort of thing is what you're looking for, I can offer my (albeit limited) opinion on things. :3 I did listen to the sample you put up a page or two ago and I rather like Dark Pegasus's voice.

Yeah, thing is, in the original Dan vs Pegasus arc I used a pitch-shifter on his voice to make it sound more evil.  I can still do that, I just wanted some idea of whether I should or whether I should just voice him dry without any additional processing.

QuoteI'm really interested in this, it's an awesome project and it's a shame to see it fold. But, I do know what you mean about a lack of motivation, too. :c I suppose all I can really do, being untalented and unexperienced in the arts of voice-acting and audio editing, would be to go through the story so far (a few hours of listening should take care of that... ^^;) and then giving the project the feedback and attention it deserves. :3 And who knows, maybe people will start looking at it and talking about it more if that happens.

Thanks.  I do have a demo of Cale's voice someone sent me, but they emailed it instead of putting a link up here so I keep forgotting to check it :rolleyes

QuoteIf there's anything you want me to do besides listening to everything and talking to you about things, just let me know. ^^; I just can't think of anything else that I'm in a position to do, but that doesn't mean there isn't stuff.

EDIT: Oh, and you also mentioned other projects, which sounds interesting. :3 What would those be and where can I see those too? ^^

Okay, well not all of them are DMFA-based, but there is a lot of crossover too.  I write and colour the 'Project Future' comic - there's a sub-board for it on the forum which has a link, 'Jayhawk HQ' it's called.  That's my main project these days.

I also write music, the bulk of which can be found at http://dougtheeagle.com and I also post some of it on FA and in the Tower of Art - that's how I ended up in charge of the radio project, really :3
About half the songs are DMFA-related in some way, though not always directly.  I do think the 'Daniel Tifiona' album was a bit of a mistake these days.

I also do this thing where I kind of blog/write walkthroughs about various games and I need to sit down and finish writing the Skyrim one.  There should be a link in my signature.

EDIT: Oh, and a tile-based RPG which went on hiatus for a while.  Sofox is helping to try and get it finished, but there's a long way to go.

justacritic

The pitch shift does give DP the approximate dark lord vibe, so by all means pitch shift away. Also since it seems like Dan's VA will be unable to participate for the foreseeable future should interested parties send in auditions? In any case I enjoy this particular project's work so thank you all for all the effort.

Tapewolf

Quote from: justacritic on September 06, 2012, 12:43:32 PM
The pitch shift does give DP the approximate dark lord vibe, so by all means pitch shift away. Also since it seems like Dan's VA will be unable to participate for the foreseeable future should interested parties send in auditions? In any case I enjoy this particular project's work so thank you all for all the effort.

I'd have to check but I believe James sent at least enough to continue the next segment of RODP.  Traditionally I'd assemble the final versions of these things in October, so if I get my head in gear I could probably still pull it off.

Kenku, not quite sure that sounds like Cale, but you'd make a good Mack if you're up for it.  Not quite as prestigious a role, I know :3

Eli_In_Chains

I thought about it for a while and I guess you'd be the one to decide whether my mic's quality is good enough, since I think I'd be interested in doing a voice for this if you have a place for me. That in mind I did a few demo lines, and here's the file. https://rapidshare.com/files/980252472/Audition.wma If not Cale, then just stick me anywhere you think my voice would work, assuming the audio quality isn't bad.

Jairus

Oh man, is this thing still alive, in some fashion?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on September 07, 2012, 11:20:19 AM
Oh man, is this thing still alive, in some fashion?

It looks like it might be coming back to life.  I'm certainly going to take stock of things and start to assemble more test mixes over the weekend.

justacritic

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 06, 2012, 08:00:19 PM
Quote from: justacritic on September 06, 2012, 12:43:32 PM

I'd have to check but I believe James sent at least enough to continue the next segment of RODP.  Traditionally I'd assemble the final versions of these things in October, so if I get my head in gear I could probably still pull it off.

Kenku, not quite sure that sounds like Cale, but you'd make a good Mack if you're up for it.  Not quite as prestigious a role, I know :3
Hey I'll be happy with just getting a part and if you need a female voice, I believe my sister was interested as well.

Kenku

James StarRunner

For those interested, the reason I can't record right now is because there is no longer any working computer in the home in which to plug my microphone in. I'm still definately interested in the project. Hopefully in the next few weeks, I'll have a new computer assembled. The sad part is, that's yet another year of AC funds going to yet more unexpected expenses.

Tapewolf

I have been full of fail on getting the next episode assembled.

But just for fun, I did make this:
http://tapewolf.wildernessguardians.com/dmfarp/dp_1538.mp3

Tapewolf

What I could really do with, if anyone has such a thing, is some rusty, squeaky sound effects for the Death Knights.

joshofspam

Always like these radio plays of Amber's comic.

It's interesting to hear what Tape's is able to come up with to give background noise. Example: is when Dan used his tentacle wings to carve the stone of the pillar that Regina was hiding behind.

Still think Bigg's theme song is the best theme song ever! :U
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on December 06, 2012, 09:24:33 PM
It's interesting to hear what Tape's is able to come up with to give background noise. Example: is when Dan used his tentacle wings to carve the stone of the pillar that Regina was hiding behind.

The Death Knights have always been a problem, though.  IMHO they should sound kind of rusty, but that is a sound I have never been able to produce on demand and thus record.  I simply don't have anything that neglected as to make the sounds I need.

EDIT:
I may have a solution...

Tapewolf

Okay, I've got the death-knights sorted, but now want to flip tables because on page 929, in the black panel, only Dan recorded his lines and Aliyka and Shanna did not.  Clearly they assumed the tooth-fairy was speaking.

EDIT: Also missing Fi on page 934.  Sent the original VA a message on DeviantArt, hopefully they are still able and willing, otherwise there will be a bit of a problem.

It-Or-Whatever-I-Am

Hello! I just wanted to come in and say the radio project is awesome (the literal definition) and I was just wondering if there was anyway I could also help? I'm really interested in this project and how it's going.
I am known as it, because I have no designation outside that and I would rather it stay like that.

Otherwise Have a good day Sir/Ma'am.

Tapewolf

Quote from: It-Or-Whatever-I-Am on January 03, 2013, 02:15:39 AM
Hello! I just wanted to come in and say the radio project is awesome (the literal definition) and I was just wondering if there was anyway I could also help? I'm really interested in this project and how it's going.

Thanks.  I could do with someone to voice Cale around 1301-1303, otherwise the bulk of the recordings are in place
for at least the next episode of Return of Dark Pegasus.  I just need to get down and finish it, and it's been competing for time with other projects (and Christmas).

It-Or-Whatever-I-Am

I would help if I could, but my voice would have to go down an octave before I could pull off any adult character.
I am known as it, because I have no designation outside that and I would rather it stay like that.

Otherwise Have a good day Sir/Ma'am.

James StarRunner

Quote from: It-Or-Whatever-I-Am on January 05, 2013, 02:05:43 AM
I would help if I could, but my voice would have to go down an octave before I could pull off any adult character.
I actually DID try that. Luckily it didn't last long. I hope those files where I pitch shifted my voice has long since digitally burned to a crisp. I did not think my natural voice fit Daniel at first. I'm glad I'm much more comfortable with my voice now though! It still may be worth a shot! Not all the adults are going to have the deep rich tones of James Earl Jones.

Also, happy happy joy joy! I have a computer again AND have recorded some new lines!

Tapewolf

For what it's worth, I'm trying to get back into the fold with this again.  I've assembled the next block up to about page 947, but I'm missing a fairly large chunk of Kria.  I'm hoping Lena is still interested, otherwise I might need a replacement.

Shax

Would be nice to hear more of this. It's very well put together.

Tezkat

Ooh, is this project actually getting resurrected? It's been kinda dead for so long that I don't really know what we're working on anymore... :animesweat
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on March 13, 2013, 04:39:28 PM

Ooh, is this project actually getting resurrected? It's been kinda dead for so long that I don't really know what we're working on anymore... :animesweat

Return of Dark Pegasus.  I can't leave it hanging at just the first part.

I've had a lot of other projects competing for time, but hopefully I'll have a clear run at this, notwithstanding that there are still some lines missing.