Mai-Ti... heart ring?

Started by Saist, May 13, 2007, 05:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saist

was anybody else completely LOST on Amber's rant this go around? Who is Mai-Ti and what's the heart ring?

King Of Hearts

Hey, Ma-Ti was a borderline Mind controller... in that old ep where Wheeler was thrown into the future, he saw Ma-Ti using his powers to make rich folks give alms to the poor. They just keep him as the weak one.

Kwame can bury you in a landslide, Wheeler can burn you to a crisp, Linka can blow you away, Gi can drown you... but Ma-Ti? Ma-Ti can get you raped to death by a White Rhinoceros.

Zina

Zedd

Its sad me and my brother made up jokes what would happen years later....Like Wheeler...He became a pyromaniac and sued for many charges of arson....Gaia quieted being idol of planet earth and got haircut and changed her name to...OPRAH!

Goatmon

Is it sad that I know EXACTLY what episode of Captain Planet that she's referencing here?   (with the super radiation + deforestation bit, lol)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Does anyone consider the side effects? They have Captain Planet flying through the air above the water, leaving a lovely big trail where the water flies up on either side of his path.

Except that, well, the wash from that is going to erode the sides of the river, have a deleterious effect on the local piscine population, and generally do nasty things to everything in sight.

... Does no-one think of the fishy children?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Swift-Skink

rabid_fox

Mai-Ti always worried me. I know he's become a joke in recent years, but as a child, I had a lovely illustrated book of science-type things. From putting two and two together, I soon grew a worried respect for Mai-Ti's power, because I was convinced that he had the ability to turn your circulatory system inside out without even so much as damaging your skin. That terrified me. I had nightmares about it.

I stopped eating Coco Pops when they ran a "Planeteer's Ring" free gift thing in case my sister got Heart and artery-pwned me.

Oh dear.

llearch n'n'daCorna

rabid_fox

I don't know, I refused to eat breakfast at the same time as her and then avoided her throughout the day.

Oh dear.

Swift-Skink

So you worried about your internal organ's being inside out... But not about having your face melted? (Sorry, just couldn't resist :P.)

I was always most afraid of Wind. I thought that Linka's power could in fact transport you to another world, possibly inhabited by munchkins and wicked witches. I wonder where I got that idea...

RJ

Daaang, where are my Captain Planet cosplay photos when I need them?

Oh, here we go :)

Kenji

Heart was always my fav ring. Being able to essentially communicate with all the animals and gather them onto your team was always a nice thought. Of course, they never did let him use his full potential in the show, just like Beast Boy from Teen Titans.

It's always my guy that gets shafted.... :<

Amber Williams

Quote from: Kenji on May 13, 2007, 11:07:52 AM

So how about that third Xmen movie eh? :U

Kenji

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 13, 2007, 11:15:04 AM
Quote from: Kenji on May 13, 2007, 11:07:52 AM

So how about that third Xmen movie eh? :U

You make me sad. :< No Peanut Butter cups for you! D:<

Amber Williams

thegayhare

multani82

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 13, 2007, 11:25:30 AM
And Toad wins again~
pfttttt....sabertooth owns toad hands down!  >:3

Kenji

Quote from: multani82 on May 13, 2007, 11:41:33 AM
Quote from: Amber Williams on May 13, 2007, 11:25:30 AM
And Toad wins again~
pfttttt....sabertooth owns toad hands down!  >:3

Not when -she- gets ahold of a controller...

Amber Williams

Besides, Sabretooth is just a reskinned clone of Wolverine.  All he needs is a few more snikts and bubs...and maybe the trademark goatee, and he'd be the evil twin.

rabid_fox

That said, any evil twin with a well trimmed goatee can only be killed by being pushed into a vat of molten something. This is a universal truth and for that very purpose, I always keep a zippo handy in case I need to molt something. Yes. Molt. It's a new verb for us all to enjoy.

Oh dear.

superluser

My Saturday morning cartoon knowledge is weak, but wasn't Captain Planet the one where the villains wanted to harm the planet for no apparent reason?  The evil guy would say something like, ``Our factory is dumping 100 gallons of toxic waste into the water every day.  I want to increase this amount to 1000 gallons!''

One can only imagine what the board of directors would say to something like that.  None of the Planeteers scare me.  What really scares me is the thought that someday, I'd meet one of those writers.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: thegayhare on May 13, 2007, 11:40:32 AM
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=164

"Is that another face on its thigh?"

Quote from: rabid_fox on May 13, 2007, 12:11:00 PM
That said, any evil twin with a well trimmed goatee can only be killed by being pushed into a vat of molten something. This is a universal truth and for that very purpose, I always keep a zippo handy in case I need to molt something. Yes. Molt. It's a new verb for us all to enjoy.

There's more ways to skin a cat, rabid_fox...

Reese Tora

Quote from: superluser on May 13, 2007, 01:30:00 PM
My Saturday morning cartoon knowledge is weak, but wasn't Captain Planet the one where the villains wanted to harm the planet for no apparent reason?  The evil guy would say something like, ``Our factory is dumping 100 gallons of toxic waste into the water every day.  I want to increase this amount to 1000 gallons!''

One can only imagine what the board of directors would say to something like that.  None of the Planeteers scare me.  What really scares me is the thought that someday, I'd meet one of those writers.

My recolections of the cartoon aren't that great, but I believe that they wanted to do things that were poluting because it was profitable, and they wanted to do it dirty because they were @******$ and wanted to bait the captain planet team.

*has strange desire to see legend of zelda ripoffs featuring the female lead... Linka's awakening and wind walker*

Generally speaking, the more poluting an outfit is, the more profitable in the short run, because nothing's being spent on controling or containing toxic waste.

*Has another random thought whereby the Ninja Turtles would never have been created if the cap had been in that world, because the ooze would have been cleaned up.*
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Saist

...  I'm fairly sure the worst aspect of this is that people actually admit to having watched CP...

superluser

Quote from: Reese Tora on May 13, 2007, 04:30:32 PMMy recolections of the cartoon aren't that great, but I believe that they wanted to do things that were poluting because it was profitable, and they wanted to do it dirty because they were @******$ and wanted to bait the captain planet team.

Well, I specifically remember something that looked an awful lot like Captain Planet where the eco-villains didn't ever mention anything about profits or expenses.  A World Below Us has Sly Sludge zooming around in a pollution-powered submarine.  Really, now.

Quote from: Reese Tora on May 13, 2007, 04:30:32 PMGenerally speaking, the more poluting an outfit is, the more profitable in the short run, because nothing's being spent on controling or containing toxic waste.

As you mention, that's only true in the short run, because a large portion of the industrial waste is actually quite useful if you reclaim it.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Goatmon

I just realized that Dr. Blight's voice actor is (Or was) one of the only female, if not THE only, VA for south park. 

Fuyudenki

I think my brother and I got to watch half an episode of Captain Mullet: the pilot episode!

Our parents came down, watched for a minute, and said "OK, that's stupid.  Turn it off."

some fifteen years later, a friend of ours was talking about how he and my brother always wanted to watch Captain Planet when they were younger, and interjected "Though in retrospect, all that show did was breed tiny eco-terrorists."

RJ

And then there was the evil Captain Planet... but I can't remember much more.