someone actually discovered kryptonite!!!

Started by GabrielsThoughts, April 27, 2007, 11:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielsThoughts

that's right somebody actually found a rock whose chemichal composition is almost identical to  kryptonite.
check out the link for details.

http://www.zoinksmagazine.com/
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Kenji

Well, I spose we're safe if we ever get attacked by Kryptonians.
I wonder if it works on any other god-moders. Hmmmmm.

Aisha deCabre

Interesting indeed.  Although, didn't that element exist already?  Well, it's called Krypton in the periodic table.   :rolleyes
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Aridas

But since it doesn't contain something the kryptonite in the referenced Superman Returns movie does, they can't call it a match now, can they? :3

ITOS

Shake n' Bake: Kryptonite.
Just ad fluorine.
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Alondro

It's only because the Kryptonite in the case in the movie was mislabled as another mineral, which I believe Lex Luthor commented on.

'Real' kryptonite is suposedly a mineral oxide or a transuranic element formed in the thermonuclear detonation of planet Krypton, as the comic story goes originally.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Illusionist

This turned up on Have I got news for you. The host said about the formula on the case, and Ian Hislop said "So...it's got the same chemical formula as a film prop?"

Damaris

Krypton the current element is a gas.  It has nothing to do with the new element found, so the new element cannot be called kryptonite.  I believe the new one is being named after the town it was found in (Jarite comes to mind, but that's too short.)

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

LionHeart

In Superman III, there was a component that was listed as "Unknown", that made up 0.57% of Kryptonite.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

King Of Hearts

Kryptonite IIRC was based on the element Krypton, also the reason why Supergirl is from the city of "Argo" from Argon... what's next? The province of Flourii?

bill

ITOS

Alondro

Quote from: Damaris on April 27, 2007, 10:28:37 PM
Krypton the current element is a gas.  It has nothing to do with the new element found, so the new element cannot be called kryptonite.  I believe the new one is being named after the town it was found in (Jarite comes to mind, but that's too short.)

What was found was not an 'element', but a new 'mineral', which is made up of several elements already known.  The only new elements these days are the ones made by blasting gold atoms with other elements and neutrons.  And those have a half-life of a few microseconds at best.  We're completely out of new elements to find in nature.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

ITOS

Quote from: Alondro on April 28, 2007, 09:58:09 AM
We're completely out of new elements to find in nature.   :3
What about dark matter?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Vidar

Quote from: ITOS on April 28, 2007, 11:38:32 AM
We're completely out of new elements to find in nature.   :3
What about dark matter?

Dark matter is not an element. It is the matter the universe that can't directly be seen. Scientists think it's there based on the way galaxies interact with each other. It's not believed that this dark matter has a single chemical composition.
No one knows exactly what it is.  :mowninja
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

ITOS

Quote from: Vidar on April 28, 2007, 11:41:55 AM
Quote from: ITOS on April 28, 2007, 11:38:32 AM
We're completely out of new elements to find in nature.
What about dark matter?
[snip] No one knows exactly what it is.

But if you don't know what it is you can't know there isn't any new elements in it.