2007/03/30 [768] Size doesn't matter

Started by thegayhare, March 30, 2007, 01:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reese Tora

Quote from: Kenji on March 30, 2007, 04:01:37 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 30, 2007, 03:53:06 PM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on March 30, 2007, 03:48:11 PM
really people, what's with the cubi obsession... can't have a single conversation here without mentioning them.
haha, That's Amber's fault for making them so popular, blame her. Lol heh heh.

Ninja Turtles are famous, but no one things that April, Splinter, Shredder, or Usagi are gonna grow up to be turtles.

'cause you don't get born a ninja turtle, you ahve to take a green bath to become one. :B

I'm sure there's plenty of disturbing fan fic out there where april et al find themselves turned into turtles by various means.  (but what you think he do... after)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Aleolus

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on March 30, 2007, 01:38:06 AM
Well, at least the wings aren't red, thus preventing a whole slew of bad jokes.

Jokes about small red wings?  I can't think of any, anyone want to enlighten me as to some of them?

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Aleolus on March 30, 2007, 04:31:24 PM
Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on March 30, 2007, 01:38:06 AM
Well, at least the wings aren't red, thus preventing a whole slew of bad jokes.

Jokes about small red wings?  I can't think of any, anyone want to enlighten me as to some of them?
Quote from: Haz on March 30, 2007, 01:47:31 AM
Or maybe you don't watch hockey.  D:

Quote from: Teroniss on March 30, 2007, 04:03:22 PM
Quote from: Killaexotic on March 30, 2007, 01:41:24 PM
Quote from: kaskar on March 30, 2007, 04:08:34 AM
   Are the wings, while when fully grown, aerodynamically functional , also an empathic collector like the cubi second wings ?
*starts to think* OMG a flying cow!!!!!!  :P :tongue :lol

And yet its not nearly as impressive as a flying pig would be. Afterall, Monty Python has already pulled the flying cow off.
Jesus Christ! D:

ChaoSynergy

*squints* Lorenda's skinnier...

So the lesson is fat = wings? o_O;

Saist

Quote from: ChaoSynergy on March 30, 2007, 04:56:23 PM
*squints* Lorenda's skinnier...

So the lesson is fat = wings? o_O;

I hope not... she's a great Big Fat Cow.

(I hope she's glad I noticed :P )

Homicidal_Kitten

Lowenda has wings. o.o

Makes me wonder how big Her mom's are.

I'm very slow, I didn;t even know the second panel's dialoge has a second meaning until Amber said so... :B

superluser

Quote from: devilsislegrl on March 30, 2007, 03:20:19 PM**EDIT** almost forgot why I came back here.  I figured out the Queen of Diamonds thing.  It's from the -original- Manchurian Candidate...I'm not gonna be a plot spoiler, go and research it yourself.

Yeah, I guess I see why Kria should be Q of diamonds now...

It's possible that llearch got the reference but didn't feel that the comparison was appropriate, given one or two differences (OK, one *large* difference).

Otherwise, some of you may need to bone up on your classic films.  Seriously, it's a good flick to catch.

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on March 30, 2007, 05:35:37 PM
Quote from: Homicidal_Kitten on March 30, 2007, 05:26:35 PMMakes me wonder how big Her mom's are.
maaaybe you should spend a little more time reading the comix :P

Yeah, but that was roughly 400 years ago.  Who knows what her wings look like now?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Stygian

Possibly, angels and demons might be the only ones with wings large enough to be aerodynamically functional in Furrae? This demands more investigation... and answers!

Aridas

Why? their wings look just like anyone else's...

Valynth

Quote from: Stygian on March 30, 2007, 06:20:00 PM
Possibly, angels and demons might be the only ones with wings large enough to be aerodynamically functional in Furrae? This demands more investigation... and answers!

uh, the fact that said wings are attached to roughly human frames makes them aerodynamicly unable to fly.  Unless said human were to have all hollow bones and enough muscle mass in the wings to offset the 150-190 pounds of the main torso and appendages plus the wieght of the actual wings themselves.

Untill they achieve that, all they really have is glorified glider system permenantly attached to their back which would be rather bad in a wind gust.

In short, only magic will allow you to fly while maintaining a humaniod form+wings.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Kenji

Quote from: Valynth on March 30, 2007, 06:35:00 PM

uh, the fact that said wings are attached to roughly human frames makes them aerodynamicly unable to fly.  Unless said human were to have all hollow bones and enough muscle mass in the wings to offset the 150-190 pounds of the main torso and appendages plus the wieght of the actual wings themselves.

Untill they achieve that, all they really have is glorified glider system permenantly attached to their back which would be rather bad in a wind gust.

In short, only magic will allow you to fly while maintaining a humaniod form+wings.

Well... most winged characters I've seen are either birds or of some magical descent... Angels, Cubi, Demons, Dragons, etc...

Valynth

Then wouldn't it be possible for other magic beings who don't have wings to learn some form of willed flight?
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Valynth on March 30, 2007, 06:43:16 PM
Then wouldn't it be possible for other magic beings who don't have wings to learn some form of willed flight?
Maybe it requires a combination of magic and wings in order to completely work as true flight.

Just an example, there is a LEGO comic called Bionicle. In the first comics, one of the Toa(the heroes), Toa Lewa possesed the Kanohi Mask of Levitation. It did not allow him to fly, but it did always give him soft landings as well as let him easily swing through trees(his favorite form of travel), and of course, levitate. However, after all six Toa were trasformed into Toa Nuva, with better masks, weapons, and elemental powers, Lewa had the Kanohi Nuva mask of Levitation, and also got twin Katana Weapons. By attaching the Katana points to his waist, (acting as a physial glider) and using his Mask at the same time, he had true flight.

In a similar example, in the Nickelodean cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender, in the very first episode Aang describes how he is able to perform true flight; he uses Airbending to control air currents that go right beneath his Glider-staff. If he is using only his glider, that is exactly what he does: glide. If he uses only Airbending, he can only hover. Either one alone cannot fly, but combined they can.

Even in the real world, all this is nearly identical. the three basic concepts are gliding, hovering, and actuall, true "powered flight". If you have a lightweight  aircraft with only wings, you will glide with it. Gliders operate on this principle. If you attach a propeller to an engine, that provides power, but by itself, will only hover. Helecopters use this principle(because, technically, helecopters dont fly, they just hover in various directions). If you combine these concepts, unpowered gliding and powered hovering, you will get a true flying machine, the plane.

Maybe in Furrae, it works in a similar way. Neither Magic(hover) nor Wings(glide) alone will let you truely fly, but add them together.....

I don't know about everyone else, but this makes a heck of a lot of sense to me.

Rythak

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 30, 2007, 07:11:44 PM
Quote from: Valynth on March 30, 2007, 06:43:16 PM
Maybe it requires a combination of magic and wings in order to completely work as true flight.

Just an example, there is a LEGO comic called Bionicle. In the first comics, one of the Toa(the heroes), Toa Lewa possesed the Kanohi Mask of Levitation. It did not allow him to fly, but it did always give him soft landings as well as let him easily swing through trees(his favorite form of travel), and of course, levitate. However, after all six Toa were trasformed into Toa Nuva, with better masks, weapons, and elemental powers, Lewa had the Kanohi Nuva mask of Levitation, and also got twin Katana Weapons. By attaching the Katana points to his waist, (acting as a physial glider) and using his Mask at the same time, he had true flight.

In a similar example, in the Nickelodean cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender, in the very first episode Aang describes how he is able to perform true flight; he uses Airbending to control air currents that go right beneath his Glider-staff. If he is using only his glider, that is exactly what he does: glide. If he uses only Airbending, he can only hover. Either one alone cannot fly, but combined they can.

Even in the real world, all this is nearly identical. the three basic concepts are gliding, hovering, and actuall, true "powered flight". If you have a lightweight  aircraft with only wings, you will glide with it. Gliders operate on this principle. If you attach a propeller to an engine, that provides power, but by itself, will only hover. Helecopters use this principle(because, technically, helecopters dont fly, they just hover in various directions). If you combine these concepts, unpowered gliding and powered hovering, you will get a true flying machine, the plane.

Maybe in Furrae, it works in a similar way. Neither Magic(hover) nor Wings(glide) alone will let you truely fly, but add them together.....

I don't know about everyone else, but this makes a heck of a lot of sense to me.
Makes alot of sense to me too...

Anri

Quote from: Kenji on March 30, 2007, 06:40:10 PM
Well... most winged characters I've seen are either birds or of some magical descent... Angels, Cubi, Demons, Dragons, etc...

Or sometimes in the case of my EXCEPTIONALLY old and long gone tiger character... he developed wings by one day finding out he had the 'flight' flag set on him. This was determined by accidentally walking off a cliff and finding himself mid-air. (On FurryMUCK of course, wasn't paying attention to exits. ;) ). He then theorized that he must have wings. And thus, he did.

Aurawyn

Quote from: Killaexotic on March 30, 2007, 01:41:24 PM
Quote from: kaskar on March 30, 2007, 04:08:34 AM
   Are the wings, while when fully grown, aerodynamically functional , also an empathic collector like the cubi second wings ?
*starts to think* OMG a flying cow!!!!!!  :P :tongue :lol

I think it would have been funnier if she had been a pig  :B >:3

Aurawyn

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on March 30, 2007, 03:48:11 PM
And now someone (me, obviously) must now point out you can't have a half cubi, so we don't have a half succubus on our hands :D

really people, what's with the cubi obsession... can't have a single conversation here without mentioning them.

I think I just read something that said you can be Half Cubi.. but that might only work with another creature parent.. like a Mythos/cubi or some such..  Not Cubi/Being

I could be wrong tho..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aurawyn on March 30, 2007, 08:43:09 PM
I think I just read something that said you can be Half Cubi.. but that might only work with another creature parent.. like a Mythos/cubi or some such..  Not Cubi/Being

Where?  I'd like to see that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Boog

Those have to be the most adorable randomly aquired limbs I have ever seen.

Aurawyn

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 30, 2007, 08:44:59 PM
Quote from: Aurawyn on March 30, 2007, 08:43:09 PM

Where?  I'd like to see that.

Like I said.. I might have read it wrong, or am misinterpreting it... Its Amber's reply in the "Dragon's have your dad" post.

devilsislegrl

If I could be completely random and appreciative for a moment:

The stuff that goes on in this forum is one of the only things DMFA-related that keeps me sane while waiting for updates.

Thank you, crazy people, thank you.

:milklaugh  :tighthug  :superlick  :smack  :ipod

rt

>:3 The double meanings .. they are so tastey!!!  >:3
Well done, even if not intended.  :boogie

Stygian

Duh. And just what the Hell did you think I meant?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Stygian on March 30, 2007, 11:36:07 PM

Duh. And just what the Hell did you think I meant?

Unless of course, you take the god Amber into accout. The most likely thing is that god has made the physics in Furrae work differently than our world, thus enabeling anyone with normal-sized wings to be able to fly anyway, making everything I said earlier pointless.....
especially since it has already happened... dammit...

Stygian

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 30, 2007, 11:59:23 PM
especially since it has already happened... dammit...

Well, you must not disregard the same thing that you do when looking upon e.g. earlier comics or the Cubi 101 stuff we have seen; when it comes to certain strips and certain events, it seems that they only exist for the purpose of comical relief. Thus, it is entirely out of it whether they are canon or not.

Small-winged cubi flying without magical assistance and wings popping like pimples might just be a pair of those certain few things. They do seem quite ridiculous, after all.

Reese Tora

It should be pointed out the weasel did have horns, was probably a demon, and could have been using magic to bolster his flight. (Also, he had a fairly large wing to body ratio... larger than many of the other winged furs we've seen in the comic.)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Reese Tora on March 31, 2007, 12:13:21 AM
Also, he had a fairly large wing to body ratio... larger than many of the other winged furs we've seen in the comic.
I beg to differ about that, almost everyone to me seems to have the same wingspan, if not bigger (look at Fa'lina) but....
Quote from: Reese Tora on March 31, 2007, 12:13:21 AM
It should be pointed out the weasel did have horns, was probably a demon, and could have been using magic to bolster his flight.
I never saw that, very good point. My flight lecture lives!!!!!!

Turnsky

unfortunately in modern times beings have wings of their own... the large kind, usually by boeing or airbus.  :P

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Turnsky on March 31, 2007, 12:43:38 AM

unfortunately in modern times beings have wings of their own... the large kind, usually by boeing or airbus.  :P
Very good point!

... I think I may have an OCD about pointing out good points..... I better mention this to my counselor. :sweatdrop