2006-12-19: "Dragons have your dad"

Started by MaskedRetriever, December 19, 2006, 02:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick012000

I think that this could kick off a very interesting story arc. That, and I think Destania is underestimating the capabilities of Dan and his freinds.

Let's see...

There's Dan, who is skilled at physical combat, and seems to get more powerful the more he gets hurt.
There's Mab, who has Fae uber-magic.
There's Azlan, who also has Fae uber-magic.
There's Abel, who's a master of all things Cubi.
There's Wildy, who has Shamistic magic and sadist.
There's Jyrras, who is a skilled mad scientist. He's the major wildcard here, because the dragons won't be expecting the sorts of stuff he can use.
There's Deathbringer, who seems to be invulnerable, and could probably kill a few dragons by suffocation or something.
There's Lorenda, who is physically powerful, and probably has a bit of Demon magic.
There's Pyroduck, who might or might not be on Dan's side when the time comes. If he is, however, Dan's party would be able to infiltrate Dragon territory much more easily.

Amber Williams

Oh hey! Apples and oranges! Could it be that Cubi and Demons are not the same thing and so they go by different basic rules?

If you want direct quote, I believe I said somewhere that for Cubi it's often an all or nothing policy.  You either are a Cubi or you arent...however that doesn't mean you arent a half-breed of sorts.  A cubi/Mythos combo is not going to be the exact same as a Cubi/Being combo...for obvious reasons.  When I say there is no hybrid for Cubi, I mean that there is no "Oh I'm only a half cubi which gives me all these strengths and none of their weaknesses" type BS that tends to happen with RPers who want to try to leech every possible power and ability for their character.

Demons/angels on the other hand...you can be half.  You don't have such a startling transformation of powers and energies like a Cubi that make up your race.  You can be primarily a being but with wings...or a normal-looking gal who has the ability to make her skin rock-hard.  Lorenda is a half-breed in the sense she does not have the full epic scale of powers like her mom does who is a full-blooded demon.  Odds are if future generations consisted of being pairings...the demon-aspect would dilute or fade into a neutral zone.

Cliffnote Version: Yes there can be creature hybrids/half-breeds because there are a dozen different races of creature.  Some creatures when cross-breeding (if they are compatable in the first place) will create a more half-breed variety while others have a very all or nothing approach.

In other words you both are right in the sense but wrong in another...and are trying to explain two different situations as if they were the same.

Netami

Quote from: nick012000 on December 19, 2006, 05:56:05 AM
There's Dan, who is skilled at physical combat, and seems to get more powerful the more he gets hurt.

Sounds like a Saiyan... (half)

superluser

You know, I'm noticing that Dan has had a lot of interactions with dragons.  There's Pyro and the one that he owes money to.  In some bestiaries, drakes are young dragons.  I'm not sure if that's true in DMFA.  None of these seem to have ever wanted to do Dan in (in the case of Pip, because he'd lose a chew toy), and aside from Pyro, no one has ever shown any concern for Dan being around them.

What can this possibly mean?  My only suggestion is that only a subset of dragons is out to get Dan, and Pyro is from that subset.

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 19, 2006, 05:21:45 AMReal life genetics don't even count for DMFA in this case... Especially since hybrids carry the qualities of their parents, and Amber HAS already said you can't be half-creature.

On the other hand, the real life English word for the offspring of two genetically dissimilar parents is `hybrid.'  The word dates to 1828, thus predating the field of genetics (Mendel, 1865).  English is the only language allowed on this forum, so I'm at a loss for how this word wouldn't be right.

There's a good anecdote about this in the Annotated Pratchett File (search for `Djelibeybi').

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Kasarn

Quote from: Amber Panyko on December 19, 2006, 06:02:36 AM
Oh hey! Apples and oranges! Could it be that Cubi and Demons are not the same thing and so they go by different basic rules?

Aridas clearly said HALF-CREATURE in his post. Which Tapewolf and others have also said.

Zedd

Quote from: Netami on December 19, 2006, 06:05:50 AM
Quote from: nick012000 on December 19, 2006, 05:56:05 AM

Sounds like a Saiyan... (half)

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/8433061/ ¬.¬  Splans alls

superluser

Quote from: Zedd on December 19, 2006, 06:16:12 AM¬.¬  Splans alls

It doesn't work unless it's half-human.

Somebody pointed this out to me once.  In whatever mythology you look at, humans are always inferior to the other races, but if you have a half-human, half-(whatever), it's even better than the pure-blooded (whatevers).

Examples:

Mr. Spock
Goku
Merlin
Bat Boy
Blade

Netami

Don't forget INU YASHA!

And M'lady.

And technically Goku is full-blooded Saiyan. Bardock and his wife were both Saiyans. Gohan is half-Saiyan and, while doing very well up to the Cell Saga, was not ultimately more powerful for being a half-blood.

Harry Potter? Not a half blood, either. Hermoine makes up for her half-blood nature by being extra studious in school, but not ultimately more powerful FOR being half-blood.

Sid

Since I just got up, I won't fry my brain by reading the speculation posts right now.

However, my first thought after today's comic was that this must be Amber's way of saying "Merry Christmas" to the speculation brigade ;)

Quote from: superluser on December 19, 2006, 06:35:06 AM
Somebody pointed this out to me once.  In whatever mythology you look at, humans are always inferior to the other races, but if you have a half-human, half-(whatever), it's even better than the pure-blooded (whatevers).

Examples:

Mr. Spock
Goku

A) Star Trek and DBZ don't exactly count as mythology in my book :P
B) ...Goku is a half-breed? When did that happen? I thought he was a pure dude, shot to Earth from planet Dudemajo... please fill in the names, it's been eons since I watched that show ^^; Ninja-edit: Oh, right. Gohan.

Oh, and is Hermione considered to be a halfblood? I thought I read somewhere that both her parents are non-wizards... but I still have to read more than just the first book ^^;

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2006, 04:08:08 AM
Quote from: superluser on December 19, 2006, 03:35:12 AM
or the fact that he's a `cubi/being hybrid.
There's no such thing as a cubi/being hybrid.

I don't have the Nice archives with me at the moment, but I swear when I was searching them last night I saw Amber describe Dan as a being/cubi hybrid.  She did immediately follow it up by saying that he had full 'cubi powers, of course.

Amber's posted already, but I think this is the part you've had in mind:
QuotePosted by Amber Panyko (Member # 6308) on 03-21-2005 04:24 PM:

In the DMFA world, there really isn't so much as a "half" of anything. You might end up with some beings who are magically inclined and show some traits of a Creature, or you might end up with a Creature who is severly handicapped in comparison to its fellow race...but that is about the extent of a half-race.

-----

Posted by Daimien (Member # 8341) on 03-21-2005 04:31 PM:

What about Lorenda? She is a Half Demon.

-----

Posted by Amber Panyko (Member # 6308) on 03-21-2005 04:36 PM:

As far as the eyes of the legal system and Creatures is concerned, Lorenda is considered a "Demon"...just a weaker one.

Some beings would consider Lorenda a half-demon...but really it isn't so much an impressive difference to give herself a new label. Unless you want to look like the human equivalent of those people who go on about how they are "half German and half Irish with a mix of Native American"

In theory Dan is only half-cubi, but the way abilities and powers work, they tend to come in all or nothing.

Temporary copy of thread at http://www.youkai.de/dmfa_forum1534.htm
:boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on December 19, 2006, 07:05:55 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2006, 04:08:08 AM
I don't have the Nice archives with me at the moment, but I swear when I was searching them last night I saw Amber describe Dan as a being/cubi hybrid.  She did immediately follow it up by saying that he had full 'cubi powers, of course.

Amber's posted already, but I think this is the part you've had in mind:
QuotePosted by Amber Panyko (Member # 6308) on 03-21-2005 04:24 PM:
In theory Dan is only half-cubi, but the way abilities and powers work, they tend to come in all or nothing.
Spot on :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ShiningShadow

I told you there's a battle for the power between Dragons and Cubi's. Look it up on the thread"Why Dagons hate Cubi." I knew this from the beginning when Pyro was there and Abel protecting Dan and the other Dragons doesn't know his existence and powers. They are holding Dan's dad I would tell him everything and the only person I will know who would tell is Abel or Destina. This is winding up to be a battle and Falina knew about this all along. I still don't trust her she has this web all arranged till her liking. I will wait and see if the beginning of this epic story.

Gabi

Lorenda is a half-breed in the sense she does not have the full epic scale of powers like her mom does who is a full-blooded demon. Odds are if future generations consisted of being pairings...the demon-aspect would dilute or fade into a neutral zone.
I remember you saying that she was technically a demon, just a weaker one. Does that still hold?

As for Pyro... he did say the thing about Dan's grandson being a future leader was just a joke. I do wonder what he was doing in Twink Territories in the first place, but it's likely that Biggs and/or Destania know about him, and he hasn't told the other dragons about Dan in all the time he's been living in Lost Lake, so I don't think he's plotting against him. Besides, it would be hard for a spy to be that friendly and still want to betray those around him. I believe he's either on Dan's side or outside the conflict (the fact that dragons are involved doesn't mean ALL dragons are).
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

King Of Hearts

*blink* *blink*

Talk about story progression.

Kasarn

Quote from: Gabi on December 19, 2006, 07:43:28 AM
Lorenda is a half-breed in the sense she does not have the full epic scale of powers like her mom does who is a full-blooded demon. Odds are if future generations consisted of being pairings...the demon-aspect would dilute or fade into a neutral zone.
I remember you saying that she was technically a demon, just a weaker one. Does that still hold?
Technically Lorenda is a half-demon as the point of being technical is to be specific rather than generalising.
For practical purposes it would vary depending on the task. Usually she'd be "a demon, just a weaker one"
For everyday purposes, she is a demon because she is strong, has pointy horns and sharp teeth.
Another demon, however, may consider her a half-demon because she isn't as powerful... heck, he may call Lorenda a half-Being.

Well, that's my thoughts on that anyway...

I couldn't decide what quip to put on it :[

Lomgren

Well, I can honestly say I wasn't expecting any of this at all, like most of the readers.  Right over my head.

...actually, I'd be surprised if anyone was expecting this.

RushFox

"Dragons have kidnapped your father! Are you a bad enough dude to save him?"

Seriously, that's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this topic.

Personally, I think Pyroduck has no connection with these kidnappers and even so, he has a thing for Dan's sister. That may have some influence on his actions...

I wonder what Merlitz/Abel is doing right now, we haven't seen him for a while now...

Alondro

*Charline AH-HA!!*  So THAT'S why snipers are after me!  Dragons!  Curse them!  I'll bet that evil Pyro is an agent!  Now I understand why he's hitting on Alexsi!  And once he gets Destania, he'll eat Alexsi, just like I said!  Dragons are EVIL!  Evil evil evil!  Not like us innocent cubi!   :3

*Charles erms*  You devoured the souls of an entire village last night.

*Charline uhms*  They looked at me funny...  :sweatdrop

*Charles  :aack * I see... I suppose that kinda-sorta justifies mass slaughter...  Well, at any rate it could explain Dark Pegasus' reaction to Destania having a child.  I wonder if he had any alliance with the dragons.  So many possible secret alliances!  
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

rt

joins in the chorus of "Ahhh .. so  that is why the dragon and the cubi ..."

quite the stalemate-hostage situation they have going.

superluser

Quote from: ShiningShadow on December 19, 2006, 07:33:08 AMI told you there's a battle for the power between Dragons and Cubi's.

``When you're a wyrm. you're a wyrm all the way, from your first barrow guard to your last dying day...''

I'm telling you, there is no generalized dragons/`cubi war.  If there were, then why would they want to kill Edward?  Why does everyone, from Abel to Fi say, ``this is bad for *Dan*''?

Quote from: Netami on December 19, 2006, 06:50:06 AMDon't forget INU YASHA!

Oop!  I think this was one of the original examples.

Quote from: Netami on December 19, 2006, 06:50:06 AMAnd technically Goku is full-blooded Saiyan.

Yes, I was thinking Gohan (didn't he blow up a dimension once?).  For some reason, I thought that he was more powerful, but truth be told, I hate DBZ (and DBGT, and DB).

fakelike

For so much information in a page, I'd have expected a lot more words.  Nicely done.

Resource for more theories about Ti'Fiona's son.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_527.php

ShiningShadow

But in any case Dan is the future of all Cubi and others in general and will bridge a gap between two races Dragons and Cubi. That's the first theory the second is mine I see a epic (or tiny war as anybody sees it) between the two factions and Dan will do something to shift that balance towards the Cubi. All this planning from Biggs to Destina to even Dr. ink for Pete's sake something is up at the Saia Academy  something very big. I know for sure right now that Dan is part of that equation you could bet the farm on that.

Tapewolf

Is it just me, or has no-one commented on the second pane?  Reading it again that's probably one of the scariest things I've seen in the strip.  And I quote:
"Even if there are last-minute complications, the whole plan should hit so fast that half the world will sleep through it."

What the hell are they planning?  The Apocalypse?

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2006, 12:22:55 PM
Is it just me, or has no-one commented on the second pane?  Reading it again that's probably one of the scariest things I've seen in the strip.  And I quote:
"Even if there are last-minute complications, the whole plan should hit so fast that half the world will sleep through it."

TW that's what I've been talking about that for a month a half they are up to something it's either a war that Biggs will profit from or something far, far worse then we could imagined. Oh TW that quote you could find it on the thread "Why Dragons Hate Cubi." there where I said these things about a impending war between Dragons and Cubi.

Tapewolf

Quote from: ShiningShadow on December 19, 2006, 12:31:00 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2006, 12:22:55 PM

TW that's what I've been talking about that for a month a half they are up to something it's either a war that Biggs will profit from or something far, far worse then we could imagined. Oh TW that quote you could find it on the thread "Why Dragons Hate Cubi." there where I said these things about a impending war between Dragons and Cubi.

Why so you did.  I'd clean forgotten about that.  I must admit it looked pretty paranoid at the time, but now I'm not quite so sure.

I don't believe there's been any communication between Fa'lina and Destania since before Biggs was born, otherwise she would have sent Dan to SAIA herself, not Aary.  The only reason I can see otherwise is because she's terrified her communications would be intercepted which makes the idea of Destania and Fa'lina being in on the conspiracy rather less likely.

Also, if Biggs has a link to the Creature Council (as mentioned by Kria), why on earth are they still worried about Jyrras and his toys when Biggs is poised to do something that half the world won't sleep through?

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2006, 12:22:55 PMIs it just me, or has no-one commented on the second pane?  Reading it again that's probably one of the scariest things I've seen in the strip.  And I quote:

My initial suspicion (few strips back, unpublished) was that she was trying to take over SAIA.  But since she wants Dan there, that seems unlikely.  There is the possibility that Destania wants Dan to be part of her vanguard to attack the academy, but Biggs' comment seems to indicate that she wants Dan there to keep him safe.

There are a few other options in this vein, but even fewer of them explain the dragon factor.

The oddest thing is that all the `cubi are interested in the adventurer (Edward) aspect, while all the other adventure-bait are interested in the succubus aspect.

...a thought occurs.  What if Edward pullled a Bunny Lebowski?  He doesn't want Dan to go to SAIA, and the only way to shut Dee up is to pretend to be kidnapped and make it seem unsafe to tell SAIA about it.

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2006, 12:48:21 PMI don't believe there's been any communication between Fa'lina and Destania since before Biggs was born, otherwise she would have sent Dan to SAIA herself, not Aary.  The only reason I can see otherwise is because she's terrified her communications would be intercepted which makes the idea of Destania and Fa'lina being in on the conspiracy rather less likely.

You're halfway there.  25 years is a long time, and if Dee really wanted (or even sorta wanted) to contact Fa'Lina, she would have had no trouble finding a way with slim to zero chance of interception.  If you want me to speculate, I can.

Plus, it would give me another opportunity to reference Dune.

Manawolf

Well this just flew through my head:

"The Dragons have your Dad.  Are you a bad enough dude to save him?"

Madmann135

On the topic of half breads I might say that in a way I think Dan's clan is part dragon due to the pip dragon like head wing tendrals which could explain a few things like his affinity towards dragons.

Though there is one thing that you all are forgetting.  The best place to hide something valuable is in plain sight.  For all we know, Pyro's litte joke about his predition of the future and his roll there could have been the trouth and he said it in order to get it out in the open and have a laugh at the incredible comedy of the situation.

Though if that prediction is true that leaves one question to be answered?  Who's little Dan's mom.  It could be Matty which could explain why the child was quite powerful, Even Dan said that Blue Mythos were a formidable foe.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

superluser

Quote from: Madmann135 on December 19, 2006, 03:01:58 PMhalf breads

Half bread?  Is that like when a cereal and a yeast love each other very much...

Quote from: Madmann135 on December 19, 2006, 03:01:58 PMI might say that in a way I think Dan's clan is part dragon due to the pip dragon like head wing tendrals which could explain a few things like his affinity towards dragons.

That's just crazy enough to work.  It wouldn't explain why Abel sees dragons as a threat to Dan, but I'm acting on the assumption that Abel doesn't know the whole issue with the dragons.

Quote from: Madmann135 on December 19, 2006, 03:01:58 PMThough if that prediction is true that leaves one question to be answered?  Who's little Dan's mom.  It could be Matty which could explain why the child was quite powerful, Even Dan said that Blue Mythos were a formidable foe.

Who is ``little Dan?''  Do you mean Daniel Ti'Fiona when he was little?  I'm not sure of how reproduction works with succubi, but I think you'd remember having your kid.

Wanderer

Quote from: Manawolf on December 19, 2006, 01:43:36 PM
Well this just flew through my head:

"The Dragons have your Dad.  Are you a bad enough dude to save him?"
All right, that's two people saying that. What's that from? I feel like I should know.

superluser

Quote from: Wanderer on December 19, 2006, 05:07:52 PMAll right, that's two people saying that. What's that from? I feel like I should know.

I figured it was Bad Dudes (A/K/A Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja)...

...and it was.