TMNT

Started by Darkmoon, March 25, 2007, 12:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

Got to see the movie opening weekend. Have to say, it was really pretty good. They certainly played to their audience, and by that I mean the legion of TMNT fans from the past two decades, and not to a bunch of snot-nosed kids that haven't heard of the turtles.

Some small bits weren't as good as they could have been, details here and there that didn't quite jive, and they did break the laws of physics at least once (near the end -- anyone that knows how long it takes to travel across the galaxy will know what I'm talking about). Plus, the climax itself wasn't as climactic as I would have liked.

However, as I said, it was pretty good, and far better than TMNT 2 or 3 (ugh, 3... how awful you were). TMNT (4) is well worth the watch.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Zedd

I'll drink to that...Yes TMNT 3..Even the Angry Game Nerd hated it..It was a gipped movie in disquise!!

Prof B Hunnydew

Okay, it follow the original comic that is the TMNT balck/white comics.  The cg art is very good for characters on the last fight scene too much like a video game feel.. Of course, the ending left it open for another movie..

PBH

Darkmoon

Of course it did, and why shouldn't it? It's the 4th movie in a franchise.

Prof B Hunnydew

I don't know the cartoons and the color comic books always seem to be water-down from the edgy independent comic from the 1980's.  The characters had more personality than the live action movies, too.

PBH

Zedd

Water down? What comics where you reading ma'am? I do hope its the one where Raph was all blackish...Anyone rember that?

Darkmoon

Depends on what comics you're talking about as to how "dark" the story is supposed to be. Regardless, the cartoons are what made them popular, so they have to cater to somewhere in that market.

Prof B Hunnydew

The TMNT originated in an American comic book published by Mirage Studios in 1984. The concept arose from a comical sketch by Kevin Eastman during a casual evening of brainstorming with his friend Peter Laird. Using money from a tax refund together with a loan from Eastman's uncle, the young artists self-published a single issue comic intended to parody two of the most popular comics of the early 1980s.  The comic was meant as a one shot issue lasted about 76 issues. After that Archie Comics took over the comic series.  The early 1980 were a darker time of comics.   And the Turtles reflected that.

Once the TMNT started to target a more Kids market, the stories and the characters become more simple.  The internal tension between the brothers was played down, and Casey was dumb down or rarely shown.  April changed too, but I glad to see she has improved in this movie.

PBH

Zedd

Everyone needs an inprovement sometimes. Even small major chars do as well

Darkmoon

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on March 25, 2007, 02:12:17 PM
The TMNT originated in an American comic book published by Mirage Studios in 1984. The concept arose from a comical sketch by Kevin Eastman during a casual evening of brainstorming with his friend Peter Laird. Using money from a tax refund together with a loan from Eastman's uncle, the young artists self-published a single issue comic intended to parody two of the most popular comics of the early 1980s.  The comic was meant as a one shot issue lasted about 76 issues. After that Archie Comics took over the comic series.  The early 1980 were a darker time of comics.   And the Turtles reflected that.

Once the TMNT started to target a more Kids market, the stories and the characters become more simple.  The internal tension between the brothers was played down, and Casey was dumb down or rarely shown.  April changed too, but I glad to see she has improved in this movie.

PBH

Yes, but the cartoons are what made it popular. You didn't disprove that at all, all you did was quote history that I, as a fan, already knew.

Gee, thanks. :/

Prof B Hunnydew

Sorry I Like the movie because it follow the comics more than the cartoon, if I was against anything it was the cartoon series.  and Movie 2 and 3.

:mowsad
PBH

Kenji

Ah, I did so love it. How it made reference, in passing, to the past movies, and in a sense as being after the newer series. I hate in movies of franchises how they explain everything about a character that, anyone who goes to see the thing, should already know. Like how they don't say in the movie who exactly Karai is, as the cartoon and whatnots do that.

As a turtle fan, I give it an awesome. |3

Darkmoon

Honstly, I had to be reminded about who Karai was, simply because I didn't watch the newer cartoon, and I hadn't heard that character's name in a while.

I do agree, though, it was nice that they didn't go over EVERYTHING once again. It was a flaw of the second movie that they felt the need to retell the origin story again. We can all assume everyone who went to the sequel saw the first one. O_o

Zedd

I still need to see it for myself chaps but it does sound like a good for the old times

superluser

Somebody mentioned that there's a terrifying trailer out before the TMNT movie.

Underdog.  Remade as live action.  With Underdog no longer Shoeshine Boy, but rather Shoeshine Boy's dog.  And apparently the only dog that can talk, making the concept of a secret identity rather stupid.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

Quote from: superluser on March 26, 2007, 06:57:55 AM
Somebody mentioned that there's a terrifying trailer out before the TMNT movie.

Underdog.  Remade as live action.  With Underdog no longer Shoeshine Boy, but rather Shoeshine Boy's dog.  And apparently the only dog that can talk, making the concept of a secret identity rather stupid.

Hollywood is really scraped the bottom of the idea barrel with that  :rolleyes

Darkmoon

I saw nothing about those changes specifically, but the Underdog trailer was halfway amusing.

Zedd

I know what the funniest and best part of the trailer was for this...THE ENDING!

superluser

Quote from: Darkmoon on March 26, 2007, 07:18:02 AMI saw nothing about those changes specifically, but the Underdog trailer was halfway amusing.

QuoteA laboratory accident gives an ordinary beagle named Shoeshine Boy (voiced by Jason Lee) unparalleled superpowers, including the ability to speak with a human voice. He is soon befriended and adopted by a lonely 12-year-old boy named Jack (Alex Neuberger). The two develop an even greater bond when the boy learns of the dog's incredible powers and secret identity as the crime-fighting pooch named Underdog.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Prof B Hunnydew

What they got abandon the stupid idea of the super energy pill in his ring?  aaaw..They could have had the boy give the pooch the pill...humpt

Well, I wonder, if Polly Purebred will in on this.  She will likely be some reporter's pet.

:mowhappy
PBH

edit: that's Polly Polly

Alondro

*sighs*  So in other words this 'Underdog' bears absolutely nothing in common with the original other than the name.  I suspect this will be another 'Street Fighter' as far as accuracy and quality.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Prof B Hunnydew

Fresnor

April + yellow latex = win.  *Just got back from the movie and that's all I'll say about it, glad she isn't completely worthless now.*

Kenji

The only times she ever really was "worthless" was the 80's cartoon and most of the older movies. >.>

Helena

Who is the villian again in it? I am a tmnt fan, but...its been a while, and I never knew of the comics, ha. I sound pathetic...hey...I liked the old cartoons...of course i was little when I saw them, though
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, whose to say who I really am at all?

Prof B Hunnydew

Well Shredder and the Foot clan of Ninja were the main villians for most the series... But In this movie the Foot clan is the only old villians without the Shredder, who was killed or destroyed in the last movie, I think..

PBH

Zedd

Urgh....Okays what happened really was shredder got super huger of his former self (Kevin Nash as supshredder btw) thanks to drinking the ooze himself and they battle least for a short split half 2-3 seconds underneth of a old beach docks and so it fell right on top of super shredder instantly killing him...Yet the turtles live again for a couple more years. Yet what I dont get is...He was crushed by a garbage truck in the first and yet lived...But in the second movie wooden rafters fall on top of him and he dies!

Alondro

Uhm... one of the rafters went through his eye and squished his brain... yep, that's what happened.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Helena

Um...I know what happened in the old movies, I'm talking about the new one...which was answered I guess, the foot clan. But, who is the girl in it again? Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, whose to say who I really am at all?

Prof B Hunnydew

The real villians.... Wait do you want to spoiled it of the ones who didn't see it?...  well the girl leader of the Foot Clan is Karai, it looks like.  But the Foot are Hire by Max Winters who is a mystery.  He hires April too to play a Lara Craft type character and sends her to Central America some things.... Anything else you want to know. you need to go see the movie or PM me.

PBH