They are planning to mutilate a classic

Started by thegayhare, February 27, 2007, 06:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/02/21/the-day-the-earth-stood-still-being-remade-for-2008/

No No NO NO NO NONONONONON

*curls up in a ball clutching his treasured copy of the greatest Science fiction movie ever made*
I'm generaly a wait till you see it before you make a judgement guy, but they can't do this

I honestly thought the day the earth stood still would be exempt from the remaking craze there just isn't enough action,,,

they already got my favorite horror movie the fog  but I could expect that.  but the dat the earth stood still...

It's just so wrong, they can't do this, It'll be ruined.

Tiny crested flint

:U [insert Why God! 'A' smiley one million times]

No they can't do this....*sigh* but they're still gonna.

Hopefully they'll realize the studidity of it all and see the remake for the abomination it is.

If they do make it, the only way it could be better is if everything were exactly the same so the only improvements would be picture and sound and mabye a few effects.

bill

Let's see how many SFX and COOL EXPLOSIONS they can cram in there.  :rolleyes

Tiny crested flint

Tapewolf

I would have thought the Cold War message would be rather lost on today's audience.  Hell, I'm 30 and I didn't fully appreciate the peril until after it was pretty much over.

The other one which looks to be interesting (morbidly interesting, like a train wreck) is this alleged remake of The Prisoner which again, is so rooted in the Cold War that bringing it into the modern day would result in something almost - but not quite - completely unlike the original.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

The Prisoner is an awsome awsome series though I am still not sure what the last episode was about.  And I watched it a few times. O_@

llearch n'n'daCorna

Possibly make it part of the War on Terror(tm) instead?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 27, 2007, 06:37:03 PM
The Prisoner is an awsome awsome series though I am still not sure what the last episode was about.  And I watched it a few times. O_@

I don't think anyone really knows apart from McGoohan himself, and he ain't telling.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 27, 2007, 06:45:49 PM

Which one?  I don't see it working properly either way:

The Day The Earth Stood Still:
(A) Aliens come along and tell the evil Arabs who hate our freedom to stop hating our freedom or they'll come and kill everyone
(B) Aliens come along and tell Bush/Blair to stop using the war-on-terror to gain root access to the Constitution/Magna Carta or they'll come and kill everyone

Somehow I can't see it.

As for The Prisoner, I cannot see any possible terrorist goal that can be achieved by kidnapping someone and placing them in The Village (which would have to be well hidden if it was run by terrorists).

Since the core of the series was that he was never sure if he was taken by Russia, the UK or some outside agency like the Illuminati, the only way you'd be able to come close would be to make it so that he's not sure if he's been kidnapped by the US or Osama - and that is probably too unflattering to the administration to be a viable production in today's climate.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2007, 06:53:29 PMI don't think anyone really knows apart from McGoohan himself, and he ain't telling.

I'm not entirely convinced that McGoohan knows.  There are some who think that Markstein was the brains of the outfit, and that after he left, McGoohan didn't know what the thing was supposed to be about.

I think that that's giving McGoohan too little credit, but I did get the strong sense that there were two competing visions of what the allegory was.  One was suggesting that we are prisoners of society, and the other was suggesting that we are prisoners of ourselves.

When it came time to end it, McGoohan went nuts with the prisoners of society angle, so much so that it doesn't make any literal sense, and only makes sense when viewed as an allegory.

(P.S. you might be interested in the line that I've finally gotten around to adding in my signature.)

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2007, 06:53:29 PMWhich one?  I don't see it working properly either way:

The Day The Earth Stood Still:
(A) Aliens come along and tell the evil Arabs who hate our freedom to stop hating our freedom or they'll come and kill everyone
(B) Aliens come along and tell Bush/Blair to stop using the war-on-terror to gain root access to the Constitution/Magna Carta or they'll come and kill everyone

Apparently, you forgot the point that Klaatu made.  If the people of the world can't get together and stop with the crap about clash of civilizations, then people will come in fakey looking spaceships and take away our lights.

It would probably run something like the following:

``You!  You scare your people into believing that the world is going to explode if your people don't trust you.  You!  You torture people for no reason, claiming that they are enemies.  You!  You run around blowing things up so that you can tell people that you're destroying the Great Satan.  You can all cut it out, or else I'll cut off your internet access.  How's that for fear, torture, you people of the Great Satan?''

Still, I'm not sure if they could make it as good as the original.  I'm also not sure how good the original was.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Alondro

Meh, they're eventually going to remake everything, because no one in Hollow-wood has any idea how to write an original story.  They're also idiots; thus the remakes will be horrible, as we have seen already.

Except perhaps the "Plan 9 From Outer Space" remake... I can't really fathom how that could be made worse... but where there's witlessness, there's a way.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

superluser

Quote from: Alondro on February 27, 2007, 10:35:41 PMExcept perhaps the "Plan 9 From Outer Space" remake... I can't really fathom how that could be made worse... but where there's witlessness, there's a way.   :P

Well, Plan 9 was kinda original, right?

They do occasionally try to do original stuff.  Did you know that they made a movie version of Finnegans Wake?

Quote from: Finnegans Wakeriverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend
of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to
Howth Castle and Environs.
    Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passen-
core rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy
isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor
had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse
to Laurens County's gorgios while they went doublin their mumper
all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to
tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet, though venissoon after,

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on February 27, 2007, 08:26:26 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2007, 06:53:29 PMI don't think anyone really knows apart from McGoohan himself, and he ain't telling.

I'm not entirely convinced that McGoohan knows.  There are some who think that Markstein was the brains of the outfit, and that after he left, McGoohan didn't know what the thing was supposed to be about.
That might explain a few things :P

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2007, 06:53:29 PM
The Day The Earth Stood Still [2007]:

Apparently, you forgot the point that Klaatu made.  If the people of the world can't get together and stop with the crap about clash of civilizations, then people will come in fakey looking spaceships and take away our lights.

I haven't seen it for twenty years, but I don't see anything you've added that's fundamentally new.  Have you seen both versions of 'Little Shop of Horrors'?  I'd be amazed if they didn't warp the moral and polarise it into one of the two versions I've listed above.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2007, 06:53:29 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 27, 2007, 06:45:49 PM

Which one?  I don't see it working properly either way:

It was a throw-away line. On the downside, I haven't seen either of the stories you mentioned, but from what I'd heard, there was a possible way of reading it as being taken by the US, or taken by terrorists... the problem is, neither party would put you on an island, now. They'd both torture you to find out if you'd say what they wanted you to say...

*cough* enough politics, anyway.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 28, 2007, 04:19:20 AMI haven't seen it for twenty years, but I don't see anything you've added that's fundamentally new.  Have you seen both versions of 'Little Shop of Horrors'?  I'd be amazed if they didn't warp the moral and polarise it into one of the two versions I've listed above.

Well, yes.  I'm just saying that if they really wanted to make with the same ethic, they could.

(And it's been a while since I've seen the remake, but I'm pretty sure that Jack Nicholson beats the pants off of Steve Martin)

Turnsky

Quote from: Alondro on February 27, 2007, 10:35:41 PM

Except perhaps the "Plan 9 From Outer Space" remake... I can't really fathom how that could be made worse... but where there's witlessness, there's a way.   :P

that's easy..

have it directed by uwe boll and starring tom cruise.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Zedd

Oh Zen..Better warn the old man...He be peeved