I LOVE Winter!

Started by TheGreyRonin, February 25, 2007, 03:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreyRonin

Yesterday my yard was mostly brown, dead grass and mud showing through following a three-day thaw and thunderstorms the night before.

Today, we have roughly a foot of snow, and everything is white. There's a drift that runs the length of my house that's five feet high and just over fifty feet long. I wish I had a camera!

I've heard that a lot of people in Iowa are without power, and it may be up to a week before they get it back.

No, I'm not complaining. I love this weather!

vulpesweasel

Quote from: TheGreyRonin on February 25, 2007, 03:36:29 PM
...Today, we have roughly a foot of snow...

LUCKY! The most we've gotten down here, was like, an inch or something. I love snow. No school, and IT'S SO PRETTEH! Yea, but anyways, you should get a camera. Cause snow is good.

Gabi

I like winter too, even if we don't get snow here. Can I have some, please?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

xHaZxMaTx

I'm with Gabi, gimmeh some shnow! :eager

Valynth

I'm glad I don't get snow down here, cause snow=snow shovel and I'm the only person on my street who is young enough to do it without risking medical complications....
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

bill

Snow is awesome because it = skiing. I don't get people who hate snow.

TheGreyRonin

Oh, I understand why some people dislike snow. If you get enough of it and aren't adequately prepared, it amounts to a ton of backbreaking labor. And if you're a city dweller who isn't in the best of shape, it doubles the strain and aggravation.

Personally I enjoy snow. It makes a nice break from the flat, stark browns after the leaves have gone, and there is a certain beauty in how a coat of snow softens the lines of everything it covers. The way drifts form and curl are also beautiful, looking almost like frozen waves on the ocean.

You can also hide bodies in them. *grins*

llearch n'n'daCorna

Not for very long, though. Not unless there are some fairly heavy seasonal changes....

Finding a nice quiet area and building a lime pit, then covering it totally after you put the body in it, though, is much less likely to be found. Of course, it requires a lot more planning....
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

vulpesweasel

i think it's kinda funny that when they call for an inch of snow everyone is like "oh noes! we all gonna die!!!!1" and then everything at the grocery store is GONE, like it's been sacked by pirates (or ninjas)

Valynth

Quote from: vulpesweasel on February 25, 2007, 10:14:26 PM
i think it's kinda funny that when they call for an inch of snow everyone is like "oh noes! we all gonna die!!!!1" and then everything at the grocery store is GONE, like it's been sacked by pirates (or ninjas)

or ninja pirates.

Yeah, that pretty much happens here the moment we see a single flake of snow.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

xHaZxMaTx

You can't blame us Bakersfieldians for being snow paranoid. :<  We get snow maybe once every 10 years.

TheGreyRonin

I'm used to the snow. It's only been in the past three or four years that winter hasn't been nine months filled with feet of glorious frozen water. I've missed having drifts to plow through with my hound.

Brunhidden

I work as a manager at a newspaper distribution plant, and theres roughly thirty paper carriers who show up on Sundays at frigging midnight to get their papers in hopes of delivering them all and being home before six.

this did NOT happen this Sunday. i was there till noon waiting for everyone to arrive.

why? 12 inches of snow and a strong wind thats why. ploughs didn't even start on the roads till eight in the morning, a full two hours after everyone is supposed to have been long gone. contrary to popular belief most newspaper carriers are not adolescent boys on bicycles, they're usually elderly women and men in their mid 50s who do this as a supplemental income.

when those little old ladies did finally manage to show up i had the distinct pleasure of handing them piles of newspapers which had a headline reading "Killer storm claims seven" and that was just SATURDAYS snowstorm which was only a quarter what sundays was.

and after all that i had to spend a full twenty minutes shoveling my car out of a snowdrift before i could leave for home (i am incredibly glad i thought to bring my emergency shovel INSIDE with me otherwise i wouldn't have been able to open the trunk) which was a fun filled trip in itself where i had to wait for a kind passerby to PUSH my car back out of the road to my apartment complex. after walking home it was almost another six hours before someone rang my doorbell saying they were first now plowing the parking lot.

i just looooooove winter, but i hate living in Wisconsin. after this rant you may find it ironic that i plan to move to Norway once i have the money. at least they know how to deal with it in ways better then then waiting for someone to die before sending out the snowplows.

Note- Kenosha county actually DOES wait until the first snow related death before sending out snowplows, I am NOT kidding here.

QuoteJust kill me now
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Gabi

If we had a snowfall here, everyone would stop working and run outside to watch. :3
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Sunblink

I've never frolicked in snow since I was around five years old and was visiting my grandma in New York. From what I can remember, I threw a snowball at my Grandpa's ass and ran behind a nearby shed as he looked around for the offender.

Good times. Good times.

But it would rock if we had snow in Florida. Would really compensate for all of those damn hurricanes well enough.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Ryudo Lee

Down here we get snow once every ten years or so, and even then, it's not even an inch.  I don't think that I could live in a place that gets a lot of snow fall.  The first time I'd have to dig out my car just to go to work would be the end of it.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

TheGreyRonin

Chance of as much as six more inches by Wednesday night! Wheeeeee!!!!

roninfoxtail

Snow would be nice where I am. Being in CA thou, I get rain. Lots of it. You look at the clothes I came in today and you'd swear I went swimming in them.

xHaZxMaTx

Rain?  Where?  I see no rain. :<  No rain in So. San Joaguin Valley, anyway.  Can I have some rain? :3  I keep asking for other people's weather, because mine sucks. :cry

Dakata

Quote from: HaZ×MaT on February 26, 2007, 07:52:17 PM
Rain?  Where?  I see no rain. :<  No rain in So. San Joaguin Valley, anyway.  Can I have some rain? :3  I keep asking for other people's weather, because mine sucks. :cry
Give me your sucky weather, and I'll give you Michigan's snow and coldness.

Bwahahah. >:3 All of 'dem damn Michiganians'll wish they had their cold back when it really, really sucks outside! And I won't get it back unless they worship me! WORSHIP MEEEEEE!

...:3 Or they could get me Oogie's hat. That's fine too.

*Plot, plot, plot. Scheme, scheme, scheme* >:3

Brunhidden

It is a very strange moment when you are at work and your boss calls to tell you she cannot come into work today, she is trapped behind a snowdrift taller then she is.

on the downside it means you STILL have to do your work, plus if anyone has a steamy pile of issues they go to YOU and not your boss. despite that it is still novel and kinda funny.

QuotePeople living deeply have no fear of death.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: HaZ×MaT on February 26, 2007, 07:52:17 PM

If you want rain that badly, we can arrange to have a few hurricanes sent your way.  We can certainly do with a few less of them.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

TheGreyRonin

Well, this morning we're having thundersnow! Nothing like walking your dog in what looks like a blizzard, only to see a flash of lightning then hear thunder rolling overhead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow

Despite the article's claims, South Dakota gets thundersnow fairly often. The local weather channel discusses it around five or six times each winter, and this time it's our turn.

Turning off my computer until it stops flashing outside. I love winter!

xHaZxMaTx

Thunder snow, eh?  With patches of periodic rain? :giggle

TheGreyRonin

No, Haz, no rain. Three inches of snow, with thunder and lightning. It's another of those oddball kind of things that happens around here.

Looks like more snow is possible, but the weather models show we'll probably only get an inch or less in the next day or so. Hopefully it'll slip west and we'll get some heavier stuff.

xHaZxMaTx

It was a joke. :<  ...Well, not really a joke, I guess.  What I was saying is the lightning bolts could melt the snow. which would give you a small area of rain for a short time.  Not sure if it actually works like that, but it makes sense.

TheGreyRonin

Apparently it doesn't, though that'd be pretty damn cool. It's only the second time I've actually been outside while thundersnow was happening; usually I stay well indoors.

I find it interesting that Wikipedia touts it as a rare thing, but people around here almost take it for granted.