The Username thread

Started by Roureem Egas, February 05, 2007, 11:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel Dragonkitty

My first job out of college I had a coworker who was completely into astrology and she nicknamed everyone by their signs. (year of the dragon, sign of leo = dragoncat later morphing to dragonkitty) Frankly she was a flake and I'm not sure she remembered people's actual names. I got off better than bullbunny.  :rolleyes
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

RJ

Originally, my nickname was Culbo. But people kept mistaking me for a guy...

I got 'RJ' from when I was on Neopets ages ago when I started up an account called 'Random_Joy' so I could use it to give presents to people over the Help Chat forum (before it went to the n00bs).

Eventually, the Giving & Co comic started up when I got involved in the Neopian Times and I got Random_Joy shortened to just RJ for my persona on it.

RJ pretty much stuck around until I joined Furcadia for a little while, when squirrel-RJ was created, and then the name changed into 'Raine Joybringer', which I pretty much use everywhere I go now.

Kasarn

I TOTALLY PUT A LOT OF EFFORT INTO MINE

Everquest random name generator :>
Kasarn was my Iksar Warrior.

TheGreyRonin

I had the nickname Stalker when I was younger. When I first went into chat I wanted a nickname that wouldn't get lost in the crowd, and I dredged up my old one.

Five years later odd circumstances involving a nasty divorce, a nasty ex-wife, and a few unfriendly hackers caused me to lose that nickname on the IRC server I frequented. Since I had been Duelling (RPG single combat) as "Stalker, the grey ronin", I simply switched to The Grey Ronin.

As a further breakdown: Grey is my favorite color as well as the main color of my eyes, and generally denotes age and wisdom. As for ronin, I studied sword when I was younger, and my sensei is no longer alive, so I am literally a masterless swordsman.

(Or perhaps I just picked it out of a hat. *grins*)

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on February 05, 2007, 08:18:37 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 05, 2007, 07:50:50 PMI also really like the Keatons, from Legend of Zelda, so I added that to my name.
Aww, I was hoping it was Buster Keaton.  Oddly enough, I don't even like Buster Keaton.
Quite.  Either that or Dean Keaton from The Usual Suspects...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

Oh, I probably have the simplest story of all: Gabi is short for Gabriela, my first name.

I was a member of other forums for years before I joined DMFA, but everyone always ended up calling me Gabi (to the confusion of new members who couldn't immediately associate 'Gabi' with... say... 'Lady Vulpix'). So when  I decided to join the DMFA forum, I thought: they're going to call me 'Gabi' anyway, let's make things simpler and sign up as Gabi from the start. So there it is.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Nikki

hmmm..well...

i had discoverd a long time ago about a fairy of Dragons Named Xzeliea, and Fantra was 'Fantasy' shortened, so the full name means (to me) Dragon of Fantasy.

as for my shortened username, 'Xze' became quite common on the old DMFA forum (who started that anyways?), so i kinda wanted to go 'cute' and add the second 'Xze' to make it 'Xze-Xze'...are you as confused as i am?

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Brunhidden

*hides mace behind his back*

show of hands, how many of you have your username here, a diffrent name on each IM program you have, another diffrent name for your DA or other galleries, and yet another diffrent name for each forum you go to?

form an orderly line, i would like to give you something.

QuoteIt tastes like free
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

TheGreyRonin

In all honesty, I'm TheGreyRonin in most places I go. It's only in a few areas that I have a second account under a different username, and that's mostly due to paranoia and self-defense.

LionHeart

My real name is Richard, so having read the story of Richard the Lion-Hearted at an early age (about 8 or 9, I think), I tend to use "LionHeart" as a screen name where possible.

Since this (or rather the original Nice forum) was the first forum I signed up to, it made sense to make my avatar character an anthro-feline.

On the Keenspot forums, I signed up as "OzLionHeart", since it wouldn't let me use just "LionHeart".

My DA is "LionHeartAU", as I felt this was a good compromise and made me recognisable to people from both forums (plus I also couldn't use "LionHeart" there).
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Xuzaf D

Back when I joined ICVDF, I thought mopeds and knights were neat, so I was the MopedKnight. The name became synonymous with retardation and ghey butt secks, so I changed it when the forum accidentally restarted and all previous names were lost.

The Joseph Dalmunda name was part family name and part original. Dalmunda is based on "Belmundo" and Joseph, well, that got used again back in the real world, so I switched out the name again.

Now I'm Warlike. Just look it up on one of those baby name sites, you'll get the idea.

Zina

So, like, back in the mid ninties there was this crappy song called "How Bizzare" by OMC.  One of the characters in that song was named 'Zina', and I thought that was a neat name.
Yep.

Imperial fox

Well...
I've had many nicknames/usernames
originaly my first was my xanga site and that was "Imperial_fox"
look up my profile and you'll find it then i used it here, but unsatisfied with it i made a moderation and now its "Blade fox"
1 i love swords
2 i have an odd liking towards foxes
3 to some one who didn't know me i would appear quiet and at the back
4 if you knew me i am pretty explosive, random and out there.

i'm not sure of the relavance of the  last two, my usern. may change, hopefully not for a while.
so far i've whent through 12 usernames. i've also been toying with the character, idas and looks have changed quite a few times. but both character and name have been settled.
if those are not good enough reasons, and you had to ask...you wouldn't even understand me, honestly!

Netami

My name is steeped in mystery. It's a conundrum wrapped in a riddle! A fallacy in a ruse!

TheGreyRonin

QuotePosted by: Netami

My name is steeped in mystery. It's a conundrum wrapped in a riddle! A fallacy in a ruse!

Really? I thought it was just "Net, Am, I" scrunched together.

Roureem Egas

I remember Netami once said that his name is the Japanese word for envy.

Tarkya

My name is a random amalgation of syllables that, by some twist of fate, is both completely original and the name of some obscure Nepalese festival that involves monks and the chasing of them.

Brunhidden

origin of words is a funny thing. and really hard to use.

for instance my REAL name is about as german as you can possibly get without naming your kid adolf, but if you try to translate it into german you get diffrent meanings depending on what dialect you use. translations include "bearer of christ", "pack animal", "he-who-carries-the-meatcleaver", and "pile of rotting waste". and if you think that ones puzzling my LAST name seems to translate into either "unimportant knight", "rockspliter", or "ugly man with a big stick who shows up when you dont pay your taxes"

i have sneaking suspicions as to which of theese my name really translates into, and i still am irritated my parents were actually heard to say "lets name him something german sounding" prior to my birth. you do not know how relieved you are to live your life knowing you were ALMOST named Alouicious, Alois for short.

QuoteFeeling grateful to or appreciative of someone or something in your life actually attracts more of the things that you appreciate and value into your life.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

TheGreyRonin

I can sympathize somewhat, Brunhidden. My first name means either "from the grey wasteland" or "fungus", depending on which translation you use.

Stygian

"He who listens" here, which might be correct. However "the pure" really is hilarious.

Netami

Quote from: Roureem Egas on February 08, 2007, 12:27:49 AM
I remember Netami once said that his name is the Japanese word for envy.

Yeah... Or that.

Xuzaf D

This reminds me of something. I've been thinking about changing my name to something else yet again. The current top runners are Dopple Dopple and Evil Penis. And before anyone says anything "Dopple Penis" is not a good idea for a name.

Jim Halisstrad

Penis Dopple
*nods*

It's superior.

*edit*  Sorry, couldn't help myself *grin*

Yugo

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, there was a comic that I read known as Full oc Monkey. There was an ongoing battle between Action Jesus and Spankachu that I found highly amusing. So, I began using it as a moniker. Usually my moniker is Yugo, but it varies from time to time.
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Warlike, have you -ever- posted in Lost Lake or The Arena?

If so, your name on your post there will change when you change your name in your profile, and that name, whilst vaguely amusing, breaks the PG rating just a little.

Just thought I'd mention it....

Xuzaf D

Calm down. It hasn't even happened yet.

Besides, it's not like a penis is evil or something... oh wait...

superluser

Quote from: Warlike on February 10, 2007, 01:11:25 AMBesides, it's not like a penis is evil or something... oh wait...

A penis is not evil per se.  It's a part of human anatomy.

Unsolicited penis in threads where anatomy is not being discussed, however, would probably cost the thread its PG rating.

Also, I call dibs on the username ``Unsolicited Penis,'' so you can't use it.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Warlike on February 10, 2007, 01:11:25 AM
Calm down. It hasn't even happened yet.

I'm calm. I just thought you might want to think about the consequences of such an action, and hence why the mods would take a dim view of it. :-)

Quote from: Warlike on February 10, 2007, 01:11:25 AM
Besides, it's not like a penis is evil or something... oh wait...

heh. :-)

bill

"Unsolicited Penis" would be a good name for a rock band. *hides*