That "News" Thread

Started by Gabi, January 22, 2007, 05:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damaris

Someone obviously needs to brush up on their classic movies.   :kirby

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Gabi

I wasn't talking about this particular case... nor this particular forum, for that matter.

I think I should try to choose my words more carefully, I seem to cause unfortunate misunderstandings too often.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

llearch n'n'daCorna

.. either that or the admins are all highly defensive about accusations of malfeasance... :-)

My money is on twitchy admins. Specially that coding one. He's shifty. Keep an eye on him...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gabi

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 25, 2007, 10:21:35 AM
My money is on twitchy admins. Specially that coding one. He's shifty. Keep an eye on him...
I always do. :mowwink

Supercheese

Quote from: Darkmoon on January 25, 2007, 07:25:34 AM
Here's a llama, there's a llama...

Dang you, now I've got that song looping infinitely in my head! Graaah, get it out!  :yuck

Zedd

Quote from: Darkmoon on January 25, 2007, 07:25:34 AM
There was a translation posted. Case closed.

Here's a llama, there's a llama...

*runs in fear of llama song and goes to fetch the holy hand grenade*

Gabi

.noitalsnrat a deen yllaer t'nseod eno taht ,kO

Sid

QuoteNews: .dekcas neeb osla evah dekcas eb ot dedeen ohw esoht kcas ot desoppus erew ohw esohT .swen eht ni stluaf eht rof niaga ezigolopa eW

...okay, this whole news "haxx0r1ng" gig is getting really old, really fast. Now it's switching to backwards text. What's next? L33t? ROT13? Seriously, exploiting imaginary loophole in the rules about it being okay if the the translation is somewhere nearby (like in another News entry) wasn't exactly funny the first time (especially when people have to wade through a dictionary to realize that it's just a translation of another News message), but going the kiddy way of backwards text is just plain lame in my eyes.

If the Mods have so much free time on their hands, they should just spend that time to comment on some art in the Tower or something. I think it'd be more appreciated than coming up with new, "clever" ways of keeping the mortals "entertained".
:boogie

superluser

Quote from: Sid on January 28, 2007, 09:15:31 AMwasn't exactly funny the first time (especially when people have to wade through a dictionary to realize that it's just a translation of another News message), but going the kiddy way of backwards text is just plain lame in my eyes.

Well, the language and translation for the first one should have been obvious.  I'm willing to travel to give people a personal screening of this video --so long as I don't wind up sitting next to a party from Rhyl who keep singing ``Torremolinos, torremolinos'' and complaining about the food...

The backwards stuff is a little over the top, though.  Can Caesar ciphers be far off?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yes.

Backwards text, I can read without sitting down to think it over.

Ciphers require (not necessarily for me, but for some, at least) a little more effort.

But your point is noted, and I, at least, will stop here. Although I had stopped, after the backwards text, anyway.

Azlan

The idea is just to ignore it... but then that defeats the purpose of something called news.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Damaris

Please, hardly anyone reads it anyway, much like people don't read signs in stores, whether they're important or not.  Why do you think we had three sticky threads reiterating what was in the news anyway?

And be honest, do you really want Darkmoon posting in the art threads?  This is probably a much better outlet.

Now, back on topic, please.  Otherwise, this thread will no longer be necessary, and you'll be stuck with the glitches that haven't been found yet.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Toric

So I noticed there's a lot of conversation going on about the various News thingies. I also noticed that it's off-topic conversation that has been officially frowned upon :< by an admin or two. So here's a solution: a topic dedicated to idle chit-chat and/or complaints about the fun News headings. I'll start things off.

Hypnotized... Prison and not a sanctuary... Take what we need and go.... Sounds like a Dawn of the Dead quote.

Ooh, and Funny Farm lyrics! Fun! :boogie
Yap by Silver.

Toric

I've been reading quite a bit of News chatter in this thread. As Damaris said, while it's interesting chatter it really is off-topic and disruptive to the purpose of this particular thread. So I politely ask (please?) that all such News conversation be redirected to this new(s) thread.
Yap by Silver.

Dakata

"...And the 31st is Inspire Your Heart with Art Day, so get creative!"

And an excuse to ignore my little brother on his birthday. Excellent. :mwaha

:3 *Is a meanie-head*

llearch n'n'daCorna

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: ToricHypnotized... Prison and not a sanctuary... Take what we need and go.... Sounds like a Dawn of the Dead quote.

They're coming to get you, Barbera!

RJ

:) I like zombie movies.

And funny holidays.

Toric

*Looks through the thread..... Is befuddled....* Ahh! Somebody took the news-related posts from the other thread and shoved 'em here. How very tricksy.

And the bunny clip reminded me once again that I need to see Night of the Living Dead.
Yap by Silver.

Supercheese

How many different ones are there? For that matter, how many could there be?

Damaris

My guess is eleven or so, and we have no idea.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Sorry, forgot to unsticky it...

superluser

QuoteThe 1st of Febuary is Hula in the Coola Day (as well as Bubblegum Day, yay)! And the 2nd is Groundhog Day (oh noes). It's also Hedgehog Day too (yay, Sonic)!

The second is also Candlemas for those on the Gregorian calendar.  Time to take down those Christmas trees!

Damaris

Crap.  I knew I forgot something.  Oh well.  Christmas in July, here we come!

superluser

QuoteNews: Weapons of Mass Destruction? Isn't destroying mass against the Laws of Thermodynamics?

Actually, nuclear weapons do indeed destroy matter.  They convert it into energy.  Look up binding energy.

TheGreyRonin

QuoteNews: I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before. 

Well, all of the "Burt" quotes I'm assuming are from Tremors, and related sequels. But I've been wrong before.

I know for a fact that the "What's wrong with boot-blacking? We like it very much!" is from "Prince of Space.

(And the fact that I know that means I really, really need a life...)

xHaZxMaTx

Teehee, the Tremor movies are silly.  I don't think I've seen the 3rd one, though.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on February 03, 2007, 05:31:44 PM
QuoteNews: Weapons of Mass Destruction? Isn't destroying mass against the Laws of Thermodynamics?

Actually, nuclear weapons do indeed destroy matter.  They convert it into energy.  Look up binding energy.

Converting it to energy is not destroying it. It's just putting it in a different form - albeit one that isn't immediately useful. Unless you like your toast well done.

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 03, 2007, 06:55:31 PMConverting it to energy is not destroying it. It's just putting it in a different form - albeit one that isn't immediately useful. Unless you like your toast well done.

Actually not.  The measure of the total amount of matter contained within an object is mass, and what comes out of a nuclear blast has less mass than what goes in.

Since it's being converted into photons, it's no longer matter.  Only fermions and a few bosons have mass.  I could get into the proof that photons don't have mass, but it's rather boring.

bill