A question of RP?

Started by Cerberus, January 24, 2007, 04:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerberus

(If this is indeed in the wrong forum, I have no qualms with it being deleted and directions to the right forum sent to my Inbox via PM)

I was looking through the RP forum and, well, I'm tired. I got bored after only reading a few titles. I've been on gaia and have grown rather board with the same old Star Wars/Star Trek/Club and Clan wars styles of role play. Basicly, I'm looking for a certain role play. Fantasy based, I'm werry of science fiction now. Story would be great instead of a bunch of characters running around willy...nilly and flailing around with Vengeful Gaze of the Gods. Basicly, an fantasy RP where the magic users arnt all Red Mages of Calidis (I get that right, I only recently started DnD)

I would prefer character development to be long and detailed. I despise one liners with a passion. I would also prefer powers gained at a slow pace. It kills an RP when the chracters become demi-gods with in the first fifty pages. An RP with crossovers into various books, games, and anime is always welcome, so long as it's not over bearing.

If any one in here is also in the RP forum and is in one of these Role Plays, could you please direct me to it? If one does not exist, I'd be more then happy to start such an RP. (Note also that in OOC i don't bother with spell check, but in Role Play I use Word before posting.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

You could always use Firefox 2, which spell-checks on the fly.... And doesn't have word's nasty habit of including special quote characters....

.. what's wrong with snappy one-liners, anyway?

(oh, and us mods just move threads, rather than delete them, usually. *bow* )
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Cerberus

Because Firefox is teh ebil :kruger

And thanks. I wasnt sure if the forum was for RPs only and thier ajoining OOC threads.

Gabi

That's a matter of perspective. I think Word is evil, what with its special characters, and how it can completely destroy the format of a document by a simple act of copy-pasting.

But, especially, I don't trust any automatic spellcheckers. They can tell you if what you typed matches a word in their lexicon, but not if it means what you intended it to mean. They can help you catch a typo or two sometimes, but they're no replacement for human spellchecking.

Now, about the RPs... if you don't like any of the current ones, you can always start a new one. I'd start one, but I don't have the time to join another RP, let alone host one.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Boog

What Gabi said. I agree about some of the stuff you mentioned, but willy-nilly can be fun too. If you don't see something you like, start something yourself.

Arcalane

Quote from: Cerberus on January 24, 2007, 04:04:05 AMI was looking through the RP forum and, well, I'm tired. I got bored after only reading a few titles. I've been on gaia and have grown rather board with the same old Star Wars/Star Trek/Club and Clan wars styles of role play. Basicly, I'm looking for a certain role play. Fantasy based, I'm werry of science fiction now.

Don't let your experiences somewhere else entirely different wear down your expectations of what you'll find elsewhere. For every cesspit of RP on the internet, there's an inversely good place. :P

Your experiences on Gaia, I think, will distinctly differ from experiences here.

I'm not a huge fan of fantasy myself, and prefer scifi.

But hey, that's life.

EDIT: 'Weary' as in 'tired of', or 'wary' as in 'cautious of'?

Quote from: Cerberus on January 24, 2007, 04:04:05 AMStory would be great instead of a bunch of characters running around willy...nilly and flailing around with Vengeful Gaze of the Gods. Basicly, an fantasy RP where the magic users arnt all Red Mages of Calidis (I get that right, I only recently started DnD)

I don't think that's an issue here. Trust me on this one. As long as you're in the right thread to begin with, this really shouldn't be an issue.

Quote from: Cerberus on January 24, 2007, 04:04:05 AMI would prefer character development to be long and detailed. I despise one liners with a passion. I would also prefer powers gained at a slow pace. It kills an RP when the chracters become demi-gods with in the first fifty pages. An RP with crossovers into various books, games, and anime is always welcome, so long as it's not over bearing.

Slow character development... check. Lack of (for the most part) one liners... check. Crossovers? None. Crossovers outside of the game's universe are something I dislike myself. I don't think you'll be finding any crossovers here.

Quote from: Cerberus on January 24, 2007, 04:04:05 AMIf any one in here is also in the RP forum and is in one of these Role Plays, could you please direct me to it? If one does not exist, I'd be more then happy to start such an RP. (Note also that in OOC i don't bother with spell check, but in Role Play I use Word before posting.)

If you're interested in fantasy type stuff, then I would probably recommend the Furrae Chronicles: Webs of Destiny threads, but you'd have to talk with Gareeku first. It's more modern-with-magic, as it's set in the same world as the DMFA comic, but it should be close enough.

Azlan

If you are looking here for that, then for the moment, there is nothing that shall fit the bill I am afraid.  The best option is to start your own.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Cerberus

I was thinkig it out today. I do have a fairly nice idea (atleast i think so) for a scifi fantasy. Though I'm weary (yes, as in tired ^^) of mostly scifi, a nice belnd of SF and F can do wonders for me.

Melpomene

Quote from: Cerberus on January 24, 2007, 04:04:05 AM
I was looking through the RP forum and, well, I'm tired. I got bored after only reading a few titles. I've been on gaia and have grown rather board with the same old Star Wars/Star Trek/Club and Clan wars styles of role play. Basicly, I'm looking for a certain role play. Fantasy based, I'm werry of science fiction now. Story would be great instead of a bunch of characters running around willy...nilly and flailing around with Vengeful Gaze of the Gods. Basicly, an fantasy RP where the magic users arnt all Red Mages of Calidis (I get that right, I only recently started DnD)

If such a RPs existed, then there'd be no point in sifting through pointless crap to get to the decent RP boards.

But, if you do start a Scifi/Fantasy RP, I'd be partical to join.

Manawolf

Hello, D&D RP currently in progress, with a motley group of folks from all walks of life trying to repel a siege upon a the small coastal city of Saltmarsh.  Things will be getting technical (it's D&D, what do you expect), but there should be plenty happening.  I do try to keep a good pace though, as turn based combat does slow things down a little, along with everyone not being able to be online all the time.

Cerberus

well, I did have an idea. It would be alot like sittign doen at a table to play DnD. My self being the DM <.< >.> And you all who joined under my spell...er...controle...er..wrarh...er...this isn't going well ^^;;

I have pages of infor regarding character creation made out. Based loosley on a similer game a friend of mine made up. Th eonly way to fully explain it would be to actualy create it (or perhaps post a mock thread here) and see what reactions are.

Manawolf

I prefer going with a preset standard, with a few places for malleability.  I run a fair game, and will see to it that your character is just as big a part of the team as the rest.  Of course, as with any war, you may sometimes get stuck with an assignment that takes you away from the action, but such things must be done (Those POWs aren't going to march themselves back to your camp, now will they?).

Azlan

Or guarding gates...

All games are welcome here Cerberus, you will likely find a number of players willing to give you the chance to do massive harm to their characters.

Cerberus

Hee hee hee. When the DM smiles, its already too late.

Happend to me on many occasions. Crawled my way out of hell quite a few times XD. Funny how the good ones always seem to end up in the bad place. I'll get workign on it all tomarrow. Ish tired now.

Arcalane

It's only too late when your PARANOIA GM starts smiling. At that point, the player's best bet is to feign insanity and/or death before they find their clones going on a suicidal mission to the Outdoors.  :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sheridan on January 25, 2007, 09:35:44 AM
It's only too late when your PARANOIA GM starts smiling. At that point, the player's best bet is to feign insanity and/or death before they find their clones going on a suicidal mission to the Outdoors.  :B

I've never played Paranoia, although I do have a copy of the rulebook.  If anyone wants to organise a game here, I'd be very, very tempted.   >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Arcalane

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 25, 2007, 09:44:07 AM
I've never played Paranoia, although I do have a copy of the rulebook.  If anyone wants to organise a game here, I'd be very, very tempted.   >:3

I also have a copy of the 2nd Ed rulebook, but the only adventure I have is the default one. :B

Gabi

That may be so, but... When Azlan starts smiling, it's time to be afraid regardless of the game system.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Cerberus

Yay! I have a small section done. One of my faovright sectiosn to do when creating a game of this type, classes and lands!

Okay, a small sample list of classes.

Archer
Gunman
Rouge
Bard
Assasin
Rocker (similer to bard)
Holy Assasin
Swordman
Crusader
Mage
Tech
Smith
Hunter
and Alchemist (yes, like FMA kind. No...you cant use it like Al, you have to actuly have a circle or symbol of some kind. I wont even allow it if you have a robotic arm and say you use it like Al)
(please feel free to make suggestions)

Possible lands for cross over campaighns

Fuedal Japan (for you Inuyasha fans.)
Nosgoth (for you Kain fans)
Modern, yet a scififantasy version of New York (basicly a new york where magic has progressed as much as science)
An unamed Fantasy world
an Unamed Scifi world
(in these worlds, those who prefer science will find that they gain negative point to thier feats if in a fantasy world. Those who prefer magic will recieve bonuses, and vice versu)

(suggestion for names is welcome, and suggestion for worlds is welcome as well. I do plan on building this RP and appreciate input as much as possible if you do plan on playing once its up. I like world that are created partialy by the DM and the chracter)

Cerberus

Yay! Races now.

Half Orc
Human
Dwarf
Half-ling
Elf
Half Elf
Dragon-kin
Cyborg
Android
Felid (anthro cat *any species*)
Canin (anthro dog *any species)
Equinic (anthro horse *any speacies*)
(If any one can think of a name for other Furry-type races, please submit. I'll add the ones I like.)

(List of Forsaken, creatures that are usaly always evil but for some reason or other have become good or nuetral)
Vampire
Incubis
Succubis
Demon
Devil (like DnD I draw a distinction between Demons and Devils. Demons being more more beastial, where as Devils are elegant and humanoid)
Ork
Troll
Zombie
Mummy.

Manawolf

I think you may have gotten demons and devils mixed up.  Even in mythological and desciptive terms, demons are the ones who are bestial, while devils are the ones with a bit more tact in their dealings.

I've heard references from various sources where brutal warriors are described as demons while cunning sorcerers and tacticians are said to be devils.

Cerberus

No, I'm sure I didn't. Perhaps in a mythological sence I did, yes. But I'm basing most of my descriptions off of the DnD Monster manuals. In those, Demons are Lawful Evil, where as Devils are Chaotic Evil. Most demons resemble humans or have humanod chracteristics, devils resemble mutated animals, most of them any ways.

Manawolf

Yeah, you got it reversed, man.  Seriously, check the MM, demons are chaotic evil, devils are lawful evil.

Trust the man who has the Fiendish Codexes.

And if you thought Yugoloths weren't the Neutral Evil mercenaries of the outer planes, you are way off.

Azlan

For once Mana is actually right.  Devils are Lawful Evil and Demons are Chaotic Evil.

Manawolf

I did find it confusing when I found out Tiamat, the Mother of Chromatic Dragons, was Lawful Evil, but I suppose when you live in Hell, the home of devils,  you just have to go with the flow.  She even has her own devil minions, the Abishai, which come in the five chromatic varieties.

Cerberus

*thorse his brain out and starts using the book instea do memory*

Yup, you're right. sorry. I'll switch that up

Cerberus

Quote from: Manawolf on January 28, 2007, 02:00:14 PM
Yeah, you got it reversed, man.  Seriously, check the MM, demons are chaotic evil, devils are lawful evil.

Trust the man who has the Fiendish Codexes.

And if you thought Yugoloths weren't the Neutral Evil mercenaries of the outer planes, you are way off.

I never said anythign about Yugoloths o.0 They didn't even cross my mind untill you mentiond them.

Cerberus

Any ways, I'm still up for suggestions. I need to start workign out the kind of weapons used.

I do have the usial Katana, Wakasashi, and Tanto. The bastard sword (I think also known as a hand-and-a-half sword...think Eragorn form LotR) Scymatar, Falchion, Braod sword.

But I was thinking more along the lines of fire arms. Flint lock, Revolver (both hand gun and rifle variants). .22, .45, and .357 caliburs. Shots guns, etc. I wont allow long range such as sniper rifle untill your well into the gunman class, and atleast some way into the assasine class. Mabey make it a cross class only weapon? Such as Hitman (assasine and gunman). I also did some thinking about another cross class i call Changeup (gunman and alchemist)

Again, I crave suggestions.

Zaon

why not comebine gunman and mag to create a (wait for it) GUNMAGE :B

Cerberus

becaus eit sounds too...ummm...Final Fantasysih? XD.

Nah nah. Its a good suggestion...but I dont think it would make much sence seeing as many mages can use projectile based magic form an early level that make a .357 magnum look like a pop gun. Although...at the same time...combinkign their magic with fire arms would allow them to deal a fair amount of damage with out having to use up too much of their magic....I'll think about it more. Thans for the suggestion (though it did look like a joke)