[Art] Turnsky: ze art of turnsky (9/9/07 - Avatars!)

Started by Turnsky, December 22, 2006, 03:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turnsky

well, i didn't put rings in the holes, that woulda been silly, anyways, when i come up with the final design.. i actually don't make a habit of drawing where the cutting edge finishes, i generally make it so one can tell from the differing tones of the blade where the edge is, and where it isn't.

a far superior representation of the blade's look can be found here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Turnsky/chptfivecover.jpg

edit: i think it looks better in this than the other one.

as for the gloves, yeah, i will intend for there to be a pair, but the bracer is one of a kind..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Manawolf

It still needs more of a tip or a curve to it, otherwise it's not going to dig very deep.  You should also work on emphasising the blade edge, most do this by having the edge look extra shiny.

But then again I only look at art, I don't draw it.  Plus, if you were going for that polearm blade you said you were modeling it after, then it becomes a little redundant with an axeblade, as using either blade looks like the second one would slow it down.  This is why the halberd was made, to stab at farther away enemies and then slash if they try to get too close.

I'm all about practicality, because FFX just took the unsual designs way too far.

Maybe this will help, or not: http://www.supermegatopia.com/comics/weaselboy.php?thisLink=wb07-06.gif

Turnsky

Here we go, a little redesign, as well as a new bengahli sigil in addition to another one i created a while back

i love creating things, particularly concepts, they just evolve into a way where it'll cool yet functional..

eg: Katana = cool and functional (cloud's FF7AC First Tsurugi sword = COOL, but sadly not functional.. but methinks DMFA's Dan would love one nonetheless.  :mowwink )

and some fanarts...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Turnsky/danart.jpg

Drake Manaweilder

I'm not going to lie to you, that is the oddest looking expression I have ever seen. :erk

That weapon looks like it could do a lot of damage, yet look cool doing it.

Zedd

The head wing thing..Yeah I know that feeling

Fex

Quote from: Zedd on December 24, 2006, 12:05:23 PM
Jumps on Zedds back and grabs thight to his head wings yaaaaay cubi ride

oh and great pics  :mowcookie

Zedd

Quote from: Fex on December 24, 2006, 03:49:15 PM

oh and great pics :mowcookie

GEEHHH!! GET IT OFF!!! *flails*

Fex

Quote from: Zedd on December 24, 2006, 05:59:24 PM

YEEEHAAAA

what kind of weapons do you create more?

Turnsky

Quote from: Fex on December 24, 2006, 06:16:15 PM
Quote from: Zedd on December 24, 2006, 05:59:24 PM

YEEEHAAAA

what kind of weapons do you create more?

i have a personal preference to polearms, but i like to design all kinds..  mainly melee weapons, however, i have no feel for guns and whatnot.

and as for the expression... well, wouldn't you look funny if you have your second set of head adornments twisted around like that?  >:3

Drake Manaweilder

Quote from: Turnsky on December 24, 2006, 08:29:10 PM
and as for the expression... well, wouldn't you look funny if you have your second set of head adornments twisted around like that?  >:3

True, true. Though I doubt I'd look that weird. Well.. Unless I was ticked off, Then I'd pull that face, become the embodiment of rage, and yell enough curses to send a necromancer running home to his/her mother. 

Turnsky

Quote from: Drake Manaweilder on December 24, 2006, 11:37:44 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on December 24, 2006, 08:29:10 PM

True, true. Though I doubt I'd look that weird. Well.. Unless I was ticked off, Then I'd pull that face, become the embodiment of rage, and yell enough curses to send a necromancer running home to his/her mother. 

well, any person would be mildly ticked off for having children play with they skulls (or anything attached)

making it brought a smile to my face, regardless.  :)

Fex

Turnsky

Quote from: Fex on December 25, 2006, 04:17:38 AM
do you create gun blades to  >3

i'll admit i haven't put much thought into it. but i can create a weapon with a badass bayonet on it..

or plasma weapons embedded in an axe: http://foxfire.comicgenesis.com/d/20050826.html

Fex

Quote from: Turnsky on December 25, 2006, 04:25:40 AM

i'll admit i haven't put much thought into it. but i can create a weapon with a badass bayonet on it..

or plasma weapons embedded in an axe: http://foxfire.comicgenesis.com/d/20050826.html
HOLD IT is that your comic  :boggle *pounces and hugs*

Turnsky

Quote from: Fex on December 25, 2006, 04:30:24 AM

yep..   now if you'll excuse me, i have some ribs to replace.. =p

Fex

Quote from: Turnsky on December 25, 2006, 04:31:45 AM
Quote from: Fex on December 25, 2006, 04:30:24 AM

yep..   now if you'll excuse me, i have some ribs to replace.. =p
your comic is in my top 10 of best comics and I have a lot of comics ^^

Turnsky

heh, thanks.. you might see some artworks related to my comic in this particular thread..

(and sometimes fanart)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fex on December 25, 2006, 04:34:19 AM
your comic is in my top 10 of best comics and I have a lot of comics ^^
It's just been added to mine as well.  Oh yeah, and the Dan picture is pretty neat as well by the way..

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

amazing what one can do with a tablet these days..

Turnsky

breaking a self promise, here.. but i haveta post this since it's a bit of an accomplishment as it's the first real pic i've ever made in pure photoshop, sketches, inks, everything. (also an experiment in me changing format and size of the comic, the next one that i'll make will be a few pixels higher..)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Turnsky/ffc20070108.jpg

and the self-promise was for me not to post any of my comics on this forum..
i shan't do it again.. :P

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on December 27, 2006, 09:41:01 AM
breaking a self promise, here.. but i haveta post this since it's a bit of an accomplishment as it's the first real pic i've ever made in pure photoshop, sketches, inks, everything.

Are you sure that's wise?  Amber at least had the paper sketches after the disk failure.  If you're going completely digital, make sure you've got a good backup scheme  >:3

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 27, 2006, 09:51:42 AM
breaking a self promise, here.. but i haveta post this since it's a bit of an accomplishment as it's the first real pic i've ever made in pure photoshop, sketches, inks, everything.

Are you sure that's wise?  Amber at least had the paper sketches after the disk failure.  If you're going completely digital, make sure you've got a good backup scheme  >:3

i make it a point to back up on a flash drive at least once a week.. once a month it's a DVD.

Zedd

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on December 27, 2006, 09:53:34 AM

i make it a point to back up on a flash drive at least once a week.. once a month it's a DVD.

Good.  Now, how far back do your archives go?  While you seem to have gone for a high quality JPEG process, I'd be rather interested in acquiring the entire strip in PNG or some other lossless format.  :P

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 27, 2006, 04:48:52 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on December 27, 2006, 09:53:34 AM

Good.  Now, how far back do your archives go?  While you seem to have gone for a high quality JPEG process, I'd be rather interested in acquiring the entire strip in PNG or some other lossless format.  :P

actually the strips are only saved in a 70% jpeg compression format, any loss is invisible to the naked eye.   my current archives date back to early '04, any previous comics are somewhere on my HD, either way, i managed to fill up 3 DVD's with the PSD's alone..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on December 27, 2006, 08:39:50 PM
actually the strips are only saved in a 70% jpeg compression format, any loss is invisible to the naked eye.   my current archives date back to early '04, any previous comics are somewhere on my HD, either way, i managed to fill up 3 DVD's with the PSD's alone..
Oho... so the entire series still exists in high-res, then?  Very interesting...

Anyway.  Regarding the Dan's Headwings picture, I was just wondering if you ever read Vince Suzukawa's strip The Class Menagerie?  The youth grabbing his headwings puts me strongly in mind of his art style.  If I had the archives with me I could probably find a frame of Kevin or someone with that feline expression of joy.  Perhaps later..

Regarding the Foxfire prototype which you posted here...  if I could figure out the passkey business on your strips' forum, I would add my voice to the others saying "keep it as A4!".  So I'll do it here.
Apart from the fact that it's what you've been doing thus far and from outside I don't see a pressing need to change, many of the strips which I consider to be among its finest moments so far are those which make full use of the A4 format.  Like this one, which would have been difficult to do justice in a DMFA-shaped strip as far as I can see.
Of course Amber will jump to that format herself when the need arises, e.g. strip 293, so I guess it remains an option even with the small-format strips.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 28, 2006, 07:54:42 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on December 27, 2006, 08:39:50 PM
Oho... so the entire series still exists in high-res, then?  Very interesting...

Anyway.  Regarding the Dan's Headwings picture, I was just wondering if you ever read Vince Suzukawa's strip The Class Menagerie?  The youth grabbing his headwings puts me strongly in mind of his art style.  If I had the archives with me I could probably find a frame of Kevin or someone with that feline expression of joy.  Perhaps later..

Regarding the Foxfire prototype which you posted here...  if I could figure out the passkey business on your strips' forum, I would add my voice to the others saying "keep it as A4!".  So I'll do it here.
Apart from the fact that it's what you've been doing thus far and from outside I don't see a pressing need to change, many of the strips which I consider to be among its finest moments so far are those which make full use of the A4 format.  Like this one, which would have been difficult to do justice in a DMFA-shaped strip as far as I can see.
Of course Amber will jump to that format herself when the need arises, e.g. strip 293, so I guess it remains an option even with the small-format strips.

yeah, ClassM used to be one of my favorites until it ended.. a shame, that.

and yeah, i know people's aversion to changing format, but i also know that readers inherantly fear change..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Turnsky/ffc20070110.jpg this i made last night.. i figure that the smaller strip format would suit me until i need some extra space, then 'boom', i just make it bigger. 

llearch n'n'daCorna

*cough* "soliders" ? (before you go posting it on your site, n stuff)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

ssshh   >.> <.<..  either way, i'm trialling the new format for two months next year, see how it goes, i'm already liking it, myself, since i'm actually able to make a strip or a page in a day.

llearch n'n'daCorna

mm. keep the story flowing, as it were, with you able to feel like you're making progress.

I think that's a good idea. If you feel more able to make smaller strips, the reader gets the same volume of output, but more reliably - if you miss a single strip, they miss only a quarter of a weeks updates, rather than a half. Or so, changing variables to match...

Besides - it boils down to, it's your comic. You do what makes you happy. If that makes your readers happy, great, but let's not make your readers happy at the expense of making you miserable. That way lies a lack of comic at all. :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears