more questions...

Started by GabrielsThoughts, October 23, 2006, 11:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielsThoughts

OK, so I should be able to have my website ready for public viewing in a couple of weeks, sometime in November, with a partial Archive.  Sadly of the 400+ pages I've only inked 90 and I'm uploading 50 pages that were drawn in pencil but look close to proffesional.  Concider yourself fortunate that I plan to have a fan comics section with all the DMFA Fan artwork that I have done to date, and the full Mr. Pink: more stupid than spooky comic "in color" uploaded sometime  in 2007. After the website opens I'm might not update for a few weeks because I should only have internet until December 15th.

Questions

How often, and when should I update?

Do they charge extra if more people look at your website than expected or shunt off the website entirely?

Is there anything you can't post on a website within the Web 14 restriction? (for instance I'f your characters  tend to speak curse words in l337 should you change your rating to web MA?)

Can you link more than one domain name to the same web hosting/ web page?

If I link to a particular favored comic, how will I know if I have obtained special Lazer shiooting powers?

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on October 23, 2006, 11:16:30 PM
Do they charge extra if more people look at your website than expected or shunt off the website entirely?

Depends who's hosting it and what their policy is.  With KDA, I used to have a 5GB monthly transfer allowance.  If I exceeded that, they'd charge extra at something like £5/GB.  Eventually the site load got so big I upgraded to 15GB since I was paying extra every month :P  They also had a hard limit of something like 25GB/month where they'd shut it down if it hit that level.  It's probably more like 100GB now - I'll have to check.

QuoteIs there anything you can't post on a website within the Web 14 restriction? (for instance if your characters tend to speak curse words in l337 should you change your rating to web MA?)

If it's encoded or otherwise censored I don't think it goes MA.  I'm MA on mine because not all the words are censored (except the F one) and it sometimes gets very violent or otherwise warped (like where we drug the party leader and get Sherry the mouse to have her way with the gypsy wench instead of the player).

QuoteCan you link more than one domain name to the same web hosting/ web page?

Yes.  How depends entirely on how your host works and to what extent they give you control over the DNS.  It also depends on whether you bought the domain name through the host or separately.  In the worst case, you can add a meta-refresh page on the other domain to redirect to the main one (trying going to 'slashdot.com' and watch the domain name change).

QuoteIf I link to a particular favored comic, how will I know if I have obtained special Lazer shiooting powers?
That I cannot tell you, Erik the Viking.

P.S.  I've always wanted to know what the 'z' in laser stands for  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aridas

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 24, 2006, 04:15:36 AM
Depends who's hosting it and what their policy is. With KDA, I used to have a 5GB monthly transfer allowance. If I exceeded that, they'd charge extra at something like £5/GB. Eventually the site load got so big I upgraded to 15GB since I was paying extra every month :P They also had a hard limit of something like 25GB/month where they'd shut it down if it hit that level. It's probably more like 100GB now - I'll have to check.
Why's yours so tiny?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 24, 2006, 06:46:48 AM
Depends who's hosting it and what their policy is. With KDA, I used to have a 5GB monthly transfer allowance. If I exceeded that, they'd charge extra at something like £5/GB. Eventually the site load got so big I upgraded to 15GB since I was paying extra every month :P They also had a hard limit of something like 25GB/month where they'd shut it down if it hit that level. It's probably more like 100GB now - I'll have to check.
Why's yours so tiny?

Partly because I'm in Britain and everything is more expensive.  But this was their line last time it came up:

I will admit, that on the surface, yes, we do look expensive for our virtual hosting, which is 99% due to the sheer volume of part time web hosts who have entered the business in recent years and who are over-selling like crazy - trust me, £25/year does not buy you 10GB Space and 100GB data transfer, and pay wages and other overheads - That's 640 accounts just to cover someone's wages.

Aridas

Bah. I'd think it's too expensive if they're not even offering the equivalent of 1TB monthly transfer for a 5 USD price, and that's after all the additional features, domains, subdomains, mail accounts, and such that are usually associated with a good paid provider...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 24, 2006, 07:55:47 AM
Bah. I'd think it's too expensive if they're not even offering the equivalent of 1TB monthly transfer for a 5 USD price, and that's after all the additional features, domains, subdomains, mail accounts, and such that are usually associated with a good paid provider...

Are you serious or exaggerating?  I would be fascinated to know what would happen if you actually tried to use all that capacity.
Even 1&1 quite simply do not offer that much at any cost, let alone at the bag-of-sweets price you're suggesting.  What Karl was saying was that many hosting providers sell more than their system can handle on the assumption that no-one is going to use it all, and then start suspending the accounts with the highest loads when they run into trouble.

Anyway, the bandwidth isn't really a problem for me at the moment.  Disk capacity is, though...

Aridas

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 24, 2006, 08:11:24 AM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 24, 2006, 07:55:47 AM

Are you serious or exaggerating? I would be fascinated to know what would happen if you actually tried to use all that capacity.
Even 1&1 quite simply do not offer that much at any cost, let alone at the bag-of-sweets price you're suggesting. What Karl was saying was that many hosting providers sell more than their system can handle on the assumption that no-one is going to use it all, and then start suspending the accounts with the highest loads when they run into trouble.

Anyway, the bandwidth isn't really a problem for me at the moment. Disk capacity is, though...
But I just read that off from their site, which actually seems to have some cut prices at the moment o.o Lemme copy a few of the more recognizable things from it

1&1 Home (not MS): $3.74/month (down from $4.99 possibly temporary)

Space: 100 GB
monthly transfer: 1000 GB
1 chat channel
starter software suite (Ulead PhotoImpact 11, NetObjects Fusion 8, Ulead GIF Animator 5, Hello Engines!, Ranking Toolbox 4.0, WISE-FTP 3.0)
Website Builder
2 Blogs
Photo Gallery
Ready-to-Run CGI Library (counter/guestbook/forum/etc.)
Supports Perl, Python, PHP3, PHP4, PHP5
RSS Feed
2 included domain names (.com/.net/.org/.info)
100 subdomains, 50 external domains

And that would be a small sampling of what I can read off this page >.>

Tapewolf

Heh.  This is what 1&1 are offering me as top-of-the-line.  Spot the difference:

* 10 free .co.uk domains
* 12 GB web space
* 3,000 1GB POP3/IMAP accounts
* 120 GB monthly traffic

for £20/month (+VAT = £23.49)
(which is roughly $43/month)

Their 'home' service is:

* 1 free .co.uk domain
* 1 GB web space
* 350 1GB POP3/IMAP accounts
* 15 GB monthly traffic

for £4.99 (£5.86) a month, or roughly $10.

Assuming it doesn't redirect you to the US site to try and conceal the scam, you'll find them here

This is starting to drift from Gabriel's original question, mind :P

Aridas

Ew. The UK is full of yuck and evil. This one seems to have services that the "ordinary" 1&1 site doesn't seem to offer, though. As well as one extra plan. Sources of pure, high-yield interwebs must be running dry up there. As for those questions...

1. Update as often as you like. Try to predict how often you'd be able to update and still stay on schedule, and give the prediction a bit of extra space so you don't overestimate your production and update ability. Content management systems would help save basic maintenance time, especially if you can make it schedule future updates, backdating or whatever. Words escape me. Bleah.

2. The amount of people visiting really shouldn't matter, unless it's a really scummy service provider that you should avoid forever. That is, unless the volume of people put you so far past your bandwidth limits that you go bankrupt and can't pay your bills.

3. No idea. You'd have to take that up with other people familiar with the rating, or find some examples.

4. Definitely. People do it often when necessary, especially during domain name changes.

5. No idea. Just stay away from mirrors.

Darkmoon

Web ratings are entirely volutary and are based on what YOU think the page should be rated. Long and the short of it.

Tapewolf: Maybe I'm being dense, but... is there some reason why you can't use an American hosting site? I mean, money is money. I doubt they'd care in theory... but as I said, I may be dense on this.

FYI to the thread, I pay 10 bucks for 250 Band on ICVD (similar on CVRPG, I think). I pay the extra bit because I've spent too long trying to find a reliable host company that doesn't go down more often than a prom date.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Darkmoon on October 24, 2006, 10:16:55 AM
Tapewolf: Maybe I'm being dense, but... is there some reason why you can't use an American hosting site? I mean, money is money. I doubt they'd care in theory... but as I said, I may be dense on this.

When I finally switched to paid hosting four years ago, I didn't have a credit card.  Very few US companies will accept Switch or Maestro.  I'm not entirely sure how the sales tax works either.  (Transatlantic audio mastering for non-business purposes is tax-exempt but it took me a month to establish that)

Since KDA have been very reliable service-wise, there's been little incentive for me to change.  The option of phoning them up or physically going to their premises is also a plus.  That said, if my site grows much more, it's something I may consider.

QuoteFYI to the thread, I pay 10 bucks for 250 Band on ICVD (similar on CVRPG, I think). I pay the extra bit because I've spent too long trying to find a reliable host company that doesn't go down more often than a prom date.

Quite.

TheGreyRonin

P.S.  I've always wanted to know what the 'z' in laser stands for  >:3

[analretentive mode] There is no z in laser. It was originally an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

...Or so I was taught in school... [/analretentive mode]

Tapewolf

Quote from: TheGreyRonin on October 24, 2006, 04:21:40 PM
There is no z in laser. It was originally an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

...Or so I was taught in school...

Oh dear, was I being too subtle again? >:]

TheGreyRonin

More likely I was being too dense. *grins*

Then again, I was in anal retentive mode.... *chuckles*