Storyline Seems Bogged Down

Started by CelesteShamrock, November 06, 2018, 07:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CelesteShamrock

I have always enjoyed DMFA and find many of the characters enjoyable but the last several installments gives me the impression the story is in a holding pattern.  From Piflac's party to the current dialogue between two second-tier characters, the progression seems incremental.  The plot right now seems fixated on the dragon's attack on the cubi in the graveyard and its aftermath.  Will it be breaking away from this soon and being more brisk with its pace?

FairWage22

I've been following the story for a few years now.

It doesn't seem like it is so much bogging down as 'fleshing out'.   

None of the items exhibited thus far could be considered 'fluff', imo?

Also, I would much rather see a casual stroll than an Evangelion-style race to the finish line?
For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.

Tapewolf

Important things which have happened since Abel was incapacitated:
*Hizell has sent Pyroduck an ultimatum
*Pip has pointed out that Mab's plan looks like it's going to fail
*It was revealed that Regina's evil past is more accident than malice
*Regina is being gently steered away from further evil and may become allied to Piflak's clan
*Quoar attempted to meet with Abel at the party but failed
*Quoar has brought Abel to the direct attention of Piflak
*Biggs is currently doing the vitally important work of Persuading-Jyrras-to-stop-moping-and-build-The-Weapon

It is also worth keeping in mind that you a comic like this has two ways of reading it:  As it unfolds, or via an archive binge (or print edition).  What works for an archive binge looks slow and dull as you watch it unfolding, and an archive trawl or printed book will seem weird and contrived if you have a massive plot twist every three pages.
When DMFA reaches its conclusion, the archive trawl will become the only way to read it, so for my money, that would be the better option for posterity.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

keybounce

Additionally, plot twists every 2 or three pages leaves you with the Erf-world feeling ... this is far more satisfying.

Cassi-kun

It's also quite common for DMFA to swing back and forth between two plotlines running concurrently.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Kazy

I did an archive binge a month or two back, and one thing really struck out to me: It's only been like 2 weeks in-comic since Dan left for the academy, which was like nearly 10 years ago now.

Tuyu

Seven years, not ten. (August 15, 2011)

And I haven't been bored.

For comparison, there's Freefall, which started April 4, 1998, and has just recently started its 30th in-comic day.

Kazy

7 is nearly 10! :p

I haven't been either, but it just makes me miss the days when it updated 3 days a week instead of just two.

keybounce

Only 2 weeks?

I would have thought a full season, maybe half a year had gone by since the school days.