2018-06-25 [DMFA#1847] - What's in it for you?

Started by Tapewolf, June 25, 2018, 04:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

This should be interesting.  It might even set Regina on a path to becoming more socially acceptable in a mixed Being-Creature society.  Assuming Biggs doesn't nail her first, of course.
I like that it's expected for your CV/Resume to contain a body-count.  I had wondered about that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Nightmask

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 25, 2018, 04:49:07 AM
This should be interesting.  It might even set Regina on a path to becoming more socially acceptable in a mixed Being-Creature society.  Assuming Biggs doesn't nail her first, of course.
I like that it's expected for your CV/Resume to contain a body-count.  I had wondered about that.

Well if I remember correctly Biggs is kind of waiting on Wildy to decide whether or not to pull that trigger, as Wildy wanted to be sure it was morally acceptable and that Regina did in fact deserve to die and asked him to wait until she was sure about things.

I do love the way we see the Armor Piercing Question trope come into play at least,  going to hate the wait to see what the response is.  Perhaps Regina will end up like her cousin and accept that 'killing and eating people is wrong' and swear it off, even if just for pragmatic reasons.  This also makes a good follow-up to Dark Pegasus confronting her in a way about this particular issue as well, regarding the value of rampages including how counter-productive they can be.

FairWage22

Those eyes on Regina's boss. 

Something about those eyes.

It's probably nothing.
For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.

Hariman

Quote from: Wageslave94 on June 25, 2018, 01:34:03 PM

Those eyes on Regina's boss. 

Something about those eyes.

It's probably nothing.

They're the eyes of someone choosing whether or not Regina will still be an employee in the long term.

They're eyes that have bigger concerns than a demon girl's obsession about living up to a terrible standard of self worth, because having a long term employee with a future date of when she'll go on her next killing spree is very bad for her conscience and her business.

Armor piercing question indeed.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Famout

Huh, so I feel a bit dumb at the moment, but I had entirely forgotten that Cubi have a passive empath ability going on constantly (unless shut off of course.) I wonder if that was being used during story time? At a time like this it would be a great way to tell apart demon bravado from true feelings.
It feels odd not having a fuzzy avatar picture around here....

Techcubi

Let me guess, it's either truth serum, or a truth serum placebo.

Eidolon

It is interesting that for demons, at least, one's body-count is fairly public knowledge. If the "record" Viv refers to is something anyone can easily access (i.e. part of some public archive), that would surely help to perpetuate the whole rampaging thing (because if a demon falls behind their peers, other demons might see it as weakness and potentially target said demon as a potential addition to their total body-count).

Maybe Regina will be a touch more amenable to a "Hey, creatures can live among beings in relative peace and harmony, and it really helps if you don't wantonly murder said beings for no good reason" type of conversation if it's coming from her cubi boss, rather than someone she'd just met earlier that day (who is a someone she suspects of seeing her as a romantic conquest, to boot).

Not that Viv is necessarily of the "don't kill beings ever" persuasion (or even the "a being's life is just as precious as a creature's" persuasion; she did seem pretty nonchalant after Regina confessed to killing an innocent being through carelessness), but at the very least Viv definitely seems a lot less murdery than some creatures--Viv just isn't the killing-for-killing's sake type at all. (Unlike Kria, who's been another big influence in Regina's life.)

There's also the fact that cubi as a species don't have the whole mass-murder-as-rite-of-passage-and-proof-of-being-worthy-of-existence sort of thing. (Though it's possible some individual clans have had demon-ish ideals, Piflak's surely isn't one of them.) Viv mentioned liking demons for their enthusiasm, but I doubt she's fond of the tradition of rampaging, and, well,

Quote from: Hariman on June 25, 2018, 04:11:16 PM
having a long term employee with a future date of when she'll go on her next killing spree is very bad for her conscience and her business.

^That.

Tuyu

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 25, 2018, 04:49:07 AM
It's been played for laughs before, but that does seem to be the way status in demon society works.

Genesis

Hmmmm. Something about this lady(who's name I've forgotten) is triggering my "more than she seems" senses.
Also did she just materialize a goblet out of thin air? That seems reality bending even by cubi standards.
"I will finish the painting. Of a cold, dark, and very gentle place. So that it might make a home for someone, someday" - The Painter

Tapewolf

Quote from: Genesis on June 26, 2018, 08:08:17 AM
Hmmmm. Something about this lady(who's name I've forgotten) is triggering my "more than she seems" senses.

Viv Piflak.  As a Piflak, whatever she does she's supposed to excel at it, so that wouldn't be too surprising.

Though as others have said, Regina is not going to be an asset to the company if she commits an atrocity.  If she winds up imprisoned or executed she's not going to be writing any articles for the magazine, or editing it, or whatever rank she may have risen to by then.  And it would not be good PR for the publication.  It may be that she's looking intently like that because she's trying to divert Regina her away from that path and into something more productive for them both.  the next page should be interesting.

Also did she just materialize a goblet out of thin air? That seems reality bending even by cubi standards.

Funnily enough, the Katbox version has the following note:  "The ability to summon wine goblets is a trademark Piflak clan spell."  Likewise, Taun grants the power to swap armour and weapons, which is what the purple fuzz Illiath sometimes does is all about.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Genesis

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 26, 2018, 08:56:56 AM
Funnily enough, the Katbox version has the following note:  "The ability to summon wine goblets is a trademark Piflak clan spell."  Likewise, Taun grants the power to swap armour and weapons, which is what the purple fuzz Illiath sometimes does is all about.

Huh. I wonder how one goes about trademarking a spell.
And also if the material of the goblet is set, determined by skill, or random.
"I will finish the painting. Of a cold, dark, and very gentle place. So that it might make a home for someone, someday" - The Painter

Kazy

Quote from: Genesis on June 26, 2018, 09:09:36 AM

Trademark as in their signature spell, not as in the legal trademarking.

While Regina seems not to mind killing, it doesn't seem like a particular interest of hers.

Cassi-kun

Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Cassi-kun on June 27, 2018, 12:58:53 PM
Regina just wants to be popular.

Elphie? Now that we're friends, I've decided to make you my new project.
    ... You really don't have to do that.
I know. That's what makes me so nice.

;-]

(Unless you prefer Mika, of course.)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tuyu

Quote from: Genesis on June 26, 2018, 09:09:36 AM

If there's any variation, it's probably determined by the desired contents. The goblet looks like it might be gold, which would be good for most things, but you might want something transparent to show off the contents.

As to what contents can be summoned...??? How far can you twist the definition of "wine"?