2018-05-29 [DMFA#1841] - The long awaited unexpected

Started by Shakal, May 29, 2018, 04:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakal

Well, we finally now have the context for http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_388.php. And while there was some previous talk of the amount of blood, looks like it was a gash across the arm. Not likely to be fatal except by infection (you'd have a LOT more pooling from him if it were that bad). So while she did take the first swing (and is probably going to fight her way out of the house, killing Wildy's mom in the process), she didn't go for the kill right away at least.

CamKitty

Yes, Regina, you did say something stupid, but it at least matched the stupidity of your actions

MT Hazard

I wonder if Regina just jeopardized  her job prospects? I'm guessing they want someone passionate but, not with a hair trigger tempter or quick to resort to violence.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Gabi

I like how Amber dug up to find the exact words Regina had said back then. It's interesting to see that in context, it looks completely different from what it seemed before.
Has it really been 14 years?

I'd always wondered how that scene had played out... while at the same time I was afraid to find out.
In any case, it was nothing like what I imagined. I also like how different Dan's and Regina's perspectives are, even when the facts they tell are the same (it's much better donw than those cartoons where each character tells a completely different story).
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

keybounce

Looking over the old comic, and comparing the art style with the new art style, I basically noticed the following differences:

1. The hair around the eye used to be see-through, and now is not.
2. The wing shape is different.

That's pretty much it. Why would Amber think that the old art style was bad looking back at it now?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: keybounce on May 29, 2018, 02:03:38 PM
That's pretty much it. Why would Amber think that the old art style was bad looking back at it now?

Now, where was that QFTR... Oh, here we are. ;-]

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Shakal

I also note that compared to what we had back in comic 388, there's a lot less blood on Regina's claws. Probably just a slight style change over the years, but if we stretched it might also show some difference from how Dan REMEMBERS this happening "Oh my god, so much blood, she was killing me!" to how he's telling the story "She cut me bad and I went down."

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Shakal on May 29, 2018, 03:58:28 PM
I also note that compared to what we had back in comic 388, there's a lot less blood on Regina's claws. Probably just a slight style change over the years, but if we stretched it might also show some difference from how Dan REMEMBERS this happening "Oh my god, so much blood, she was killing me!" to how he's telling the story "She cut me bad and I went down."

388 was his nightmares, I thought, not the actual happening. There's room for some licence to stretch the imagery to make a point, there.

Ixal

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 29, 2018, 12:13:42 PM
I wonder if Regina just jeopardized  her job prospects? I'm guessing they want someone passionate but, not with a hair trigger tempter or quick to resort to violence.

Maybe, but when you hire a demon who are known to go on a rampange and slaughter beings as a coming of age ceremony thing you kinda had to expect something like this.

Tuyu

Lying Foo

...um.

Okay, so now we've seen the all-but-expected retcon of the "blood-soaked yandere" panel, but what about the part where she supposedly kills a dozen beings, including one she seems to remember quite fondly?  Because it kinda seems like she's about to walk out.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Shakal

Quote from: Lying Foo on May 30, 2018, 02:41:27 AM
...um.

Okay, so now we've seen the all-but-expected retcon of the "blood-soaked yandere" panel, but what about the part where she supposedly kills a dozen beings, including one she seems to remember quite fondly?  Because it kinda seems like she's about to walk out.

Well, she's in a house of ferrets, who are likely about to come back to see what all the yelling is about, see Dan bleeding on the ground apparently attacked, and things will escalate once again. After Wildy's mom (remembers quite fondly), there'll be the adventuring party patrolling the streets...

The One Guy

Quote from: keybounce on May 29, 2018, 02:03:38 PM
Looking over the old comic, and comparing the art style with the new art style, I basically noticed the following differences:

1. The hair around the eye used to be see-through, and now is not.
2. The wing shape is different.

Well, here's a side by side comparison:

I'm seeing a lot more different than just the hair over the eyes and wings.

joshofspam

Well it certainly explains the context of the memory of what Dan had of remembering Regina.

Still think that is a lot of blood though. This has all happened over a couple of seconds. It might not be life threatening, but take it from a person that has cut of the tip of their finger and cut down to the bone of the inner knuckle of their index finger with a dog food can lit, that is not an insignificant amount of blood for the time that has passed.

But it does seem like what Dan remembers about what Regina says does live up to what Regina thought and what most Beings in the Adventuring that we've scene think about creatures overall.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

killpurakat

Quote from: Ixal on May 29, 2018, 06:33:29 PM
Quote from: MT Hazard on May 29, 2018, 12:13:42 PM

Maybe, but when you hire a demon who are known to go on a rampange and slaughter beings as a coming of age ceremony thing you kinda had to expect something like this.

Well, all the panels we see are green and thus from Dan's perspective. Regina is admitting in the very last panel that she has no clue what she said, so her story to her boss is along the lines of, "When he went to touch me, I slashed back to get my point across, and... well, I said something I hope was cool, but probably wasn't. At any rate..." Doubt her boss is going to hear that and think, "Wow, she's unstable, better reconsider hiring her." The limited perspective means unless her boss goes to check the story from Dan (or Piflak, when Piflak gets all the sides collected, as she is likely to do), she has no reason to think Regina reacted in anything but an appropriate, if somewhat extreme, manner.

Cassi-kun

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_972.php

Her death toll was 12+ and apparently more dramatic than the events being shown right now, so my assumption is that Dan tried to make up with her after this, and then she went full-on murder mode. Since at the time it was only Wildy, Biggs, and their mother at the house.

Regina also identified Dan as "that adventurer's son" so I assume we're going to see Edward at some point in this flashback as well. I'm curious what he's like, since we've only seen two short clips that I can recall (protecting and then marrying Destania, and scaling fish when Dan tries to think up more useful life lessons).
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Alondro

*Charline hmphs*  Demons and dragons, unstable murder machines, all of em!  *grumbles something about 'knew I should have built the camps' and writes a biography titled "Personal Possessive Pronoun Strife" or something along those lines*  We cubi need more breathing room!   >:3

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

GreenBean

I have waited 14 years for the first panel on comic 388 be put into context, and I have to say, things are playing out a lot differently than I had imagined. Going from that panel I assumed Regina had some sort of romantic obsession with Dan and hurt/ killed someone he cared about as a perverse display of affection. It turns out that out they barely knew each other, and this incident turned out, at least in part, to be one big misunderstanding that snowballed into Dan being traumatized and Regina being disowned from her immediate family.

Considering the clothes Dan is wearing in his nightmare in comics 998 and 999, it's possible that this isn't the only time they fought, and that Regina's actions might have been a bit more deliberate and malicious the next time they met.

To me Regina doesn't seem like a bad person at her core, but she does have a very myopic view of the world and an awfully skewed morals compass. Ultimately, I think I'm going to side with Dan, but considering her upbringing, I can see where Regina is coming from.
Also, I know the characters will probably never meet but I ship Mink and Regina.

Shadow_B_Panther

Quote from: Cassi-kun on May 31, 2018, 01:08:58 PM
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_972.php

Her death toll was 12+ and apparently more dramatic than the events being shown right now, so my assumption is that Dan tried to make up with her after this, and then she went full-on murder mode. Since at the time it was only Wildy, Biggs, and their mother at the house.

Regina also identified Dan as "that adventurer's son" so I assume we're going to see Edward at some point in this flashback as well. I'm curious what he's like, since we've only seen two short clips that I can recall (protecting and then marrying Destania, and scaling fish when Dan tries to think up more useful life lessons).

Funny thing is that after what was described about the game being multi-player and multi-endings, I wouldn't be surprised if she betrayed his trust of working with him for the ending he wanted and killed the beings in the game. More so since she said she tried to kill him after betraying his trust and this is likely, but not definitely, where she tried to kill him.

As for her calling him that adventurer's son, she could have forgotten his name or he actually forgot to tell her when they met. Though the latter would be more odd, while the former is more likely given her personality and how demons deal with people coming for revenge http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_287.php.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: GreenBean on May 31, 2018, 10:08:07 PM
Also, I know the characters will probably never meet but I ship Mink and Regina.

Mink.

And Regina.

You're very odd, you know that? Not a bad thing, we all need to be different to make the world go round, but still...

;-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cassi-kun on May 31, 2018, 01:08:58 PM

I wonder this too.  Given that she can kill and/or eat people, what she's done so far amounts to a warning nip from an animal that doesn't like what you're doing to it.  It's certainly not a vow to destroy him and all he loves.

Regina also identified Dan as "that adventurer's son" so I assume we're going to see Edward at some point in this flashback as well.
Maybe, maybe not.  I think she already knows that much from the information he's provided.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E