2018-03-26 [DMFA# 1829] Party pooper

Started by Tapewolf, March 26, 2018, 07:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Well, well.  So it was all about Abel.  Poor Piflak, she looks rather crushed in panel 2.

I have to wonder how Abel would have reacted if he had been able to make it.  Being invited to a party by Quoar himself is likely to be a high honour indeed - a bit like being invited to church by Jesus.  Aary is at risk of dying from jealousy if she finds out about that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dard

Ohhh, whatever Hizell may have done in the past: Now things are going to get personal for Piflak!
She would destroy everyone that comes between her and Quoar and it seems Hizell is what comes between them!

BTW I don't remember: Does Dan know what happened to Abel?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dard on March 26, 2018, 07:50:15 AM
Ohhh, whatever Hizell may have done in the past: Now things are going to get personal for Piflak!
She would destroy everyone that comes between her and Quoar and it seems Hizell is what comes between them!
BTW I don't remember: Does Dan know what happened to Abel?

If Abel had made it, he'd have come between them, technically.  I suppose Hizell saved her the trouble...

As far as we know Dan has not yet been informed about Abel's maiming.

Dard

Quoar intends to leave early because Abel isn't there.
Hizell is responsible for Quoar leaving early!
Unacceptable!

e_voyager

vengeance must be had for the part hunks early departure.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

llearch n'n'daCorna

Dahling! You have been missed!

That's just so much awesome, and so many dangling story hooks... and what a cliffhanger to leave us on! So many! Such props!
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Shakal

Well, there are most of my questions from last comic answered. Definitely was Quoar that at Lost Lake in disguise, apparently Hizell just didn't notice him/the disguise worked that well. And while his location may be secret he must have some dusty mailbox somewhere he'll check now and then for Warp-Aci, including in this case a second one he was able to reassign to Abel as his plus one.

Wonder what he plans to do now though. Hizell is going to be watching Abel's hospital room intently for Destania to show up (it is a baited trap for her, after all), so if Quoar went there to meet Abel things might get VERY interesting.

Shakal

Actually, given that Hizell has a known spy at the party, if word of qhat Quoar just said actually manages to get back ti Hizell, things might actually get even worse for Abel. Last remaining heir of Siar AND Quoar's plus one? He's going to be laser focused on Abel and nothing else until one of his quarries steps into the trap.

Though I suppose that intense of a focus WOULD keep him from peeking into a certain kangaroo rat's lab...

Akktari

I just noticed.

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1472.php

This post, the first one about the party that Piflak is throwing...is 4 years old. WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR FOUR YEARS. While comic time it's been..."A couple of weeks".

What's another 2 weeks for an update? hahahahaha :mowdizzy
Memory like Dory.

Form_Goblin

As somber as this scene is, I feel respect for Quoar.  At a select party where he would be regaled as a VIP among VIP guests, and what do they do first?  Notice something happened to Abel, and immediately express their concern.  Given that they're not staying long, I'm guessing they might go to the hospital?

Shakal

Quote from: Akktari on March 26, 2018, 07:55:27 PM
I just noticed.

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1472.php

This post, the first one about the party that Piflak is throwing...is 4 years old. WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR FOUR YEARS. While comic time it's been..."A couple of weeks".

What's another 2 weeks for an update? hahahahaha :mowdizzy

There's another takeaway here. Not sure how long Dan was at SAIA before the clan meeting (time enough for the fashion show, at the very least), but if it's been 'a couple weeks' since then... Dan's headed back to Lost Lake soon.

Things are likely going to start becoming VERY interesting VERY quickly.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Strebenherz on March 26, 2018, 10:00:31 PM
As somber as this scene is, I feel respect for Quoar.  At a select party where he would be regaled as a VIP among VIP guests, and what do they do first?  Notice something happened to Abel, and immediately express their concern.  Given that they're not staying long, I'm guessing they might go to the hospital?

Not necessarily.  By all accounts Hizell never leaves 'Cubi alive, so Abel's survival means it must be a trap even if they're not sure who the trap is for.
Quoar is the oldest living clan leader, and survived the dragon war which most leaders didn't.  I don't think he managed that by antagonising Hizell and his friends, even if he did kill Hizell's significant other.  He's so cagey that most people think he's dead or a myth, or don't know about him at all.

Entering Lost Lake Inn was risky, even if he has a way to detect or nullify scrying spells like Cyra can, but it was a one-shot visit.  Unless Hizell was actually waiting for him there, there's little risk since he's unlikely to be returning.  With the hospital, it seems more likely that he'd send some kind of agent, since most factions in Furrae seem to have their own networks of spies.

Form_Goblin

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 27, 2018, 04:31:15 AM
Quote from: Strebenherz on March 26, 2018, 10:00:31 PM

Not necessarily.  By all accounts Hizell never leaves 'Cubi alive, so Abel's survival means it must be a trap even if they're not sure who the trap is for.
Quoar is the oldest living clan leader, and survived the dragon war which most leaders didn't.  I don't think he managed that by antagonising Hizell and his friends, even if he did kill Hizell's significant other.  He's so cagey that most people think he's dead or a myth, or don't know about him at all.

Entering Lost Lake Inn was risky, even if he has a way to detect or nullify scrying spells like Cyra can, but it was a one-shot visit.  Unless Hizell was actually waiting for him there, there's little risk since he's unlikely to be returning.  With the hospital, it seems more likely that he'd send some kind of agent, since most factions in Furrae seem to have their own networks of spies.

Fair enough.  You don't get to be the oldest AND a survivor of a war that nearly killed your entire species by bouncing into traps.
...  Wait, Quoar killed Hizell's significant other?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Strebenherz on March 27, 2018, 06:05:15 AM
...  Wait, Quoar killed Hizell's significant other?

Apparently he killed Pyroduck's mother, yes.  That's an awkward one for citations because it was part of a rapid-fire QFR page which has since been removed which I couldn't find (Thanks, Neo!).

neo

Genesis

Quote from: neo on March 27, 2018, 08:50:10 AM
Found it!  http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_QFR3.jpg

I'm confused, how do you decapitate someone, five times, in a single strike. Unless she had 5 heads, but that would just raise even more questions.
"I will finish the painting. Of a cold, dark, and very gentle place. So that it might make a home for someone, someday" - The Painter

Tapewolf

Quote from: Genesis on March 27, 2018, 10:51:24 AM
I'm confused, how do you decapitate someone, five times, in a single strike. Unless she had 5 heads, but that would just raise even more questions.

There was a bit of an argument over that wording.  Apparently the answer was that she had a very long neck which was cut in five places.

Kazy

Is Quoar's hat shapeshifted? Must be annoying to get little headwings through holes.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Kazy on March 27, 2018, 07:30:00 PM
Is Quoar's hat shapeshifted? Must be annoying to get little headwings through holes.

I'm sure he can shapeshift the headwings to fit through the holes. That's probably easier, right?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

The One Guy

Quote from: Shakal on March 26, 2018, 04:35:52 PM
Actually, given that Hizell has a known spy at the party, if word of qhat Quoar just said actually manages to get back ti Hizell, things might actually get even worse for Abel. Last remaining heir of Siar AND Quoar's plus one? He's going to be laser focused on Abel and nothing else until one of his quarries steps into the trap.

Though I suppose that intense of a focus WOULD keep him from peeking into a certain kangaroo rat's lab...

Quoar never actually stated that his plus one was Abel.  It's implied that's the case, but Hizell's spy doesn't know that.

Shakal

Quote from: The One Guy on March 27, 2018, 11:26:20 PM
Quote from: Shakal on March 26, 2018, 04:35:52 PM

Quoar never actually stated that his plus one was Abel.  It's implied that's the case, but Hizell's spy doesn't know that.

Possible, but I'd expect Hizell to make the connection.

1) The spy reports that Quoar showed up, but left after "something unfortunate" happened to his "Plus One", who was apparently meeting him there.
2) Hizell recalls his brutal maiming of a cubi that while part of Siar's clan, looks like he belongs in Quoar's.
3) At the very least, Hizell would keep the possibility of Abel being Quoar's "Plus One" close in mind.

It's not 100% confirmed, but in intelligence situations nothing ever is.

Lying Foo

"A Cubi named Quoar."

...only another answer refers to Mink's paper, so the reader is expected to know who Quoar is... so...
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Prroul

I gotta wonder here... what is Quoar's angle on this?

I mean... you're talking about one of the oldest surviving tri-wings, dude ripped through any dragons ignorant or arrogant enough to try to face him back in the last 'Cubi war. Clearly has a suspicious nature as well, considering he was the one major clan leader who never sent anyone to SAIA. He's been incognito long enough that he's become a mythical figure of legend to Beings.

So why here, why now, why over Abel? I mean, granted, he probably doesn't want any more people dying to dragons than the next Cubi who has personal memory of the Dragon-Cubi War, but he's breaking cover that has been thousands of years in the making.

Does he have his own plan, with Abel as a cat's paw? Has one of his clan members secretly fallen in love with Abel and petitioned for the rescue (his clan affiliation IS love, after all)? Is this an angle to get at Hizel by causing him to overreach? Has his multi-thousand year plan gotten to the point where he needs to go public once again, and Abel was a handy excuse? Is it to interfere with Destania's plans because they conflict with his own? Is it to help Bigg's plan along because it aligns with his own (because now that Jy-Jy has been presented with 'dragons want to kill my boyfriend', he's suddenly going to be a *LOT* more willing/motivated to work on that anti-dragon rifle)? I just am not seeing why Quoar would really care about Abel, or even anything more than vaguely aware of his existence in the same sort of way that we are aware that the anthill in the backyard has ants in it. 

I mean... come on. Each of the Clan Leaders are pretty big hitters, and each of them have plans within plans within plans, but Quoar takes it to a whole new level. If there is one being you could define as 'the most powerful 'Cubi in existence', Quoar would have to be, if not at the number one spot, at least in the top ten. And he's been incognito for many centuries. What is causing him to break cover now, and why is he dragging Abel into his plans?

Tuyu

Maybe he's simply curious about what Aniz did to give Abel his Quoar-like attributes. (And, cruel twist, he's lost interest now that those attributes have been removed...)

(This being the first significant opportunity for him to meet Abel outside SAIA, that is.)

Genesis

Quote from: Tuyu on April 10, 2018, 12:51:51 AM
Maybe he's simply curious about what Aniz did to give Abel his Quoar-like attributes. (And, cruel twist, he's lost interest now that those attributes have been removed...)

(This being the first significant opportunity for him to meet Abel outside SAIA, that is.)

That's only temporary though isn't it?

The doctor here seems to be saying they'll be back in a(relatively) short time.
"I will finish the painting. Of a cold, dark, and very gentle place. So that it might make a home for someone, someday" - The Painter

Veritas

Quote from: Prroul on April 09, 2018, 10:43:51 PM
I gotta wonder here... what is Quoar's angle on this?<snip>
It seems to be a recurring theme that matters on several fronts are coming to a head. Mab's plans involving the rest of the main cast (especially, it seems, Jyrras), Hizzell's "bold moves," Zezzuva's transfer of leadership (and imminent demise) and warning to prepare for war, (ETA: Fa'lina's lifespan running down and the accompanying loss of SAIA, at least as a sanctuary the cubi race's collective enemies can't get to, ...) even the disappearance of Dan's dad - there are a lot of things making ready to happen soon.

It could be that Quoar's angle is nothing more nor less than that his plans, too, are coming to fruition, and the time is simply ripe for him to end his long silence and demonstrate that, yes, he really is still alive and kicking. This might not be particularly reassuring to anyone in the potential danger zone (although with his clan affinity, he's perhaps less likely than others to really set out to do anything truly nasty, love does come in many forms, and some of them are forged all the faster - both in the "development time" sense and the "hold fast" sense - in times of duress), and after his experience with Destania, Abel has more reason than most to mistrust being caught up in someone else's schemes - but Quoar's appearance at this party might not be because of Abel per se; indeed, the causal relationship could be the other way around - he's (apparently) making plans involving Abel in part because he simply sees less need for secrecy now than he used to.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Genesis on March 27, 2018, 10:51:24 AM

Most Cubi whose wing-tentacles have been shown seem to have five of them, so I'm assuming Quoar did to her neck what Aniz did to Hennya

Quoar may also be making a jab at Piflak's pride, doubly so because it's her affinity
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!