2018-01-26 [DMFA# 1813] Fight, fight, fight

Started by Tapewolf, January 26, 2018, 04:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Hopefully both these people will be able to control themselves for the sake of decorum, even if they hate each other.  But a 'Cubi with barely any training on one hand and a young demon on the other, it could be tough.

Still, I doubt it would be the first punch-up at Piflak's parties, or the last (assuming she survives beyond the end of the comic, of course).  They're probably considered entertainment.
What I wonder is how Abel would have reacted had he been able to make it, since he's been playing mentor to Dan.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Saist

Well.

Dan did promise Aliph that he wouldn't try to kill Regina.  Whether or not Regina KNOWS that Dan and Aliph have come to an agreement is a actually a good question.

We also know that Regina knows she cannot win in a fight against Dan; given that the last time the two met she wound up having to take shelter behind Aliph. So her first reaction should be to bolt like a jackrabbit through the nearest wall.

Dan, being a seasoned adventurer, would in most cases likely be able to control himself. However, we also know Dan is still coming to terms with Cubi's being creatures of emotion. As much as Dan may want to fight it; knocking Regina involuntarily through a wall might come across as a good idea at the time.

Either way... Piflak's gonna need to order some plaster and paint.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Saist on January 26, 2018, 05:37:27 AM
Dan did promise Aliph that he wouldn't try to kill Regina.  Whether or not Regina KNOWS that Dan and Aliph have come to an agreement is a actually a good question.

It would be pretty negligent for DP to not inform Regina that he's negotiated a fragile truce between them.  That said, we don't know if it was restricted to killing her.  Roughing her up a bit might be acceptable.

Maddy

So now we get to see them face of by awkwardly avoiding each other for the rest of the party due to a fragile truce.

Akisohida

Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Tuyu

High-intensity ">!!!!!!!!!!<" but probably no specific flavor of emotion yet.

Dan and Regina probably won't notice, but if they did, having every cubi in the room staring at them would cool them off pretty quickly.

And Piflak could probably get there in 2-5 seconds, depending on whether she excused herself from whoever she was talking to at the moment. The only question, then, would be, "How far will she let this go?" And that would depend on what the initial reactions resolve themselves as.

Prroul

I wouldn't be surprised if Piflak arranged this to happen as a test to see just how unlike his mother Dan really is.

I mean, think about it. We're talking politics at the highest level, with the survival of the species hanging in the balance. Like it or not, Dan's a really valuable piece, depending on how he slots in to the puzzle. Maybe not a powerful player, yet, at least not from the perspective of a Tri-Wing, but a piece with a lot of leverage potential. She wants to see how Dan reacts to meeting a mortal enemy in a neutral situation. Can he keep his temper? Will he be gritting his teeth over it or will he at least try to be polite? I mean, if Des had ran into Abel at a function like this, you know that wouldn't turn out very well. When her entire multi-century plan revolved around NOT blowing her cover and hurting him in Jy's lobby, she could barely contain herself. I don't see her being any less restrained under current circumstances.

In other words, if he's a loose canon, Piflak needs to know about it. And this gives her the perfect opportunity to ascertain it.

But yea, there's this whistling tune and a tumbleweed blowing across in the background.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on January 27, 2018, 10:16:23 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Piflak arranged this to happen as a test to see just how unlike his mother Dan really is.

I would not be at all surprised.   It'll be interesting to see how Piflak reacts to this.  There's several ways should could have found out about Dan and Regina's past antipathy.

Kazy

I really hope this just doesn't turn into violence again. Use your words, Dan!

Akisohida

Quote from: Kazy on January 27, 2018, 07:28:21 PM
I really hope this just doesn't turn into violence again. Use your words, Dan!

'I'll kill you and spread your body parts to the four corners of the world, and leave your soul rent asunder across the multiverse' IS using words! :kruger
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Kazy

Quote from: Akisohida on January 28, 2018, 01:18:17 AM
'I'll kill you and spread your body parts to the four corners of the world, and leave your soul rent asunder across the multiverse' IS using words! :kruger

But they're not narratively satisfying words! :p

Tuyu

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 27, 2018, 10:24:02 AM
Quote from: Prroul on January 27, 2018, 10:16:23 AM

I would not be at all surprised.   It'll be interesting to see how Piflak reacts to this.  There's several ways should could have found out about Dan and Regina's past antipathy.
While Piflak certainly could have arranged it, IIRC, the invitations went out before Regina got hired. So, if so, it would require that Piflak completely arranged for Regina to get the job. Which would not be unbelievable given the circumstances under which she was hired. ("I like purple. You're hired.) Which would really sux for Regina.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tuyu on January 29, 2018, 10:59:19 PM
While Piflak certainly could have arranged it, IIRC, the invitations went out before Regina got hired. So, if so, it would require that Piflak completely arranged for Regina to get the job. Which would not be unbelievable given the circumstances under which she was hired. ("I like purple. You're hired.) Which would really sux for Regina.

Not necessarily.  Piflak is known to have made background checks on Dan, and there will be public records of Regina's crimes.  He's likely made mention at adventuring school that he joined so he could kill Regina.
Likewise, Viv will have made background checks on Regina before hiring her and may have informed Piflak of just who she's bringing, especially given her violent past.  Piflak may also have been hobnobbing with the Soulstealers, being part of the ruling elite of Zinvth which Dan grew up on the outskirts of. Kria is aware of the antipathy between Dan and Regina but hasn't worked out why.

IMHO it might be a stretch to assume that Regina was allowed to be hired for the sole purpose of testing Dan.  But if Piflak knew about Regina and Dan at any time before or during the party, I can easily see her wanting to put them together to see what happens, like she plans to do with the spies.  Even if it's a snap decision.

Kazy

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 30, 2018, 04:30:22 AM
Not necessarily.  Piflak is known to have made background checks on Dan, and there will be public records of Regina's crimes.  He's likely made mention at adventuring school that he joined so he could kill Regina.

Even Kria and Aliph don't know how Dan and Regina met. I'm pretty sure they know she did something terrible, but don't know how Dan's involved. Though that probably doesn't preclude them from using her to test Dan. All they need to know is that they have a grudge, not why they have it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Kazy on January 28, 2018, 08:34:44 AM
Quote from: Akisohida on January 28, 2018, 01:18:17 AM

But they're not narratively satisfying words! :p

Sure they are. Just follow them with "... only not right now." and a satisfied smirk.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears