2017-09-18 [DMFA #1784] - Flower power

Started by Tapewolf, September 18, 2017, 04:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Okay, that confuses things rather.  Obviously Pip has omniscience and knew that putting the flower there would cause Hizell to play things safe, but after that things get very murky.  We don't know what Pip's skin in the game is, especially since he allowed the attack at the inn to continue in hopes that it would get people killed.  Maybe he's chaotic enough that he does things completely on a random whim.

As for Hizell's motivations, that's a little peculiar.  He didn't need a flower to tell him that Destania wanted Abel dead, because he already worked that out from the letter that got him scrying Abel in the first place.  It's not like he's explaining it to his minions and giving them a redacted version either, because he was explaining all that before during the scrying scene.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

katasev

Ohohoho Pip you sly sly critter. Considering that he basically worships Mab as a goddess (I went deep-archive trawling a while back when I was having doubts myself as to Pip's allegiance in whatever game Mab refers to the rules of) I think he wouldn't ever do anything to jeopardize her plans, but he's also not too averse to inflicting misery on others to lash out for the injustice of and frustration with his near-powerless form. After all, when you're immortal and eternal and TRAPPED the pain and suffering and deaths of a few idiot mortals who were only gonna live another half-century at best anyway hardly matters beyond entertainment value.

From Hizell's standpoint, I would assume that while he did indeed know that the letter was from Destania, at that point she could have simply been trying to lead him into a trap with Abel's cooperation. (After all, he DID just get busted for having a scry crystal... or rather, the scry crystal got busted because there's Fae protection on that inn.) As far as Hizell knows, it might have been some kind of Xanatos gambit to get him to attack Abel at the inn so Mab would toast him into brownies or unmake him like she did the minion.

From Hizell's point of view, because the flower (the very special Cyran flower) was left on May's grave, and we all know that it was Abel's father's fault (and hence Clan Siar's fault and thus Abel's also by genetic proxy) that she died, it would be a reasonable assumption on his part that this wasn't, then, just a botched gambit to get him to die in a Fae trap (because he oh-so-cleverly waited and attacked Abel off-property) but rather a possible ALSO attempt to get him to kill someone that she hates for realsies. And he's just toooo smart to fall for that and do her dirty work, yes sir.

Well, that's my read on it anyway!

PhycoKrusk

Cassi-kun

My guess is that Hizell thought Dee was trying to earn some sort  of favor from him, and walked away when he realized that he would be the one doing a favor for her.

It also furthers my theory that keeping Abel alive is a significant factor in Mab and Pip's game. My assumption is it specifically regards Jyrras developing weapons.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Titanium Dragon

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 18, 2017, 04:26:53 AM
Okay, that confuses things rather.  Obviously Pip has omniscience and knew that putting the flower there would cause Hizell to play things safe, but after that things get very murky.  We don't know what Pip's skin in the game is, especially since he allowed the attack at the inn to continue in hopes that it would get people killed.  Maybe he's chaotic enough that he does things completely on a random whim.

Was that really what he was trying to do? Mab accused him of doing so, but Pip never confirmed it (or, indeed, who exactly he might have been trying to kill off - after all, preventing outside interference almost resulted in Jyras killing one of the adventurers, and it is possible his intent was to force Jyras to kill someone). Pip may have some plans of his own that Mab is unaware of or disapproves of, or is otherwise manipulating the situation in his own favor. Or Pip might have come to like Abel, or feel sorry for him/feel like he owes him a debt for some reason, or doesn't like that Abel got sucked into this nonsense.

Quote from: katasev on September 18, 2017, 08:01:07 AMFrom Hizell's standpoint, I would assume that while he did indeed know that the letter was from Destania, at that point she could have simply been trying to lead him into a trap with Abel's cooperation. (After all, he DID just get busted for having a scry crystal... or rather, the scry crystal got busted because there's Fae protection on that inn.) As far as Hizell knows, it might have been some kind of Xanatos gambit to get him to attack Abel at the inn so Mab would toast him into brownies or unmake him like she did the minion.

Entirely plausible. And to be fair, from his perspective, something Destania might do.

Rafe

I hadn't mentioned it, but in the pages detailing Mab and Pyroduck's conversation, Pip seemed unusually calm and non-confrontational.  I assumed he had some kind of sympathy for Pyroduck, or at least doesn't feel the need to attack him randomly the way he does certain other characters.  Maybe he's more involved than we yet know.

That said, this page left me with one major impression - that Amber should create a line of My Little Minion-Taur characters with cute button eyes and fluffy tails.

Not that I'm a brony or anything.
Rafe

Tuyu

So, where do we send the donations for Amber's spinal therapy?  :mowhappy

I always thought Pip's goal was simply to prove Mab wrong about whatever, not to foil her plans necessarily.  Thinking in terms of what would've happened if he hadn't stolen the flower and the phone, causing Hizell to pause and coup Abel rather than killing him, tipping Zinvth...maybe without his actions Hizell could have actually gone in and done the deed with no witnesses (having time to take care of Jyrras and Wildy before leaving)?  Other than that, at the moment I got nothing.

Extremely Late Realization Dept.:  Abel wore a hat to the club.

Rafe

Being a draik, Pip is connected to the dragon universe - exactly how, and exactly what his backstory hasn't been explained yet. Maybe we'll get some details as part of this story. I'd bet Amber has such things already well established in minute detail already.

Also, I'm not sure just what the significance of it is yet, but seeing Pip speak, and seeing his speech appear, unlike any other character, in yellow on a black background, is somehow very chilling.
Rafe

Tapewolf

Quote from: Rafe on September 24, 2017, 11:18:02 PM
Being a draik, Pip is connected to the dragon universe - exactly how, and exactly what his backstory hasn't been explained yet. Maybe we'll get some details as part of this story. I'd bet Amber has such things already well established in minute detail already.

Most likely.  What's been implied so far is that Pip is a multiversal dragon who's been transformed into a drake by his goddess as a punishment.  However that hasn't been stated outright.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E