2017-02-27 [DMFA #1734] No Dragons, No Problem.

Started by ChaosMageX, February 27, 2017, 05:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

A very interesting little tidbit that Mab just let slip there.  Does she mean Pyroduck's world in the future?  Since she lives on a nonlinear timeline, maybe she's getting the past and future mixed up.

I'd try to analyze it further, but my brain is pretty much mush at this hour.  Maybe someday I'll be able to fix my sleep schedule.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

That is a very odd statement from Mab.  As Chaosmage says, I do wonder if she's having a nonlinear moment.
Or is this a subtle warning that Pyroduck needs to leave their universe ASAP?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jasae Bushae

Interesting...I remember an offhand comment by Amber a bit back about how only one dragon in this universe is actually non native. Given dragons are supposed to be ridiculously long lived, im wondering if the oldest dragons in this universe are basically considered children and if dragons actually reach a certain point where they actually can rival the reality warping fae after billions of years.

Nothing the dragons we have seen have seen so far looks even close to the feats that the Fae have shown off.
Existing in multiple planes of existence.
instantaneously moving through time and space.
References to being able to essentially time travel.
Having the power to create places like SAIA which every dragon put together could not find, much less penetrate.
Are essentially immortal and only seem capable of 'dying' at their own hands.
Are so powerful that they limit their omniessence so that interacting in this universe isn't boring and ruined by knowing everything that can and will happen
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on February 27, 2017, 06:19:16 AM
Interesting...I remember an offhand comment by Amber a bit back about how only one dragon in this universe is actually non native. Given dragons are supposed to be ridiculously long lived, im wondering if the oldest dragons in this universe are basically considered children and if dragons actually reach a certain point where they actually can rival the reality warping fae after billions of years.

I was wondering something similar - whether Mab might be talking specifically about the uber-powerful ones...

Sid

I'm not as much in the loop in terms of DMFA lore and backstory as I was years ago, so I genuinely wonder what the odds are that Mab - without her expanded knowledge and awareness she "enjoys" in the Fae realm - simply doesn't know that dragons are still a thing or that she's literally talking to one.

Also, Pyroduck's expression in the last panel is amazing, no matter what.
:boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on February 27, 2017, 10:36:27 AM
I'm not as much in the loop in terms of DMFA lore and backstory as I was years ago, so I genuinely wonder what the odds are that Mab - without her expanded knowledge and awareness she "enjoys" in the Fae realm - simply doesn't know that dragons are still a thing or that she's literally talking to one.

She must know.  Fa'Lina didn't chain herself in a dungeon, as far as we can tell... I'm fairly sure Mab was the one who helped create SAIA.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2017, 10:39:07 AM
Quote from: Sid on February 27, 2017, 10:36:27 AM

She must know.  Fa'Lina didn't chain herself in a dungeon, as far as we can tell... I'm fairly sure Mab was the one who helped create SAIA.
However it seems that Mab's relationship with Fa'Lina is also non-linear. IIRC, that's the comic that first made me consider that Fae aren't constrained by time, which I feel is pretty much confirmed not only by Mab having an adult daughter, but the conversation with her about friends dying. In my opinion we do encounter a non-linear Mab in the comic, which would account for things like shifts in behavior and even not knowing/remembering there are dragons.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2017, 06:23:04 AM

I was wondering something similar - whether Mab might be talking specifically about the uber-powerful ones...

I had a theory for awhile that there were another type of inter reality dragon out there with the power to rival fae. We also saw in the fight with Kria that there are tactics for decreasing and negating the power of others. Maybe the raw power of the fae can be disrupted and other inter reality beings are capable of manipulating it to a degree where they are weak enough to be challenged. Like dragons are the class in a game that debuff people so hard they have trouble fighting back and maybe fae are weak to this when you learn how they work.

I also have a theory that different realities allow fae a different level of power. Like in this world they could blow up continents but in another world they're just slightly more magical than other entities. I thought about that when we saw Mab's daughter fade into another world and she looked like an ordinary person. What if dragons can take advantage of this and simulate what it would be like to be in a world where their power is lesser? What if theres a dragon in furrae that can challenge Mab legitimately  :<
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Akisohida

Plot twis-AUGH! MY BACK!

...Anyone know a chiropractor that's not afraid of spiders? x.x
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Jasonrevall on February 27, 2017, 04:42:38 PM
I also have a theory that different realities allow fae a different level of power. Like in this world they could blow up continents but in another world they're just slightly more magical than other entities. I thought about that when we saw Mab's daughter fade into another world and she looked like an ordinary person. What if dragons can take advantage of this and simulate what it would be like to be in a world where their power is lesser? What if theres a dragon in furrae that can challenge Mab legitimately  :<

I think that What's-Her-Name (Mab's daughter) was just pretending to be human in that world.

Kibin

But dragons can be nice and fae-friends :(

*roots more for Pyroduck, totally not biased in fae vs. dragon*

Tuyu

I had a theory for awhile that there were another type of inter reality dragon out there with the power to rival fae. We also saw in the fight with Kria that there are tactics for decreasing and negating the power of others. Maybe the raw power of the fae can be disrupted and other inter reality beings are capable of manipulating it to a degree where they are weak enough to be challenged. Like dragons are the class in a game that debuff people so hard they have trouble fighting back and maybe fae are weak to this when you learn how they work.

Until Amber reveals otherwise, I' gonna 'ssume that Mab considers Pyroduck "a sorta dragonish type being native to this little world of Furrae and not at all like real dragons."  Just don't let Hizell find out.

And for some reason, the thread title reminded me of the palindrome, "No garden, one dragon."

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2017, 05:50:20 AM
That is a very odd statement from Mab.  As Chaosmage says, I do wonder if she's having a nonlinear moment.
Or is this a subtle warning that Pyroduck needs to leave their universe ASAP?
Or Mab might not even think Ducky as a dragon.

All the things we've been learning about dragons has got me to thinking if dragons even think of the dragons here as dragons. If Ducky's dad was so quick to turn his son away unless he killed a boatload of cubi, then what does that say about other dragons like Hitzil? Are there other dragons that are turned away by their parents because they don't live up to expectations?

If that were the case, the warning might be giving him a hint there's a difference between him and what she actually considers a dragon. And those dragons wouldn't even consider him a speed bump as they roll over him.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Tuyu on February 28, 2017, 01:13:58 AM

Until Amber reveals otherwise, I' gonna 'ssume that Mab considers Pyroduck "a sorta dragonish type being native to this little world of Furrae and not at all like real dragons."  Just don't let Hizell find out.

And for some reason, the thread title reminded me of the palindrome, "No garden, one dragon."
Well I did say "another type of inter reality dragon out there" :P

Or maybe its similar to butterflies and caterpillars. They're the same creature, but when someone says butterfly they expect a specific thing and most if not all people dont immediately think of their caterpillar form and vice versa. It's possible that the dragons in furrae could potentially be a larval form of the more dangerous dragons Mab thinks of when she thinks of the dangerous dragons. Maybe they're like orks and just pop up all over in other realities and grow until they become a warboss and then become super dangerous. Sorry for the random analogy I just love orks.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Tuyu

Nota bene:  Looks like the Katbox site is next on the hit parade.  I just received an RSS refresh of the posts for 1712-1721 (which I think was the last comic posted before the site was taken down).  Looks like the entire archive's there, and Amber's comments.  No theme yet, though.

e_voyager

maybe she just views ducky as a little kid and not a real dragon.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Cassi-kun

Quote from: CubiKitsune on February 27, 2017, 06:22:59 PM
I think that What's-Her-Name (Mab's daughter) was just pretending to be human in that world.
It seems the other way around, actually. She states that her human appearance is because she didn't want to change, meaning it's likely that the other Fae are the ones "pretending."

Or possibly they all are, and she personally just prefers human over animal.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!