2016/11/18 [DMFA #1711] - WAR

Started by Merlin, November 18, 2016, 04:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

NNF
GOOD GOD Y'ALL

WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHIN

Taun is cool, possibly coolest clan leader??

Tapewolf

Quote from: Merlin on November 18, 2016, 04:46:16 AM

I dunno, if the dragon threat is neutralised, she'll have this big army and nothing to do with it.  That might not be a fun time if you're running a small kingdom.

As for protecting Dan, what can Taun offer that Fa'Lina cannot?  SAIA is impenetrable... and the last time someone tried too hard to protect Cyra's children, they ended up with their entire clan wiped out.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Merlin

She's probably got more swords than Fa'Lina. Dan loves swords!

Foxx Trotter

NNF
GOOD GOD Y'ALL

WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHIN

I obviously expected an Edwin Starr lyric in here somewhere. I will stick with my low rider and spill the wine, because the world is a ghetto. But, why can't we be friends?

I see Taun is preparing for the inevitable.

Yarott

You know, I am mainly concerned about the "when" part. When is when? How big will it be? Will other factions that aren't Cubi-or-Dragon-related also join up at some point? It just seems like the scale might end up bigger than regional. Most importantly, will Amber draw such horrific scenes for what might probably be a year or two's worth of updates if it happens on the main comic? The suspense alone is killing me.

Foxx Trotter

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 18, 2016, 05:26:44 AM
As for protecting Dan, what can Taun offer that Fa'Lina cannot?  SAIA is impenetrable... and the last time someone tried too hard to protect Cyra's children, they ended up with their entire clan wiped out.

Yes...except for the, um, BASEMENT. :P  I'm sure Fa'Lina has since fixed that section.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Foxx Trotter on November 18, 2016, 09:10:38 AM
Yes...except for the, um, BASEMENT. :P  I'm sure Fa'Lina has since fixed that section.

The interesting thing about SAIA is that it appears to be in a pocket dimension, similar to Matilda's magical homes, but on a larger scale.  Fa'Lina has absolute control over who may enter or leave the Academy.  So if someone is able to get in via the basement, it's because she has allowed it to happen.  I'm pretty sure Hizell's allies would have found a way in through the basement if it was a weakness...

Quote from: Yarott on November 18, 2016, 09:09:40 AM
Will other factions that aren't Cubi-or-Dragon-related also join up at some point? It just seems like the scale might end up bigger than regional.
The usual trick seems to be the Dragons spreading anti-'cubi propaganda and otherwise encouraging the other races do to their dirty work for them.  It is also most likely that they tricked the clans into fighting each other as well.  Either way, they can afford to play the long game.  The first war probably lasted for a few thousand years before the hostilities tailed off.

As for what protections Taun can offer, it's occurred to me that Dan isn't doing a full-time course - so the protection might be a Taun bodyguard stationed at the inn to watch over him.  Which is interesting because that's what Abel is doing, albeit so discreetly than Dan doesn't even know about it.  Given that Abel is also a critically endangered clan member, I wonder if he'd get one too?
More part-time staff for Alexsi...

Dard

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 18, 2016, 05:26:44 AMAs for protecting Dan, what can Taun offer that Fa'Lina cannot?  SAIA is impenetrable... and the last time someone tried too hard to protect Cyra's children, they ended up with their entire clan wiped out.
Wasn't SAIA founded after the Dragon/Cubi war?
And IIRC the impregnability of SAIA is not because of Fa'Lina's power but because of a fairy boon. So Fa'Lina probably could protect him now although she wouldn't have been able to in days of yore.

But it is unlikely that Dan would stay at SAIA for centuries like Abel did. He's not the kind of person who would hide out.
Outside of SAIA Fa'Lina is relatively powerless except for some political influence.
Taun's help could become very helpful then.
Although Mab's presence alone is probably more protection than Taun could ever give. But every little helps.

But yes, for Taun it is a risk.

Tapewolf

Something else that puzzles me a little - Illiath's punch.  Given that Taun and Cyra were friends - beating up once of their last surviving children is a bit weird.

Cassi-kun

On the other hand, Taun now has several thousand more years of explicitly dealing with dragons and prepping for both solo incidents and Round Two of the war, which likely includes beefing up security at home and increasingly intensive training for her warriors. SAIA maybe impenetrable but Taun and her clan have survived so far.

Then again, Siar had a much larger clan and fell in one day...
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Foxx Trotter

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 18, 2016, 09:32:04 AM
The interesting thing about SAIA is that it appears to be in a pocket dimension, similar to Matilda's magical homes, but on a larger scale.  Fa'Lina has absolute control over who may enter or leave the Academy.  So if someone is able to get in via the basement, it's because she has allowed it to happen.  I'm pretty sure Hizell's allies would have found a way in through the basement if it was a weakness...

Yes, I would have thought as such due to the fact Fa'Lina snagged Dan from Lost Lake Inn without the knowledge of his friends, well, except for Pip.  Therefore, she would have expected a possible rescue and allowed them into SAIA...hence DMFA Comic #542 with a "red carpet" approach.  Look before you leap.  A magical labyrinth, but quite easy for those who are allowed to finish the maze.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 18, 2016, 09:56:36 AM
Something else that puzzles me a little - Illiath's punch.  Given that Taun and Cyra were friends - beating up once of their last surviving children is a bit weird.
Well, the Clan Leaders who showed up to the meeting all tested him in their own way as well. And Jeremiah's "funny story" prior to the meeting was about a whoooole lotta sucker punchin'. "Met yer grandson, one of my kids punched him" could very well be the sort of thing Taun and Cyra would laugh over together since they are both clans of "negative" affiliations.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Cassi-kun on November 18, 2016, 10:23:01 AM
Well, the Clan Leaders who showed up to the meeting all tested him in their own way as well. And Jeremiah's "funny story" prior to the meeting was about a whoooole lotta sucker punchin'. "Met yer grandson, one of my kids punched him" could very well be the sort of thing Taun and Cyra would laugh over together since they are both clans of "negative" affiliations.

Possibly. On the other hand, I'll bet that Taun, as a fighting clan, are expected to be able to take a punch or two, and -think- about the situation before punching back. So... it's at the very least a test to see how Dan reacts... and if he can be reasoned with, even after taking one to the face.

I feel he passed with flying colours.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Somebodyelse

Considering Dan is friends with Mr. Giant-mech-making-mouse, I wonder if Taun would accept a giant suit of power armor from him.

Cuz nothing says "F* you dragons!" quite like a 100 foot tall cubi space marine.

Amber Williams

I dunno, if the dragon threat is neutralised, she'll have this big army and nothing to do with it.  That might not be a fun time if you're running a small kingdom.

Oh she'll have something to do with it.  >:3

Jasonrevall

It's not the size of your army but what you do with it that counts  :U

Wasn't it alluded to in strip 841 that dragons are in other realities as well? Wouldn't it be impossible then to completely remove dragons as a threat if more can just come in from other realities screaming with rage for vengeance?

Also no fortress is impenetrable. Mab may be a fae but they may not posses true omnipotence we only have the words of the fae and dragons that they are unstoppable. There may be some counter somewhere for their magic and if anyone can find it dragons can. You gotta be prepared for the unexpected in war and Taun understands this. The war won't be won by sitting in SAIA you need a mobile force and a good commander.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jasonrevall on November 18, 2016, 04:20:58 PM
Wasn't it alluded to in strip 841 that dragons are in other realities as well?

This is one of the reasons I'm rooting for the 'cubi - dragons seem to be relatively common throughout the multiverse, whereas 'Cubi might be unique to the Furrae plane, branches in the same narrative notwithstanding (1579, 1480).

QuoteWouldn't it be impossible then to completely remove dragons as a threat if more can just come in from other realities screaming with rage for vengeance?

What you might be able to do is stop them from entering, though.  Or perhaps retune the environment of Furrae slightly so that, like the Angels, Dragons have a tough time surviving there.

Also no fortress is impenetrable. Mab may be a fae but they may not posses true omnipotence we only have the words of the fae and dragons that they are unstoppable. There may be some counter somewhere for their magic and if anyone can find it dragons can.
True, though AFAIK they've spent a lot of the last 7000 years trying to get at Destania.

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 18, 2016, 03:16:23 PM
Oh she'll have something to do with it.  >:3

I'd say I hope she knows what she's doing, i.e. not make the 'Cubi race hated and feared to the point at which the other races want to exterminate them even without the Dragons to egg them on.  On the other hand, she's had tens of thousands of years to plan whatever she is or was hoping to do before the first war got in the way.

Prroul

War... war never changes *cue the Fallout theme*

Seriously, though. Taun is probably right, it's not if, it is when, and that when is coming up pretty darn soon, even from a being's definition of 'soon' rather than a triwing/dragon/demon's definition of 'soon'. What I am less comfortable with is that grin on her face. The term 'pride goeth' comes powerfully to mind. These are Dragons, plural, we are dealing with here. Hizel is the big target, obviously, but just taking him down without doing anything about the rest of the dragons that feel similarly is just going to get you counter-attacked and curb-stomped. Which means you need a plan of attack for hitting multiple dragons decisively... simultaneously. That's a tall order.

Having said that, I could just see Abel getting attacked by a Hizel hit team. And Jy finding out that it was, in fact, sent by Hizel. Then he calls up Biggs.

"Hey, Biggs. Been working on that little toy of yours."

"Oh, yea? How's it coming along?"

"Not too bad, just need something for the final testing phase."

"Sure, what do ya need?"

"Bout a square foot of dragonhide. More is better."

"Tall order there, you sure you need it?"

*screen pans down to blueprints for a sniper rifle built about like an M82 .50 Cal Barret or perhaps something that Seras was issued in Hellsing*

"Well, maybe not, but it would be handy for testing purposes. We want to make sure it works as requested. Oh, I've done a bit of... tweaking... on the original design. I think you'll like what I've come up with..."

Foxx Trotter

Quote from: Prroul on November 18, 2016, 06:27:06 PM
*screen pans down to blueprints for a sniper rifle built about like an M82 .50 Cal Barret or perhaps something that Seras was issued in Hellsing*

I don't have anything quite that powerful in my collection, but here in the South, we do have plenty of firepower. :mwaha

Yarott

Quote from: Foxx Trotter on November 18, 2016, 06:45:21 PM
Quote from: Prroul on November 18, 2016, 06:27:06 PM

I don't have anything quite that powerful in my collection, but here in the South, we do have plenty of firepower. :mwaha
All you need is a slingshot with good compressive force, and a bag full of mows.

ZacAttac21

Ah, there's the scary Taun I was expecting. :mowgrin

Also: All my friends know the low rider...

Merlin

Quote from: Yarott on November 18, 2016, 10:25:21 PMAll you need is a slingshot with good compressive force, and a bag full of mows.

Hahahaha oh dear, that would cause quite the stir!

mithril

Quote from: Somebodyelse on November 18, 2016, 12:47:34 PM
Considering Dan is friends with Mr. Giant-mech-making-mouse, I wonder if Taun would accept a giant suit of power armor from him.

Cuz nothing says "F* you dragons!" quite like a 100 foot tall cubi space marine.

as long as she's flanked by a large number of her clan members piloting Jyrras's take on Jeager's.. if Taun goes down her whole clan gets weaker, plus she's was a seasoned warrior before elevating to tri-wing.. she'd understand the need for a platoon or twelve of bodyguards in battle.

PalmettoPaladin

Oh man...this is the first time I get to do this!

*Takes a deep breath*

CALLED IT! :kirby  :eager

Ever since I started reading DMFA a long long time ago back when Dan tried to use his cubi powers to kill Dark Pegasus, I had the suspicion that some of the cubi leaders were once friends with Cyra.  Now I wasn't quite sure which ones, so I guessed.

I guessed correctly with Taun.  Still working on the other ones.

ishidan

Quote from: mithril on November 19, 2016, 04:19:27 AM
Quote from: Somebodyelse on November 18, 2016, 12:47:34 PM

as long as she's flanked by a large number of her clan members piloting Jyrras's take on Jeager's.. if Taun goes down her whole clan gets weaker, plus she's was a seasoned warrior before elevating to tri-wing.. she'd understand the need for a platoon or twelve of bodyguards in battle.

Boy would that confuse the enemy scouts or what?  Assuming they have no idea what a giant mech suit is, from a distance it would only look like humanoids in armor.

What they are expecting: one 100 foot tall Cubi leader flanked by a clan of 6 foot tall ordinary Cubi.

What they see:  a full squad of 100 foot tall Cubi in armor.  Cubi are shapeshifters, yes, but ordinary ones can only shift SIZE by a little bit.  Logical conclusion:  full squad of angry CLAN LEADERS incoming.

/but Jaegers are far too clumsy, especially for a kangaroo rat to build for Cubi.  Jyrras would build Veritechs.

ishidan

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 18, 2016, 11:36:24 AM
Quote from: Cassi-kun on November 18, 2016, 10:23:01 AM

Possibly. On the other hand, I'll bet that Taun, as a fighting clan, are expected to be able to take a punch or two, and -think- about the situation before punching back. So... it's at the very least a test to see how Dan reacts... and if he can be reasoned with, even after taking one to the face.

I feel he passed with flying colours.

Also a practical demonstration of fighting prowess, or lack thereof.  Dan's a bit thick, you remember.

Dan:  "Thanks but no, I can take care of myself."
Taun:  "Really?"
*behind Dan's back, the crackle and clanking of Illiath conjuring her battle armor*
Taun:  "I'd feel more confident in that after watching you defend yourself in full-contact sparring against Illiath.  Whenever you are rea--"
Dan:  "Umm actually, thanks, I accept, and I will tell grandma that I appreciate your hospitality!"
Taun:  "Very good.  You did, by the way, pass the test insofar as you did not fly into a rage and attack uncontrollably after taking that first punch to the nose.  Important survival skill, that."

Tarakona

Quote from: Yarott on November 18, 2016, 10:25:21 PM
Quote from: Foxx

/quote]All you need is a slingshot with good compressive force, and a bag full of mows.

Awww yes! Transplanted southerner here.

Tarakona

Dan won't leave his friends behind to hide out if/when war breaks out. I wonder if Taun's honor would lead her to protect them as well.