2015/05/04 [DMFA #1571] Computing 101

Started by Tapewolf, May 04, 2015, 06:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

I suppose Aary is relatively comfortable with them, at least.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Eboreg

The biggest problem with having a long life?

Moore's Law.

Seriously, f***. Moore's. Law.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Delian Williams

Ssss... This weird screen talks so much about drama, but never gives off any emotions.
Don't you hate the devil you don't know?  :compbash

Truth be told, I'm starting to worry about Ray.

ZacAttac21

Yay! Jakob's back! Bringing some much-needed canine to DMFA. :P

Sofox

Aisha deCabre

*Snerk!* It's interesting to see how Creatures that could live for thousands of years and see many possible different cultural, social, and technological changes in that time can still get technophobia.  I remember how my grandmother barely knew how to program a VCR.

Funny thing also how they DO have watches with that much processing power as well.  Yay Apple.  :B
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Raskahn

Quote from: CubiKitsune on May 04, 2015, 08:46:29 AM
Yay! Jakob's back! Bringing some much-needed canine to DMFA. :P

Hear hear!

Also, That comic pretty accurately described IT classes in my old highschool. 1996 and still using frikkin' MS-DOS and floppy discs. (the actual floppy kind)

Drakkenmensch

I work tech support for a living... welcome to my life, Jacob!

MT Hazard

Dan seems to have a very sharp chin in this one.

As people get older their ability (and willingness) to deal with complicated,new things decreases, however part of this is to do with an ageing mind, the other part is accumulation of mental 'baggage'. Living to 3k and beyond probably means there is a lot of clutter in the average cubi's head.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eboreg on May 04, 2015, 07:09:23 AM
The biggest problem with having a long life?
Moore's Law.

"What do you mean, obsolete?  It's completely transistorised!"

Now, the flipside of all this is that the subtleties of any given technology tend to be lost as the practitioners die off.  If enough long-lived people are able to carry the knowledge with them, a major disaster or war that would otherwise result in a dark age becomes easier to recover from.

KaideGirault

This page is my work experience every day.

Don't get me wrong, I do actually enjoy teaching people technology. There's just so many people that want nothing to do with it.

OrlahEhontas

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 04, 2015, 06:30:33 PM
As people get older their ability (and willingness) to deal with complicated,new things decreases, however part of this is to do with an ageing mind, the other part is accumulation of mental 'baggage'. Living to 3k and beyond probably means there is a lot of clutter in the average cubi's head.
And the other part is not always having the leisure time to deal with it, i.e. having better or more important things to do. Like paint the bathroom... mow the yard... etc...

On the personal side, I work with a couple of guys that have the exact same reaction as the cowering 'cubi in the third panel. And my reaction is pretty much the same as Jakob's. No sympathy from me when I have an 80 y/o mother who took a class in HTML and a grandmother who, before she passed away at 100+, was furious with a friend of hers for leaving the caps lock key on all the time.

psilorder

Everyone is discussing computers and high ages and i just want to joke "(the) Dan and Mab Friend Association"...

Howl

I don't like this joke for some reason.

Edit - Softening my phrasing. Post was originally made in a foul mood.

Lying Foo

I do find it interesting that the students don't seem to have problems, considering that Mink and Abel are still technically students, and they can't be the only ones who've been there that long.  I guess the criterion for changing your paperwork from "student" to "teacher" is when you've officially declared yourself sick of learning new things?
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Amber Williams

That's mainly that unlike Abel and Mink...most students don't spend the entire span in the Academy and actually spend a fair bit of time in the world.  It isn't uncommon for students to take a year in Academy and then take a year back home. Or take a semester.  Or like Dan, stay a month out of the year.   It's less common for students to basically live for hundred+ year spans, though it is a thing that happens.  Where as a fair bit of the faculty goes through longer spans of time in the Academy.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 07, 2015, 06:55:51 PM
That's mainly that unlike Abel and Mink...most students don't spend the entire span in the Academy and actually spend a fair bit of time in the world.  It isn't uncommon for students to take a year in Academy and then take a year back home. Or take a semester.
[Quickly edits some of the dialog in the Epsilon Project]

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 08, 2015, 07:21:13 AM
Quote from: Amber Williams on May 07, 2015, 06:55:51 PM
That's mainly that unlike Abel and Mink...most students don't spend the entire span in the Academy and actually spend a fair bit of time in the world.  It isn't uncommon for students to take a year in Academy and then take a year back home. Or take a semester.
[Quickly edits some of the dialog in the Epsilon Project]

Heh. Quick, Ambaargh - add another comment that changes it again! ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Amber Williams

Umm....um....flared jeans are prohibited on campus grounds?  :bigsword

I think the main thing is the Academy is fairly customizable and usually there is a balance worked between the folks attending/sending their kids and Fa'Lina.  For some cases there is a bit more of a "shelter them away from a dangerous world and give them lessons in a place that is guaranteed to keep them save.", others its more a "great place to make connections and meet other members of your race and learn a few things"  and some who just treat it like an actual college where they go home on weekends and holidays.  A lot of it really depends on the type of structure the folks going in has.  Cubi who tend to be being raised and not quite realizing the "sudden boom to my life span" prefer the shorter more college-style setups because to them life is very fleeting and they don't want to suddenly come out and all their friends are dead/old.  Cubi who are raised in more traditional cubi families will usually have longer chunks of time and not be phased by the idea of going into longer time.

But usually since Cubi tend to be the more impulsive of the races, most of them are kind of eeeghn to the idea of spending more than 100 years in intensive studying  or Acadamia unless its for something crazy hyper-focused.  Even with the high energy the Academy gives, most Cubi simply do have a drive to intermingle into large societies in some form or another.  In that basically perhaps cause beings live far less longer, they emotionally burn a bit more pure and brighter which attracts Cubi to them while other creature races tend to be less exciting.

Merlin

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 08, 2015, 04:08:41 PM

Oh I see I see...

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Merlin on May 08, 2015, 08:14:20 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on May 08, 2015, 04:08:41 PM

Oh I see I see...

I hope making art of that new Cubi becomes a trend. His design is so cool.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Amber Williams

The amount of times I design a character just to release them into a single panel never to be seen again is well...a lot of times. :U

Somedays I mentally joke about the idea of doing retro-active cameos where I just put the design up for sale and be all "and it comes with a cameo in DMFA...applied retro-actively" and then just let other folks take the character and run with em.  :B

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 09, 2015, 03:18:03 PM
The amount of times I design a character just to release them into a single panel never to be seen again is well...a lot of times. :U

Somedays I mentally joke about the idea of doing retro-active cameos where I just put the design up for sale and be all "and it comes with a cameo in DMFA...applied retro-actively" and then just let other folks take the character and run with em.  :B

I wonder how many people would jump all over that if you actually offered? Or if a blackmarket would open up and people try to sell their own designs that are already cameos in your comic XD Though I doubt Lucheek or anyone else would do that but you never know!
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Mao

Brb, gotta go get rich by scamming off of Mab's work.  Probably split it with the other mods and admins... except Mab, that is.

Amber Williams

Dangit! You can't ouscam a scamber!  >:O

Hariman

Quote from: Jasonrevall on May 09, 2015, 05:10:28 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on May 09, 2015, 03:18:03 PM

I wonder how many people would jump all over that if you actually offered? Or if a blackmarket would open up and people try to sell their own designs that are already cameos in your comic XD Though I doubt Lucheek or anyone else would do that but you never know!

All I see/hear is $_$ when I hear that idea.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!