help with insomnia!

Started by vulpesweasel, September 10, 2006, 01:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vulpesweasel

Help meh!!! I have a bit of trouble with sleeping and being tired (don't we all though!) Well, my problem is that even though I can get a goold 7 or more hours of sleep, i fall asleep during school, and I have a big loud fat guy for a history teacher and he scares me when he's mad! D: But I have tinnitus, and i gotta keep the radio on at night or it drives me crazy, but the radio distracts me, and I am still sleepy even if I get good night's sleep! does anyone have a clue on what i could do sleep quietly without that damn ringing making me go crazy?

Sketchy boy

You have to hear a continues noise too huh?(white noise, wuteva!)  I just put a box fan beside my bead and huddle under the covers.  I love to sleep like that.

Try that or a regular fan and drink some nyquill 1 hr before bedtime.  That stuff knocks me out.l

thegayhare

Quote from: Sketchy boy on September 10, 2006, 01:59:21 AM
You have to hear a continues noise too huh?(white noise, wuteva!)  I just put a box fan beside my bead and huddle under the covers.  I love to sleep like that.

Try that or a regular fan and drink some nyquill 1 hr before bedtime.  That stuff knocks me out.l

I use 2 small desk fans one at my feet one at my head...

and careful about sugesting nyquil its not safe for some people...

cold sweats and hallicinations here (last time I took any I thought my house was on fire and I tried to put it out with my wet hair)

xHaZxMaTx

Box fans are great for white noise.  I have a regular stand up fan in my room and I listen to music while I sleep, though I'm always tired at school the next day.  I can't really suggest anything, though, but I can tell you this;  if you do decide to take sleeping pills, be careful, you can get dependant on them very easily.

Shadrok

Let me guess the ringing is like this
http://www.freemosquitoringtone.com/

That's what I tend to do, but you could also try listen to classical music or sounds of nature CDs (not the ones that have the instruments in the background they're just annoying IMO).

I could drink most of the bottle and not be affected till after I went to sleep. I take a little after my dad with the strong tolerance towards medication when I'm awake. The only thing that did affect me was claraden, that stuff had me on edge jumping at the least little thing till I was sick at my stomach. lets just say I took it once and never again.

vulpesweasel

thanks guys! I'll make sure to try the fans and that sounds of nature thing too!

Vaguely Creepy

I've just listened to the same song over and over again as I've gone to sleep for the past six months now. I've gotten so used to it, I can have it drown out my thoughts without actually listening to it.

As for the sleepiness at school thing, if that seems to continue, and even if it doesn't, you might want to try eating a banana with breakfast. Those things are loaded with sugars and B vitamins, which are what give you energy. Two are supposed to be enough for a ninety minute workout, though I'm not entirely sure about that. Anyway, they're really healthy and couldn't hurt, unless you're allergic to them.

vulpesweasel

thanks for the tip, VC, I'll have to try that! *takes bananas out of aridas ears*

Azlan

If I can borrow Alexi's mallet... okay, stand still!

*winds up mallet*
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Leafar

hey, 2 apples a day...it worked for papa... :)

Gornemant

As far as listening to music at low volume goes, sounds of nature works, chillout too, you can get some for free here mixs (new planet, solar genius, maya, real dream and you got around 5 1/3 hours to listen to).
And try some linden tea :p

Paavo

Damaris

Warm Milk.  Disgusting as it tastes.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Gornemant

llearch n'n'daCorna

Sex works for me, every time.

Wot? *looks innocent*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Leafar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 10, 2006, 12:55:07 PM
Sex works for me, every time.

Wot? *looks innocent*

i second this...sometimes i have insomnia for 5 6 nights in a row so i....erm...nothing... :S

bill

I generally put my radio on as low as it can go. I don't use classical, though, Classic Rock FTW.  :P

Leafar

i have an awesome piano theme of backgrounds from sakura...
want me to upload it for you?

vulpesweasel

sure! And the banana thing worked great! But I was sick today so i fell asleep anyway! ^.^' Not my fault if latin sucks!

Vaguely Creepy

Quote from: vulpesweasel on September 11, 2006, 04:11:39 PM
sure! And the banana thing worked great! But I was sick today so i fell asleep anyway! ^.^' Not my fault if latin sucks!

I'm sorry to hear you were sick, but I'm glad to hear that the bananas worked. I got an email about them from my mother. Apparently they're good for all sorts of problems: depression, PMS, anemia, blood pressure, constipation, hangovers (in the form of a banana-honey milkshake), heartburn, morning sickness, nerves, ulcers, and so on. Granted, I wouldn't take my word over a doctor's, but a little good nutrition probably couldn't hurt.

Zedd

I know the best way to cure it.....Drink a hot boiling mug of milk and cookies

xHaZxMaTx

Is there a word for the opposite of insomnia?  I fell asleep at 8:30 last night...

Miaka

Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on September 12, 2006, 05:28:50 PM
Is there a word for the opposite of insomnia?  I fell asleep at 8:30 last night...
Same here, but then i woke up at 3. I blame the fact that I'm sick. And the fact that I slept three hours the night before.

um..... I've really got nothing. Some of my friends would do physical activity(They'd play DDR, but working out or something like that works too) to the point of exhaustion and then they'd just collapse and fall asleep. prolly not the best method, but it works.

insanekaosx

Quote from: Miaka on September 12, 2006, 05:49:16 PM
um..... I've really got nothing. Some of my friends would do physical activity(They'd play DDR, but working out or something like that works too) to the point of exhaustion and then they'd just collapse and fall asleep. prolly not the best method, but it works.

I would be one of those friends. I've never really had insomnia, but I have had nights where I just can't sleep. Usually play a few really difficult songs on DDR and I should be collapsing in a heap.

Vaguely Creepy

Narcolepsy? :P

luiqui

Quote from: insanekaosx on September 12, 2006, 05:51:42 PM

I would be one of those friends. I've never really had insomnia, but I have had nights where I just can't sleep. Usually play a few really difficult songs on DDR and I should be collapsing in a heap.

Hmm, I'd have thaough that wouldn't that would wake you up :S

OK, first of all, I was under the impression that 7 hours wasn't enough sleep, and somewhere closer to 8 was the norm for a proper rest. People differ in the amount they need, of course, but that's the average.

I'm not exactly a model sleeper, but I do have some relaxation techniques you could try if you're into that sort of thing (or just want to give it a shot). First, I concentrate on exhalation. I make the outward breaths long and controlled, and think about sinking into the bed whilst doing so. That's usually enough to burn off light stress and get me feeling sleepier. Another thing you could try that works for me sometimes is to try to get into a dreamy mindset. Just let your imagination drift off, unfocused, and just look at whatever you think up cooly and without trying to rationalise. Another one if you're feeling adventurous is the 61-point relaxation technique. This involves progressively relaxing parts of the body in a set sequence (here's a diagram, it's not hard to memorise), and is useful for all sorts of stuff. When I use it to get to sleep, I'm usually off by point 10 (although I have been known to go all the way to 61 without any effect). These techniques aren't exactly very precise, but they could be useful, expecially combined with some of the other stuff here.

vulpesweasel

...somnia? Blargh. i was sick again during latin. I get the chills and get dizzy. i thinks it's cause i stopped my  medication abruptly. but those bananas really work wonders!

insanekaosx

Quote from: luiqui on September 13, 2006, 05:40:51 PM
Quote from: insanekaosx on September 12, 2006, 05:51:42 PM

Hmm, I'd have thaough that wouldn't that would wake you up :S

OK, first of all, I was under the impression that 7 hours wasn't enough sleep, and somewhere closer to 8 was the norm for a proper rest. People differ in the amount they need, of course, but that's the average.

Well, it takes alot of DDR to make me collapse now, but thats more of before I was good :P If you can play until you're collapsing, you'll get to bed. If not that far yet, you'll just be more awake.

And while the docotrs say 8hrs is how much sleep you should get, it really depends on how you feel you have rested enough. I usually get about 6hrs a night, and I'm not doing that bad.

xHaZxMaTx

I always find that the more sleep I get, the more tired I am at school the next day. :|  ...To a certain extent.

Aridas

Don't get too much sleep or you might wake up in 2109.