Started by thegayhare, September 26, 2014, 05:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Well I do,   and I'd like a few hens too

this is an awesome Indonesian breed called Ayam Cemani

They are all black inside and out

feathers, bones, meat, organs,

And even the eggs

I want some sooooo bad  but they are 2000 dollars for a pair.

Id name the rooster Damien and one hen "El pollo de la muerte" the chicken of death, and another hen "The Poultrygiest"

http://youtu.be/OwGg0ZHf-f0

Tuyu

Wikipedia says there are two other black breeds:  Silkies (which may have non-black feathers but are otherwise black), and Kadaknath.

thegayhare

Ohhh your right but the ayam are the only ones that lay black eggs.   And silkies don't do well in the cold.    Damn I would like a silkie though they are friendly and look like muppets

Brunhidden

if you learn how to carve the eggshells into art you may be able to make back the money by selling the rare and funky shells
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Colgatecrusader

Wikipedia didn't answer the only question I have, why are they totally black? Is it camouflage?

I remember years ago in my biology class they talked about how the industrial revolution cause an increase in the percentage of black butterflies, because they could hide more easily on the soot covered trees. Is this the same type of thing? Were they raised in mordor? 
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

Merlin

Quote from: Colgatecrusader on September 30, 2014, 06:30:58 PM
Wikipedia didn't answer the only question I have, why are they totally black? Is it camouflage?

I'm guessing like Chinese Silkies, they were specifically bred for it. Less natural selection, and more human-induced for weird traits.

Also how did I not see this thread before! That chick is ultra-cute. I can highly recommend big black cocks... though my old roo was not nearly as black as those boys. Or as large. Or as expensive :S

thegayhare

*giggles*

I've recently thought about starting my own farm

I'd make it a rabbit and egg farm  With easter eggers and Americana's for the colorfull eggs and Id get some german giant rabbits....  you know the rabbits that weigh 20 or 30 pounds...

I'd name it TGH's All Year Easter Ranch

Merlin

Quote from: thegayhare on September 30, 2014, 10:38:19 PM
*giggles*

I've recently thought about starting my own farm

I'd make it a rabbit and egg farm  With easter eggers and Americana's for the colorfull eggs and Id get some german giant rabbits....  you know the rabbits that weigh 20 or 30 pounds...

I'd name it TGH's All Year Easter Ranch

Now THAT sounds like fun, mwaha. Those giant rabbits tend to be more relaxed than smaller breeds, they're freakin adorable man. Plus, when they're that big you can dress them up in costumes... er, I've heard. I definitely don't do that to my welsh giant. He definitely doesn't wear the same size as my cats.

And roosters are fantastic pets, you just need to keep them trained to prevent aggressiveness. Which is actually really easy, but as far as I can tell they'll always go you if they think you're attacking their hens haha. Always adorable when the hen's a giant breed like the sussex and the rooster's less than half her size, trying to 'protect' her from you :3

Colgatecrusader

Quote from: Merlin on September 30, 2014, 10:12:49 PM
I'm guessing like Chinese Silkies, they were specifically bred for it. Less natural selection, and more human-induced for weird traits.
in

That would make a lot of sense, thanks haha.

For some reason my mind jumped to the idea of some landscape charring event in which all the normal chickens died, punctuated equilibrium and all that. weird...

It seems to have worked though, everybody seems to adore them. They are pretty cute, though I couldn't really tell you why, it seems like someone just dunked some chickens in an inkwell. Maybe it's the novelty of it?
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.