homebrew

Started by Brunhidden, September 18, 2014, 05:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

i recently decided to make my own mead, considering its awesome, yet fifteen dollars a bottle in the event im lucky enough to stumble uppon it at a liquor store. like ive got that much money to get my viking teatime on. when i was a kid my parents recurited me to make homebrew wine from dandelions and other odd things laying around so i know some of the process in addition to youtube how to, it was an odd summer for a 9 year old but at 30 it seems kinda charming.

so the more time consuming cheapskate process will require a six gallon glass jug and one of those one way valve dealies, which apperantly i cant find a physical store to pick them up and i am very leery of having a giant glass container mailed to me, i love the internet like a charmingly disturbed child but i do not trust it to carry fragile objects long distances. in either case price seems to be about 40-50 dollars for this, assuming i only want to make one jug at a time, not counting bottles to store it in which can be repurposed from elsewhere or bought individually (like the fancy ones with the wire bit holdin on a plug thingy). being extra fancy and throwing chunks of fruit in there is also an option, like lemon or something, juniper berries? is that a thing people put in mead? im going on what a guy in skyrim said, so im leery cause of how few products ive actually seen in stores.

there is however an apiary in town, which because its wisconsin is also an ice cream shop, so i can get a gallon jug of honey for about 45 dollars. because its still wisconsin four gallons of water is practically free but ill likely spring for the quarter a gallon of store bought

mathness - not counting one time expenses of the jug it would cost per-batch fifty dollars, produce about 25 wine bottle volume finished product so about two dollars a bottle.

now i pause to check where along this line i am going to potentially screw up, cause i know some no-nos are selling this stuff, getting more then one jug to make batches in shifts would be good idea if i (and my wife) somehow go through more then five gallons of mead in three months, or if its a good idea to serve it at parties?

this seems like too much thought and ambition to get responsibly intoxicated in a thrifty way
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on September 18, 2014, 05:44:59 AM
this seems like too much thought and ambition to get responsibly intoxicated in a thrifty way

Not nearly enough, my good man. Not nearly enough. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears