2014/07/25 - [DMFA #1503] Void Event = The Opposite of a Light Cone?

Started by ChaosMageX, July 25, 2014, 02:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

Seriously, did anyone else find themselves thinking about light cones from the realm of physics as they read her explanation of a void event?

This void event basically seems like the opposite of a light cone, in that it casts darkness over everything that the light cone of the event would normally reach.

Icon by Sunblink

HaDDea

Hmm, a void event - a "turning of all turns", to borrow a phrase from Erfworld. it seems that something must be decided before the phoenixes can see again (presumably by the characters in our story). Well, this explains why they missed out on Dee - they may be essentially flying blind shortly. But then again, how did Dee know about this event? or was she just crazy and went for it? At any rate, something big needs to resolve itself soon. Pick a trouser leg, Furrae - you've got a future to choose.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: ChaosMageX on July 25, 2014, 02:01:19 AM
Seriously, did anyone else find themselves thinking about light cones from the realm of physics as they read her explanation of a void event?

This void event basically seems like the opposite of a light cone, in that it casts darkness over everything that the light cone of the event would normally reach.

Ugh... relativity. Kill it with fire... :mowdizzy

Tapewolf

Amber has insinuated that several races will disappear in the climax of DMFA.  If the event wipes out the Phoenix Oracles as well, that might make predictions a little difficult.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kibin

Quote from: HaDDea on July 25, 2014, 02:29:44 AM
Hmm, a void event - a "turning of all turns", to borrow a phrase from Erfworld. it seems that something must be decided before the phoenixes can see again (presumably by the characters in our story). Well, this explains why they missed out on Dee - they may be essentially flying blind shortly. But then again, how did Dee know about this event? or was she just crazy and went for it? At any rate, something big needs to resolve itself soon. Pick a trouser leg, Furrae - you've got a future to choose.

The oracle mentioned people beyond their sight. Cyra clan is, again, one of those people and forces. I'd figure that the black dot is something they have to actively search for, or notice when coincidentally trying to look at or predict something else related or next to them.

HaDDea

Quote from: Kibin on July 25, 2014, 03:48:01 AM
The oracle mentioned people beyond their sight. Cyra clan is, again, one of those people and forces. I'd figure that the black dot is something they have to actively search for, or notice when coincidentally trying to look at or predict something else related or next to them.

True - I am not sure what protections Cyra's clan is afforded.  But as the Oracle pointed out, those points can still be traced - they're just points, after all. This is much bigger than that, to the point where is seems the Oracles do not know who the assailant was. Things sound like they are at the point where even a Being might be able to sneak upon a Phoenix at the temple and kill them.

I wonder who will precipitate the Event that is responsible for this Void Event, and what races, (if any) will die? will DP successfully crush the Undead? will Dee succeed? or maybe the Dragons? are the Angels going to make a move? or maybe the Insectis? does this maybe have to do with Owonna's death? or will it have to do with Zezzuva's hand over of the clan? will someone kill Fa'lina, thus destroying SAIA? will Pip regain his fully powered form? Will Jyrras (un)intentionally build a doomsday device??? i expect that the mythos and beings will survive on account of their diversity, but with the exception of The Fae, all others are possibilities - especially the demons, cubi and dragons.

Eboreg

Let's be quite frank here, when have we ever personally seen a phoenix oracle use a metaphor?
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

thegayhare

The little baby still looks so happy in the last panel.  Ohhh. Is it bad I wanna go on a killing spree just so there will be more adorable burning babies to cuddle.

Never mind stupid question of course that's bad.

Oh dear I just had a weird thought.  What if this phoenix we are seeing here isn't the real one either.  What if Cyra replaced that oracle in the hopes of using this to guide the adventurers into Destina's path in the hopes of thwarting her

ArchTeryx

Quote from: Eboreg on July 25, 2014, 08:03:54 AM
Let's be quite frank here, when have we ever personally seen a phoenix oracle use a metaphor?

We haven't seen Phoenix Oracles during the normal course of their jobs, either.  Da' was talking to her adopted son.  Riva was a fake.  And this one's dealing with Really Big Sh*t, big enough that she's more or less talking "off the record".

Quote from: thegayhare on July 25, 2014, 09:59:47 AM
Oh dear I just had a weird thought.  What if this phoenix we are seeing here isn't the real one either.  What if Cyra replaced that oracle in the hopes of using this to guide the adventurers into Destina's path in the hopes of thwarting her.

I sincerely doubt that.  This one's not trying to manipulate anyone, and unlike Destania's one-sentence "sic 'em" direction, there's an extended conversation going on here.  (And there's also the fact she's holding Riva, who ALSO is on fire).

She's the real deal.  She's just entirely lost her precognition due to this "void event", and so have the rest of her compatriots.  They've been busted down to the same insight as all the rest of the citizens of Furrae have.

She's just saying it in an egg-headed, roundabout way, even if she's not further obfuscating it with metaphors.

nichdel

I'm reminded of the Dune series.

SPOILERS

Near the beginning of the series, only Paul can see the future. Much later his genes have spread far and wide and a good deal of people can see the future. Someone develops the ability to be hidden from the people who can see the future. But the people who can see the future mostly learn that they can track these hidden people by the missing spots they leave. Eventually though some people start becoming able to simply escape notice, not leaving any empty space at all.

I don't have much to add, I just really like Dune.

Eboreg

Quote from: ArchTeryx on July 25, 2014, 11:32:40 AM

We haven't seen Phoenix Oracles during the normal course of their jobs, either.  Da' was talking to her adopted son.  Riva was a fake.  And this one's dealing with Really Big Sh*t, big enough that she's more or less talking "off the record".

You forgot the one that Aaryanna threatened into giving a direct answer that turned out to be less direct then expected.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

lemurvid

Here, I believe - http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1273.php
Well, not exactly a metaphor, but deliberately confusing for sure.
Man, it took a while to find that. :mowdizzy

tikitori

Don't forget the whole reason Aary wanted to kill Dan-http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_295.php

And we see a couple doing their job shortly after here-http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_301.php

We probably don't see them often because they're not really a common race to begin with, nor were they too relevant to the story.

ZacAttac21

This is starting to remind me of that scene from "Watchmen" where [spoiler]Dr. Manhattan can't see into the future because of a future nuclear holocaust...[/spoiler]

lemurvid

Quote from: CubiKitsune on July 26, 2014, 03:31:02 AM
This is starting to remind me of that scene from "Watchmen" where [spoiler]Dr. Manhattan can't see into the future because of a future nuclear holocaust...[/spoiler]
I was all like 'wha?' until I realised you meant the movie. The reason in the comic is sooo much better and whole lot weirder. :mowninja

Emerauld Drathmir

*falls over from cuteness*

She seriously set up the baby Phoenix to offset the somber mood, because all I saw was "Whee!  Baby!  Soooo cute!".  I had to go back ten times to actually parse what was said.

*bows to Amber* 
Yoho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...Darn it Bean, no Looting until after dinner!
--Home of Angst Technology/Weak-end Warriors/Sorry We're Open, and InkTank-now back from hiatus.

Starcat5

Gah! Stupid Firefox crash! I ended up bumping an old thread. Lets try this again:

Since the only proof that Merlitz kicked the bucket was the word of an imposter, does that mean that his status of DOA is now officially in doubt?
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

lemurvid

Quote from: Starcat5 on July 26, 2014, 10:47:17 AM
Since the only proof that Merlitz kicked the bucket was the word of an imposter, does that mean that his status of DOA is now officially in doubt?
Well, there was that whole thing with the magic stone or whatever it was. That said he was dead which is why they asked the Oracles. But if stuff is hidden from them maybe it's hidden from the stones too.

Tapewolf

Quote from: lemurvid on July 26, 2014, 12:03:21 PM
Well, there was that whole thing with the magic stone or whatever it was. That said he was dead which is why they asked the Oracles. But if stuff is hidden from them maybe it's hidden from the stones too.

"Dead or blocked by powerful magic" are the exact words.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

lemurvid

The implication being that Destania has either offed or kidnapped Merlitz. Otherwise the whole scam makes no sense. Its the thing that started it off.

Hariman

Quote from: lemurvid on July 26, 2014, 12:03:21 PM
Quote from: Starcat5 on July 26, 2014, 10:47:17 AM

Hmm. Mab also said that she or Pyroduck could have cleared up the misunderstanding easily, so that brings in other possibilities.

Like Mab hiding him away in a snow globe shaped section of the fae realm, or something.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!