2014/07/21 - [DMFA #1502] Hot-headed

Started by Merlin, July 21, 2014, 12:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eboreg on July 22, 2014, 08:08:16 PM
Well, I guess Abel is off the hook since you wouldn't kill an oracle and take her place if you wanted to tell someone the truth.

Unless they again say "He was killed by a 'Cubi from Lost Lake" - meaning Destania.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ZacAttac21

Quote from: HaDDea on July 22, 2014, 05:34:38 AM
Quote from: CubiKitsune on July 22, 2014, 04:43:48 AM
Quote from: HaDDea on July 22, 2014, 04:28:29 AM
Well, seeing as the Phoenix Oracles likely know Destania's intentions (I'm going off the conversation between Pyroduck and Da')...

Nope. On this page, Da' specifically says that something is blocking her from seeing Pyro's future. Therefore, one could assume that Dee is able to block her own future from the Oracles' sight. And that would include her future plans.

I was under the impression that the reason why Lost Lake was under blockage was because of the combined efforts of Cyra and Falina to protect the place for Cyra's descendants' sake (Some Fae meddling may also be at work). Da' does specify that there aren't many things that have the sort of power required to block Phoenix Sight, and I have doubts that Destania's personal powers, while they are no doubt considerable, are quite that large. The Twinks might possibly have some sort of capability (not much has been revealed in-comic about them).

However, the blockages seem to be linked to the location, not to individuals. Dee would have to stay within those No-Sight zones for her future to remain hidden from view. And just because Phoenix Sight does not work in these zones does not mean other forms of scrying will not - Hizell seemed to be able to look easily enough at Lost Lake. Given her enjoyment of the Personal Touch in her work, i think it would be relatively easy for Pandora to find Dee while outside a No-Sight zone or even perhaps to observe her while inside one, and to plan accordingly.

Interesting points. In my mind, Destania heavily involved means Destania is the culprit. But you may have something there...

HaDDea

Quote from: CubiKitsune on July 23, 2014, 12:30:09 AM
Interesting points. In my mind, Destania heavily involved means Destania is the culprit. But you may have something there...

Granted - but I still feel the power, if it is linked to individuals, is still derived from Falina and Cyra - I just have trouble believing that a non-triwing can come up with the kind of power that Da' seemed to be alluding to. However, if it is linked to individuals, I'm not sure then why Lost Lake is currently a No-Sight zone, as no Cyran descendants are currently present there (does Mab naturally cause one? Pip?? Jyrras' nonmagical tinkering???).

Another thought is that there may be a sort of "future lag" built up around an individual who has lived in/out of such a zone... Falina seems to have had the ability to see Abel's future while he was at Lost lake, then after a month it stopped - though whether this is because Abel is living in a No-Sight zone or because he was no longer living in SAIA i am not sure... if such "lag"exists and builds around an individual, it may be possible to venture outside such a zone for a short period of time to do nefarious deeds and then jump back inside and be safe from Phoenix Sight... but you'd better hope you can get back inside before the lag catches up.

hmm.... what would happen if the Phoenixes decided to align with the Dragons in order to exterminate Destania....

ArchTeryx

Quote from: HaDDea on July 23, 2014, 02:44:25 AM
hmm.... what would happen if the Phoenixes decided to align with the Dragons in order to exterminate Destania....

Nothing good.  The Phoenix Oracles may be driven to what are, for them, desperate measures, but that doesn't mean they want to start a brand new Dragon-Cubi war.  They are still, at the root, pacifists.  Neutralizing Destania may be something they can justify to prevent another war.  Wrecking the world - again - isn't something they'd do even to save themselves.

Hariman

Quote from: HaDDea on July 22, 2014, 02:20:08 AM
Quote from: Hariman on July 22, 2014, 12:01:51 AM
Howl: Ambaaargh has mentioned more than once that she might or might not actually kill anyone. Of course, that's also an author teasing and keeping her fans in the dark/confused/unsure, but it's still up in the air if anyone will die, or if they'll come back.

Seeing as soulstealing/soul magic appears to be a major plot element, and a major theme is that the use of such magic is overall detrimental, I doubt anyone will be coming back - leastways not without some cost to themselves (sanity/personality shift?).

Besides, once people can get res'd easily, the sting of death being a Big Deal disappears. one of the major drama points with Mab is that she might theoretically have the power to keep her linear friends alive, Da Rules won't not let her, and she's bummed out about it - ergo she's trying to keep them alive by more mundane means.

I wonder how Cyra feels about Destania's shenanigans...

Well, I'm not sure if many people will get rezzed easily. The resurrection ritual might not even get used often, because Kria, Lorenda, and the rest of her family might stop using it. Also, people know that Dark Pegasus has come back repeatedly, but most don't know that he gets rezzed by his sister each time.

As for how Cyra feels about Destania's shenanigans?

Cyra probably feels very sad about them, given the regret she has shown about the destruction of an entire city caused by her actions, and the resulting war.

Also, because I want to cheer up after a very frustrating day:
DANCING SMILEYS!  :ipod  :kirby  :zombiekun2 :ipod  :zombiekun2  :kirby :ipod
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Hariman on July 23, 2014, 11:10:29 PM
Cyra probably feels very sad about them, given the regret she has shown about the destruction of an entire city caused by her actions, and the resulting war.

Cyra, I feel I should point out, was attempting to make a good impression on Dan at the time. Not to be too dark, but there's no reason I can see that she wouldn't feel fully justified in lying through her teeth, if it furthered her ends.

I'm not suggesting she definitely is; just that we've seen nothing to say that she's not just as happy as Destania is to cause pain...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 24, 2014, 12:49:48 AM
Cyra, I feel I should point out, was attempting to make a good impression on Dan at the time. Not to be too dark, but there's no reason I can see that she wouldn't feel fully justified in lying through her teeth, if it furthered her ends.

That is possible, though the Cyra letter says much the same:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,8656.msg357302.html#msg357302

...As I remember, the replies given in the letters were true, to the best of their belief.

Kibin

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 24, 2014, 04:27:05 AM

...As I remember, the replies given in the letters were true, to the best of their belief.

Some of the information in those letters make me suddenly curious as to the nature of Phoenix resurrection, and to the 'slightly different outlook and personality' of most phoenixes. Hmmm...

lemurvid

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 24, 2014, 04:27:05 AM

Okay, newbie here... where did that letter come from? Is that canon? Are there more??

Tapewolf

Quote from: lemurvid on July 24, 2014, 10:44:12 AM
Okay, newbie here... where did that letter come from? Is that canon? Are there more??

When Amber sold off the original line-art for the clan leaders, the buyer had the option to ask that clan leader a question.  Unless I'm much mistaken, the answer would be truthful, as the clan leader understood it.  (e.g. if you ask about the mechanics of the universe, they will tell you what they understand, which might not be correct, but personal questions should be relatively accurate.  Amber said she'd warn anyone if their question was likely to provoke an angry response.)

As a rule things tend not to be fully canon unless they actually appear in the comic (and not always then, e.g. the Pokemon arc at the start).  But from what was said at the time I would expect them to be a reasonably accurate snapshot of what a given clan leader believes.

AFAIK all the answers we know were collected in that thread, notwithstanding that most are links to scans etc on other sites - I don't think all of them were transcribed.  From the guy who was keeping check, the only ones we don't have are Fa'Lina, Mink, Nact'larn and Owona (since Mao declined to ask her a question).

lemurvid

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 24, 2014, 12:11:01 PM
AFAIK all the answers we know were collected in that thread, notwithstanding that most are links to scans etc on other sites - I don't think all of them were transcribed.  From the guy who was keeping check, the only ones we don't have are Fa'Lina, Mink, Nact'larn and Owona (since Mao declined to ask her a question).
Cheers, thanks, I'll give them a look. :mowsmile

Aaaand now I have. What a fantastic trove of background info. I'm not a person that cares too much about in-world mechanics (never having been an RPG'er) but those letters are so well-written that I found them fascinating. I wouldn't have thought it possible but my respect for Amber has increased even further.
Thanks everyone for posting them.

justacritic

Truly there is nothing more terrifying than a woman on a mission. Destania has dedication, a lot of it.

Hariman

Quote from: Hariman on July 23, 2014, 11:10:29 PM

I'm not suggesting she definitely is; just that we've seen nothing to say that she's not just as happy as Destania is to cause pain...

True.

Cyra also has to bear the burden of starting a war that destroyed several clans of cubi, including most of her own clan and the clan of the love of her only remaining daughter, driving her son in law insane and causing unwanted grief and pain to her child.

I could be wrong, but to me, it just doesn't seem in character for Cyra to be manipulating Dan.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

Starcat5

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 22, 2014, 08:26:42 PM
Well, I guess Abel is off the hook since you wouldn't kill an oracle and take her place if you wanted to tell someone the truth.
Unless they again say "He was killed by a 'Cubi from Lost Lake" - meaning Destania.
On the other paw, she could end up saying "He's in a tavern watching his adventuring party get thoroughly sloshed".  >:3

Remember, the only proof that he's dead is that an imposter said so.  :mwaha
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Hariman

Quote from: Starcat5 on July 26, 2014, 10:37:51 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on July 22, 2014, 08:26:42 PM
On the other paw, she could end up saying "He's in a tavern watching his adventuring party get thoroughly sloshed".  >:3

Remember, the only proof that he's dead is that an imposter said so.  :mwaha

Nytemyste checked the little soul indicator stone that all adventurers have, and it was dark. So Merlitz is either dead, or very well hidden. It's also possible that Merlitz is in the Void Event's shadow.