05/09/09 [DMFA#999] The stuff that nightmares are made of.

Started by Corgatha Taldorthar, May 09, 2009, 04:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corgatha Taldorthar

Boy, Dan's taking the loss prety hard, especially given it wasn't even Regina he lost to. Sooner or later he's going to have to learn that there's always a bigger fish.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

MT Hazard

Hmm, do we know anyone who speaks in a white, arty, serif font?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Sunblink

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 09, 2009, 04:27:41 PM
Hmm, do we know anyone who speaks in a white, arty, serif font?

Cyra? I don't know, the figure nearby is blue...

Destania? I'm inclined to say "Matilda," but she doesn't have hair.

I'm really trying too hard, but hot dang I love this update. Regina's smirking face is fantastic.

SpottedKitty

Not yet.

I have my suspicions... I think we're about to see, in-canon, just how a certain blue-furred feline tri-wing cubi behaves. Yes, it looks like page #1000 is going to be good.   :boogie
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Tezkat

Yeah, my money's on Cyra. Dan just got his clan symbol, so it's a good time for introductions.
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tycoon

Spectacular page, for sure. The chilling feel I get from it, despite its colorful brightness, is amazing.

I'll bet the farm on it being Cyra. She was the first gal to come to mind when I saw those words.

Noone

Hmm, "Perhaps then what you need is a friend who will help you help yourself."...
Part of me has the feeling that that's Abel dream tapping Dan. He does appear to take Dan's safety seriously, despite being somewhat lax in that department in the past arc. He would have clear motive to do that, the sooner Dan decides to go to SAIA and attend full time, the sooner he can go back as well. It would also be some assurance that he doesn't have to constantly keep Dan out of trouble, if he does decide to, at least stay under Abel's tutelage and not risk getting ripped apart.

Kipiru

Ted Schiller

Dr. Ink, perhaps?  I am somewhat serious here.  ;)  Fa'lina may have just gotten the word and sent a professional.  With firm instructions on conduct.

With regards,
Ted

Arroyo Milori

I think its Destania, I don't even think Dan knows what Cyra looks like...

Pagan

Oooohhhh yeah... That's gotta be Cyra. Friggin' yes. Too bad strip 1000'll be a copout. Amber's too lazy to not take the chance.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Jairus

Quote from: Pagan on May 09, 2009, 04:55:48 PM
Oooohhhh yeah... That's gotta be Cyra. Friggin' yes. Too bad strip 1000'll be a copout. Amber's too lazy to not take the chance.
And it shall be an awesome copout.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

WojtekPod

The comic is getting more and more interesting - I am waiting eagerly for the next one.

I've got a feeling that this is going to be memorable, and not only because of the 1000 number.  :mowsmile

insidexml

The suspense! I can't wait to see who it is.

Or what it is. :U
"My existence is comprised of somebody else's delusions. It's the exact opposite of the past. How completely ironic."

-Baroquemonger

"Humans that tried to trespass on God's domain, and a god that simply appeared in the realm of humans. Which of these is more sinful?"

bradypodidae

Whoever it is invading (controlling?) Dan's dream, I would seriously suspect a stern "embrace your Cubi side" and take your lessons NOW lecture is in the play.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Buhamet

Hmmmmmmmm, awesomely interesting

is it possible that Abel could be secretly altering Dan's dream, perhaps? so he wants to learn to be a Cubi?

just bouncing an idea into here. Probably too early to say if it's likely, but it's just a theory

Garsemor

It's not Abel because he has a Warp-aci on his hands and according to Fi page 697 Abel never changes his base form, except in that moment in which he was sort of forced.

Arroyo Milori

Quote from: Garsemor on May 09, 2009, 05:11:54 PM
It's not Abel because he has a Warp-aci on his hands and according to Fi page 697 Abel never changes his base form, except in that moment in which he was sort of forced.
Not to mention, Cubi have limited control of the dream and can only make minor adjustments, so I don't think making Cyra appear in Dan's dream counts as a minor adjustment.

Tezkat

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on May 09, 2009, 05:16:33 PM
Not to mention, Cubi have limited control of the dream and can only make minor adjustments, so I don't think making Cyra appear in Dan's dream counts as a minor adjustment.

Well... :shapeshifters

Presumably, they can exert some control over how they appear in other people's dreams. Abel doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who would take such an indirect route, mind you.
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

JackTheCubiWolf

I think it's D (can't spell her name right) and we should have a count down party for the 1000 comic. I got the soda.
I'm back, and tired.

Caswin

Shut up, Regina.  Granted, that's a very interesting remark about Mab, but even though I actually said the same thing about Dark Pegasus a while back, Regina's claims here have even less substance.  And if that's just Dan's subconscious talking, then Dan's subconscious isn't being especially rational right now.  Which is admittedly not surprising, all things considered.  Good to see (judging by panel two) that he doesn't seem to be buying it either way.  Great eyebrows there.

By the same token, I really like panel four.  "Huh?  What's that?  Something more interesting than Regina sneering at me?"
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Arcblade

Ooh... me wants next comic.  This is looking like it's gonna be good...

Aisha deCabre

I'm with those people who are betting on either Cyra or Destania.  Granted it has to be something regarding his 'Cubi heritage, as we see the headwings appearing on his head as if suddenly on his sword's reflection.

Probably leaning more towards Cyra, because if you're going to have someone appear for page 1000, more than likely it may be someone that will -greatly- impress.  >:3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Cvstos

Whoever it is, the art for this page is fantastic, especially that last panel.

Edit: Just thought of something. Who's going to do that voice in the radio project? You'd need an epic voice or a lot of smart audio filters/enhancers.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Tapewolf

My guess is on Cyra.  If Siar can tell her clan that she requires their aid, the idea that Cyra may be able to have two-way communications with Dan is hardly farfetched.
Also, Dan is asleep and therefore liable to be more receptive to this kind of telepathic communication than in his waking state.

Of course, it could be all a dream and nothing more - but I very much doubt it.

**EDIT**
Quote from: Cvstos on May 09, 2009, 05:39:42 PM
Edit: Just thought of something. Who's going to do that voice in the radio project? You'd need an epic voice or a lot of smart audio filters/enhancers.
Reverse reverb.  But - assuming they are female - the role deserves a good VA for it.

That blue thing in the last panel - it may just be a curtain, but the way it's textured is making me think of a dog's tail.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

WojtekPod

I agree it is most likely Cyra - Dan's dream reminds me a bit of Abel's dream - 'Cubi race is known for their dream manipulation.

Thank you Amber for a great strip!  :mowhappy

Kenway975

I'm leaning towards Cyra. First off, the unknown person will be revealed on page 1000. That would help influence it to someone both new and impressive. Second, while this is an assumption, I find it logical to believe that dream surfing is limited in range. If my assumption is true, than unless Destania showed up at Lost Lake (or if there is an increase in range if the target of dream surfing is related), then it would not be Destania. Third, just the phrasing of the words is wrong in my opinion for it to be Destania. How many mothers would talk like that? Also to me the phrasing of the words would indicate to someone Dan does not know.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on May 09, 2009, 05:38:50 PM

Granted it has to be something regarding his 'Cubi heritage, as we see the headwings appearing on his head as if suddenly on his sword's reflection.

<smacks self with wet haddock>

I never noticed that. I know the surprise of seeing his mother again might be enough to shock Dan into losing control of his headwing-hiding, but Cyra herself — even if only in a dream — would be a whole new level of different. Even if he doesn't realise at first who she is, she's still his clan founder, and one of the main sources of Dan's own powers and abilities. Remember, we know almost nothing about what a tri-wing can do. I think we're about to find out, at least a little bit.

Roll on tomorrow...   ;)
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Tapewolf

Quote from: WojtekPod on May 09, 2009, 05:56:09 PM
I agree it is most likely Cyra - Dan's dream reminds me a bit of Abel's dream - 'Cubi race is known for their dream manipulation.

However, they usually need to be present.  That either means that someone's broken in (Fa'Lina?  Dee?), it's someone already present (Abel) or it's someone who can do this without being present - and Cyra, being linked to him already - is the obvious choice there.

Any one of these people could have created an imaginary 'Cubi to act as their avatar (like ghost-Devin) which could explain the flowery language.  Since Dee doesn't believe it's safe to appear in her native form, she is a viable candidate.  Abel hates disguising himself and is presently trying to deal with whatever Fi is doing (as someone mentioned).  That basically leaves Dee, Fa'Lina and Cyra as almost the only cast members who have the means to do this and a vested interest in Dan's wellbeing.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Madmann135

somehow Dan looks more badassey awesome today.
I think Cyra is going to teach Dan a few things while he sleeps.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.