04/16/09 [Abel 2 #52] - Completely Average

Started by Tsunari, April 17, 2009, 03:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsunari

So apparently, Aniz started out completely average wonder where he went insane.

Baal Hadad

And how....

Seriously, did not expect to be laughing at a visual representation of ANIZ....   :erk

He scared the heck out of me when I first read Chapter 1....

Feather Dancer

I still love Siar and I really must colour that sketch I did.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Teh_Hobo

Huh. So there was (is?) a war between dragons and ALL cubi. I was under the impression that it was just Cyra the dragons were after.
And indeed, that is not how i expected to see Aniz.
One week in air, two weeks in water, two weeks in water, eight weeks in ground.

Jer-oh-me

This is probably gonna derail the topic big time, if anyone else thinks the mental images I got with this odd train of thought, but I imagined Aniz saying the 'I am a Walrus' line from Breakfast Club, then thought... Cue Walrus Cubi, cue him being pissed. Then went on to imagine said Walrus Cubi wearing a 'No Fat Chicks' T-shirt a la Peter Griffin, carrying a bucket, or wearing one on his head, or saying "They Took My Bucket!" or something. Zedd helped with that last part. Oddly I now want to see Amber's take on a Walrus Cubi.

PinkKitty

Well... That sums up nicely why Abel likes hanging around Jyrras. Jy's habit of wallowing is self-pity must be like a free feast to Abel in some ways (aside from Jy being so easy to tease, which is obviously another reason Abel likes to be around him).

The fact that Amber used a kangaroo rat as the example in this comic is like she really wants us to make that connection... although I could still easily be mistaken. =n.n=;

Turnsky

i can see Siar's clan being tax collectors, government employees that deal directly with people, bankers, and repo.  >:3

well, you did say misery...  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Jer-oh-me

Quote from: Turnsky on April 17, 2009, 03:51:20 AM
i can see Siar's clan being tax collectors, government employees that deal directly with people, bankers, and repo.  >:3

How about...

Chiropractors?

Turnsky

Quote from: Jer-oh-me on April 17, 2009, 04:14:35 AM

How about...

Chiropractors?

Dentists.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Zedd

Quote from: Turnsky on April 17, 2009, 04:16:04 AM
Quote from: Jer-oh-me on April 17, 2009, 04:14:35 AM

How about...

Chiropractors?

Dentists.
I hate you more now :<

Tapewolf

Quote from: Teh_Hobo on April 17, 2009, 03:21:01 AM
Huh. So there was (is?) a war between dragons and ALL cubi. I was under the impression that it was just Cyra the dragons were after.
That may be the case now, but I have heard that that dragons wanted to be rid of the whole 'Cubi race.  If the war as a whole has died down, it may be that Cyra's clan is some kind of rogue faction.

It's unverifiable and may be misinformation but it's been rumoured that the Dragons were somehow responsible for creating the 'Cubi race by accident and have been trying to 'correct' that mistake ever since.

QuoteAnd indeed, that is not how i expected to see Aniz.
Quite.  Maybe we'll find out what made him lose it.  I'd like to think he eventually recovers, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

...I still wonder whether the fact that Siar did well out of the Dragon War is in some way related to Destania's ire towards Aniz.

If it's all done via messaging spheres, it ain't going to work.  Except the repo man, and even that might be doable remotely.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

joshofspam

So consoling a widow is one way to feed for Abel's clan. :erk

Well it helps the widow while they get a free meal out of it. Even if they help the person their feeding on it's still feeding on the initial sorrow of someone.

But it strange that Aniz would do some of the things he did at May's suggestion to go to the demon city. Was it for Abel, May, or the both of them?

It's just kind of hard to get a read on Aniz's motives their.  
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on April 17, 2009, 04:27:00 AM
So consoling a widow is one way to feed for Abel's clan. :erk

Well it helps the widow while they get a free meal out of it. Even if they help the person their feeding on it's still feeding on the initial sorrow of someone.

I forgot to mention that I thought the clergyman guy there was kind of cool, if a bit sinister.  Curiously we haven't yet seen a particularly colourful member of Siar clan.  Most of them seem to take after natural colours, wings excepted of course.

Now, another thing I forgot to mention was that if you look at the silhouettes in the top panel, they have a mix of headwings.  Some are batlike.  I guess the reason Aniz was so ecstatic about Abel's weird appearance compared to the rest of the clan members we've seen is something we have yet to learn.

QuoteBut it strange that Aniz would do some of the things he did at May's suggestion to go to the demon city. Was it for Abel, May, or the both of them?
First thing that springs to mind is that things would have got rather ugly for his project if they'd split up.

EDIT:

Quote from: PinkKitty on April 17, 2009, 03:46:20 AM
Well... That sums up nicely why Abel likes hanging around Jyrras. Jy's habit of wallowing is self-pity must be like a free feast to Abel in some ways (aside from Jy being so easy to tease, which is obviously another reason Abel likes to be around him).

Interesting, but that doesn't explain why he has been so consistently eager to stop Dan from being miserable.

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Fa'LinaHe was completely average for his age.
A troublemaker, rebellious teen, I see.

"Look at him, causing joy and laughter.  That kid will come to no good, I tell you."

With regards,
Ted

Noone

This strip kind of makes me wonder how clan Siar was hunted down to extinction. If they managed to increase in power during the dragon wars, an even which, I take it caused a lot of clans to become weaker, how did they end up losing it all?
Obviously, a lot of things could have happened in between present comic date and the war. Still, I figure if they were one of the more powerful clans. I suppose since Aniz and Abel don't have wing-heads, something might have happened to Siar, and likely being an unpopular clan, they were soon nearly exterminated afterward. Still, it seems a bit odd for a powerful clan to deteriorate so.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... They attacked Fa'Lina's clan. You think possibly she might have done something about that?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: The1Kobra on April 17, 2009, 07:10:34 AM
This strip kind of makes me wonder how clan Siar was hunted down to extinction. If they managed to increase in power during the dragon wars, an even which, I take it caused a lot of clans to become weaker, how did they end up losing it all?

We may find out, since Fa'Lina seems to be giving a potted history of the clan.

EDIT:

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 17, 2009, 07:37:22 AM
... They attacked Fa'Lina's clan. You think possibly she might have done something about that?

They didn't think much of her ideals, but I'm not sure we know that they actually attacked her outright.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 17, 2009, 07:38:38 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 17, 2009, 07:37:22 AM
They didn't think much of her ideals, but I'm not sure we know that they actually attacked her outright.

"Anything except save your own clan from genocide"
"Always have to try to save us all, one by one... I'm sorry that my clan took that as a sign of weakness."
   (here and here)

Hrm. Okay, I grant you it's not specific, but those two are fairly indicative, wouldn't you say? "Genocide" doesn't absolutely require an attack, but still...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 17, 2009, 07:54:33 AM
"Anything except save your own clan from genocide"
"Always have to try to save us all, one by one... I'm sorry that my clan took that as a sign of weakness."

Hrm. Okay, I grant you it's not specific, but those two are fairly indicative, wouldn't you say? "Genocide" doesn't absolutely require an attack, but still...

I read it as them not helping (or maybe pointing and laughing) rather than actively working against Fa'Lina's clan.  Anyway, just because Aniz knows what happened to her clan doesn't necessarily mean that his clan was involved.

Alondro

Gotta say it.  The career that would cause the most misery?

Lawyers.

:P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Corgatha Taldorthar

Does anyone else seem to think that this juxtaposition implies that the Cubi-Dragon war was fairly recent, at least of the time of Abel's strip? Do we have any idea how long SAIA has been there?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

tiggertoo

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on April 17, 2009, 09:11:07 AM
Does anyone else seem to think that this juxtaposition implies that the Cubi-Dragon war was fairly recent, at least of the time of Abel's strip? Do we have any idea how long SAIA has been there?

Something like over 7,000 years, I think. Dee went there as a young cubi (Fa'lina compares Dan to her at the same age) and Dee's supposed to be about that old, IIRC.

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

SAIA was founded approximately 7000 years prior to present-day DMFA.  This was when the Clan War was at it's height - whether this is the same event or an offshoot of the Dragon War is not currently clear.  It has been suggested that the Dragons sparked it in an attempt to get the Clans to exterminate each other thus doing their dirty work for them, but this is speculation.

Pagan

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 17, 2009, 04:40:59 AM
Curiously we haven't yet seen a particularly colourful member of Siar clan.  Most of them seem to take after natural colours, wings excepted of course.

Says the man who's most colourful Creature is Daryil. And that's just what he wears!
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on April 17, 2009, 09:42:43 AM
Says the man who's most colourful Creature is Daryil. And that's just what he wears!

Actually, it was my own failings that prompted me to raise that point...

Pagan

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 17, 2009, 09:45:20 AM
Quote from: Pagan on April 17, 2009, 09:42:43 AM

Actually, it was my own failings that prompted me to raise that point...
I was just teasin' ya. No offense meant.

Personally, if they want to find misery, they should walk on over to a college campus. They'd get filled there.
I think it's probable that this is at about the last panel is about four hundred and forty years ago. Seeing as Aniz is four hundred and sixty-four, even if he doesn't act like it.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: tiggertoo on April 17, 2009, 09:27:23 AM

Something like over 7,000 years, I think. Dee went there as a young cubi (Fa'lina compares Dan to her at the same age) and Dee's supposed to be about that old, IIRC.

Fa'Lina could have known Destania before she founded SAIA.......... There is no reason to have to connect the two events.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on April 17, 2009, 10:00:51 AM
Fa'Lina could have known Destania before she founded SAIA.......... There is no reason to have to connect the two events.

I don't know if they knew each other before, but Destania was approximately Dan's age when she was sent to SAIA.  Unwillingly, if Fa'Lina's speech in 489 is true.

Quote from: Pagan on April 17, 2009, 09:52:06 AM
I was just teasin' ya. No offense meant.
None taken.