03/19/09 [Abel 2 #49] - Revenge is a dish best served by a hot Sucubus

Started by Jairus, March 19, 2009, 01:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Ah, so the student did betray the master... or at least in Destania's eyes. Wow. I guess we can really discount that theory that they secretly had the hots for each other. But that speech of hers... it's really kinda creepy.

Also, Abel's face is awesome. Why am I laughing?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'm not sure why you're laughing.

But then again, I'm tired and cranky. I'm sure there is some subtext to this conversation. I don't have proof, but my gut is telling me that Destania is really talking to Fa'Lina through Abel here. What she's trying to say though, is past me at the moment. I'm going to sleep on it.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Indy

Creepy, maybe, but also very telling. Abel obviously did not stay out of her way, judging by #734, so he must have taken up her offer at some point. I'm connecting this all the way back to #297... Maybe, 26 years ago, she and Abel left to finish off Aniz, but Abel chickened out and left her alone to fight off-his-rocker Aniz. I don't know think his doing Destania too much damage is very likely, but it would explain why Abel would owe a debt to Edward Ti'Fiona... He might have saved his teacher when Abel abandoned her.

Hi there. Delurking for the third time... don't mind me. Also, tell me if none of that makes sense. I'm so tired my hands are shaking.  :U

edit: can't read, sorry

Teh_Hobo

Hmm. Personal theory here. I'm thinking that Abel will go along with Destania, and attempt to destroy Aniz. However, Destania will probably do things that cross a line for Abel, or he will discover that while he despises Aniz, he doesn't to destroy him. At least not completely, like Destania seems to want.
Also, Abels face did make me laugh, but then the creepiness of that speech set in.
One week in air, two weeks in water, two weeks in water, eight weeks in ground.

Feather Dancer

The code is [url.=Some random link here]And text here.[/url.] without the dots breaking it :)

I'm gonna agree with maybe Dee went for a line that Abel wasn't willing to cross, he's seen so many friends killed in a very short space of time so it wouldn't surprisse if the need for revenge meshed then with a never wanting to see it again at some point in his life. That or there was blood and that screwed him over...

Tis gonna be an interesting one.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Feather Dancer on March 19, 2009, 04:10:17 AM
I'm gonna agree with maybe Dee went for a line that Abel wasn't willing to cross,

I'm thinking he maybe figured that while Aniz is/was a right bastard, losing his soul is going way too far for what she did.

There are two things which just scream at me from this strip:

1.  Why the hell is she on payroll?  She makes Aniz seem quite sensible by comparison.  Destania might be the best pain and terror instructor in all Furrae, but if it were me running the Academy, she'd be out the door.  Or dead (and that's not something I usually prescribe).  That kind of vendetta against a former student is gross professional misconduct as far as I'm concerned.

Fa'Lina:  "...and this semester you'll be taking 'Introduction to Pain and Terror' as taught by Professor Destania..."
Student: "What?  Are you insane!?"
Fa'Lina: "You need to.  It matches your clan affinity."
Student: "Get real... I know all about her!  She eats her former students!  If you think I'm going to risk my very soul over a set of stupid grades you've got another think coming!"

2. Why in all Furrae did Aniz leave?  Fa'Lina's offer was tantamount to protection and/or mediation.  Even Destania would never dare to murder a student within the Academy.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 19, 2009, 05:20:00 AM
1.  Why the hell is she on payroll?  She makes Aniz seem quite sensible by comparison.  Destania might be the best pain and terror instructor in all Furrae, but if it were me running the Academy, she'd be out the door.  Or dead (and that's not something I usually prescribe).  That kind of vendetta against a former student is gross professional misconduct as far as I'm concerned.

And for all your misgivings and comments that students would flee from her and that she should be killed, I would stake that there is equally as many students who would fall over themselves for the chance to learn the same sorts of terrifying skills from such a powerful and talented (in her pain and terror department) succubus. Cubi fall all over the moral scale from good to evil, remember? Nor does Furrae or the Creatures in general have to prescribe to the same codes of moral conduct as Beings or indeed, the real world.

And unlike our plot-relevant Fa'lina, you are not locally omniscient. Knowing what the best outcome is does not mean getting there will be an easy, or even kind journey.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on March 19, 2009, 05:41:08 AM
For all your misgivings and comments that students would flee from her and that she should be killed, I would stake that there is equally as many students who would fall over themselves for the chance to learn the same sorts of terrifying skills from such a powerful and talented (in her pain and terror department) succubus.

That may be, but it's one hell of a gamble.  Would you risk being destroyed more completely than death because you failed to live up to her standards or otherwise upset her?  I don't know the specifics of what Aniz did, but that did may not matter so much as the rumours.

QuoteCubi fall all over the moral scale from good to evil, remember? Nor does Furrae or the Creatures in general have to prescribe to the same codes of moral conduct as Beings or indeed, the real world.

My moral judgements are optional to the argument.  If you prefer, think of it in terms of self-preservation where the students are concerned.

The other point is that the Academy is (supposedly) set up to nurture the 'Cubi race, not eat them.  As I understand it getting the rival clans to have their young meet under one roof was itself a major undertaking - if Destania is allowed to run wild, rivals of Cyra clan are liable to think twice about sending their kids there, IMHO.

QuoteAnd unlike our plot-relevant Fa'lina, you are not locally omniscient. Knowing what the best outcome is does not mean getting there will be an easy, or even kind journey.
Very true.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 19, 2009, 05:56:09 AM
My moral judgements are optional to the argument.  If you prefer, think of it in terms of self-preservation where the students are concerned.

I think he was speaking about the moral judgements of the students, not yours. Not that it changes your argument, mind.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Janus Whitefurr

That may be, but it's one hell of a gamble.  Would you risk being destroyed more completely than death because you failed to live up to her standards or otherwise upset her?  I don't know the specifics of what Aniz did, but that did may not matter so much as the rumours.

The other point is that the Academy is (supposedly) set up to nurture the 'Cubi race, not eat them.  As I understand it getting the rival clans to have their young meet under one roof was itself a major undertaking - if Destania is allowed to run wild, rivals of Cyra clan are liable to think twice about sending their kids there, IMHO.

Why would the majority of the students worry about that? You are being presumptuous that Destania would destroy any and all students who failed to meet her expectations. The idea of the rumour mill is also a dangerous one - so she has a plan to utterly destroy and annihilate Aniz. This happens, no doubt, -outside- the Academy, in a -very- wide open world. Playing the odds is dangerous, but what are the chances of random word of mouth getting back to everyone she teaches saying "he used to be her student, Destania is going to kill us all, RUN!"? Not all students are pure shining examples of moral goodness - we've covered that.

Destania isn't 'running wild' by any stretch of the imagination. Here we have a single contained incident with the details of her plans -  the individuals present are her, Abel, and Fa'lina. The way you phrased it (really, the term 'running wild' is not one that implies smart thinking or even sensible action), one would think she's telling everyone how she plans to utterly murder/crush/kill/destroy Aniz, which is not very -subtle-. Again, you seem to assume that word of this will somehow get back to everyone else (ie, families outside the Academy)

And if your own moral judgements were optional, you could have done with less "I would have done (x)" commentary at the start of your contemplations. It tends to colour the rest of your argument.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 19, 2009, 06:12:19 AM
I think he was speaking about the moral judgements of the students, not yours. Not that it changes your argument, mind.
Ah.  In that case he may have a point.  I still think it's not a risk I'd be willing to take, but then again, I'm not a 'Cubi.

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on March 19, 2009, 06:18:58 AM
Why would the majority of the students worry about that? You are being presumptuous that Destania would destroy any and all students who failed to meet her expectations.
Personally I don't believe she would, but it's something I can easily see going around as a rumour, if only to mess with new students.

QuoteThe idea of the rumour mill is also a dangerous one - so she has a plan to utterly destroy and annihilate Aniz. This happens, no doubt, -outside- the Academy, in a -very- wide open world. Playing the odds is dangerous, but what are the chances of random word of mouth getting back to everyone she teaches saying "he used to be her student, Destania is going to kill us all, RUN!"? Not all students are pure shining examples of moral goodness - we've covered that.

True, but she's stated that it's her intention and basic reason to Abel now and everyone else within earshot.  That the deed (if it happens) will occur outside is secondary, if you're arguing that it propagates from a witness outside.  Maybe the thrust of your argument is that no-one will know if she succeeds, but if she's that obsessive about it, I doubt any success would remain a secret IMHO.

QuoteDestania isn't 'running wild' by any stretch of the imagination. Here we have a single contained incident with the details of her plans -  the individuals present are her, Abel, and Fa'lina.
Unless they have been walking down the corridor - which may indeed be the case - they're just outside a common room full of students.  If not then yes, I concur.

EDIT:  Then again, Aniz must know.  I can imagine him telling people what she has in store for him.

QuoteThe way you phrased it (really, the term 'running wild' is not one that implies smart thinking or even sensible action), one would think she's telling everyone how she plans to utterly murder/crush/kill/destroy Aniz, which is not very -subtle-.
I'm not sure subtlety is a key aspect of what she's doing at the moment.  Though of course I'm trying to second-guess someone who would have 6600 years of experience at manipulating people, which is probably not a good idea.

QuoteAgain, you seem to assume that word of this will somehow get back to everyone else (ie, families outside the Academy)
Students don't stay in the Academy forever.  I'll agree that if the clans are isolated, as seems likely, word-of-mouth is not going to work particularly well.

QuoteAnd if your own moral judgements were optional, you could have done with less "I would have done (x)" commentary at the start of your contemplations. It tends to colour the rest of your argument.
True.

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

inuhanyo

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 19, 2009, 05:20:00 AM
Quote from: Feather Dancer on March 19, 2009, 04:10:17 AM
I'm gonna agree with maybe Dee went for a line that Abel wasn't willing to cross,

I'm thinking he maybe figured that while Aniz is/was a right bastard, losing his soul is going way too far for what she did.

There are two things which just scream at me from this strip:

Fa'Lina:  "...and this semester you'll be taking 'Introduction to Pain and Terror' as taught by Professor Destania..."
Student: "What?  Are you insane!?"
Fa'Lina: "You need to.  It matches your clan affinity."
Student: "Get real... I know all about her!  She eats her former students!  If you think I'm going to risk my very soul over a set of stupid grades you've got another think coming!"

Shomehow, I don't think Destania is all "...he betrayed me. So I intend to destroy him." over schoolwork.  Just because Aniz was once Destania's pupil doesn't give him pass on what he does later.

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 19, 2009, 07:58:25 AM
Shomehow, I don't think Destania is all "...he betrayed me. So I intend to destroy him." over schoolwork.  Just because Aniz was once Destania's pupil doesn't give him pass on what he does later.
Quite.  I'll be the first to admit that we have no idea what he did.  Most of my arguments are actually about appearances and how it might go around the Academy as a rumour rather than absolute facts.

Also, since some people seem to be taking that dialogue of mine literally, I guess I should point out that it was intended as a slightly tongue-in-cheek example of what might possibly happen.  Specifically, if it did happen, Fa'Lina would likely paper over the cracks, which isn't in the dialogue.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 19, 2009, 08:04:25 AM
Quote from: inuhanyo on March 19, 2009, 07:58:25 AM
Quite.  I'll be the first to admit that we have no idea what he did.  Most of my arguments are actually about appearances and how it might go around the Academy as a rumour rather than absolute facts.

Also, since some people seem to be taking that dialogue of mine literally, I guess I should point out that it was intended as a slightly tongue-in-cheek example of what might possibly happen.  Specifically, if it did happen, Fa'Lina would likely paper over the cracks, which isn't in the dialogue.

either way, if Dee does misbehave.. she might get this..

*kaff* Me? take things seriously, surely you jest!.

Draken

Poodle of doom, eh?

OK, I know Abel has just been through a LOT, but how long is this Heroic BSOD gonna last?  We're on, what, 50 or strips and counting? 

(Personally, I would not be surprised if it lasts the rest of this chapter)

Destania proves a lot of theories wrong, and just as many right, when she says Aniz betrayed her.  Question is how.  The obvious would be that he did something to someone that he was not "supposed" to.....but....
Is it not possible that Destania, even being 7000+ yrs of age, began to trust the guy somehow?  And gave a bit more info that she would have normally?.....And said info getting about to the wrong person?
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Sunblink

I get the feeling Destania is twisting her story around to make herself seem more sympathetic - or rather, more like a victim, as opposed to the instigator of her and Aniz's feud. Chances are Abel's going to discover something horrible about her in the future which gave him this mindset.

Also, TURNSKY! That sketch nearly made me choke on my laughter. I OUGHTA SUE YOU. >:[

Mao

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 19, 2009, 09:21:09 AM
I get the feeling Destania is twisting her story around to make herself seem more sympathetic - or rather, more like a victim, as opposed to the instigator of her and Aniz's feud. Chances are Abel's going to discover something horrible about her in the future which gave him this mindset.
I dunno, given the look on Aniz's face when he asks if Destania is still at the academy, I think he's done something pretty rotten to her too.  Despite the nasty nature of the woman, Destania doesn't strike me as the evil manipulative type.  She's pretty upfront with her hatreds it seems and is, ultimately focused on doing what she thinks is best.  Even if that does happen to be genocide.  That said, given her nasty nature, I'm pretty sure she's going to do and has done plenty of horrible things that will give Abel that mindset.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 19, 2009, 09:21:09 AM
Also, TURNSKY! That sketch nearly made me choke on my laughter. I OUGHTA SUE YOU. >:[

You Americans and your suing things.  Yeesh.  WHY DON'T YOU SOLVE IT WITH HIM LIKE A MAN?  >:O

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 19, 2009, 09:29:45 AM
You Americans and your suing things.  Yeesh.  WHY DON'T YOU SOLVE IT WITH HIM LIKE A MAN?  >:O
Because she's not a man?   :3

Mao

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 19, 2009, 09:31:50 AM
Because she's not a man?   :3

Doesn't mean she can't solve it like one.  Are you trying to say that women can't do things that men can do Tape?  Sexist.

Also, I know she's not.  So before anyone decides to go all incredulous fanboi on me lets get that out of the way.  Also, dude is a term that can be applied to any gender where I come from, so don't get your undies in a knot when I inevitably call her one.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 19, 2009, 09:33:47 AM
Doesn't mean she can't solve it like one.  Are you trying to say that women can't do things that men can do Tape.  Sexist.

How about because she's thousands of miles away from Turnsky?  Is that better?

Actually a pic of Luke and Keaton brawling might be interesting to see.

Sunblink

I dunno, given the look on Aniz's face when he asks if Destania is still at the academy, I think he's done something pretty rotten to her too.  Despite the nasty nature of the woman, Destania doesn't strike me as the evil manipulative type.  She's pretty upfront with her hatreds it seems and is, ultimately focused on doing what she thinks is best.  Even if that does happen to be genocide.  That said, given her nasty nature, I'm pretty sure she's going to do and has done plenty of horrible things that will give Abel that mindset.

That's what I'm trying to say. Destania is probably "conveniently neglecting" to tell Abel what she has done to Aniz in order to make her seem like the victim. Although she might not typically be manipulative, she might lose a golden opportunity in the form of Abel's assistance if she included that part of her story.

But that too. :B

Hey! If a woman can sue a bunch of girl scouts (EDIT: actually, I forgot, they weren't girl scouts; it was just a goodwill gesture) for leaving cookies on her doorstep, then I can damn well sue Turnsky for drawing a hilarious picture! >:O

Draken

Given the sugar and fat content of those cookies, not to mention the price tag, I can understand WHY she sued, eh?

Now, we don't see any reaction from fa'lina yet (what can we expect anyways?  9 times outta ten sh'e's faking her expression), but one has to wonder what the heck she's thinking. 

Further, anyone know her favorite type of muffin?
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Pagan

Oh yeah? Well, I've a problem with you, Mao. And I will solve it like a man! I'll see you in court!

</joking>
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Mao

Either way, I'm not sure Destania is hiding anything.  I think she's being perfectly upfront here.  It doesn't really serve her purpose to deceive Abel.

Quote from: Pagan on March 19, 2009, 09:40:08 AM

Oh yeah? Well, I've a problem with you, Mao. And I will solve it like a man! I'll see you in court!

</joking>

Oh yeah?  Well, men in Canada only solve things one way....

Seriously man why you gotta be like that?  Here, sit down, have a beer with me and we'll talk it over.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 19, 2009, 09:33:47 AM
Also, I know she's not.
I figured.  Some people have mistaken her for a guy, though...

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 19, 2009, 09:36:02 AM
That's what I'm trying to say. Destania is probably "conveniently neglecting" to tell Abel what she has done to Aniz in order to make her seem like the victim.
I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 19, 2009, 09:42:11 AM
Seriously man why you gotta be like that?  Here, sit down, have a beer with me and we'll talk it over.

Isn't he underage for the US?

Turnsky

Hey! If a woman can sue a bunch of girl scouts (EDIT: actually, I forgot, they weren't girl scouts; it was just a goodwill gesture) for leaving cookies on her doorstep, then I can damn well sue Turnsky for drawing a hilarious picture! >:O

i have my moments.  :U

Mao

Quote from: Turnsky on March 19, 2009, 09:43:55 AM

i have my moments.  :U

That's me after a Turnsky moment.  *nodnods*  :3