12/17/08 [DMFA #957] - Minor scuffle

Started by Tapewolf, December 17, 2008, 04:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

If that's a minor scuffle, I'd hate to see a major one.  Either that's some weird cavity wall insulation or the wall's melted.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'd vote for cavity insulation.

After all, it's called "pink batts" for a reason...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 17, 2008, 04:17:14 AM
I'd vote for cavity insulation.  After all, it's called "pink batts" for a reason...
I've only ever seen white stuff.

superluser

It's good to see that Pyro is well-acquainted with the handyman's secret weapon (as well as Amber).

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's often pink or yellow.

Roof insulation is often white, but wall insulation...

... Actually, thinking about it, I've only seen roof insulation over here in the Yuk, whereas the cavity wall insulation I've seen in NZ, but not over here...

So, er, yeah. Might be something to do with where you get it. ;-]

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 17, 2008, 04:28:25 AMIt's often pink or yellow.

Roof insulation is often white, but wall insulation...

At least here in the States, Owens-Corning advertises quite heavily for their insulation, which is pink (and uses the Pink Panther as a mascot).

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

On another note, it sounds like Amber may be on the right track with her plan of curling up and sleeping.

Naldru

Two thoughts:

I'm a little surprised that Jyrras noticed that Alexsi had changed dresses.  Men aren't known for that.  Of course, when living with a female half-demon, that might count as survival skills.

The fact that Alexsi's dress was damaged implies that she was involved in the scuffle.  The other individual might have tried getting fresh with Alexsi or skipping out on a bill.  In which case, he might be in the hospital.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Naldru on December 17, 2008, 05:56:33 AM
In which case, he might be in the hospital.

Flip a coin - it's either there or the morgue. ;-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 17, 2008, 07:08:30 AM
That's really going to help business.

James StarRunner

RedGreen quote for the win!

But... Who would want to fight with Alexi? Even Abel's scared of her!

Janus Whitefurr

I'm a little surprised that Jyrras noticed that Alexsi had changed dresses.  Men aren't known for that.  Of course, when living with a female half-demon, that might count as survival skills.

"I repeat. Six sisters."
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agencyâ„¢. And possibly spy cameras.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2008, 07:09:22 AM

Someone who isn't paying isn't doing business, they're scamming. Or stealing, depending on how blunt one wishes to be...

I'll admit there is the issue of reputation of the Inn, and repeat business of _other_ customers, but, honestly, it boils down to a fairly simple agreement. As long as you stick to the agreement, there's no problem at all...

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on December 17, 2008, 07:30:23 AM
"I repeat. Six sisters."
Six older sisters to boot.

Also, it took me some time to realize that Pyro was standing in front of a hole in the wall.

Quote from: James StarRunner on December 17, 2008, 07:20:57 AM
But... Who would want to fight with Alexi? Even Abel's scared of her!
Well, maybe they didn't know Alexi. :.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 17, 2008, 07:41:43 AM
I'll admit there is the issue of reputation of the Inn, and repeat business of _other_ customers, but, honestly, it boils down to a fairly simple agreement. As long as you stick to the agreement, there's no problem at all...

"He didn't pay" probably won't get you off a murder rap.  If Furrae is lawless enough that it does, you'd probably have a bounty on your head from the relatives of the deceased...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2008, 08:13:18 AM
"He didn't pay" probably won't get you off a murder rap.  If Furrae is lawless enough that it does, you'd probably have a bounty on your head from the relatives of the deceased...

Oh, picky picky.

"He refused to pay, then attacked me when pressed for payment, so it was in self defense, and everyone in the restaurant will back me on that." likely will, though.

Hey, it works for the Mafia. And you can bet that if I was in the Inn, I'd be more than willing to back her. Or else... ;-]

Slightly less on a tangent, the other option is that it's funnier this way. And that's just plain good storytelling...

Edit:
Actually, it suddenly occurs to me that Amber would have him in the Morgue. It would only become apparent three strips later that he's in the morgue because he's an orderly or something there... ;-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 17, 2008, 08:22:49 AM
Hey, it works for the Mafia. And you can bet that if I was in the Inn, I'd be more than willing to back her. Or else... ;-]
I wonder if you can hire 'Cubi or other thought-readers for legal testimony?

Noone

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2008, 08:46:39 AM
I wonder if you can hire 'Cubi or other thought-readers for legal testimony?
Assuming there are enough Cubi in society to make that possible, and that they're accepted enough to do that as well (aka Merlitz's group hunting Cubi makes me think that they're not well liked), a Cubi would probably need a warrant to grant legal testimony(Which assumes Furrae has illegal search laws...). Still, it's certainly a possibility.

Tapewolf

Quote from: The1Kobra on December 17, 2008, 08:51:19 AM
Assuming there are enough Cubi in society to make that possible, and that they're accepted enough to do that as well (aka Merlitz's group hunting Cubi makes me think that they're not well liked)
I suspect other Creatures can do it with the right spells, just not as a natural trait.  Otherwise, with 'Cubi being a rare breed, why bother learning to shield your mind against them?

llearch n'n'daCorna

If you're hunting them, rare or otherwise, you're probably going to find them, no?

Mao

Hey, while we're at it, why don't we look at the social and political implications of having creatures that are genetically superior to another in the same system, and while we're at it we can assess the potential economical impact this would have.

Ooh oh!  Or we could just enjoy the strip.  Either or.  Friggen nerds. :P

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 17, 2008, 09:00:58 AM
If you're hunting them, rare or otherwise, you're probably going to find them, no?
That's not what I meant.  Amber has said on at least one occasion that adventurers such as Dan would know a few tricks and mental exercises to make their actions harder for a thought-reader to predict.  (Yes, Dan is a 'Cubi, but he learned adventuring the way a Being would)

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 17, 2008, 09:02:39 AM
Ooh oh!  Or we could just enjoy the strip.  Either or.  Friggen nerds. :P
If you can provide some insight into the current strip that has not previously been discussed, you are more than welcome to set us back on topic...

MT Hazard

I noticed the blue feather in Pyros hair. Wasn't there some mention of Dan being very important to him at one point? Could it be a gift, memento or something similar?

Also does it irk anyone else when their post is the last one on a topic before it shuts down?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on December 17, 2008, 09:14:30 AM
I noticed the blue feather in Pyros hair. Wasn't there some mention of Dan being very important to him at one point? Could it be a gift, memento or something similar?
Hmm.  I've not noticed it before.  Indeed, it wasn't in strip 808 which is the last I remember seeing him.  I'd almost say Dan was involved except he's presumably still with Lorenda and Kria.

Mao

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2008, 09:05:39 AM
If you can provide some insight into the current strip that has not previously been discussed, you are more than welcome to set us back on topic...

Whoa, gear down there turbo.  I was just joking.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2008, 09:19:38 AM
Hmm.  I've not noticed it before.  Indeed, it wasn't in strip 808 which is the last I remember seeing him.  I'd almost say Dan was involved except he's presumably still with Lorenda and Kria.

IIRC, it was there when he was doing squat...

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2008, 09:19:38 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on December 17, 2008, 09:14:30 AM
The feather was there as far back as 683 but you don't get to see that part of his hair often so its probably been there all along.

Example of his magical non shapechanging ponytail
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Stig Hemmer

Wild speculation time!  :ipod:  Pyro is actually Edward Ti'Fiona!  That blue feather is one of Destanias.
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

senrath

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 17, 2008, 07:09:22 AM
Bah, people have already heard and seen bad things about Lost Lake.  Throwing someone through the wall wouldn't probably wouldn't hurt their reputation.