07/30/08 [DMFA #927] - Over my head

Started by Tapewolf, July 30, 2008, 06:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Oh dear.  Anna doesn't seem to have come out of this very well.

**EDIT**

DP has grabbed Dan by the front.  Even if he thought he was a maiden before, he probably doesn't now.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

llearch n'n'daCorna

I note that Dan has dropped his weapon.

This is poor planning on his part - if someone picks you up, you use the force of them lifting you to help impale them on your weapon. This is standard procedure.

Particularly in low guard, as Dan was...

... of course, this is Dan we're talking about. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

MT Hazard

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Feather Dancer

So Anna is a slinky plant, interesting. Wondering what her feet look like, assuming she has any.
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

AndersW

My guess is that DP will now blast him with magic, and Dan's robe will protect him.

And he did go for the weapon for a distraction.

Jairus

And finally Dan gets that he had no idea what he's doing! See, he can learn things, he just needs to have them brutally beaten into him with violence!

It's the news post that worries me. I wonder if Amber's ear problems need something a little more intensive.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Toric

And thus Dan learns the hard way that it stinks to lose the element of surprise.

Oh well, it led to a flaw in Dark Pegasus's strategy. He turned his head away from the swamp-thing amazon.
Yap by Silver.

Brunhidden

it has been established that dan went to adventuring school- i would think that NOT screaming to announce your presence when trying to stab from behind would be covered

except unless its heroic, and its usually only heroic if your drawing attention away (not charging) or the villain does not currently have an opponent
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Jairus

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 30, 2008, 09:11:38 AM
it has been established that dan went to adventuring school- i would think that NOT screaming to announce your presence when trying to stab from behind would be covered

Maybe he slept through that particular lesson... most heroes seem to.

Daymond42

Quote from: Jairus on July 30, 2008, 09:14:11 AM

Maybe he slept through that particular lesson... most heroes seem to.

I like to think that he was probably searching the textbook for pictures of amazons. Quite possible.. :)

Alondro

Quote from: Feather Dancer on July 30, 2008, 07:57:22 AM
So Anna is a slinky plant, interesting. Wondering what her feet look like, assuming she has any.

*Charles pervertinates*  She prolly has viney tentacle things... mmmm... hentai material!   :boogie

*Charline  :sweatdrop *  I hate him... so much... Anyway, Dan certainly does look like a typical stupid hero noob with tactics sure to give the bad guy the upper claw.  Of course, that's what we villains planned for by financing the curriculum of adventurer school.   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

tiggertoo

One wonders what the mortality rate for noob adventurers is. Of course, most probably don't instantly get thrown into it nearly as deep as Dan has managed to. Dan has a special talent there.

In the words of a wise old gunfighter: "But, you just shot him in the back!" "His back was to me!" In other words Dan: apply pointy end first and often -- announce your intentions never. And remember: backs and stabbings go together like chocolate and peanut butter, only not so tasty - but still pretty satisfying.  :)

Madmann135

Dan's a good guy, good guys tend to have higher morals than bad guys which means he might have a tendancy to announce attacks.

Me personally if I saw that magic book I would have set that entire side of the room on fire then used the spear as a distraction's distraction. ...or Dan could have plaid the feint attack by shouting then going into a slide to trip up DP. 

but me I would have stabbed him in the back and kept on stabbing without making a sound.  The element of surprise is hard to get but easy to loose.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Mao

except unless its heroic, and its usually only heroic if your drawing attention away (not charging) or the villain does not currently have an opponent

I went to the 'we'd like to win so we can be heroes school', and we've always felt that announcing yourself with either a monologue, battle cry, or any other such disturbance was right out.  Seriously though, the only time in a fight you should be shouting is if they already know that you're there and you think you can intimidate them.

Unless Dan thought he might be able to startle or intimidate DP....bah who knows what goes through the mind of the Ale swilling adventurer... well aside from Amber.

Jairus

Quote from: Madmann135 on July 30, 2008, 10:43:18 AM
Me personally if I saw that magic book I would have set that entire side of the room on fire then used the spear as a distraction's distraction.

Yes, but Dan doesn't like to use magic. Yes, that is what you would have done (Personally, I would have looked for a teleport spell to try and get us out of there before we wound up dead and then raising a group of adventurers to head right back and attack him all at once), but it's not what he would have done. He makes it fairly clear that he hasn't used magic once since the day he and Wildy met. Aside from the enchanted robe and a collection of (probably) magical weapons, this is one guy who uses his physical abilities (why did I just type Evilities?) to get the job done. Albeit, a don't know where a grimoire fits into the whole range of magical abilities and natural talents, but he's also a kid two/three days out of adventuring school, and has a reputation for acting first and thinking later: he's not going to use a dusty old spell book when a shiny new glaive is right next to it. The shouting is just the icing on the cake to emphasize that he's a rookie.

Quote from: Mowser on July 30, 2008, 10:58:36 AM
I went to the 'we'd like to win so we can be heroes school', and we've always felt that announcing yourself with either a monologue, battle cry, or any other such disturbance was right out.  Seriously though, the only time in a fight you should be shouting is if they already know that you're there and you think you can intimidate them.

Rookie mistakes. I can't recall, but didn't Dan more or less try to quietly sneak in the last time they met (i.e. the arc where we met Aaryanna)? And the only time he gave his monologue was when he and Dark Pegasus were preparing for their "final battle."

Hm, I wonder who's going to save their butts?

Lucheek

Hang in there, Dan! Kill DarkPegasus!

LionHeart

If Dan does manage to kill DP at this point, it will probably be by sheer dumb luck...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Zedd

In words of Night Slashers..."You've caught me offguard!"

Aleolus

...Yeah, I think I agree with Dan.  He should have stabbed the spellbook first, then given a battleshout of "Come and get me, if you dare!"

Don

Well, Pegasus is a tank, fighting both of them at once.

I wonder how this'll progress? Will Dan figure something out in time, will Anna manage to get back up and attack...or will Shanna and Alyka come back and unleash hell on Dark Pegasus's room?

Only time will tell...

...is it just me..or did that sound like one of those really old 'to be continued' bits?

lihua

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. " - C.S. Lewis

And indeed Dan does, as he has lived to tell the tale. :3

silentassassin

Quote from: Liwah Forgemaiden on July 30, 2008, 01:01:56 PM
"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. " - C.S. Lewis

And indeed Dan does, as he has lived to tell the tale. :3
Oh good i thought he was a ghost or zombie this whole time.

DarkAudit

Quote from: LionHeart on July 30, 2008, 11:22:19 AM
If Dan does manage to kill DP at this point, it will probably be by sheer dumb luck...

A win is a win.  :eager
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

terrycloth

Quote from: Mowser on July 30, 2008, 10:58:36 AM

Well, intimidate or startle... it's not like DP wouldn't hear him coming anyway. Usually running across the room is the kind of sound that automatically makes you look.

... but yeah, Dan wasn't about to do either, so he should have *tried* for stealth. Or just thrown the spear.

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Talonr

I would figure that DP would only fully turn his attention towards Dan like that if he felt Anna was no longer a threat.  And considering that nice 'crunch' sound she made when she hit the ground, she might be down for the count. D:

My bet is that Aliyka or Shanna show up in a moment.

Aleolus

Quote from: Talonr on July 30, 2008, 03:14:08 PM
I would figure that DP would only fully turn his attention towards Dan like that if he felt Anna was no longer a threat.  And considering that nice 'crunch' sound she made when she hit the ground, she might be down for the count. D:

My bet is that Aliyka or Shanna show up in a moment.

Or both!  I expect that, after fighting for a while, figured out that this was all a big misunderstanding, and are looking for the rest of them even as we speak!

Omega

I know this isn't the first time someone mentions this, but how can a guy this competent die over and over again?

DarkAudit

Quote from: Omega on July 30, 2008, 03:37:49 PM
I know this isn't the first time someone mentions this, but how can a guy this competent die over and over again?

Diminishing skills.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....