14/05/08 [Hybrids #05] - No cute athro dolphins

Started by MT Hazard, May 14, 2008, 06:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Mers are Still good looking with all the spikes.

I could go for some giant lobster..
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Alondro

*Charline feh*  I'm not one for seafood anyway!  ;P  It gives me hives.   :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Raiettei

Giant lobsters and butter.

Sounds like a great time to spend an evening, eh?

PurpleCheeseLlama

Brunhidden

Quote from: PurpleCheeseLlama on May 14, 2008, 06:54:36 PM
The question is; how much butter?

trick it into getting into a bathtub of butter, thats how much
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Zedd

Quote from: Brunhidden on May 14, 2008, 08:10:29 PM
Quote from: PurpleCheeseLlama on May 14, 2008, 06:54:36 PM
The question is; how much butter?

trick it into getting into a bathtub of butter, thats how much
High in fat always does the trick

Jigsaw Forte

Shame, that was a cute Orca Anthro. Love the hair...

*YOINK*

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Alondro on May 14, 2008, 06:45:10 PM
Hives give me bees.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

joshofspam

just for giggles are you going to go over the pygmy shrews at fluffies expence and something seems different  about your character have you change something i can't figure it out
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Sid

I really love Fluffy's musings and the expressions in the last two panels xD

And just because I felt like doing some SVG work again: The chart so far and a JPG copy for those who have trouble with SVG files.

(Should be error-free, I think...)

I'll keep this updated as the updates roll in, I guess. We could put it on the WikuWiki once it's complete, maybe. Dunno.
:boogie

LionHeart

Quote from: AmigaDragon on May 14, 2008, 09:21:34 PM
Hives give me bees.
And do bees give you a buzz? :P

And Charline, I thought you were already on a seafood diet. Whenever you see food, you want to eat it.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Alondro

Quote from: AmigaDragon on May 14, 2008, 09:21:34 PM
Hives give me bees.

*nods*  And the bees give stings, which then give rise to more hives, thus perpetuating a vicious cycle with no end...  :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Raiettei on May 14, 2008, 06:52:26 PM

?? What ?? Are you insane?  The lobster are so crabby, and they don't like butter.  They chaff even with butter.  God they are so tasteless and clueless...

PBH

Aurawyn

That made me Lol considering i am going to Red Lobster for dinner on friday... When everone is eating their lobaster.. I'm going to be thinking "tho poor, poor Mer"  :mowhappy

Raiettei

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on May 14, 2008, 10:21:39 PM
Quote from: Raiettei on May 14, 2008, 06:52:26 PM

?? What ?? Are you insane?  The lobster are so crabby, and they don't like butter.  They chaff even with butter.  God they are so tasteless and clueless...

PBH

Insane? Yes
Tasteless? Hardly
Clueless? Yes

Crabby? Not even the right species!

A more correct term would be... ahem... "lobstery"
Or even "Crusty"
Hm. I could go on!
Somewhat... "Buggy"
Maybe even... *randomly shot by forumite*

...Let's just stick with crabby.

Ren Gaulen

OK, people.. Are you all seriously contemplating eating a sentient creature? >:[ Leave the anthro-lobsters alone!! They are nearly extinct already!

AmigaDragon

Nobody actually mentioned anthro (or even sentient) lobsters, just giant lobsters (yum).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Ren Gaulen

e_voyager

beings being the way they are i'm sure a few of them would go to drastic measures to be with the ones the love even if they were genetically incompatible. in a world were magic works the possibilities get a little scary
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Kuari

....  wait..  you mean that giant lobster I fished up is actually a mer/insectis?

*calls in back*
Cancel that order for a giant pot!  The thing is sentient, and probably nasty tasting....  oh, too late?  Sneak its soul into Charline's food there, I hear seafood gives her hives.  Would be a good ol' prank.

PurpleCheeseLlama

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 15, 2008, 12:39:44 AM
Leave the anthro-lobsters alone!!

Let's call it Britney :U

I'm far too easily amused.

Turnsky

Quote from: A race page of Ariannia's Cubi race.
It is also strictly forbidden by both Cubi and Thae'lith society for either one or the other to get together and produce a child, should the rare event occur, Both parents are exiled (or killed), and the child, unfortunately is destroyed, both sides fear the implication to such a degree, that such extreme measures need to be taken, and this is quite often seen as a joint effort between both Thae'lith and Cubi.

I'm personally very leery of hybrids, i'm one to believe that while the potential is there, some races wouldn't touch another with a forty foot barge pole. Either through cultural diversity, social taboos, or through sheer snobbery, or in this case, fear that the potential result would be dangerous for both races. >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Sofox

If there's any setting more appropriate for a retelling of Romeo and Juliet...

Turnsky

Quote from: Sofox on May 15, 2008, 07:59:24 AM
If there's any setting more appropriate for a retelling of Romeo and Juliet...

only if both lovers are hunted down in such a fashion that'd make the witch-hunts look like a game of hide and seek, then ruthlessly slaughtered, tortured, or buried alive for their lengthy lives, yeah.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on May 15, 2008, 08:01:51 AM
only if both lovers are hunted down in such a fashion that'd make the witch-hunts look like a game of hide and seek, then ruthlessly slaughtered, tortured, or buried alive for their lengthy lives, yeah.

'Cubi are rare, Thae'lith are rare and Ariannia is a very big world.  While I'm not sure I want to see it either, the possibility for elopement is very real.  It might have been simpler and easier to just have made the two genetically incompatible and removed the problem in the first place...

Um, anyway.  Back to Amber's world, I'm curious about hybrids within a race.  E.g. both Beings, but one a cat and one a dog, and so on.  So far, that looks like it's atomic, i.e. the result is either a cat or a dog.  However that does raise the question of what happens within a species, e.g. one a Doberman and the other a Dalmatian, for instance.  Would that work as in real life, I wonder?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 15, 2008, 08:10:16 AM
'Cubi are rare, Thae'lith are rare and Ariannia is a very big world.  While I'm not sure I want to see it either, the possibility for elopement is very real.  It might have been simpler and easier to just have made the two genetically incompatible and removed the problem in the first place...
he says to the person holding the red notebook that says otherwise..  let's just say the last time any 'cubi attempted a Thae'lith coupling, their pelt adorns a wall of House Endaris... i won't mention where the entrails went..  as for the Thae'lith... their punishment was... even more severe, trust me.  >:3  both parties keep close tabs on eachother

Um, anyway.  Back to Amber's world, I'm curious about hybrids within a race.  E.g. both Beings, but one a cat and one a dog, and so on.  So far, that looks like it's atomic, i.e. the result is either a cat or a dog.  However that does raise the question of what happens within a species, e.g. one a Doberman and the other a Dalmatian, for instance.  Would that work as in real life, I wonder?

i read a news report where a Dachsund fathered pups to a Dalmatian, Tape. Essentually any pairing within the specific tree of a species genus would work.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on May 15, 2008, 08:46:26 AM
i read a news report where a Dachsund fathered pups to a Dalmatian, Tape. Essentually any pairing within the specific tree of a species genus would work.
Yes - that, after all, is how we ended up with the variety of dog breeds we have... through selective interbreeding.  The point, where DMFA is concerned, is slightly more subtle.

I don't know offhand how old the main breeds we have on Earth are.  I know that the Doberman only goes back to the 1800s.
With DMFA, Beings are older than our recorded history by an order of magnitude or more.
If true interbreeding works in DMFA, the question in its entirety is: Why haven't the canines interbred, over that period, into a single homogeneous 'dog' type?  The reason that hasn't happened here is because we are deliberately keeping things that way.

(EDIT: And this is a problem for wolves, where their stock is diluted by interbreeding with domestic dogs)

Now, two possible answers that spring to mind are that each breed has a core of members who are trying to keep their race pure, kind of like the wizarding families in Harry Potter.
The other is that interbreeding is limited in some ways, such that you don't easily get hybrids.
(The third answer is "because it's a cartoon and you're overthinking things")

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'll take door number 3, for $50, if you would, please. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 15, 2008, 09:20:43 AM
I'll take door number 3, for $50, if you would, please. ;-]

It has practical implications for fanfic writers, though.  Specifically, I'm curious because of Dorcan's family tree in Future History.  IIRC the family tree is something like:

Mordrith Jyraneth (Doberman) + Julei Jyraneth (Husky)
              |
           Neremath Ja'Fell (Husky) + Salomere (Doberman)
                      |
                  Dorcan Ja'Fell (Doberman)

Would a Husky/Doberman pairing get you some weird 'Husky Pinscher' puppies, as it would in reality?

Mind you, in this case things get weird because they're all 'Cubi and we don't really know what that does.  The fact that a 'Cubi-Being pair will have offspring resembling the Being suggests to me that they'd probably get a pure-blood offspring of either race breed, but ultimately it's something only Amber can answer.

Raiettei

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 15, 2008, 08:56:44 AM
Now, two possible answers that spring to mind are that each breed has a core of members who are trying to keep their race pure, kind of like the wizarding families in Harry Potter.
The other is that interbreeding is limited in some ways, such that you don't easily get hybrids.
(The third answer is "because it's a cartoon and you're overthinking things")

There might be a third (or fourth) such as the hybrids may be embarrassed by their heritage, and patches and/or magic may... you know... change that on the surface.

(That third answer is my mantra! I live by those words!)