01/04/08 [DMFA #861] - Disco!

Started by AndersW, January 04, 2008, 12:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersW

Spent a week in a dark room.  I would go mad. :mowdizzy

rabid_fox

Spend a musical era listening to the jangling dischords of disco - I nearly did go mad.

Wait, I'm not that old.

Abel looks very serene in the last panel.

Oh dear.

Janus Whitefurr

Maybe it's just the half light, or possibly his eyes, but Abel has this sort of sly "cute" look about him in that last panel. It's pretty.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Zedd

Abel..With disco fevet...Hells yeahs

AndersW

The lighting and shading on this page is amazing.  I especially like panel 2, with the light falling on Abel's eye.

And I need to get to bed

Hellcat

Quote from: AndersW on January 04, 2008, 01:03:22 AM
Jyrras is missing the Fae curse marks on his wrists in panel 3.

Abel Doesn't know that Jyrras has been cursed, this will be news to him.

they're not missing, they just don't show on the underside of his wrists as shown in panel three of the previous comic

Amber Williams

*sighs*

This is why people are supposed to PM me when they think something is in error rather than post about it. Because when I fix it, posts become irrelevent and it takes up useless space.

Keep that in mind AndersW since if you do it again, I'm temp banning you for a day.

Cogidubnus

Why missing disco is a wonderful thing.

Goodbye Sister Disco indeed. Even so, I find myself imagining a Fro-headed, polyester suited Abel dancing the DDR.

rabid_fox

You know, "Miss Europa Disco Dancer" by The Manic Street Preachers is the finest disco song of all time.

Bar none.

Shut up, cretins.

Back to the comic. The shading is fantabulous on this. Lighting that make Tomb Raider II look like a pile of snot (and I love Tomb Raider II's lighting effects).

Curses. No "Miss Europa Disco Dancer" on Youtube. You'll just have to wonder, I suppose.

Oh dear.

Kenji

Hmm. Disco attire.
Ya know, that's one good thing about the cubi shapeshifting. You'll always have a wardrobe that's hip with the times.

Tapewolf

I agree with the lighting, it's wonderful.

Now, I wonder whether Abel was actually just lying there?  He told Dan he sleeps, although I'm not sure Jyrras ever found out about it.

Another interesting question is why Alexsi just left him like that, when her usual approach is to order both him and Dan around regardless.  It's also curious that with Merlitz and Dan gone, they don't have anyone to guard the bar.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

WhiteFire

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 04, 2008, 04:26:39 AM
Another interesting question is why Alexsi just left him like that, when her usual approach is to order both him and Dan around regardless.  It's also curious that with Merlitz and Dan gone, they don't have anyone to guard the bar.

I know there was a comic pondering why in the world Alexsi needed Merlitz in the first place, but she is still the second most frightening thing the bar has ever seen.

Feroluce

heh heh. I bet if I was as long lived as Cubi are, I would probably loose track of a few weeks/months/years as well. especially since I wouldnt need to eat.

Goatmon

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 04, 2008, 01:15:58 AM
*sighs*

This is why people are supposed to PM me when they think something is in error rather than post about it. Because when I fix it, posts become irrelevant and it takes up useless space.

Keep that in mind AndersW since if you do it again, I'm temp banning you for a day.

:<

*takes note of this*

Amber Williams

I will eat all your faces! :U

That and its really an ouch everytime I forget because I even put a little note to remind myself to add certain things that I have a habit of forgetting. There was a couple months where I kept forgetting to add May's nose-marking. X_x

The bangles are supposed to be on all round and through clothing.  But they're new and I'm not used to adding them as second nature yet...so I forget. So if you see him without, PM me.  Because it's not any conspiracy or anything, its actually me forgetting to add them.

Don

So incredibly jelous of abel, I've wanted to sit in a dark room for long extended periods of time and just sleep for like, my entire life.

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on January 04, 2008, 01:04:42 AM
Maybe it's just the half light, or possibly his eyes, but Abel has this sort of sly "cute" look about him in that last panel. It's pretty.

Indeed, i'm curious as to what they will talk about with abel being in that room for a week, and all the little events that have happened in jyrras's life  and now they finally see eachother again in a pitch black room.

Tapewolf

Here's a thought.  If it's been a week, the shield Abel put on Jyrras is going to have expired, and Jy's mind will be wide open to him...

**EDIT**
To clarify which 'he' and 'him' is which

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 04, 2008, 06:28:26 AM
Here's a thought.  If it's been a week, the shield Abel put on Jyrras is going to have expired, and Jy's mind will be wide open to him...

**EDIT**
To clarify which 'he' and 'him' is which

I think that Jyrras's mind shield will be longer lasting, Fa'Lina's mind shield on Dan was to make a point more than anything else (and it was different kind) and Merlitz's old adventures group had mind shields, it would be a little awkward to keep renewing those each week.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 04, 2008, 08:24:29 AM
I think that Jyrras mind shield will be longer lasting, Fa'Lina's mind shield on Dan was to make a point more than anything else (and it was different kind) and Merlitz's old adventures group had mind shields, it would be a little awkward to keep renewing those each week.

You may be on the right track, but for the wrong reason.  Abel has had to renew the spell at least once (607), but thinking about it, the rationale was to prevent Dan knowing that Jy was gay for him.  Now that Dan and Jy are level with each other, Abel has no reason to renew it.

The only problem is that the shield also prevented Abel from knowing that Jy set his sights on him instead.

Psaakyrn

That would only be a problem if Jyrras actively thought about it, which would be unlikely (unless he was about to say it out/ask Abel for a date/etc, which would make the point moot). Being a recent convert to homosexuality though, such issues may be loud enough in his mind to be picked off easily.

On that note, when did Jyrras tell Alexi? (granted, Alexi seems like the first person he would confide in, given past experience..)
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

AndersW

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 04, 2008, 08:28:15 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 04, 2008, 08:24:29 AM
I think that Jyrras mind shield will be longer lasting, Fa'Lina's mind shield on Dan was to make a point more than anything else (and it was different kind) and Merlitz's old adventures group had mind shields, it would be a little awkward to keep renewing those each week.

You may be on the right track, but for the wrong reason.  Abel has had to renew the spell at least once (607), but thinking about it, the rationale was to prevent Dan knowing that Jy was gay for him.  Now that Dan and Jy are level with each other, Abel has no reason to renew it.

The only problem is that the shield also prevented Abel from knowing that Jy set his sights on him instead.

Abel only cast the mind shield once (in 607) and hasn't  needed to renew it.  When he first tried to cast the mind shield in 576 he was interrupted, we know because Aaryanna was reading his mind in 587.

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 04, 2008, 01:15:58 AM
*sighs*

This is why people are supposed to PM me when they think something is in error rather than post about it. Because when I fix it, posts become irrelevent and it takes up useless space.

I am sorry, I wasn't aware that we are suppose to PM you about errors.  It won't happen again.

Tapewolf

Quote from: AndersW on January 04, 2008, 10:22:06 AM
Abel only cast the mind shield once (in 607) and hasn't  needed to renew it.  When he first tried to cast the mind shield in 576 he was interrupted, we know because Aaryanna was reading his mind in 587.

(slaps forehead)  Of course.  However, unless the spell Fa'Lina cast on Dan was based on radically different operating principles, it will need to be renewed at some point.  Also Fa'Lina is orders of magnitude more powerful and experienced than Abel, so I'd expect his spells to last an even shorter length of time.  Note that Dan's spell wore off after considerably less than a week, around two days maximum.

thegayhare

Quote from: Psaakyrn on January 04, 2008, 09:48:26 AM
That would only be a problem if Jyrras actively thought about it, which would be unlikely (unless he was about to say it out/ask Abel for a date/etc, which would make the point moot). Being a recent convert to homosexuality though, such issues may be loud enough in his mind to be picked off easily.

Unless he's oh... I don't know, All alone in Abel's a dimly lit bed room, just a foot or so from a scantily clad cubi who's butt he likes

AndersW

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 04, 2008, 10:28:26 AM
Quote from: AndersW on January 04, 2008, 10:22:06 AM

(slaps forehead)  Of course.  However, unless the spell Fa'Lina cast on Dan was based on radically different operating principles, it will need to be renewed at some point.  Also Fa'Lina is orders of magnitude more powerful and experienced than Abel, so I'd expect his spells to last an even shorter length of time.  Note that Dan's spell wore off after considerably less than a week, around two days maximum.

The spell Fa'Lina cast on Dan was a mental filter to bloock out the surplus of rogue energy and only filter in the desired amount.

The spell Abel cast was a mental shield to keep others from reading your mind.

Also, I think that Fa'Lina cast a weak mental filter that would wear off in a short amount of time, in case Dan decided to make a break for it, so he would have to come back.

Kenji

Quote from: thegayhare on January 04, 2008, 10:35:53 AM
Quote from: Psaakyrn on January 04, 2008, 09:48:26 AM

Unless he's oh... I don't know, All alone in Abel's a dimly lit bed room, just a foot or so from a scantily clad cubi who's butt he likes

Trying to start another bout of fanart on par with the Abel Story one? ;P Naaaaah, not you.

A part of me almost wanted Jy to walk into the room, have the lights not work, and search around cautiously. Only to have Abel jump out and go "Booga! Booga! Booga!". >.>

Tapewolf

Quote from: AndersW on January 04, 2008, 10:39:48 AM
The spell Fa'Lina cast on Dan was a mental filter to block out the surplus of rogue energy and only filter in the desired amount.

They are both mental filters.  I can't speak for how DMFA's magic works, but if they were computer programs, there would be a lot of common code.  In fact if it was a network firewall (which is basically what they're doing!), you'd use exactly the same unit with a slightly different configuration for each task.

QuoteAlso, I think that Fa'Lina cast a weak mental filter that would wear off in a short amount of time, in case Dan decided to make a break for it, so he would have to come back.
I'll grant you it may have been designed to have a limited lifespan, but I'm not sure you could escape from SAIA unless she wanted you to.  Fa'Lina knows practically everything that happens there.
If it was a deliberately time-limited spell, it's more likely to 'encourage' him to learn how to do it himself (since it was a stopgap measure, after all).

AndersW

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 04, 2008, 10:47:10 AM
Quote from: AndersW on January 04, 2008, 10:39:48 AM
The spell Fa'Lina cast on Dan was a mental filter to block out the surplus of rogue energy and only filter in the desired amount.

They are both mental filters.  I can't speak for how DMFA's magic works, but if they were computer programs, there would be a lot of common code.  In fact if it was a network firewall (which is basically what they're doing!), you'd use exactly the same unit with a slightly different configuration for each task.

Considering that we have no clue how magic works, you might be right, you might be wrong.  We have no way to tell.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 04, 2008, 10:47:10 AM
Quote from: AndersW on January 04, 2008, 10:39:48 AMAlso, I think that Fa'Lina cast a weak mental filter that would wear off in a short amount of time, in case Dan decided to make a break for it, so he would have to come back.

I'll grant you it may have been designed to have a limited lifespan, but I'm not sure you could escape from SAIA unless she wanted you to.  Fa'Lina knows practically everything that happens there.
If it was a deliberately time-limited spell, it's more likely to 'encourage' him to learn how to do it himself (since it was a stopgap measure, after all).

The mental filter that Fa'Lina cast for Dan in 589 seems to have survived to the present comic.  We likely would have heard about it if it had worn off.  And Abel has spent a week in his room uninterrupted.

Tapewolf

Quote from: AndersW on January 04, 2008, 11:01:57 AM
The mental filter that Fa'Lina cast for Dan in 589 seems to have survived to the present comic.  We likely would have heard about it if it had worn off.  And Abel has spent a week in his room uninterrupted.

This is true.  On the other hand we haven't seen Dan lately.  If he's got a headache again, we'll know what's happened :3

Aleolus

Hey!  What's wrong with disco?  It actually has some very good music!

sabs

Oooohh, I'm very much hoping for a lovely character convo between Abel and Jy in the next comic. Maybe a more-than-mutual understanding will begin to develop. <3

Gah, I'm such a fangirl.

On forth, hormones! >:D