well, I guess that nixxed my theory of how they reproduce. [5-9-07 #785]

Started by GabrielsThoughts, May 08, 2007, 08:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikename2

Well they stole the soul, I suspect that the number would remain the same, but yea that Fae soul wouldn't be able to be auctioned off, because the cubi stole it....can't auction off what you don't got. If they destroyed the soul however, yea the number would go down.

Amber Williams

Fae souls don't run the same way as other race souls work...save for probably the flaming pheonix types.  They aren't really stealable.

superluser

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on May 08, 2007, 09:14:33 PM... the poorly rendered breast is the LEAST of what scared me about that device!

...Good?

I had to mention it, because it could technically be considered NSFW.

The really scary bit, which I never noticed until today, is that it was patented in 1965.

Quote from: Xeksue on May 08, 2007, 09:35:48 PMWell they stole the soul, I suspect that the number would remain the same, but yea that Fae soul wouldn't be able to be auctioned off, because the cubi stole it....can't auction off what you don't got.

What if fae souls can escape the surly bonds of `cubi? (Also, what Amber ninja'd me with)

Edit: Upon further reflection, if they *are* like flaming phoenix, they'd probably just disappear as soon as they get auctioned off.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Akisohida

I bid $10 for the Fae soul!

I am guessing the auction is to pick parents? A couple bids on the soul and the winning couple gets to raise the new fae? I wonder what is bid, though. Creatures like the fae seem to have little use for money.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Rafe

I'm starting to like Albanion.  He seems to have something of an I'm-superior/smartass attitude, without the subdued loathing that Abel has.  Kind of a kinder, gentler version.  I'm also imagining him with an east-coast upper-class metrosexual voice, or possibly a Harvard accent. 

Rafe

nikename2

Hmm, well this kind of raises an interesting question. If Fae souls are auctioned/recycled, what happens if two Fae bear a child and don't get a soul for it? Or is it impossible for them to have one without a soul. (I mean impossible as in no conception without a soul, not because some Fae patrol will burst through your ceiling and arrest you for creating a zombie baby.)  :shifty

superluser

BRING ON THE BAD 70'S SCI-FI!

Quote from: Akisohida on May 08, 2007, 09:53:18 PMI am guessing the auction is to pick parents? A couple bids on the soul and the winning couple gets to raise the new fae? I wonder what is bid, though. Creatures like the fae seem to have little use for money.

What if it's like Logan's run, where the auction is more of a lottery?  Or what if it's like Soylent Green, where food is rationed off (OK, food gets rationed off in other things, too, but they weren't bad 70's sci-fi)

Quote from: Xeksue on May 08, 2007, 09:54:43 PMnot because some Fae patrol will burst through your ceiling and arrest you for creating a zombie baby

You mean like in THX-1138?

Regal

They need to develop the concept of Ebay. Or would that be Faebay?

superluser

Quote from: Regal on May 08, 2007, 10:08:58 PMThey need to develop the concept of Ebay. Or would that be Faebay?

Well, Mab is partial to Me-Bay...

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Akisohida on May 08, 2007, 09:53:18 PM
I bid $10 for the Fae soul!

I am guessing the auction is to pick parents? A couple bids on the soul and the winning couple gets to raise the new fae? I wonder what is bid, though. Creatures like the fae seem to have little use for money.

Well, in that context, of COURSE there's an auction - Everyone wants a baby, and you can bet with effectively immortal creatures that means that they'll have plenty of money accrued* to pay for 'em too!

* And by money we can assume some sort of Boons (ala Vampire: the Masquerade) count as currency even if the Fae have no use for normal money. The fae obviously have something they consider of worth to offer for these souls...

superluser

Ooh!  I've got a question (rhetorical, so don't feel obligated to answer)!

What happens if a fae attains Nirvana?  You know, freedom from the endless cycle of personal reincarnations?  Are fae even allowed to be Buddhists?  What happens if they try?  Would that be some sort of crime?

Amber Williams

Most Fae are pretty self-aware of what they are, so religion tends to never have a play in regards to Fae.  They know that when they "die", they are gone for good...as they basically are giving up whatever they are in order to be recycled into a completly new personality.  So pretty much they don't have a heaven or hell or religious afterlife to look forward to, just oblivion in exchange for a new individual to be born.

superluser

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 08, 2007, 10:35:52 PMMost Fae are pretty self-aware of what they are, so religion tends to never have a play in regards to Fae.

Ooh!  Then I guess a fae becoming a Buddhist would be really offensive to the fae.  :B

Anyways, I was more proposing a thought experiment--what happens if a fae actually attains Nirvana?  Like, the soul is actually obliterated and goes into nothingness from whence it will never return?  The fae dies, and they bring the soul to auction--but no soul?

What happens then?

(again, I'm just having fun--no need to respond)

Psaakyrn

Quote from: superluser on May 08, 2007, 10:46:56 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on May 08, 2007, 10:35:52 PMMost Fae are pretty self-aware of what they are, so religion tends to never have a play in regards to Fae.

Ooh!  Then I guess a fae becoming a Buddhist would be really offensive to the fae.  :B

Anyways, I was more proposing a thought experiment--what happens if a fae actually attains Nirvana?  Like, the soul is actually obliterated and goes into nothingness from whence it will never return?  The fae dies, and they bring the soul to auction--but no soul?

What happens then?

(again, I'm just having fun--no need to respond)

We don't know how souls work. If assuming that they're just a source of energy, a Fae gaining nirvana would just turn into the blank soul immediately. (in this sense, a Fae's soul is more akin to a more material person's physical being, constantly recycled in the circle of life..)

I'm more curious whether Fae reuse names on newly born Fae. It would explain why Fae in present times appear to have the same name as another fae in eons past, with a seemingly significantly different personality..
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Amber Williams

superluser.  You are getting very close to being annoying, regardless of how much fun you are having.  How can I put this in nice words...nothing would happen because it wouldnt work and Fae can't attain Nirvana?  If you want to wax philosophical you can, but you are basically asking for a complete change of reality and physics just to suit your thought experiment. 

As for the names, it isn't too uncommon for a Fae to name their kid with a slight nod to the previous Fae.  But that tends to depend on whos and whats and a more personal basis.

Netami

Quote from: Manawolf on May 08, 2007, 08:58:06 PM
Quote from: Netami on May 08, 2007, 08:45:23 PM
Called it.

So did a few others. Typical Fae from other fantasy settings, thank goodness.

What other settings?

Almost anytime the Fae are referenced in conjunction with the whole Unseelie and Seelie courts, you know it's going to follow some basic guidelines. Raymond E Feist's "Faerie Tale" is a modern day tale of the fairy courts from Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream and it's a good example of how the fae's life cycle works. The fairy queen, for example, was not always so and will not always be as her soul will eventually be reborn and her "part" in the grand play of things will be shifted to another soul. I'm not sure how Disney's Gargoyles handled the fae courts, but I imagine it would be similar.

Damaris

Besides... wouldn't there need to be a Bhudda in order for bhuddism to exist?

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

GabrielsThoughts

Here's a thought, could there be a fae/ other furry (being, cubi, creature, angel) union that would not require the fae soul, or do fae exclusively have fae offspring?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

nikename2

I don't think there could be a Fae/X hybrid unless they had a soul for it, otherwise the offspring would just represent the X race.  :shifty

superluser

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 08, 2007, 10:53:21 PMsuperluser.  You are getting very close to being annoying, regardless of how much fun you are having.  How can I put this in nice words...nothing would happen because it wouldnt work and Fae can't attain Nirvana?  If you want to wax philosophical you can, but you are basically asking for a complete change of reality and physics just to suit your thought experiment.

I'm sorry.  I'm not trying to be annoying.  That's part of the reason that I keep insisting that you don't have to respond.

I enjoy reading sci-fi and fantasy because it allows me to enter a world where I can say things like, ``What if the world weren't the way it is?  What if we changed this one thing?  What would happen?''  For example, what would happen if you found a watch that allowed you to stop time?  It would break all the physics we know and require a complete change of reality.  But it would make a really ripping episode of The Twilight Zone.

Likewise, I'm not asking you to change anything about your physics or reality.  I understand that the plot that I'm suggesting is completely incompatible with the furrae world.  I'm just saying, wouldn't it make a great horror novel for fae?  If fae don't like horror novels, then I'm sure it could be a great comedy for beings.

Quote from: Damaris on May 08, 2007, 11:00:42 PMBesides... wouldn't there need to be a Bhudda in order for bhuddism to exist?

I could argue that, but I think it would belong in the religion thread.

Ralanost

So it doesn't matter where a fae passes on?  From reading demon 101 I was thinking that dying in the fae dimension would be more permanent. 

Maybe Mab is trying to hurry so she can bid on her own parents?   :aack

Ouai

Ralanost

Tsunari

Hmmmm, well if the arc is called queen mab there might be a chance her parents have to do with the Fae monarchy too and that leaves Mab to become the new queen.

Magic

Quote from: AndersW on May 08, 2007, 09:30:20 PM
Cubi can steal souls.  What would happen if a cubi stole a fae soul.  Would the number of fae go down, or what?

The problem is how impossible that is. It can't happen, on principle. Incubi and succubi are or can become powerful, but not (world-shatteringly) powerful enough to somehow manage to subdue a fae who can likely summon epic disasters (read: tsunamis, thermonuclear yield explosions) at his or her side. Even then, there's the fact that the fae only truly dies when he or she feels like it.

Though a good guess is that the said incubus/succubus will instantly become a demigod tri-wing who can and probably might rule the world with his or her bare hands, given the implications of someone aspiring for such unnecessary power.

But then, that defeats the essence of trying to steal a fae's soul for power since you'd probably be not so much more powerful than you were before you started. In the end, it's just not worth it. Beings are easier prey by a long shot.

Quote from: Ralanost on May 09, 2007, 12:05:38 AM
So it doesn't matter where a fae passes on?

What do you do with the lifeless body if it doesn't matter? Of course the fae would have to make funeral arrangements first.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Gornemant

Quote from: Amber WilliamsThere are pigeons on my balcony...

It's always difficult to concentrate on typing when there are pigeons on my balcony.

....Fat fat pigeons...
Pigeons are awesome, especially fat ones, it's a proven fact:

... or maybe they're just stupid
that is all, have a nice day  :)

Rythak

It would be very akward for me to have to arrange my own funeral... Do fae do that or just kinda impulsive "Hmm, life is gettin kinda boring *blarg*. What happens when a fae dies but theres nobody around to know about it or anyone to care?! Does the soul just wander around aimlessly? Why would you want to die?! with a lifespan like that any of your problems can be worked out with time.
So many questions...
Also on a more OT note does it seem weird to anyone else the spelling of "funeral"?

Tsunari

Quote from: Rythak on May 09, 2007, 01:16:28 AM
It would be very akward for me to have to arrange my own funeral... Do fae do that or just kinda impulsive "Hmm, life is gettin kinda boring *blarg*. What happens when a fae dies but theres nobody around to know about it or anyone to care?! Does the soul just wander around aimlessly? Why would you want to die?! with a lifespan like that any of your problems can be worked out with time.
So many questions...
Also on a more OT note does it seem weird to anyone else the spelling of "funeral"?

Wouldn't they get bored someday of being that old...

Damaris

Superluser, that was not meant to be a discussion point anyway.  Having an imagination is fine, but for the love of god.  Goodness knows we don't stay on topic, but the level of stupid speculation that occurs in this forum is astounding.  I'm not calling you in particular stupid, mind, but going off on bizarre, tagental flights of fancy that are not even remotely based on anything AT ALL in DMFA don't help those who actually are cranially challanged.  All it really does is annoy Amber, who gives even less information to the masses as a result.

Discuss the comic, but stop obsessing.  It's. a. comic.  Write fanfic if you really need to get some of this off your chest. 

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Kenji

Quote from: Rythak on May 09, 2007, 01:16:28 AM

Can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter" and ya can't spell "funeral" without "real fun."
You do the math.