4/7/07 Abel's Story #80: Awwwkwaaard.

Started by Mashi, April 07, 2007, 01:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mashi

May's face in the second panel = classic JACK face. :D

Cogidubnus

Oho!

Methinks I know which Abel theory was correct. Or at least, I know have a much better idea...

What can be said? Poor, poor May. Life just got a lot more difficult, in ways she probably didn't expect. Her reaction probably didn't help things either.

:mwaha

devilsislegrl

THIS is an incubus?!  ooohoohoohoo... I think we know who's NOT the cubi... :sweatdrop

superluser

I think this puts the last nail in the coffin for ``Cid will freak out and try to kill Abel.''

``Excuse me, my darling wife.  I must leave you now to be savaged by an incubus while I round up a party to try to kill it.''

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

*flicks Super on the snout* Yet we dont know what the action couse for is yet

Manawolf

Yes, the man who's been an adventurer all his life is not the cubi.  What a surprise!

Don't you hate it when you have a room full of adventurers, spellcasters, zealots and thugs, and yet not one diplomat.

Regal

Not "he is an incubus", but "this is an incubus".  It's rather bad when your father starts refering to you like a something.

Azraelle

But why was Cid pointing to his own head?  Perhaps he just sprouted his own wings, thus calling himself "this"?  Just a possibility.

superluser

You know, I noticed something.  Cid isn't trying to keep his voice down.  Hennya can hear Cid just fine.  Perhaps he's trying to see how Abel reacts to this before he takes any action?

Also, I wonder if Cid were trying to run back out to his friend and ask ``What do you think you're trying to pull here?''

Quote from: Azraelle on April 07, 2007, 02:39:01 AMBut why was Cid pointing to his own head?  Perhaps he just sprouted his own wings, thus calling himself "this"?  Just a possibility.

I don't think that he was referring to himself with `this,' but the concept of referring to Abel being an incubus being `natural' (while referring to himself) crossed my mind.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Amber Williams

Initially I had Cid's hand put more over his face in sort of a head-hold position...but I was afraid it would come across to people like he was about to pull his eye-patch off or something. So I opted for the temple-headache point.

AND STILL I FAIL. :U

Azraelle

But you're keeping us guessing, Amber, which is a sign of a successful writer.  We're all so very intrigued to find out just what the hell is going to happen that we can't stop ourselves from looking for every single little thing that MIGHT be a clue!  :)

:goamber

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: superluser on April 07, 2007, 02:17:18 AM
I think this puts the last nail in the coffin for ``Cid will freak out and try to kill Abel.''

... I wouldn't write that one off just yet, the way he was talking, and how, at the beginning, he said "I'll be right back" or something like that makes me think he was heading for wherever he keeps his swords...while he may not be freaking out, he still just might try to kill Abel, assuming that "this" is not his Abel, but an incubus in disguise...but...

*TM-G furiously hammers many nails into the "Cid is the cubi" theory, because, even though TM-G was rooting for the "Incubus tricked May" theory because it made the most sense, he still, up till this point, secretly nurtured the hope that Cid WOULD be the cubi just 'cuz he liked that idea better... now he hammers his own thumb by accident, resulting in a loud curse-rant :cuss*

And because so many people seem to have a hard time understanding when I'm serious and when I'm joking, I did secretly want Cid to be the cubi, but an Incubus tricking May just made more logical sense. The curse part is my attempt to add levity. And I'm not really "furious", I'm really more 'Oh darn". The furiously part is one of those rediculous exaggerations for a joke.

Nino

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on April 07, 2007, 03:18:27 AM

... I wouldn't write that one off just yet, the way he was talking, and how, at the beginning, he said "I'll be right back" or something like that makes me think he was heading for wherever he keeps his swords...while he may not be freaking out, he still just might try to kill Abel, assuming that "this" is not his Abel, but an incubus in disguise...but...

*TM-G furiously hammers many nails into the "Cid is the cubi" theory, because, even though TM-G was rooting for the "Incubus tricked May" theory because it made the most sense, he still, up till this point, secretly nurtured the hope that Cid WOULD be the cubi just 'cuz he liked that idea better... now he hammers his own thumb by accident, resulting in a loud curse-rant :cuss*

And because so many people seem to have a hard time understanding when I'm serious and when I'm joking, I did secretly want Cid to be the cubi, but an Incubus tricking May just made more logical sense. The curse part is my attempt to add levity. And I'm not really "furious", I'm really more 'Oh darn". The furiously part is one of those rediculous exaggerations for a joke.

If you have to explain it it's not funny =P

Of course, in this case I don't think you had to explain it. Your sarcasm was easily detectable.

Illusionist

Hennya said just about everything there is to say.

Zedd

Just a really bad feeling when it comes to Cid at mind right now

Feather Dancer

A feeling of forboding doom should be happening about now, amongst people handing out popcorn. Oh noes! Man poor Abel, after what he was just told of a Cubi he's either gonna freak & run, faint or just go on total shutdown :<
Notalope, making all worries as tasty as pineapples.

kaskar

In # 723 of DMFA , Amber had a word for situations like this .

I think the word was ' MEGAWFULNORMOUS ' ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Tapewolf

``Excuse me, my darling wife.  I must leave you now to be savaged by an incubus while I round up a party to try to kill it.''

I have no idea where this is going, but it strikes me that he's probably not looking at immediate violence.
The obvious possibility is that he's going to fetch a sword or something because he thinks that what he's seeing is an experienced incubus in the guise of his son.  His use of the word 'that' to described his beloved son would tend to suggest this - but an incubus experienced enough to copy his son perfectly would not have blown it by leaving his headwings.

No, I don't know what he's about to do.  Perhaps fetch someone who knows more about 'cubi to look him over, or 'cubi might need to be registered with the city.  They might even be banned (although that seems less likely in a demon city) in which case he might have to turn him in (this seems harsh, but there might be penalties for harbouring them).  

But whatever he's up to, I think that Cid always knew - or was afraid - that his son might be an incubus, he just didn't want to face it.  He had wings, for goodness' sake.  His use of the word 'that' might mean that he's disowning him because he's decided that Abel isn't his son.

Amber, have you considered dropping to a Monday and Friday schedule?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

kaskar

I was just wondering ? How will these matters occuring now impinge on a certain marriage in the immediate future ? 

Turnsky

poor abel, things are looking from bad to worse for 'im.. no wonder he stays in his room alot in the future.  :<

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

kaskar

When Kria eventually turns up, will everything be explained and calmed, or just go from bad to worse ?

Tapewolf

Quote from: kaskar on April 07, 2007, 07:07:12 AM
When Kria eventually turns up, will everything be explained and calmed, or just go from bad to worse ?

Depends whether his parents are frightened because Abel is going to grow up into a monster and eat their souls, or angry because he isn't Cid's son.
Kria might be able to calm them, but if she lets slip that she was at the fort killing many men, or Abel puts two and two together, his horrified reaction might placate them to some degree - at least, assuming they aren't too horrified themselves to notice.

I wonder how the 'tattoo' fits into all this?  In particular what Cid made of it... May must surely have told him even if he hasn't seen it himself.  Someone who knows more about 'Cubi might be able to point out that it means Abel wasn't killed and replaced on the funeral trip (but whether he was killed and replaced while at University is a different story).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Stygian

Who says May must have said what now? And why would Kria come over so early at all, when she probably realizes what might happen?

No, I think all we are going to see here is Cid renouncing Abel. What happens after that, only Hell knows.

kaskar

Is Kria supposed to be what Hell knows at times ???

Akisohida

I just noticed something. May has blue eyes. Cid has brown eyes..But Abel has a blue eye and a GREEN eye. More evidence that Abel is not truely Cids son? o.o
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

rt

Did any one else hear that dramatic "Bum Bum Buumm" effect after reading 'this is an incubus'? Amber is good to get those sound effects across the net  ;)

Also  :eager omg omg omg!  :eager what's oging to happen next!!  :boogie

Turnsky

Quote from: Akisohida on April 07, 2007, 07:33:59 AM
I just noticed something. May has blue eyes. Cid has brown eyes..But Abel has a blue eye and a GREEN eye. More evidence that Abel is not truely Cids son? o.o

not too sure.. even though the odd-eye thing is not honestly a thing inherent to inhabitants of furrae, but usually there's some genetics shared among eye color...

Akisohida

Quote from: Turnsky on April 07, 2007, 07:38:04 AM

not too sure.. even though the odd-eye thing is not honestly a thing inherent to inhabitants of furrae, but usually there's some genetics shared among eye color...

Yeah. I am not referring to the fact that Abel has two different-colored eyes, just that they don't match both parents. :)
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Turnsky

Quote from: Akisohida on April 07, 2007, 07:45:03 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on April 07, 2007, 07:38:04 AM

Yeah. I am not referring to the fact that Abel has two different-colored eyes, just that they don't match both parents. :)

oh i know, they usually match either one of the parents, believe me.  :3
see?

Gabi

What I'm thinking is that Cid probably doesn't believe that's Abel. He may think it's an incubus posing as him. That has a flaw, of course. If that were the case, I don't see why the impostor would have kept the head-wings. But Cid may not have thought of that, or he may have thought of a possible reason.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly