03/06/07 [Cubi02] Mind reading 2

Started by AndersW, March 06, 2007, 11:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersW

I don't have the attention span to memorize stuff.

[edit Author=Amber]
I removed your other post, but I'll leave this one with the date and a warning that next time, you should put effort into putting the dates and more details into the subject. Failure to do so next time will just result in your post being snarfed.
[/edit]
[edit Author=llearch]
Oo, look, a number! :-)
[/edit]

Kenji

James! Bad squirrel! No thinking naughty things in public where just anyone can stroll up and read your mind!

GabrielsThoughts

I beleive the attention span of humans is something like 20 seconds, so a book of law would bore us to death also. I'd probably Upload my paper on clairvoyance and precognition to this website if the grade for my class wasn't still pending.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

thegayhare

I wonder how repeating nursery ryhmes and childrens songs would effect cubi

Zedd

Quote from: thegayhare on March 06, 2007, 11:37:51 PM
I wonder how repeating nursery ryhmes and childrens songs would effect cubi

Dont go there!

Distracting

For a lot of people, I think comatose would come pretty quickly. At least eight seconds into the mind reading of law.

I'd most likely amuse myself with a song or something...or my regular thoughts. Those are pretty random.

superluser

I do believe that that's article I, section 5 of the US Constitution being memorized.

Oh, and folk songs would work well, too.

(to the obvious tune  >:3)

To Anacreon in Heav'n,
    Where he sat in full glee,
    A few Sons of Harmony
    Sent a petition
    That he their Inspirer
    And Patron would be;
    When this answer arrived
    From the Jolly Old Grecian:
    "Voice, Fiddle, and Flute,
    No longer be mute,
    I'll lend you my name
    And inspire you to boot,
    And besides I'll instruct you,
    Like me, to intwine
    The Myrtle of Venus
    With Bacchus' Vine."

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

I guess it depends on how in tune your thoughts are.

Thinking a half a semitone flat would be... painful.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zorro

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 06, 2007, 11:34:22 PM
I believe the attention span of humans is something like 20 seconds, so a book of law would bore us to death also. I'd probably Upload my paper on clairvoyance and precognition to this website if the grade for my class wasn't still pending.

Nope, there are people like Business Contract writers and Scientists and Mathematicians that memorize and read stuff that can cause coma in normal people.

Manawolf

Never underestimate rule 34.  I'm sure Legend of the Overfiend may not be so much of a blow after a while, but it's still going to leave you shaken just hear about it.

ardaron

I'm pretty sure my mind would be a natural repellent to any cubi . . .

Inside my mind: Ooh look, sedimentary rocks!  Let's see, it looks like a quartz arenite, and judging by the cross-beds, I'd say it formed in a fluvial environment, with unidirectional current . . .

The Lurking Dragon

I've heard that They Might Be Giants is a good band for thinking about if you wish to drive away mindreaders. Multiplication tables might be good too.
edit - is that rock laid down in riverbeds? =) Geology can be mildly interesting since it covers earthquakes and volcanos.
"You can't see me or hear me unless I want you to."
The Lurking Dragon

ardaron

Quote from: The Lurking Dragon on March 07, 2007, 12:19:36 AM
I've heard that They Might Be Giants is a good band for thinking about if you wish to drive away mindreaders. Multiplication tables might be good too.
edit - is that rock laid down in riverbeds? =) Geology can be mildly interesting since it covers earthquakes and volcanos.

Yeah, fluvial refers to rivers.  Actually, though, now that I think of it, I think quartz arenite actually would be more likely to form in desert environments or beaches.

MaskedRetriever

Gad these are wonderous.

The "Cubi have Short Attention Spans" factoid hadn't really occurred to me before but FITS SO WELL when you apply it to what we've seen happen with the various cubi....

Zedd

Tarkya

Heh. Took me a moment to realize it was James thinking naughty thoughts. x3

I wonder if singing the same horrid, catchy refrain of some random classical song in your head is a good cubi deterrent.... *shifty eyes*

Distracting

Most likely because they'd end up too busy with the song being in their head.

I wonder what kind of vicious cycle would end up happening if you read the mind of someone trying to read your mind. Not a very good one, most likely.

Come to think of it, I've actually had mind reading experiences. They're kind of funny in retrospect.

Valynth

Quote from: Zorro on March 07, 2007, 12:14:59 AM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 06, 2007, 11:34:22 PM
I believe the attention span of humans is something like 20 seconds, so a book of law would bore us to death also. I'd probably Upload my paper on clairvoyance and precognition to this website if the grade for my class wasn't still pending.

Nope, there are people like Business Contract writers and Scientists and Mathematicians that memorize and read stuff that can cause coma in normal people.

Suddenly my AP calculus class is seeming less useless.  OF course if that doesn't work I'll start thinking in Java Script.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Manawolf

Quote from: Tarkya on March 07, 2007, 12:31:53 AM
Heh. Took me a moment to realize it was James thinking naughty thoughts. x3

I wonder if singing the same horrid, catchy refrain of some random classical song in your head is a good cubi deterrent.... *shifty eyes*

::Cues up "Banana Phone"::

Amber Williams

Some people are missing the point.

A) What one person might find offensive, another might find amusing.  4 chan exists for a reason.  And you are dealing with a race that has a lot more years under its belt.  Regardless, Cubi are different in personality as much as you and I.  And odds are a good few of them would find Banana phone/nursery rhymes/whatever entertaining.

What Fa'Lina was indicating was that like normal people, the average Cubi likely doesn't enjoy study lectures and if someone is thinking something really boring, they're more than likely to just ignore.

B) When someone goes out of their way to think annoying/repetative thoughts, that tends to make Cubi only more interested since it basically says "Oh hey. I'm trying to hide my thoughts but I'm an amatuer."

C) Just because a Cubi can hear your thoughts, it doesn't mean they are listening.  Most Cubi are adept at ignoring the general hustle/bustle of regular thoughts and can easily block all but the most blatent of thoughts.  Unless someone is literrally screaming in their head, a lot of Cubi don't read thoughts when they are in conversation with someone.  It's only when someone starts doing something sneaky that it becomes an interest.

That said...I really hope James doesn't kill me for adding him into the Demonology 101 article. I admit I didn't get his permission in advance.   :[

Nino

You guys ain't heard nothin' til you've heard me rant about Organic Chem. Benzene chemistry, alkenes, alkynes, alkyl halides... eeee <3

Edit: Oooh, I love the orange panda. And I'm sure anyone would consider it an honor to be cameo'd by you =)

Azraelle

I'm glad my boss isn't a cubi.  She'd realize just how much I hate my job and how bitter and angry it makes me.  I think I let out a mental scream every three minutes.  Sometimes I wonder if my co-workers can hear my thoughts.  Then I'll be all thinking, "yeah, I'm on to you.  I don't care if you do hear me.  You suck."

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Manawolf on March 07, 2007, 12:17:17 AM
Never underestimate rule 34.  I'm sure Legend of the Overfiend may not be so much of a blow after a while, but it's still going to leave you shaken just hear about it.

Urotsukidoji is about as traumatising as I am.

Re, the comic: James looks great when he's being all  >3

*fade*
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Brunhidden

things that i specifically would use to repel cubi

1- the memory of a medical report with full visual aides about how blowfly larvae are being used to remove necrotic tissue from wounds by essentially pouring jars of maggots onto open wounds, bandaging over them, and repeating the process twice weekly.

2- my childhood memory of walking in on my extremly hairy, fat, nasty, and quite frankly anatomically impossible father when he was coming out of the shower. only to be used as last resort for risk of suicide

3- the formula that computer numeric controlled machine tools use to regulate speed, feedrates, and non-modial looping, and the few hundred hours of 'footage' of me standing in front of a giant robot that does absolutely nothing but make a noise that makes cats explode. theese robots still have dents from where i banged my head repeatedly for about 3 years

4- nightmares about what a curious family member will make as experimental foodstuffs. for some reason this nearly always involves fish, asparagus, AND BBQ sause.

5- badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM! MUSHROOM!

of course anyone with the ability to could always just medetate, and have a blank mind of only the slightest whispers. if anything else a cubi would get reaaaaly bored of a mental image of a peacefull babeling brook....or you could make them go to the bathroom.

QuoteDo you hear those voices telling me to kill you too? whoo, thank goodness. and here i thought i was going mad
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Valynth

Quote from: Azraelle on March 07, 2007, 01:11:29 AM
I'm glad my boss isn't a cubi.  She'd realize just how much I hate my job and how bitter and angry it makes me.  I think I let out a mental scream every three minutes.  Sometimes I wonder if my co-workers can hear my thoughts.  Then I'll be all thinking, "yeah, I'm on to you.  I don't care if you do hear me.  You suck."

Remember in the workplace everyone can hear you scream, but no one cares.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

superluser

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 07, 2007, 01:09:26 AMA) What one person might find offensive, another might find amusing.  4 chan exists for a reason.  And you are dealing with a race that has a lot more years under its belt.  Regardless, Cubi are different in personality as much as you and I.  And odds are a good few of them would find Banana phone/nursery rhymes/whatever entertaining.

I defy you to find someone who enjoys Richard Stallman's rendition of the Free Software Song.  It's both boring *and* out of tune.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Manawolf

It can sometimes be about shock tactics, which is why I'm thinking combat wise.  Cubi trying to find what your next move will be when suddenly they come upon a "Flash" of something from Overfiend, or maybe the AH section of Fchan.

Plus, how well would a cubi be able to keep up with someone who thinks rather fast, like a person with ADHD.  Those trains will lead you to nowhere.

James StarRunner

Holy crap!! Is that my mug in there?! I guess it is!

For those wondering what evil thought I'm thinking, it would probably be, Heh heh, I just ate a bean burrito and I've got a musical present for you.

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 07, 2007, 01:09:26 AM
That said...I really hope James doesn't kill me for adding him into the Demonology 101 article. I admit I didn't get his permission in advance.   :[
Bad Amber! Bad!

Nah, It's all good! Great even! I can even ignore the fact his wings aren't showing. Then again even I keep forgetting to add the glove patch myself.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Manawolf on March 07, 2007, 01:21:35 AM
Plus, how well would a cubi be able to keep up with someone who thinks rather fast, like a person with ADHD.  Those trains will lead you to nowhere.

How would a person with ADHD be able to handle intense combat effectively?

Seriously, just because a Cubi has a thought-reading ability, it isnt the only trick in their circus.  If a Cubi is foolish enough to be completly dependant on thought-reading, then odds are they are going to get smacked down.  And rightfully so.

Brunhidden

this insinuates that cubi are vulnerable to monks.

tranquil mind + kung fu grip seems to be a winning combination.

QuoteAnd then the ninja monkeys arrived, it was horrible.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.