Idea that need approval and help.

Started by Jyrras, December 31, 2006, 02:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jyrras

I dont Know if its alright, but are we allowed to make sprites of the DMFA cast if credit is given to the creator of the characters?

Zedd

Oh it so depends on that my roorat friend

llearch n'n'daCorna

Your best bet is to ask Amber directly.

After all, it's her characters, not ours.

Having said that, I suspect the answer will be "yes, as long as I get credit for creation of them", as that's more or less what she usually says. Albeit somewhat more poetically, I think. :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jyrras

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2006, 07:51:18 AM

After all, it's her characters, not ours.

Having said that, I suspect the answer will be "yes, as long as I get credit for creation of them", as that's more or less what she usually says. Albeit somewhat more poetically, I think. :-)

well i already sent an email to her that talked about it, though i did not get a reply yet and i sent it about 2 weeks ago.

Sid

Quote from: Jyrras on December 31, 2006, 11:31:43 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2006, 07:51:18 AM

well i already sent an email to her that talked about it, though i did not get a reply yet and i sent it about 2 weeks ago.

...we maybe should add something to the WikuWiki FAQ about Amber needing a while to reply to mails and PMs. With "a while" being a slight euphemism ;) (As she has said herself here and there)

On-topic, I'd say it just counts as fan-art, unless you're going to use them in some other project of your own. But that's just my wild guess.
:boogie

Amber Williams

Anyone is free to make any DMFA related thing, be it sprites, MP3 themesong, art, fanfics, whatever...as long as there is some acknowledgement to where the characters are from and you aren't trying to go out making a profit on them.

Someones made a couple DMFA sprites before and they were pretty amusing.

Admittedly the only thing I'm somewhat worried about was your choice of username.  There are a few forum-members who actually are the original players of characters in DMFA (Wildy, Azlan, Aaryanna) and so a few people are going to be confused and assume you are likewise.  I should point out that even though people like Wildy/Azlan/Aaryanna do exist around here, they post as themselves and roleplay tends to be discouraged on any form but the RP forum.  So posing as Jyrras might end up badly.  At this time I'm a bit undecided on the issue so I guess only future actions/time will tell.

Either way, best of luck to ya, and welcome around.

Azlan

I'm not the actual Azlan, I eliminated him years ago and assumed his identity...  :rolleyes
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Damaris

Well, obviously.  Who'd want to talk to the real Azlan?

*edit*

Personally, I'm going to go with the real person thing-  I would prefer that, unless this happens to be the real Jyrras, that you would change your username.  We feel this falls under the "no cloning of accounts" rule.  Since there is a Jyrras that the character is based off of, we'd like to hold that display name open for that particular person.

Please let me know if you need help finding where to do this on your profile control panel.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Zedd

Sides what if the real Jyyras showed up...He would be ticked

ChaosTiger

Quote from: Zedd on December 31, 2006, 03:27:41 PM
Sides what if the real Jyyras showed up...He would be ticked
ooh, I hope so... I'd like to see the Gryff Mech in action  :eager

Aridas

won't he still have his account under the same name regardless?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Sid on December 31, 2006, 12:35:14 PM
...we maybe should add something to the WikuWiki FAQ about Amber needing a while to reply to mails and PMs. With "a while" being a slight euphemism ;) (As she has said herself here and there)

Like that?

... maybe I should find an Amber quote for the delay time? :-)

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 31, 2006, 04:12:54 PM
won't he still have his account under the same name regardless?

Yes, but the "visible name" would be something different. Which means the Real Jyrras, as it were, can have a different hidden name and the "Jyrras" visible name.

Azlan

No one has heard from the original Jyrras in years...

Wildy

Dosn't mean someone else should take his name for the boards.

I'm with Damaris on this one.

Zedd

I agree...I mean you dont want someone take your chars brothers name right Wildy?

Damaris

I can change the actual login name as well.  Cause I'm cool like that.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

bill

Which I presume is rather fun when you don't actually alert the person to the change.  :mwaha

Sid

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2006, 04:17:30 PM
Quote from: Sid on December 31, 2006, 12:35:14 PM

Like that?

... maybe I should find an Amber quote for the delay time? :-)

Yes, that's awesome (I think I technically also have a waiting-for-reply mail from mid-2005 or so... but (a) I guess the mail's lost in the HD crash and (b) the issue has more or less resolved itself by now, so I don't think it's an issue worth quoting anymore :P).
Reference... I think there's something in the DMFA Forum Rules post, and on the DMFA About page, even though they both don't really pin it down in my eyes. Might hunt through the Forum Archives later... but I think your edit pretty much nailed it for the moment (even though refs are of course nifty in general). :)

Quote from: BillBuckner on December 31, 2006, 04:57:56 PM
Which I presume is rather fun when you don't actually alert the person to the change.  :mwaha

Only until they get the idea to just check their own Forum Profile which is linked to from any thread they posted in :P
:boogie

Azlan

Quote from: Wildy on December 31, 2006, 04:28:06 PM

Indeed this is true.

Caswin

Quote from: Azlan on January 01, 2007, 05:22:53 AM
Quote from: Wildy on December 31, 2006, 04:28:06 PM

Indeed this is true.
Quoted for redundant truth.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Alondro

Quote from: Azlan on December 31, 2006, 04:23:00 PM
No one has heard from the original Jyrras in years...

*Charline burps, absorbing the essence of one stored for some time*  Mmmm... mousie soul... *erfs!*  It's not his!  It's another mouse!  Really!   :shifty
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

thegayhare

Saist

Netami

Where's my creepy > annoyance scale when I need it?

Ice4s

Sounds interesting idea to me ^_^

But on the other hand and out of curiousm, who are actualy real ppl of the DMFA story? Amber or any one could write a list plz  :mowcookie

Wonder is Abel have any real orgin  :mowmeep

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ice,

You see the people in the comic? Some of them are based on Furcadians. Some are based on vague remembrances of Furcadians from way back when Amber was still playing. Some of them are entirely Amber's.

It'd be nice to have a list, but I doubt even Amber knows everyone in the second category.

*shrug* It's a generic description. If people turn up who turn out ot have been playing Furcadia back about 6 years ago or so, then they might be people who have someone in the comic based on them. Until they appear, the entire subject is pretty much wishy-washy hand-waving, and not much else. So we might as well drop it, and get on with speculations and flimflam.

Capiche?

Kasarn

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 02, 2007, 06:26:01 AM
It'd be nice to have a list

Quote from: Amber PanykoJohn (Dan's old player) actually doesn't read DMFA and hasnt for a couple years. As far as he's concerned Dan is my character...though if I ever make it rich and sell off the rights to a show, I'm suppose to give him a cut.

I haven't heard from Jyrras' old player in years. More or less I've taken Jyrras as my own character as well.

In terms of who is: Wildy, Azlan, Merlitz, and Aaryanna, and Aliyka have real people backing them that I have been in contact with and occasionally I discuss with. If I was to do anything extreme with these characters, I'd throw it past them first.

Dan, Jyrras, Pyroduck, and Biggs once had human counterparts but I've lost touch with them so long ago or they've given full permission rights so they more or less are mine. (Mwhahahah)

Alexsi is a particularly difficult exception in that her original player passed away. Which while I suppose that gives me full rights to Alexsi(I highly doubt her family is involved or interested), it also means I don't feel necessarily comfortable doing whatever. (mweh...)

Mab, Pip, Lorenda, Kria, Basement Rats, Matilda, Abel, Regina, Dark Pegasus, myself and Fluffy are mine 100%.

Although Pyroduck has turned up on the forums on rare occasion.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Where was that quote, Kasarn? (So I can wikuwiki it, of course)

Zedd

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 02, 2007, 08:39:12 AM
Where was that quote, Kasarn? (So I can wikuwiki it, of course)

It's topic #2767 on The Nice, posted on 23/12/2005, if you're still looking for it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E