Abel's Story, 10-31-06

Started by DigitalMan, October 31, 2006, 03:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalMan

Well now, that's demented...

*checks, sees no other topic* >.>;

Zedd

DigitalMan

*still can't believe he made a topic at all, let alone one for the comic* Fear me, for I am ninja!

But on topic, it looks like Devin's past might be just a little more screwed up than average, wouldn't you say? There are certain conditions where one must say, "Alright, you're allowed to be a jerk."

Kasarn

Jim Halisstrad

And that folks, is what we call the Crazy eyes. 
Of course, that term is past it's Expiration date, but there are a lot of other Sick things I could have said.  Fortunately, having a new Abel's story is Nursing my mental health.  Actually it's Burning up with ideas about this comic.  Hey, I bet Devin's mom had a wicked sense of humor, she probably Slayed them up at the abortion clinic.

Netami

Has her relatives arrived yet?

Have her relatives arrived yet?

The latter sounds right, but maybe it isn't. The English language is funny like that.

DigitalMan

:erk If we were speaking about a real person Jim would certainly be awarded "Most insensitive asshole."

But she's not real, so you're lucky :B

EDIT: And you are completely accurate Natami; grammar dictates that it should be "have." Considering the same error was on the standardized writing test I just took, I'm surprised anyone caught it.

komissarmakarov

Bigods- poor Devin. :cry:

On one hand, I must congratulate Amber on this. The raw emotion is wonderfully captured, and I'll have to admit that its intensity somewhat scared me a little.

Which leads me on to my next point- Amber, I hope you're not inspired by actual events :dface

What's more frightening is his mother's remark of there being 'others'. Jeebus krispies, I'm creeped out.

(That being said, and I know this is horrible of me, is anyone else seeing this lead... somewhere a bit less PG?)

Magic

True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Tapewolf

So Devin's mother was a psycho?  That would mess him up pretty good.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Psaakyrn

So, how many others were there? Chances are that the father is involved somehow with the decision to kill the others, but how?

However, the real question, is not why she killed the others, but of why she she did not kill him. What made him different from the rest, that she didn't try to kill him?

Regarding grammer: Both are correct: "Her relatives" can be seen as plural, or as a singular group.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

ITOS

Ouch.

But I still wonder if it's the father's fault that Devin's mom went crazy or if she always has been like that.
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Sid

Quote from: Psaakyrn on October 31, 2006, 04:33:32 AM
Regarding grammer: Both are correct: "Her relatives" can be seen as plural, or as a singular group.

...my intuition somehow doubts the "singular group" thesis. *flips open his "Practical English Usage" book*
The normal structure for such groups is "singular noun + singular/plural verb" (British English allows both, depending on context; American English normally uses the singular verb), like "the team has won".
A plural noun being used with singular verbs usually happens when you mean things like "five tons of metal is a lot", "two and two is four", "more than one person is happy", "one of them is happy", "the gin and tonic costs too much", "The United States is...".
I never heard of "the relatives has". The word "relatives" is plural, so it should get a plural verb. So it's either "her relative has" or "her relatives have" (or "one of her relatives has").
Of course, that's my intuition and two hastily checked sections of a book. If you got some proof that "relatives" is a singular group like "team" or "family", please show me. English isn't my first language, so it's possible that I'm simply overlooking something.

On-topic... wow. That's pretty messed up. Devin's mother killed her other children? His father left... because Devin existed? Stuff like that really messes up your childhood. X_x
:boogie

bill

The tricky thing about singular groups is when you have something like "Six members of his family", or even worse, "Most of his family". I believe the first is plural, and the second is singular. I'm not sure, though.

Vidar

Maybe it's canadian english.

Also, Devin's mom is one crazy sick b*****. Killing your own kids? Does furrae have a hell?
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Psaakyrn

*remembers something, and points to http://pholph.com/index_a.php?Strip=365 just because*

And regarding the point of "relatives", I'll give an example of them being used as a group:
"Has her relatives arrived?" (as opposed to "Have her relatives arrived?")
"One of her relatives has arrived." (as opposed to "One relative has arrived")
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

ShiningShadow

The more I see Devin's past I kinds reminds of my past *not exactly the same* Anywho that's my past. Right now Devin as a kid should not went through this but there's something there between his mother and father something that made her cracked under the pressure of killing her children time and time again.
I think it's the mom guilty conscience got to her and the truth came out that way. I'm begining to understand Devin's characteristics and the way he emotionally handle things in life. I feel sorry for him but I think he should examine himself more to deal with these things if he has already done it. Man the raw emotion was so cool i love it like my spanish soaps.

Nerikull

Quote from: Vidar on October 31, 2006, 06:31:04 AM
Maybe it's canadian english.

Also, Devin's mom is one crazy sick b*****. Killing your own kids? Does furrae have a hell?

*coughs and points to the "Jack" comic*  Mmmmmaybe.

---

Yeah, that would be a fairly damaging to a kid. Also, her reference to the "others"...brrr.
--Nerikull Murakami
"When life hands you lemons, chuck them back until life hands you the winning lottery ticket!"

Stygian

*"Ninjas" DigitalMan from the darkness*

SURPRISE BUTTSECKS?!

Anyhow, the story of my life. What really disturbs me though is the "I should have killed you like the others!" statement. True, I do find all of it good in a way. But there are certain things... too lowly to be allowed.

Amber Williams

A)  Oftentimes when I'm typing for certain characters, I type what I talk...which doesn't always equate to proper perfect English.  Which is why words like Dunno, Couldya, and such will pop in from time to time.

B) I'm going to club Dave Hopkins in the knees.  Then steal his wallet....and possibly his wife.  Look for it next Conifur as a panel event.

Alondro

*Charles erf*  She prolly ate her other children!  I have suspicions...  :shifty  *looks at Charline*  It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of such things!

*Charline growls*  That wasn't my fault!  He triple dog dared me!  I couldn't just let something like that go!  Anyway, I'm sure Devin's mother had a perfectly rational explanation in mind... until she died.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

willow186129

*runs over to Devin...hugs him...ninjas away*

Poor Devin ;-; It's not really his fault his mom was a whackjob.

Yeah, the referance to "others" creeped me out o_o Craaaazyyyy

Aridas

Wow. That'd screw you up good. Devin's a justified ass.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Amber Panyko on October 31, 2006, 07:36:09 AM
B) I'm going to club Dave Hopkins in the knees.  Then steal his wallet....and possibly his wife.  Look for it next Conifur as a panel event.

*makes note to go to Conifur*

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 31, 2006, 07:53:50 AM
Wow. That'd screw you up good. Devin's a justified ass.

... yet still an ass. Unmitigated, even.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gabi

Quote from: DigitalMan on October 31, 2006, 03:28:34 AM
:erk If we were speaking about a real person Jim would certainly be awarded "Most insensitive asshole."

But she's not real, so you're lucky :B

EDIT: And you are completely accurate Natami; grammar dictates that it should be "have." Considering the same error was on the standardized writing test I just took, I'm surprised anyone caught it.
The first thing I did when I clicked on this topic was search for the word 'Has' to see if anyone else had pointed it out yet.

Anyway, that's awful. No wonder it affected Devin so much.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Stig Hemmer

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 31, 2006, 08:25:31 AM
... yet still an ass. Unmitigated, even.

In his school days he was an ass, no doubt about it.  However, it looks as if he has grown up now... mostly. What he has done to Abel since the funeral has been silly pranks really, they only seem bad because of Abels memories.

Devon should see that Abel is scared silly of him, so he shouldn't have done even the pranks. Still, better the prankster than the previous bully.
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

rt

:erk wow that is harsh .. something like that would indeed mess you up.

.. an extra nice evil touch with "the others"  :mwaha

As for the grammer/spelling police ..
*tosses some random punctuation and miss-spelled words in a pit and watches chaos ensue*

MT Hazard

Spoken Grammar if often ignored by the majority of people, that makes this strip more realistic in my opinion. The thing I picked up on was Devin saying "Your crushing me" I would imagine a child would be more likely to say "your hurting me". brilliant atmoshere. Would be devastating for a child to know that his mother didn't love him and his father left because he was born. Plus the dead siblings bit,very creepy. Also he is carrying conflicting images of her in his head, which of course would cause further problems. It could be she did care for him a bit but not enough to override the hate she had for him as he 'caused' her husband to leave.It could also be the husband that caused the killing, one way or another.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Arcalane

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 31, 2006, 04:29:24 AM
So Devin's mother was a psycho?  That would mess him up pretty good.

Feverish? Hmmm. If it weren't for the fact Devin seems healthy enough, I'd blame it on that lovely three letter acronym - STD.

As for the 'others'... abortion - one way or another - is my guess.

DigitalMan

The more I look at that page the more frightened and creeped out I am... It's the kind of thing that sends a chill down your spine. Which is good for Amber, bad for Devin :dface