Deathtrap Dungeon; Freedom is Slavery! (OOC; Closed)

Started by Mechanisto, March 20, 2010, 03:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do we want to do OOC comments?

let's use OOC brackets; it's more precise!
2 (25%)
Let's pick a color to use for all OOC text; it's less cumbersome!
5 (62.5%)
I have a better idea... see my post in the OOC thread.
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Mechanisto

Current Character Roster

The RP is currently closed.

Check out the RP itself from the beginning, if you like, right here.

The RP is, once again, closed. If you have already send a character idea to me and I have responded, but you haven't sent a full character sheet, you're still in.

Player:Character:Race:Species:Job:
techmaster-glitchXephelonMythosGreen ImbuerEnchanter/Artificer
danmanGlupChuulNephropidaeCerebral Vendor
LiataiKittrickGryphon BJaybirdPostmaster
Drayco84ZyraisAngelDragonSecurity/Surveilance
WhitefoxNathalzarUndeadGiraffe/Ex-DemonLibrarian/Archivist
MeanyBarbarus HagooWereFelineNot Specified
BasiliskBaseel WolkshammerDemonGerman ShepherdField Marshall
TipodMnogoElementalMudmanSecurity/Labor

Currently Inactive:
SquirrelWizardUrist RokkarBeingMoleMining/Masonry
Ashen StarAsheilatharrDragonValley?Financial Securities

Missing and/or Inactive:
otaku999KatyaDemonHamster/CatTorturer

Players who are in, but haven't sent me a character sheet:
  Kafzeil

Many thanks to Whitefox for helping me figure out tables. Yay!

Note: All brief OOC comments in the main RP thread should be color coded for clarity.
Today's official OOC threat level is: Teal (Low risk of OOC commentary)
More substantial OOC comments should be posted in the OOC thread, and linked to if necessary.

Introduction

The dark, stone walls echoed with the sounds of tapping chisels and the scraping of tiny, scaled feet... the dark, oppressive gloom was punctuated only by the glint of countless green eyes; a constellation of feverish activity. Swarms of tiny, reptilian humanoids flowed through the hallways and arches, dwarfed by the architecture around them. There was very little talking; the occasional yip or bark between laborers, or the hushed, hissing conversations of stonesmiths as they poured over maps and diagrams.
   Zeshak moved quickly through the constant flow of scaled bodies. His people were tiny compared to almost every other race in existence... but he knew these halls were massive by any standard of living. The stone here was tough, as well; they had ruined entire bushels of bronze tools in the first week alone.
   He reached the final room at the end of the main hall; one of only two rooms his people had not furnished. It was a huge circular chamber, ringed with equally large archways. Each was set with gems and inscribed with strange symbols, but revealed only to a flat stone wall behind. They were no mere physical passages.
   Zeshak awaited. After perhaps an hour, the gems on the farthest archway began to glow. A shimmering surface formed, like a pool of light, and a sharply silhouetted figure appeared. At first, it resembled a woman; but it slithered rather than walked, pulling a massive, muscular tail through the portal in great loops and coils. Other than her tail, she resembled a perfectly ordinary Being of serpentine descent. She wore the same strange outfit he had seen before (something she referred to as a "Business Suit"), and held a clipboard in one arm.
   "Foreman. As specified by our contract, I have arrived to do a preliminary examination of the facilities. I look forward to seeing the results of your efforts."
   "Of course, blessed mistress." He knelt on the floor, bowing until his head touched the stone tiles.
   She gestured for him to rise. "Please... I'm not yet the ordained priestess for this place. My name will suffice until then."
   He rose, nodding and brushing off his legs, and trying not to look too nervous. "Yes, mistress Nadhiya. Of course. This way, please."

He led her through the cavernous main hall, describing the immediate layout. They passed through many hallways and rooms, with bare but cleanly built stonework. She took especial note of the waterways that flowed through every single room; shallow channels and pools set in the floor tiles, troughs embedded throughout the walls, and smooth, artificial waterfalls cascading down the sides of some of the larger chambers. The water was warm, clean, and never-ending, and nobody had been able to figure out it's ultimate source.
   She eventually turned to face him, speaking softly. "Your people's work has been outstanding. I received your report regarding the difficulty of working the local stone, and had a piece of it analyzed... your difficulty is understandable, and your progress forgiven. Be sure to pass my thanks to your people."
   "This is high praise, blessed one! We thank you." He stood straight, feeling a surge of both relief and pride.
    She took the tiny black rune-stone from her belt, unfolding it with a snap and poking at it with a finger. It let off musical chirps, like a tiny metal bird. She slithered back the way they had come, gesturing for him to follow. "How are the chambers I requested?"
   He hopped after her, running to keep up. "The chambers are all in order, blessed mistress. The portals, as you know, were delivered and installed by the ogre magus you sent. A group of shadow goblins installed the door for the treasure vault, and delivered the forge and smelting gear as needed."
   She snapped her shiny magic stone shut, and clasped it to the belt of her skirt. "Good. And the living quarters?"
   "There are many lairs for living in; many sizes, for many creatures. Some big open halls for feasting and dancing, or selling things. Other halls good for whole tribes of little creatures; we make good homes out of holes in walls for now. Food, we are not so sure of... but water is clean, and flows everywhere. Water is even warm. No need for smokey, sooty bonfires. Not so sure of garbage... rooms for throwing piles of trash, but no great pits or chasms. Maybe throw trash through portals?"
   She grimaced at that. "No... portal bandwidth is at a premium, and we need to keep their usage to a minimum. They aren't designed for bulk transport; we still haven't figured out why teleportation and divination fails between this dungeon and the rest of the world, so the portals are our only line of communication. Hmm.. we'll have to solve the refuse problem as we go."

Their return to the portal chamber was brisk, and Nadhiya's demeanor was professional. "Your people have earned their pay. Each of your laborers may leave with as much gold as they can carry on their person. No carts or wagons. Your tools and supplies will be transported for you."
   Again, Zeshak had to move quickly to keep up. "There is much work left, of course. So many more walls and rooms to fix; the lads were only just getting used to the stone. Digging new halls, even... there was rich gold in the few new halls we dug. Probably much more to find."
   "Certainly. Your people are done here, and our contract is complete. But we will continue to need a skilled civil engineer such as yourself. We will contact you in the future when we need any major renovations or repairs done."
   Zeshak nodded, and cleared his throat before speaking "Contract work... very expensive. Perhaps... you want regular workers? Maybe... stay on? "
   Nadhiya paused just before they reached the portal chamber, and turned back to regard him. Her face showed a touch of surprise. "You have a home, Zeshak... a tribe of your own. I can't ask you to abandon them for our sake."
   "Maybe. But this place... it is also a home. People will live here, soon. The workers, they are thinking... maybe a good thing to stay, and help it work." He looked back over his shoulder. "If we leave now, it is a great accomplishment for us, and good pay. But if we stay... maybe it will be a good home. Maybe we be part of great thing here."
   She seemed to stare at him for awhile, then glanced around in consideration. She took the magic stone from her belt, flipped it open, and held it to the side of her head. "Nadhiya. Yes, only just. Of course. One thing, though... I think I've found our general contractor for the dungeon. Yes, certainly. Mmh... alright. By next week, at the latest. You too, sir."
   She snapped the stone shut. "Discuss it with your people. I can arrange for portal transportation for any families that need to move in, and to transport your final pay. You can have one of the larger halls as a common township, if you like."
   He nodded. "I will talk with them. Yes."
   "One other thing, though... as general contractor, you'll handle all construction and maintenance for the dungeon. However, your people are also a part of this community... and I'm placing you in charge of them. I'm giving you a seat on the Creature Council."
   Zeshak's bright green eyes grew wide, and his jaw went slack. She quickly added, "No no, not the full Creature Council... just a local council, for this particular community. We'll be inviting quite a few other races to live here, and each of them will have a single representative on the council. I want you to have a seat on that council."
   His expression lessened from completely astonished to merely surprised. "Who... else on council?"
   "That... is yet to be seen." She frowned in deliberation. "But we'll know soon enough. I'll be holding a meet-and-greet here in one week's time, and inviting as many significant personages as possible. Each will be in charge of an aspect of the dungeon itself. We'll have to hope the rank and power will be enough to draw the sort of creatures we want... and it's vital we get as many different races as possible. Variety and versatility will be our lifeblood."
   "Do I get to vote? On stuff?"
   "Of course."
   "I vote we not call it Creature Council. Already one of those... and way bigger than us. Too confusing."
   She arched an eyebrow. "Well... alright. What do you think we should call it?"
   "Dunno. Just not that." He scratched the back of his head. "maybe we vote on what to call it when we all together?"
   A quiet pause. "Well... I can't file the paperwork to form an official group until we know what kind of group it is in the first place."
   "Well... what else they call group of important people who vote on stuff?"
   "A... committee?" She looked almost hesitant, as if she found the word unpleasant.
   Zeshak shrugged.
   Turned for the exit portal. "Well... we have a week to think about it. I'm sure we'll think of something more dignified by then."

A week later, Zeshak's laborers were busy once more. They flowed through the main hall, now carrying scrolls and parchments rather than stones and tools. Lines went into the portal chamber, and all eight arches were lit up. As soon as one opened up to a new location, a dozen kobolds scampered through with armloads of papers.
   The portals led to a vast array of places, spread throughout the far reaches of Furrae; cities, strongholds, caverns... the ports of pirate fleets, the portal chambers of academic buildings, the outposts of mercenary warlords, the camps of nomadic tribes... anywhere a monstrous or villainous creature might reside. Wherever the kobolds emerged, they scattered out in search of a place to post their bills. The finely crafted scrolls found their way to billboards, walls and gateposts, for all to see:

WANTED!
   Powerful creatures needed for a newly formed dungeon, only just refurbished!
   Join our new home, and help guide our community to greatness!
   Hard work, experience, and distinct supernatural powers are welcome!
   All unique races guaranteed a seat on the local creature committee! No race to exotic!
   Join us for a meet-and-greet, tour, and informal interview! Free lunch buffet!

The bottom of the bills had all been slit into tabs, each bearing the co-ordinate runes needed for a public portal transit.

Premise

Jeez, this took me long enough to sort out. In any case... ever play Dungeon Keeper?

No? Well nevermind. Just keep reading.

In this RP, the players assume the role of classic fantasy monsters that inhabit a subterranean dungeon. Instead of being a neglected dilapidated deathtrap, this dungeon is a professionally maintained franchise; the monsters are not only employees, but upstanding members of the community. While they will eventually need to destroy legendary heroes and lay waste to civilization, these are far-off goals. For now, they have to raise families, hold jobs, and put up with their neighbors annoying habit of putting up tacky lawn ornaments. Especially that medusa down the hall... who needs that many ceramic lawn gnomes, anyhow?
   Depending on the community's success, the dungeon might become a comfortable middle-class gated community full of happy married couples with a brood of 2.5 spawnlings... or a ramshackle Levitown, consumed by petty squabbling and ripe for heroic predation. The fate of your white-picket bastion of evil rests on your shoulders. Assuming you have shoulders. Be sure to pack a sense of irony, some dry wit, or a few extra cans of black humor.

Player Character Responsibilities

First and foremost, you are the dungeon's most powerful inhabitants. When the dungeon is breached by invaders, you are the first and last line of defense. If a dangerous mission requires someone to venture into the world at large, your name is at the top of the list of volunteers. Whenever anything just plain darn weird happens, you have to go investigate it.
   Military rank will not be available to the characters at first. The Dungeon won't have an army at all until it becomes strong enough to swat at hornet's nests. Participation in the militia, however, is mandatory. No exceptions.

Secondly, characters have professional responsibilities. You might be in charge of a vital dungeon facility; the magical library, the blacksmith, the apothecary, the torture chamber, and so on. You could also assume a community role; leader of the neighborhood watch, the home-owner's association, the tourism division, or a daycare and babysitting service.
   This job is often assigned to your entire species, to make the best use of their unique talents. You can usually afford to sit back and issue orders to your minions, but some problems will require your personal touch.

Thirdly, each character acts as a sponsor for their race. When a powerful new creature moves in, it helps persuade others of the same species to immigrate and find work as a minion. They know they'll be treated reasonably well as long as one of their own sits on the council. You might not actually care about their well being... you might even have to fight them off when they try to usurp your rank and power... but you can still control them, which makes the Dungeon stronger as a whole.

It is important to note that the Dungeon will only allow one member of each species to sit on the Local Creature Council. Since the player characters will all be members of this council, it follows that each player will have to play a different race. Therefore, if multiple people want to play the same race, I will select the most appropriate, well written, and interesting character submission. This goes double for half breeds. If one player wants a Half-dragon-half-mythos, nobody else can play a dragon or a mythos. If every single player ends up wanting to play a Cubi, the GM may pitch an undignified hissy fit. No promises, though.
   Please note... I can think of all kinds of ways to justify this in the RP, but it really comes down to one factor; I want as much variety among the protagonists as possible. Cubi, Demons and Mythos are interesting, but their racial interactions are already thoroughly explored by official canon.
   As partial compensation, you may pick whatever kind of outrageous monster you like. Seriously. Go ahead and flip through the D&D monster manual, or pick your favorite horror-movie monster. Figuring out a way for a gelatinous cube to meaningfully participate on a committed is left as an exercise to the player.

On one final note, the GM politely requests that players consider creating original character concepts, rather than just using their standard forum avatar... unless your usual forum avatar would genuinely want to work in a dungeon, and is at the same power level as the other characters.

Character Skeleton

This is your character's skeleton. Their skeleton. How did it get out? Why is it walking around? Who knows! Ooooooo... spooky!

Character Format

This, on the other hand is the layout I would like people to use when submitting a character concept. Please remember that the RP calls for each player to be a different species. That goes double for hybrids... if you want to be a half-dragon half-mythos, go ahead... but that means no other players can be dragons or mythos. As mentioned below, all three types of Gryphons are "Gryphons", whereas Type B Phoenix are just beings.
   In all cases, the player characters themselves are all about the same level of power and competence. If the party includes a dragon, a cubi, and a being, they are a very weak dragon, an average cubi, and an extremely powerful being.

Name:  The character's name.
Player: The forum user's name.
Race: The type of creature or monster the character is. (Ex.: Miss Mab's race is "Fae")
Species: The type of animal you are, if applicable (Ex.: Daniel T'Fiona's species is "Feline")
Creature Rating: A balance between individual power and racial solidarity (see below)

Description: A paragraph about the character's appearance and personality.

Responsabilities: A line or two about the character's job in the Dungeon. For new characters, either leave this blank or make a note of the job they WANT to have.

Backstory: A few short paragraphs about the character's past and history, how they got where they are now, and their plans for the future.

Attributes: A description of the character's untrained abilities and natural defences; physical, mental, social, and supernatural. Includes things like strength, charisma, agility, intelligence, spirit, raw magical power, and countless others. List any and all that apply, and describe them. Anything you don't list here is assumed to be completely average.

Powers: A well defined list of the character's (or their race's) arsenal of unique special powers. Describe how each of them works, what they can (and can't) do, and how powerful they are. Most powers do one very specific thing; others are very versatile, but require preperation and resources (like hi-tech gadgeteering or magical spellcasting). Powers can also be totally mundane; great wealth, beauty, political clout, and celebrity status could be considered powers.

Flaws: An optional list of disadvantages the character (or their race) suffers from. If a flaw can't be used against you and doesn't present a serious health hazard at least some of the time, it's not a flaw!

Skills: A list of mundane things the character has trained, studied, or practiced in. They represent both competence with and knowledge about a fairly specific activity. They can include combat training with one specific weapon, professional experience with one specific job, or study in one specific field of science, technology, or magic.

NOTE: A skill can represent training with one of your powers, to make it more reliable or accurate; Characters with the power to fly will probably also want the Aerobatics skill, allowing them to perform complicated stunts and battle maneuvers. Magical Powers also benefit greatly from Magical Skills; Magic Power determines raw force of will, while magic Skill represents discipline, reliability, and practical knowledge of how magic really works. If you don't take a skill, your power is "wild;" it just does what it does.

"Creature Rating"
   This is a measure of how significant the members of your species are as individuals. Creatures with a high CR are individually powerful, and feared by weaker races. However, they also have much less social solidarity; there are much fewer of them around, and they are less likely to cooperate with each other. This makes them harder to replace, and much harder to control.
   The benefits of high CR balance evenly against the drawbacks, so a high or low CR is neither good nor bad. In all cases, this applies to NPCs only; Player Characters are exceptional members of their race, and equal to other PCs in power.

There are five levels, a few of which have subtypes. You may select any of the following eight choices to describe your character's race (or suggest your own, if none seem to fit).

CR 1: Hordelings   These races are normally insignificant as individuals, and must gather in large groups to get anything done at all. Personal accomplishments are often unimportant to such races, while utter loyalty and mindless dedication are seen as virtues. Isolated from their tribe, they cannot survive. Their sheer numbers, along with their lack of safety concerns, allows them to perform great things on occasion. Examples include Goblins, Kobolds, and Pygmy Shrews.

CR 1: Hive Drones
   Hive Drones are functionally similar to hordelings, but their weakness is mentally hardwired; they are slave drones who depend on their master for instructions. They can be extremely powerful and intelligent, but lack the ability to make their own decisions. If seperated from their master, they would be unable to even feed or protect themselves. Leadership is strictly genetic. Examples include undead or robot minions, and certain breeds of Insectis.

CR 2: Minions.
   These races are only somewhat below average as individuals; either physically, mentally, or socially. They can survive just fine alone, but must work in groups to accomplish anything great, or to gain any advantage over other more powerful races. They often serve as underlings to superior races to makeup for their own limitations. Leadership often falls to whoever is most powerful, and they often have no problem with slavery. Some races even prefer to serve as slaves, rather than deal with the chore of making their own decisions. Examples include Orcs, Lizardmen, and Warp-Aci

CR 3: Equals.
   These races are the most likely to form large civilizations and rich cultures. Members of this race expect to be treated fairly (by each other), and dislike those who abuse their privelages. They celebrate and revere personal achievement, without tolerating abuse from those of greater wealth or status. Good cultures may support liberty and responsability, while Evil cultures may become hyper-capitalistic and decadent. Examples include beings, gryphons, sentient undead, and most Cubi raised at Saia.

CR 4: Rivals.
   These races are powerful as individuals, but tend to be too agressive and competetive to form a lasting civilization. They place greater value on personal rank and status, and regularly challenge each other for positions of power. They respect competence and ability, and may believe that less powerful creatures are mere servants, or even livestock. They will work together for personal gain (or out of desperation), but are quick to usurp their leader at the first sign of weakness. Examples include Demons (who respect only power), and Angels (who are extremely competetive). Many Cubi not raised at Saia fall into this category as well.

CR 5: Solitary
   Solitary creatures may interact socially, but do not cooperate to accomplish anything. Asking for help might seem like a weakness to them, or there may be too few of them to form a functional civilization of their own... or it may genuinely not occur to them to do so. An example is the Dragon race.

CR 5: Hostile
   Hostile races are a direct threat to others of their kind. They either see asking for help as an unforgivable weakness, or they stand to gain power by destroying others of their kind. You cannot rely on them for help... though you might defeat them to increase your power. An example is the Vampire race (now extinct)

CR 5: Unique
   Unique creatures are not truly races at all; they are one of a kind organisms, or they have fixed populations. They do not reproduce biologically, and are created either through singular events, or through eternal reincarnation. Examples include Deathbringer (who was the result of an experiment), Type A Phoenix (Who reincarnate at will), and the Fey (who posess a fixed quantity of souls, and thus a permenantly fixed population).

Example NPC

Name: Nadhiya
Player: Mechanisto (The GM)
Race: Naga
Species: Cobra
Challenge Rating: 4 (Rivals)

Description

Nadhiya is a naga; she has a being's upper torso, with the body of a giant snake from the waist down. Her scales are a rich brown with black and gold diamond patterns, and her eyes are bright, glittery gold. Her fangs are small (she would say "cute"), and only slightly visible during normal conversation. She has a cobra-like hood in place of a hairstyle, and wears an elegant golden head-dress decorated with tiny, mystical symbols. She usualy wears a black formal business suit and tiny secretary glasses, and carries a clip-board and a blackberry. Her expression is almost always calm and friendly, though she occasionally exhibits a purse-lipped frown when displeased.

Responsabilities

Nadhiya represents the congenial right hand of the dungeon's tyrranical master, and she is the only creature who can communicate directly with that mysterious entity. She leads and manages the local creature council, and distributes orders and policy changes from her master.
   As a priestess, she handles all official healing and ressurection. She also serves as head of human resources and tourism; recruiting employees, handling promotions, and settling internal disputes or complaints. She is still trying to hire managers to take over these extra duties, but is is extremely hesitant to risk hiring a potential traitor or usurper. In the meantime, she is overworked and underpaid.

Backstory

Nadhiya's parents were reasonably powerful clerics who had manipulated a population of beings into worshiping them as lesser deities. The loyalty of the cult alowed them to live in relative safety and comfort. From a young age, Nadhiya grew up with the unconditional respect and love of others. Her parents protected and taught their worshippers, and in return they made offerings of wealth and living sacrifices. If the beings found these sacrifices repugnant, they certainly never expressed their feelings to Nadhiya.
   As is often the case, her secluded temple home was eventually attacked by adventurers who slaughtered her friends and family, and ransacked their riches and magical artefacts. Having hidden herself from the invaders, Nadhiya was the sole surviver; she mourned her loss, and was forced to set out into the desert without any supplies or wealth. The first settlement she came across resulted in her first experience with racial hatred; instead of welcoming her with open arms, they fought her like a dangerous monster. Stunned by the unexpected reaction, Nadhiya begged for mercy; the beings imprisoned and tormented, in vengance for the bloody rituals her parents had performed.
   She was eventually sold to a passing caravan as an exotic pet. Soon after the caravan set out, it was attacked by a raiding party of lizardmen. They agreed to set her free in exchange for her magical talents, and she spent the next few years acting as a healer and clerical spellcaster. By the time she matured, she had saved up enough spoils to set out on her own. She has since served as a powerful priestess, developing her administrative skills to match her aptitude for divine magic. She is currently the lead manager of a newly established dungeon, and is determined not to let her tragic history repeat itself.

Attributes

Naga are highly social creatures, reknowned for their charisma, cunning, and spiritual resolve. They are also swift and agile, with lightning reflexes. As a chimeric being, their physical attributes are sharply divided; their upper bodies are dextrous but frail, while their massive tails are powerful and well armored, but far too clumsy to do anything but slam and crush prey.
   Nadhiya is attractive looking, but otherwise physically average for her race. She is much less cunning and manipulative than other naga, instead relying on her superb charisma and empathy... which other naga find distasteful. She is no less ruthless than her kin.

Powers

Hypnotic Gaze: A subtle power, the Naga's gaze can acquire and maintain the attention of a single target during a non-violent encounter. It makes her seem more confident, and lends her words and actions greater significance.
Armored Scales: These tough, flexible scales only cover the Naga's serpentine lower body, offering excellent protection against harm. They do not protect her delicate upper torso at all.
Venom: Certain Nagas wield a poisonous bite that is powerful and deadly, but difficult to deliver. The naga's fangs are very tiny, and only contain a small dosage. The venom may be ineffective against larger, healthier targets.
Constriction Attack: A naga's long, muscular tail can coil around even the largest and strongest of enemies, hindering their movement and strangling them into submission.
Clerical Magic: The magical powers of a holy priestess. This gift provides access to potent spells of healing and blessing, and allows the performance of miracles, sacrifices, and exorcisms.

Flaws

Evil Priestess: As a priestess of a blatantly evil cult, Nadhiya is vulnerable to the powers of  holy clerics and champions. True faith and holy symbols can weaken or negate her magical abilities, and rituals that repel demons or evil spirits will affect her.
Cold Blooded: As a reptile, a naga's body does not generate it's own heat; this makes them vulnerable to cold and freezing attacks, and much more susceptible to hypothermia.
Clerical Vows: As a priestess, Nadhiya must maintain certain vows and offer regular prayers and sacrifices to her deity. She must also perform regular services to her flock.

Skills

Ritual Ceremonies: The knowledge required to perform religious rituals, both mystical and cultural; includes marriages, blessings, divinations, sacrifices, and exorcisms.
Administration: The skill and knowledge of operating a large business or organization.
Healing Spells: Special training in the use and knowledge of restorative spells.
Diplomacy: The art and science of peaceful reconciliation.
Negotiation: The ability to broker deals, reach agreements, and haggle.
Language / Draconic: Fluency in the language of dragons and reptile creatures.
Wrestling: A form of unarmed combat that relies on slams, takedowns, and holds.
Knives: The use of short blades in combat, both for melee and throwing.

techmaster-glitch

Ooh, this looks pretty interesting. Maybe not my kind of game, but I'm sure there are people here who will have fun with it...

Question; is this the Furrae setting? You mention a "creature council", but it's still not explicitly stated...

Mechanisto

Indeed it is placed mostly in Furrae. Other realms may figure in the plot.

The dungeon itself is physically isolated, and teleportation and divination spells can't reach it from the rest of the realm. It's portal chamber, however, enables public transit to and from any other portal chamber in Furrae.

Also, the setting will be primarily magical fantasy... but characters from other eras and technology levels can still join. Things may be less convenient for them.

Liatai

Ooh, sounds like an interesting idea. Do you think there might be room for a gryphon (B)? I've had a character concept for one knocking around in my head for a while now. :smile I'll need to work out some details first, of course, to make a decent character submission.

Although, that brings up a question... What about the different gryphon/phoenix subspecies? Say, if someone made a phoenix (B) to join the game, would other players be able to make a phoenix (A) character?

techmaster-glitch

Hmm... I actually do have an idea for this RP myself, too. I'd love to try it, but actually being the "evil" dungeon is a bit of a problem for me...

Mechanisto

A type B gryphon would be fine!

Quote from: Liatai on March 20, 2010, 04:15:28 PMWhat about the different gryphon/phoenix subspecies? Say, if someone made a phoenix (B) to join the game, would other players be able to make a phoenix (A) character?

Hmmmm... good question.

The official Demonology literature clearly states that type B Phoenix are pretty much avian beings with an alternate form, while type A Phoenix are a distinct race. I'd just count Type A Phoenix as beings.

The literature is silent regarding type A Gryphons, unfortunately. They seem to resemble avian beings... but they have exactly the same reproductive compatabilities as type B Gryphons. This suggests genetic unity. All three types are described as having close social and historical ties. It's possible that type C Gryphons are only limited in their... ah... compatabilities... due to the... physical constraints of their... erm... body mass. Yeah.

I'd tend towards calling all three Gryphons a single race, but let me know if you find evidence to the contrary.

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 20, 2010, 04:25:53 PM...actually being the "evil" dungeon is a bit of a problem for me...

The dungeon will tend towards evil, and the players will need to dabble in some classic villainy now and then... but the player's don't have to be unrepentant black-and-white mustasche-twirling disney villains. They might just want to raise a family where they can avoid pursecution from (and predation by) adventurers. They think they have good reasons for what they do... and they need to consider the consequences. If some characters really are true villains, the more level headed players may have to deal with them before they tear the community apart.

Also,  I should have mentioned this before: the RP will not be mature. Evil should be implied wherever possible. You can say you eat babies... you can even have a bushel of babies placed inconspicuously on your kitchen table... but don't actually eat any onscreen.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Mechanisto on March 20, 2010, 04:55:52 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 20, 2010, 04:25:53 PM...actually being the "evil" dungeon is a bit of a problem for me...
The dungeon will tend towards evil, and the players will need to dabble in some classic villainy now and then... but the player's don't have to be unrepentant black-and-white mustasche-twirling disney villains. They might just want to raise a family where they can avoid pursecution from (and predation by) adventurers. They think they have good reasons for what they do... and they need to consider the consequences.
Meh...that still doesn't really work for me. The only characters who I'd make who would have the motivation of escaping persecution are trying to escape from the very things that would inhabit the dungeon (my character Traxen in The City RP being a good example of that), and would actually work with adventurers, when beneficial... I don't really go any further than that.

Oh well...

otaku999

*raises hand*

Might I join, too? Possibly as an obnoxiously cheerful demon-chick that works in the torture and maiming department?

SquirrelWizard

Can we take the posistion of chief engineer, and if so do we have the ability to create massively overcomplicated magma death traps that are run by kittens?
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

VAE

sounds interesting, if there is enough people!
I am thinking of a chuul (large aquatic psychic lobster tentacly thing speaking deep speech)  who wants to run a brain shop (apparently those are disgusting and poisonous to them)

EDIT: Just as a thought - i doubt anyone will choose anything besides mythos from orig furrea inhabitants , as even when sometimes evil Cubi and such are not monsters in the cooperative DnD sense ... besides they would get bored in caves....
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Mechanisto

otaku999: Indeed! Hm... that might also require you to handle the company health plan... some creatures might use the torture chamber as an exercise gym and health spa.

SquirrelWizard: Indeed! The position of civil engineer is already filled by an NPC, but that's only for very basic construction and regular maintenance. Special engineers are always in great demand.

danman: Indeed! But do you refer to the D&D Chuul? I can find no references about those being psychic... unless you mean the Uchuulon, which I can't find a decent description of. Regardless, players can design monster races as they like, within reason.

As far as other races go, remember; this place may be a dungeon, but it's also a community. The monsters have families and neighbors; they have homes and jobs. Think about Saia; that place is technically a monster-filled dungeon too, and some very bad things happen there on occasion.

As for caves being unpleasant; parts of it are clean enough to resemble any above-ground castle or apartment building, and the portal chamber allows you to commute to just about anywhere in Furrae on a daily basis.

And besides... these caves are anything but boring.

techmaster-glitch

arrghh...

Against my better self-judgement, I'm starting to think I may join this, if only to use a concept I really want to try. He'll also probably be neutral, and may frown on anything particularly villanous, but oh well.

Do you have a character skeleton you want us to follow, or would we just make our own as needed?

VAE

Quote from: Mechanisto on March 20, 2010, 09:28:16 PM

danman: Indeed! But do you refer to the D&D Chuul? I can find no references about those being psychic... unless you mean the Uchuulon, which I can't find a decent description of. Regardless, players can design monster races as they like, within reason.

As far as other races go, remember; this place may be a dungeon, but it's also a community. The monsters have families and neighbors; they have homes and jobs. Think about Saia; that place is technically a monster-filled dungeon too, and some very bad things happen there on occasion.

As for caves being unpleasant; parts of it are clean enough to resemble any above-ground castle or apartment building, and the portal chamber allows you to commute to just about anywhere in Furrae on a daily basis.

Hmm in the DnD4 definition which is the one i was thinking of, it has psychic aura and the second type (Chuul Juggernaut) an mind attack too.
Any case - it eats everything except brains which gives interesting ideas ,,,, Imagine one with yellow "gloves" on its tentacles storing brains for further use...
Thinking of this - we might employ use some purple worms as miners, as my thinking goes...
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

SquirrelWizard

Ummmmm.... yeah.... I think its safe to say that my character concept is out...
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Liatai

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 20, 2010, 09:56:35 PM
arrghh...

Against my better self-judgement, I'm starting to think I may join this, if only to use a concept I really want to try. He'll also probably be neutral, and may frown on anything particularly villanous, but oh well.

Do you have a character skeleton you want us to follow, or would we just make our own as needed?

He might get along with my gryphon, then. She would just be in it for the pay and the prospect of treasure. They can tut-tut at the more villainous creatures together. :razz

And you stole my question! I was just about to ask the same thing.

otaku999

otaku999: Indeed! Hm... that might also require you to handle the company health plan... some creatures might use the torture chamber as an exercise gym and health spa.

SquirrelWizard: Indeed! The position of civil engineer is already filled by an NPC, but that's only for very basic construction and regular maintenance. Special engineers are always in great demand.

Heh, I'm imagining you saying that last line in a deep and intimidating voice.

Anyways, I was thinking that Katya (that's what I'm thinking of calling her) wouldn't really be in charge of it, more like a higher-up worker person. But yeah, I think she could handle the health thingy too. XD

Thinking that Katya isn't what one would think of when they hear 'demon'. Herbivore (species-wise, I mean. She's probably like Lorenda in the teeth department), cheerful, friendly, upbeat, maybe a little too fangirly over ancient methods of torture, but over all a nice gal. Well, aside from the evil thing...

Mechanisto

Answers: yes, there will be a Skeleton. I was almost thinking of using a really, super-basic point-buy system... but that's probably more work than it's worth.

Hm... The red text may be more useful than I thought...

Also, all the Player Characters will end up being in charge of something, as well as being the representative leader for their race. Not all races will be all that cooperative, though... and characters who aren't any good at leadership will lokely let others do the actual management.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Mechanisto on March 20, 2010, 11:59:12 PM
Answers: yes, there will be a Skeleton. I was almost thinking of using a really, super-basic point-buy system... but that's probably more work than it's worth.
Err...yeah, on being more trouble than worth. When I said skeleton, I mean something like;

Name:
Haircolor/Eyecolor/anyotherapplicableminutiayouwant:

Phsyical Description:

Personality:

"something" Abilities:

"other" Abilities (repeat as needed):

Any other fields you want:

and add or remove any fields you think is necessary. Maybe "family" or "affiliations", or anything you can think of that would be needed for this kind of RP.

EDIT: Ooh, I know a good one; "Dungeon responsibilities"

EDIT EDIT: and instead of things like "combat abilities" and "other abilities", you could go a "strengths" and "weaknesses" route instead. There are many different ways you can put a character skeleton together, we just need to know if you actually have one you want us to use.

Mechanisto

Dangit! Again with the people stealing my brainthoughts! Now nobody will believe I included "Responsabilities" before you suggested it.

I do have a layout in mind, which I shall post as soon as possible. And no, I won't be going with a point system after all.

EDIT: Aaaaand updated. Goodness, the color coding makes it so much easier to make sense of. I also included the stats for Nadhiya; the dungeon's administrator, and the highest ranking person the players are likely to meet for awhile.

OTHER EDIT: I just realized I described the Type A Phoenix as being just like a being. That is wrong and stupid; Type A are the fiery oracles. Type B are just like beings. Bad self! No cookie for me!

Liatai

It looks good! I'm already working on filling it out.

One question, though... can the backstory section be longer than three paragraphs? I started to write it out last night, and it ended up being closer to six.  :animesweat

Techcubi

So, wait...This takes place in Furrae? And, ISN'T Mature rated?

Mechanisto

Well... use the example NPC's backstory as a guideline for length. The RP is supposed to be more about the character's future than their past. Like anyone who is moving to a new town, this is an exciting new chapter in their life.

And as for the no Mature rating... the point of the RP is not to be as despicable and violent as possible. If anything, it's the opposite; an attempt to become more civilized and cooperative. Traditionally, monsters are a walking pile of hit dice, godl coins and XP... what happens when they try to be more than that? When I say non-mature, I mean PG-13; can involve a mature subject as it's theme (without depicting it explicitly), and can include drug use, more-than-brief nudity, depictions of violence, and one use of a harsher expletive.

The only exception I can think of that would be hard to pull off is combat; having monsters chop up heroes is much more intense than having heroes chop up monsters. To be honest, extreme graphic violence is my least concern.

otaku999

Name: Katya
Player: otaku999
Race: Demon
Species: Hamster/Demon-cat
Creature Rating: 4 (rivals)

Description: Katya mostly resembled her father, a hamster being. Appearance-wise, Katya actually looks rather cuddly. She has soft, fluffy brown fur, aside from a large white section running down her chin and stomach, big brown eyes, and usually wears her short black hair in pigtails. Her tail is short and fluffy, and she likes to wear baggy jeans and brightly colored t-shirts. She is NOT chubby, just... poofy. Even her black, bat-like wings don't take much away from the cuteness, nor do her tiny horns. Her cuteness all but evaporates when she opens her mouth, though. Katya has an unusual amount of sharp, pointy teeth, which she takes good care of, making sure they are white and shiny. Further inspection will reveal "ketchup" stains on her clothing and jewelry that looks strangely like bones.

A conversation usually quells these fears, though. Katya is very sweet, charming, and childish, and seems much more interested in cuddles than killing. Not that she has any problem with killing, that is. She just likes to draw it out. While Katya is a rather friendly girl, she is also rather sadistic. She doesn't see much of a problem with hurting people she doesn't care about, and likes to go into long rants about how the various machines in the torture chamber work. Some even suspect that she's used these machines on herself, just to see how they feel.
Morbid hobbies aside, Katya is a very loyal friend, and doesn't hold any prejudice against beings, or any other species for that matter. She refuses to hurt children, though she's been known to take them on tours of the torture chamber on occasion.  She never harms anyone she doesn't feel "deserves it", and will lash out violently against those who harm innocents.

Responsibilities: Katya works in the Torture and Maiming department, alongside many other demons. She makes sure the racks are in proper working order, the guillotine stays sharp, and the bamboo plants are watered. She also makes sure the cleaning crew keeps the dungeon from smelling TOO rotten (but not too clean, either. Wouldn't want people to think it's never used!). She sometimes instructs the torturers on techniques, as well. How to extract information, exactly how much pain one can take before passing out, etc.

Backstory: Katya's parents were an... interesting couple. Her mother terrorized a small village for a few decades until they decided to try and leave her a virgin sacrifice. Katya's mother, Felicia didn't really care about such things, and probably would have just killed the sacrifice and went on with what she was doing, but they sent her the cutest little hamster by the name of Jor, and she just couldn't bring herself to hurt him. Felicia and Jor eventually married, much to the shock of the villagers, and lived together for quite some time. Katya was born and raised in that village, regarded with fear from her neighbors but never malice. Inevitably, Jor died of old age while Katya was still quite young by demon standards, and without Jor to keep his demon family at bay, the villagers became even more terrified. Felicia eventually took her daughter and traveled the world with her, teaching her what every demon needs to know.

Katya eventually grew tired of travel, and wanted to settle down somewhere, meet a nice guy, have a family. But she knew that she would always have the urge to cause pain and terror, as well. She found an opportunity for both in the dungeon. While she's yet to meet a nice guy, Katya has made lots of friends and enjoys her job.

Attributes: Like most demons, Katya is very strong, fast, and resilient to damage, though less so because of her half-being heritage. While she can take on a well armed being with ease, she would have trouble with a full blooded demon. She knows a few spells, but likes using them to sneak up on friends rather than fighting, and isn't very good at more complicated ones. Katya is a bit faster than usual, possibly thanks to her hamster father. Katya is of about average intelligence, but would much rather people think of her as silly and childish. It makes them much easier to manipulate. Katya loves getting what she wants, and isn't afraid to pout and sniffle to do so. She's pretty good at it, too, having a couple centuries of practice.

Powers:

Strength: Katya is much stronger than most beings, though not quite as strong as other demons. She can break bone with little effort, and can restrain opponents much larger than herself.

Agility: Katya can keep up with most other demons without much difficulty, and is almost a blur when racing beings.

Skin: Like other demons, Katya can make her skin diamond hard, stopping most things from cutting her. She can also make her nails very sharp, and easily slice through flesh.

Teeth: Katya has razor sharp teeth, and she is very proud of their strength. They can bite through most softer materials, and shred flesh and skin easily.

Shadow Magic: Katya knows very few spells, but she's rather good at those few. She likes to blend into shadows and sneak up on people, usually appearing out of nowhere. She also likes to make "shadow puppets", forming them into various shapes, though this is more of a distraction.

Flaws:

Young: Katya is still a relatively young demon, and could easily be defeated by an older, more powerful creature.
Sadistic: Katya enjoys causing those she doesn't like pain, and often focuses on this more than killing.
Easily distracted: Katya is easily sidetracked by shiny objects and new torture machines, thus leaving herself open for attack or rushing through a boring yet important job.
Immature: Katya often acts very childish, poking her nose where it shouldn't be, getting giddy over new "toys" (usually torture mechanisms), and is a bit too trusting of those who are nice to her.

Skills:

Manipulation: Getting others to do as one wants, through pouting, promises, and deception.

Torture: Getting others to reveal important information by causing them pain.

Blunt Weapons: The use of blunt, heavy weapons in melee combat, such as hammers or maces.

Wrestling: A form of unarmed combat that relies on slams, takedowns, and holds.

(Appearance stolen from inspired by this image: http://www.mabsland.com/Art5b/Roz_Taur.jpg , which I obviously did not draw)

techmaster-glitch

Right, here's my character submission. As there are many kinds of Mythos, I went and made up my own one. I'm also not entirely clear on the "creature rating" thing, so I left that blank for now... (though, as best as I can explain, most mythos of my kind are generally solitary, but will work together easily enough, unless an individual in question is like that.) I also reordered the format slightly to make it flow better.

Name: Xephelon
Player: techmaster-glitch
Race: Mythos
Species: Green Imbuer
Creature Rating: 5 (Solitary); Unlike other solitary creatures, the Imbuers (both Blue and Green) are not solitary by choice. They are simply so few in number that they have not been able to establish any sort of communities or societies for themselves. As individuals, however, they are often friendly with each other and will usually cooperate if they meet.

Physical Description:
  As an Imbuer Mythos, Xephelon is basically a landbound octopus or squid. He is neon-green in color, and looks little more than a fleshy mass two feet in size, with small tentacles. He has two small eyes and a mouth on a little "head", but otherwise, his body is quite malleable due to not having any bones, and able to squeeze into small spaces. However, his actual body is rarely seen (see below).

Attributes:
  Xephelon belongs to a rather remarkable type of Mythos. While physically small and weak, they are gifted with prodigious magical power. However, this magic cannot be cast in spells like normal magic-users; all Mythos of the Imbuer type use magic by "imbuing" it into any nonliving object they touch. Xephelon's species, Greens, can enchant objects to hold nearly any magical quality or power temporarily (permanently if time measured in hours or days is spent on the object). They can't cast a fireball spell, but they can enchant an object to shoot fireballs. They can't cast a spell to make someone stronger, but they can enchant an object the person is wearing that will then make them stronger. Due to this, Green Imbuer Mythos are masters of creating magic items of nearly any kind, even edging into "magitech". As they like to create their own objects to receive their magic, Green Imbuer Mythos also often pick up skill at crafting and shaping mundane materials, using magic-enhanced tools in construction.
  One thing particular to Green Imbuer Mythos (and often their defining trait) is that due to their abilities and the fact their physical bodies are very weak and vulnerable, nearly all of them create a personal magical "exo-shell" to enhance their interactions with the world around them. These exoshells are very unique, taking on almost any shape and size, and are often specialized to their creator's preferences. Some make great juggernaut exoshells that are engines of combat, other make exoshells geared to mining or construction, or any other purpose besides. Few people ever actually see a Green Imbuer Mythos' real body--only the exoshell they reside in.
  Xephelon is highly intelligent, possessing a keen analytical mind. His social skills are fairly adequate, and is good at calmy talking and reasoning things out. When outside of his exoshell, however, see "flaws" for his physical attributes.

Powers:
  Xephelon's capabilities extend to imbuing any object with a variety of magical properties and effects simply by touching them. The more complex the property, the more time it takes to imbue the object. These effects are temporary, and vanish some time after the imbuing (usually more than ten minutes, sometimes up to an hour). However, if he spends hours or days on an object, he can permanently bestow magical properties on the object, making it a magic item. Highly advanced projects, such as the creation of magical constructs, can often take days or weeks, including the time it takes to craft the body.
--Xephelon's Exoshell:
  Xephelon's personal shell (which, like most Green Imbuer Mythos, he spends almost all his time in) consists of a main torso/body set on a quadrupedal base. There are four arms attached to the main body, and each arm has a variety of retractable/deployable tools. The exoshell stands roughly five feet tall, and is built from what looks like interlocking plates of metal, and glowing lines of magic wrap around most of the shell (the color is usually green). Three lights that look like eyes are set into the center of the torso. In the back, there is a small hole only a few inches wide that is usually covered by a metal plate. When Xephelon exits the shell, the plate moves out of the way, and the hole leads to the cavity inside the main body where Xephelon would reside.
  With the tools built into the arms of the exoshell, it is an excellent vessel for crafting and manufacturing objects. Most of the tools themselves have individual enchantments on them to enhance their capabilities. Two of the arms have small crystals in them that can easily accept and channel temporary enchantments on the fly. These are generally used when constructing an unusual object and a special effect is needed, but in combat, Xephelon may sometimes put some kind of offensive magic into them.
  Xephelon's exoshell, being made mostly of enchanted metal, is decently tough, and is also lightly warded against small damage and ambient effects. However, it's not built very thick, and a big hit from anything is liable to cause significant problems. The central torso, where Xephelon is housed, is the the toughest part of the exoshell (and while the lights in the center do indeed function as "eyes", they aren't a weak point, only being magic enchantments). Obviously, the exoshell is stronger than Xephelon's real body, and allows him to lift things he couldn't normally, but it won't be winning any arm-wrestling contests with an ogre any time soon.

Flaws:
  Xephelon is very poor in direct combat, even when within his exoshell. It isn't designed for a fight, hardly has any real weapons, and isn't very tough, so Xephelon will generally opt to let allies with items enhanced by his magic or his own constructs do his fighting for him. Outside of his exoshell, Xephelon is completely exposed, being small, weak, and vulnerable. His body is a boneless mass of flesh and light muscle, severely hampering his strength and mobility. If he doesn't have something enchanted to help him, he moves by shuffling and squiggling, and there are few things he can actually lift (sufficiently-sized books can give him problems). In fact, no Mythos of the Imbuer type has significant unaided mobility. His body also cannot really take any punishment of any kind, except for may a weak blunt blow, or squeezing/squishing. While Xephelon is somewhat dexterous, and able to wriggle out of tight spots, he is otherwise at the mercy of anything that catches him outside of his exoshell.

Skills:
-Exceptional Craftsman: Highly adept at working with materials and shaping them into desired forms, including weapons and armor.
-Master Artificer: Second to none at creating magic items and objects.
-Magic Analyst: Can examine, analyze, and "reverse-engineer" magic effects already in place.
-Logistics: A knack for good resource allocation.

Responsibilities:
  Maintenance and construction of magical items, constructs, devices, and utilities around the dungeon. Analysis and processing of incoming magic items.

Backstory:
  Xephelon's kind is a fairly rare type of Mythos (as far as Mythos go), and thanks to the sheer alien appearance of his exoshell, he's rarely met with open arms by any community that's never seen one of his kind before. On the other hand, he has actually worked with a few open-minded adventurers before, but he's been looking for a more permanent residence to settle down in and fulfill his desire to advance magical engineering. Just recently, he happened across a nice flyer with appealing taglines. He honestly doesn't know what he's really going to find in the dungeon...

Personality:
  Xephelon is actually a nice person. While he does look out for himself, he does understand the value of friends and allies, and looks down on those who do actions that would directly harm or upset others, and when he has worked with adventurers, it was for taking down a particularly destructive Creature or other villain. While Xephelon doesn't actually have any real skill with diplomacy or negotiation, he will try to talk himself out of a situation and avoid fighting whenever possible, though he will commit his constructs and abilities if his allies are threatened.

Misc Trivia:
-The other type of Imbuer Mythos are the Blue Imbuer Mythos. They are slightly inverted to the Greens; where Greens can enchant properties into objects, but must spend a long time to make an animated object or construct, Blues animate and bestow semi-life any object they touch. However, to give additional properties beyond simply bringing things to "life" takes a significant investment of time, likie a Green for creating constructs.

Mechanisto

Oooh... cool characters, both!

Katya looks good so far, but is she actually a half-being-half-demon, or simply a weak demon? Beings are CR3; they co-operate as equals. Demons are CR4; they respect power above all, and challenge each other for dominance all the time. If she's half-breed, she could choose to live either way.

I love the concept for Xephelon! The only quibble is that his enchanting ability is a Power, rather than an Attribute... but it's still balanced and interesting as is.

I get the feeling I need to re-write the Creature Rating thingy... I'll get on that.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Mechanisto on March 21, 2010, 04:39:59 PM
The only quibble is that his enchanting ability is a Power, rather than an Attribute... but it's still balanced and interesting as is.
I understood Attribute to be analogous to "racial" or "natural" abilities, while Power was individual-specific, but oh well...

I get the feeling I need to re-write the Creature Rating thingy... I'll get on that.
Maybe, or just expand on it more (or do away with it entirely).

VAE

Hmm, so i will add in, too!
I kind of took a Chuul juggernaut and filled in the missing bits with Lobster + other fun stuff .

Name:  Glup.
Player: danman
Race: Chuul
Species:  Nephropidae
Creature Rating: CR4

Description: EDIT: A picture is always handy

A giant, very subdued (mostly by algae) yellow-green lobster-like with dozen mid-length tentacles around its mouth, and something resembling swimmer's goggles, but ones which distort light profusely, fastened around the plates at back of its head with a tough rubber band.
An observant person will notice that 4 of the tentacles are covered with something most resembling a bright yellow, thick rubber umbrella sheath.
He speaks Deep speech, and has learned some common on his travels, although it sounds somewhat like gargling
The coming of digital age has improved his situation a lot in terms of expression, as 12 tentacles can type rather faster than one of them can write: "Have you thlied shalpening a pensil with a thentha'le?" in his own words.
An intelligent creature, he has transformed the problem of the race to a boon - his main source of income has been selling well-cleaned brains to Ilithids, mad scientists ,and other interested customers.
EDIT: Actual parameters as calculated from DnD - He is 15 feet long, and has a 10 feet reach

Responsabilities:
Interested in maintaining electronics, and perhaps selling brains.
A nice pool in the cave would be welcome

Backstory:  
Glup hatched, along with several dozen of his kind , in a murky pool in some nondescript cave.
He had little knowledge of their  parents as they left soon, so as not to attract attention to the lair, not that parents are very important in the culture of beings whose parental instinct goes the first way (let's have a load of them so some survive)
After a few months of hunting pool-fish, fighting among themselves , and generally having a good time as chuul life goes, he and most siblings were fished out by a bunch of ilithids and transferred to their settlement as garbage disposal and guardian animals. Although rather less free, Glup had a steady supply of corpses, was taught deep speech, and as he exhibited intelligence even for his kind, some basic psionics as well, and was left in charge of a small group of his brothers, each being in charge of less intelligent creatures (The ilithids realized, that to subdue an intelligent species, it is best to make it a part of the hierarchy).
When they were attacked by a group of heroes, Gulp witnessed a spectacular (one could say critical :D) failure of the illithid cleric to cast an offensive spell and his subsequent slicing up.
He and his underlings played a significant role in defeating the party, but the few illithids left had no use for such a large creature population, and so they gave them freedom as  a win-win reward.
Left to wander freely, a striking realisation came to him when killing and eating a caveman , and instinctively leaving the brain behind,something he has not seen for years.
There are creatures that use these!
Using his abilities, he soon began selling prime-quality brains to any customers willing to deal with him - luckily, most beings needing brains are intelligent enough not to care about appearance.
However, tired by the unceasing attacks by local druids ("One should be glatheful fol sush eashy pley, exshep' theil blains ale lubbish") he decided to migrate to Furrea, where, apparently they are not such a problem.
As mentioned, once there , he was able to fit within the city of Zinvh well,had his goggles made, which greatly facilitated most of his activities, and learned about technology which besides a few electroshocks proven to be well within his ability to master.
Looking through local newspaper (rents are quite over the head there) he noticed the advert.

Attributes:  
Chuuls , whether sand or water dwelling seem mostly solitary beings, who pretty much seek others of their species only when interested in mating.
Gulp exhibits this tendency to a somewhat lesser extent, due to being instilled with a sense of hierarchy between the ilithids.
Overall he might be described as lawful evil of sorts - he is not sadistic or so, just ruthless...
He believes order makes things simpler and better, and of course cares that the order will include as many chuuls as possible...
Due to a monotonous voice and lack of facial expression, his reactions can be somewhat difficult to understand for those not being Cubi.
Due to the spectacular failure he remembers, he is devoutly atheistic, considering any gods either nonexistent or not worthy of worship. He knows little of magic as well, only meeting some at hands of his enemies, and later among  Zinvth citizens.

Powers:  

Ageless - Like other nephropidae, because of the ensyme telomerase, chuuls lack aging - if not killed, can continue indefinitely
Crustacean (power and drawback) - Sharp bladed weapons are notoriously poor against this being
Poison - the tentacles can deliver a sting of paralytic poison to an opponent , or prey
Psionic - as well as being able to "lure" prey, which in the chuul variant consists of torturing the opponent's mind but doing it less fervently when he goes in the desired direction, and an unpleasant psychic hum which weakens enemies' mental defenses, and annoys the hell out of allied psychics, and those who can hear thoughts
Psychokinesis - similar to telekinetic ability, but he must be in contact with the thing it is being applied to -  allows him to perform difficult feats with his tentacles, although doing it for a long time is somewhat tiring.
EDIT: also as shown in the short example - this can improve his apparent strength even beyond natural.
Darkvision -  The makeup of the eye, focused on reflective elements allows it to see in a way similar to a cat.
Large spiked pincers - any more needs to be said?
Fast swimmer - Similarly to a lobster, he can move wiggling his torso and tail in water, reaching remarkable swim speed in the backward direction.
T-34 - His armoured body is usually covered by wet algae which lessen impact of fire spells
(the name refers to the fact that soviet tank drivers used to attach shovels, wire meshes and random junk to their tanks to protect them against german Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck hand-fired missiles)
Strong Lobsters and such possess striated muscle, similar in efficiency to fish mammals and so. Pincers possess leverage. Does any more need to be said?
Healthy Due to the mentioned regenerative properties ,armor and whatnot, its damage resistance is higher than one would expect for the size.  

Flaws:
Crustacean -  (both power and drawback) Blunt weapons are quite dangerous, as even if not breaking the armour, concussion can occur easily.. Also, freezing attacks make this doubly so.
Ew, Brains! -  Brain tissue is poisonous to Chuuls, as well as disgusting.
Non-humanoid - Although able to use most things and tools, armor and things like magical rings etc are generally useless as he has nowhere to put them on.
Turn hard Although agile otherwise, multiple feet and a long body makes it harder to turn than for a bipedal
Aberration Generally hated by nature-worshippers, certain spells are more powerful against him
Poor vision (corrected) If his goggles are removed, his vision is of somewhat subhuman standard due to species limitation (able to see shapes navigate somewhat and fight  (also by other senses) but not much more).
Exoskeleton If the exoskeleton is broken, Glup needs to mend himself with superglue, or get healed, otherwise his haemolymph will seep out (sustained damage by bleeding, depends on size of injury)
(Note: Superglue is an actual method to mend giant spiders if they injure by falling!)

Skills:
Psionic training -  as said, compared to a common chuul , his psychic abilities are somewhat better.
Electronics skill - having some understanding of electricity is always a boon. Having 12 tentacles when soldering is another one.
Speaks Common  although a little hard to comprehend EDIT: Note - Also knows so-called Deep Speech but that is usual for the species
Autodidact Hard to categorise as a boon or a flaw, he received little formal training beyond that by ilithids
He knows  things through practice and ocassional books from Zinvth public library, which makes him more versatile and practical but also somewhat idiosyncratic in application of his abilities(You kchan do thath?. Oh, you kchan kchollect!)

EDIT:
LOOT
Glup carries most possessions in two waterproof bags tied around his body (like the packs on a donkey somewhat)
They include: Soldering equipment, screwdrivers, spare "gloves", any gold he has, spare goggles, and some books
such as "Electronics for the mad scientist"  "No-nonsense psionics" and "Sociopath's How to interact with fellow beings handbook"  
Saphroneth

WhiteFox

I'll have a more complete sheet later today. Right now, I'm going to call dibs with the following:

Race: Undead (Demon)
Career: Necromancer/DeathKnight
Responsibilies: Librarian/Archivist
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

otaku999

Katya looks good so far, but is she actually a half-being-half-demon, or simply a weak demon? Beings are CR3; they co-operate as equals. Demons are CR4; they respect power above all, and challenge each other for dominance all the time. If she's half-breed, she could choose to live either way.

While Katya is a half breed, I'm saying she's a demon for simplicity's sake. I'm really basing a lot of this off Lorenda... And I'm changing the Creature Rating thingy now.

Drayco84

Hmmm... Golden opportunity to break into roleplaying on The Haunted Mansion... And since I've always been interested in a DungeonKeeper viewpoint, this sounds too good to not try... (Translation: Yes, I'm an interested newb.)

I need to double check some D&D references for this and write up some stuff. I'm going to tentatively reserve the following...

Race: Dragon (Very young.)
Species: Force
Creature Rating: CR5 (To others, he's snackable.)
Responsibilities: Security/Surveillance