2013/12/16 [Matilda #40] Not quite a dead horse there.

Started by Howl, December 16, 2013, 12:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howl

Not sure if she's trying to save his pride or throw more mud at him with that lie, though. Maybe it'd help if I followed this thing.

... I should not be the one making this page's topic.

joshofspam

Quote from: Howl on December 16, 2013, 12:35:51 PM
Not sure if she's trying to save his pride or throw more mud at him with that lie, though. Maybe it'd help if I followed this thing.

... I should not be the one making this page's topic.
Maybe it might be regret and embarrassment.

Regret of what she lost. Embarrassment at getting caught in such a compromising situation. Years have probably made Matilda a much more wiser and mature person. But I'm pretty sure being thrown out for killing ones brother (Even if he was already dead when she got there) would paint Matilda in a much darker light.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't so much as was kicked out as she was running for her life.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Maark30

But I can see how her story mutated over the years into the one she told Dan.
Proud member of the "Let the artist know how much you love her work" club

YawnPB

His apparent suicide shattered her world.  It's very likely they find her in shock clutching that crystal shard and assumed that she attacked him for the reasons she told Dan.  Being in the state she is it's likely she just went along with it.  Maybe even in time believing the story, adding to it, because the truth has been blocked out of her mind.

If he's actually dead or not, we'll see soon enough....
Lurkus Wallflowerus

ZacAttac21

Quote from: YawnPB on December 16, 2013, 11:46:44 PM
His apparent suicide shattered her world.  It's very likely they find her in shock clutching that crystal shard and assumed that she attacked him for the reasons she told Dan.  Being in the state she is it's likely she just went along with it.  Maybe even in time believing the story, adding to it, because the truth has been blocked out of her mind.

If he's actually dead or not, we'll see soon enough....

I'm pretty confident he's dead. Unless... :zombiekun2

Yarott

If his suicide was a flop, she'll make sure to help him go through with it. Assisted Suicide! The issue that's still lingering around these scenes is their other sister, who happens to be in the very same room, overhearing what Matilda is doing. And it feels like this story is almost over. At least the first part of this story.

Eboreg

Well, if you think about it, Matilda did tell Dan the truth. Women are regarded as chattel in the volcano, Matilda and her brother had some major disagreements, Matilda probably did tear off his arm and beat him into submission with it, and that is probably the big reason she was exiled. She just didn't mention a) The first two weren't related as she implied, and b) her brother was already dead when she laid down that beating.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

katasev

Quote from: Yarott on December 17, 2013, 07:46:53 AM
If his suicide was a flop, she'll make sure to help him go through with it. Assisted Suicide! The issue that's still lingering around these scenes is their other sister, who happens to be in the very same room, overhearing what Matilda is doing. And it feels like this story is almost over. At least the first part of this story.

Not really in the very same room - she's in HER room, which is at least down the tunnel a ways. Still, it's going to be interesting when Hishnai DOES come into the room and finds her beloved sister covered in blood and standing over the dead (and by now somewhat mutilated) body of her once-equally-beloved brother.

As to the difference in story vs narration, we may simply be in full-on repression mode with Matilda, honestly - the shock of her brother basically abandoning her and Hishnai to whatever chancy fate awaits females who don't have males to represent them, the anguish I'm sure will happen when Hishnai accuses her of murdering Heshi (more than likely accompanied by the same "I hate you!" Matilda's shouting at Heshi's body), not to mention the trauma of losing not just her family but all of her friends and everything familiar to her in one fell swoop... There's even potential of near-death hallucinations brought on by starvation caused by not knowing what kind of food to eat out in the non-volcano world, or even that she SHOULD eat! (Sounds stupid, I know, but if you've never had to ingest sustenance via your mouth before, it might simply not occur to you that that's how it's done.) All in all, I'm almost more shocked she remembers ANYTHING about her life in the volcano, however much of it is either subconsciously or deliberately fabricated.

seikueon

I think it's less repression and more a carefully constructed lie.  She's almost reluctant when she answers, suggested by "how long" it'd take her to say "yes".  It's quoted as "...yes."  Meaning she's got a full ellipse of pause before she answers.

Try reading it out loud and figure how she's saying it.

She knows she's lying and the story might be harder to tell because she's telling "the whole story" instead of a cute anecdote.

I mean, maybe I'm wrong and her switching to anger suggests she really does remember it differently.  I just know I called it right when I pointed out how much pressure her brother was under.  Matilda pointed that out by "reminding" him everyone hated him and all the stuff he needed to do for them.