2013/04/01 [PF April Fools] What is this? I don't even...

Started by ChaosMageX, April 01, 2013, 01:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

...know, but at least it looks freaking awesome.  What if Josh had his soul transplanted again behind their backs and he's fooling them all? :mwaha

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 01, 2013, 02:01:39 PM
I'd say that's not Josh at all...

Maybe it's Daryil then, or even Jakob, since he's probably more skilled at looking evil.  They got the fur color wrong though, but then again I like this fur color better.

Icon by Sunblink

AmberCross

Can't tell if misdated april fool's joke, cute non-canon story wrapup, strange crossover, or somehow canonical... just... what?

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmberCross on April 01, 2013, 08:08:20 PM
Can't tell if misdated april fool's joke, cute non-canon story wrapup, strange crossover, or somehow canonical... just... what?

It's something Merlin sent to me this morning.  It looked rather cool so I figured I'd put it up on the site as an impromptu April Fools picture.  I'll probably take it down soon,  but it's already in the archive.

EDIT: As for the story wrapup, there's still about four pages left of this chapter.  Though Dark Angel has just ended tonight.

AmberCross

oh wait, I was thinking this was the dark angel thread, not the generic PF. On that note... it IS a quirky wrapup then?

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmberCross on April 02, 2013, 03:33:59 AM
oh wait, I was thinking this was the dark angel thread, not the generic PF. On that note... it IS a quirky wrapup then?

Yes.

Madmann135

Don't spoil the ending of Project Future!  Reading Josh go evil was a bit of a surprise, reading him soul-jack a cubi was amazing.

Wait its not April First.... Nice art.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Tapewolf

Evil Cubi Josh was kind of derived from this:
http://project-future.org/stuff/things/greenjosh.png

...which happened when I sampled Josh from the wrong layer and ended up making him leafy green instead of grey.  It looked kind of cool and someone said that the old 'Cubi Josh picture should be updated with him green instead:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/projectfuture/evil_cubi_josh.png

...but time has not exactly been kind to that piece.  So that same someone persuaded Merlin to redraw it, and here we are.

(Comments on Dark Angel might be nice though)

AmberCross

While I don't typically comment on stuff and this is technically the wrong thread for it, every writer loves their feedback so here goes!

This story was a really interesting look into Jacob's years after being a meglomaniac but before he got heavily into science. The brief tie to canon-furre was interesting and it's interesting that Jacob has been wanting to do a documentary on Ti'Fiona so much longer than indicated by his first meeting him. Seeing as how Edward wasn't a creature adventurer and he probably would have been more offset if he knew Edward had married Destania (either that or be less surprised when meeting Dan of clan Cyra), I'm not entirely sure of his reasoning and would like to know more about that.

However I think my flat out favorite part of the story was how absolutely sketchy the cover story at the end was and how everyone bought it because they just hated the old king THAT much. I mean really... princess kills the dragon and rescues herself? These people must know nothing about how dragons work :/. Still, even though I think half the readers must have called the dragon being the princess, I think probably no one called the angel actually being the angel. Overall an excellent read.

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmberCross on April 02, 2013, 08:00:29 PM
This story was a really interesting look into Jacob's years after being a meglomaniac but before he got heavily into science. The brief tie to canon-furre was interesting and it's interesting that Jacob has been wanting to do a documentary on Ti'Fiona so much longer than indicated by his first meeting him.

Thanks.  Jakob's first ever story was about him making a wildlife documentary with his brother.  Back when this was originally written, there were a few fan-stories where the writer's character met and or hung out with Dan, and that was something I found rather pretentious.  So I wrote a story where Jakob's original aim was to meet Dan but he never did.  Hence it was kind of amusing to me that Jakob actually did meet Dan in the canon series.

QuoteSeeing as how Edward wasn't a creature adventurer and he probably would have been more offset if he knew Edward had married Destania (either that or be less surprised when meeting Dan of clan Cyra), I'm not entirely sure of his reasoning and would like to know more about that.

There were rumours that had reached my ears of a young lad known as Ti'Fiona, who while still in his teens, had nonetheless vanquished a number of quite formidable enemies. There was some confusion as to what he was... some guessed him to be an Angel or a feathered Demon, while still others claimed that he was just a Being, albeit a winged one.
Thinking of this, I shuddered... after all, I had thought the same thing myself until my headwings had appeared. If he really was an immature incubus who was totally oblivious to his heritage, he was going to have a very nasty surprise at some point in the next few years.

QuoteHowever I think my flat out favorite part of the story was how absolutely sketchy the cover story at the end was and how everyone bought it because they just hated the old king THAT much. I mean really... princess kills the dragon and rescues herself? These people must know nothing about how dragons work :/. Still, even though I think half the readers must have called the dragon being the princess, I think probably no one called the angel actually being the angel. Overall an excellent read.

To be fair, there was a lot I didn't know when this was written.  It was the last one in the original collection of stories about Jakob, and not all of them have aged well.  I'm tempted to do a revised version at some point to try and fix some of the more egregious affronts to DMFA canon.  What I have been doing is taking some of the better ones and doing them as backstories for Project Future, and I do think that this was one of the best from that collection.

Eboreg

In regards to the TDA comic, I can only imagine how things would be so, so different if Jakob actually did meet Danny-boy. He would have very quickly figured out the truth and and I would not doubt that he would make it clear. Danny's reaction to that can be any number of things.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

AmberCross

That IS rather ironic. Out of curiosity (and let's be clear, I'm not asking about any in-canon reasoning of Amber's), when Jakob eventually DOES meet Dan, do you think it likely that he would have connected any dots? Is his shock (and following questions) more likely due to finding out he's Cyra or is there a bit of realization that this was an adventurer he'd heard of mixed in? I realize that it's likely you don't know fully Jakob's DMFA-canon thought process as well as you know his PF-canon self, but I figured it may be worth an ask.

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmberCross on April 02, 2013, 10:08:53 PM
That IS rather ironic. Out of curiosity (and let's be clear, I'm not asking about any in-canon reasoning of Amber's), when Jakob eventually DOES meet Dan, do you think it likely that he would have connected any dots? Is his shock (and following questions) more likely due to finding out he's Cyra or is there a bit of realization that this was an adventurer he'd heard of mixed in? I realize that it's likely you don't know fully Jakob's DMFA-canon thought process as well as you know his PF-canon self, but I figured it may be worth an ask.

I'd say that in his own canon, Jakob very seriously considered the possibility that Dan was 'Cubi, especially since Fa'Lina seemed so interested on the last page of Dark Angel (it is quite likely that she had foreseen Dan's arrival).

In DMFA, my take would be that Jakob panicked because Dan was Destania's child, and she is a very well-known psychopath.  Like Mink, most sensible people are going to assume that Dan is as bloodthirsty and cruel as she was.

AmberCross

Oho! I missed that going through the first time. The Ti'Fiona review she wants is one he never made because he got distracted I suppose, and Falina probably knows that but would be giving him a hard time anyway. One can never really tell with omniscient beings after all... As for the DMFA-canon speculation, that makes sense. Thanks!

Tapewolf

Since it's new I figure I should probably give people a push.   The new backstory, replacing Dark Angel starts here:
http://www.projectfuturecomic.com/criticalmass.php

Gabi

~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly